AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

So... where IS the correct information?

Old 04-09-2005, 01:02 PM
J_R

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default So... where IS the correct information?

Since the last election, this forum has grown in the number of participants. We continually see folks on here that have opinions based on what they believe to be facts. Often the “facts” are in dispute.

So… where are the facts? How do we know what is uninformed opinion and what is actually the truth? Here are some of the sources that come to mind. These are available to any AMA member. In some cases, the AMA is allowed to charge for copies of documents, so be aware of that in making requests.

The Safety Code, AMA by-laws , field suggestions, frequency information, and much more is containedin the AMA Membership Manual posted here: http://www.modelaircraft.org/PDF-files/memanual05.pdf .

A tremendous amount of information is posted on the AMA site in the .pdf section. It was recently updated and is now much easier to use and locate the information you are looking for. http://www.modelaircraft.org/acrobat.asp

A copy of the insurance policy is available, at a charge of $5 to make the copy, from the Special Services Department. Be aware that it is a large document that requires the ability to read and understand an insurance policy. Synopsis' are available in the .pdf section on the AMA site. IMO, the best synopsis is contained in the Club Charter Kit posted here: http://www.modelaircraft.org/PDF-files/2005clubkit.pdf . If you read it, read it carefully and read it all. Most common questions are addressed by this document.

Questions about Competition or CD's can most often be answered by looking in the Competition Regulations found here: http://www.modelaircraft.org/compreg.asp .

The AMA's most recent financial statements are posted in the Member's Only Section. Typically, the last year will be posted about the end of April, after it has been presented to the EC by the EVP. Also in the Member's Only Section is a list of committees.

How have the people we have elected to the BOD (EC) voted on previous issues? What does the BOD do in their meetings? The answers to these questions lie in two places. The more recent EC meetings minutes are here: http://www.modelaircraft.org/ECnews....A6C0D491ED0010 . They go back to 1999. If you want information on previous EC meetings it becomes somewhat more difficult to find them. Many, or at least a synopsis of the meetings, are in the Model Aviation Magazine Archives located in the Members Only section on the AMA web site ( http://www.modelaircraft.org/default.asp ). For the most recent meeting of the EC, there is no charge for a copy of the EC minutes. For older meetings there is a copy charge. Copies can be requested from Mary Lou Vojslavek at AMA HQ. Her e-mail address is on the AMA site. Notes: Nowhere will actions in Executive Session be disclosed. Also keep in mind that Minutes are not official until the EC has accepted them (at the next EC meeting), so if you will accept unofficial Minutes, let that be known in your request. Generally, they are available about 30 days after the EC meeting (the 30 day comment period given to the EC members by the by-laws).

Often EC meeting minutes reference Addendums. Up until recently, Mary Lou had to physically make a copy and send them, snail mail, to the individual requesting them. (You do have to request them separately from the Minutes.) The Addendums are now in electronic format and she can send you a copy on request, if things go as expected, for future meetings.

Who are the people running the AMA at the staff level? Are there any staff members related to Board of Director (EC) members? Is Model Aviation Magazine really required by the IRS to be a 501 (c) 3? Do any of the BOD members have conflicts of interest? What, specifically, does the AMA do to qualify for a 501 (c) 3, since there are many different possibilities? Well... it turns out that the IRS requires each organization that wants 501 (c) 3 status to occasionally file a form. That form is a form 1023. The blank form is here, so that you can see what must be submitted: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1023.pdf . In the instructions for form 1023 ( http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1023.pdf ) we find that any member can request a copy of form 1023 from the organization.

Occasionally, I find something that raises a question, which I can't find the answer to, in the normal sources. Writing an e-mail or calling generally returns the information I am looking for. You will find the staff very helpful. The members of the EC range from "guarded" in their responses, to very open. I prefer those that will tell me when I ask a question that they can not, or will not answer, and that do tell me what I want to know when they can. I have also found it useful to ask questions face to face, particularly at shows. The list of staff members on the AMA site also includes the responsibilities of the staff member. This should allow you to request the information from the correct staff member. E-mail and phone numbers for staff and EC are found here: http://www.modelaircraft.org/contact.asp

FINALLY, A MATTER OF ETIQUETTE:

If you intend to post information gleaned from personal contact, an e-mail or a phone call, ask permission. Use the same rules that you would if you were posting information from a friend. It's just common courtesy to let someone know their words may wind up posted on the internet. If you don't, you will find responses become more guarded. What would you do if it were your words being posted? If you are in "attack mode", you are less likely to get a response.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:55 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: So... where IS the correct information?

this post should be a "sticky" for sure ORjust a waste of time
Old 12-15-2005, 09:23 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So, lets make it a sticky...
Old 12-15-2005, 11:25 PM
Hossfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Jim Branaum

NAH, let's not. Nothing there worth the time and effort anymore.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:46 PM
YNOT

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

JR, your in charge of always finding the facts.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:54 PM
J_R

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

ORIGINAL: Jim Branaum

NAH, let's not. Nothing there worth the time and effort anymore.
Hey Horrace

Merry Christmas. Cheer up. To paraphrase a prior post by you: There is a perfectly good , unused, year coming up. (sorry for the misquote, but it is close)

Old 12-16-2005, 08:05 AM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Merry Christmas y'all, and a happy new year!

Safe Flying!
Old 12-16-2005, 09:23 AM
RCJake-rcu
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

JR,

Thanks for the info. It's great to know where one can go for answers.

Jake

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
Old 12-21-2005, 01:35 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agree with YNOT (for a change). If I want facts I'll ask JR.

If I want opinions, I'll tell you what they are.