AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA Video

Old 04-09-2005, 06:24 PM
spicy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default AMA Video

As I have recieved a letter from AMA requesting to pay, or return the unsolicited video, I did a little research:
I copied the following from the US postal service web site.

If a company sends you a gift in the mail, but you didn't order it, the item is yours, and you are under no obligation to pay anything (regardless of the mail class).
You, the consumer, may only legally be sent two types of merchandise through the mail without your consent or agreement:
• Free samples which are clearly and conspicuously marked as such.
• Merchandise mailed by a charitable organization that is soliciting contributions.
And in these two cases, you can consider the merchandise a gift if you wish. In all other situations, it is illegal to send merchandise to someone, unless that person has previously ordered or requested it.
If you do not wish to pay for unsolicited merchandise or make a donation to a charity sending such an item, you may do one of three things (in each case, by law, you have no obligation to the sender):
• If you have not opened the package, you may mark it "Return to Sender," and the Postal Service™ will return it with no additional postage charged to you.
• If you open the package and don't like what you find, you may throw it away.
• If you open the package and like what you find, you may keep it for free. In this instance, "finders-keepers" applies unconditionally.
Furthermore, it is illegal for a company that sends you unordered merchandise to follow the mailing with a bill or dunning communication.
If you are aware of violations of the federal law prohibiting the mailing of unordered merchandise, or if you have personally had difficulty with such items--especially if you are sent statements demanding payment for the merchandise--you should contact you local postmaster or the nearest Postal Inspector.
Note: These rules are codified in Title 39, United States Code, Section 3009.
Old 04-09-2005, 09:12 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: AMA Video

They even state that it is 'free' but not in so many words.....

Jerry
Old 04-10-2005, 06:39 AM
bhouin
My Feedback: (106)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I received that same letter. There is a line in the letter that states you are under no obligation to do anything.
Old 04-10-2005, 01:46 PM
b17flyer
My Feedback: (32)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

read My letter!
so now AMA members are nothing but a a club to try to frighten us out of more money!
If they try to collect I'm sueing. WAIT maybe we should start a class action suit?

All AMA MENBERS SHOULD BE PO
this is not what i joined for.
I,m Highly upset at these practices
IMPEACH DAVE BROWN!!
and your not thanked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-11-2005, 11:38 PM
Mi28

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was supposed to get a free coin with mine also but didn't see it. I then got a letter maybe a month latter telling me that they had not heard from me or got the CD back. They are not going to either.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:05 AM
Jim Thomerson

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I marked mine REFUSED and put it back in the mailbox. Got the dunning letter yesterday and called customer service number at the AMA library. Spoke with a congenial person who took my name off the list. It has been said that this project has cost the AMA nothing, yet we are paying for it being serviced out of the AMA library. [:'(]

Jim
Old 04-12-2005, 12:09 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Jim Thomerson

<<snip>> It has been said that this project has cost the AMA nothing, yet we are paying for it being serviced out of the AMA library. [:'(]

Jim
I've heard that quote, about the project not costing the AMA any money. However, from the responses I'm seeing, it has cost the AMA some credibility and good will.

I wasn't particularly enthused about getting this "Free Offer". Nor am I happy when insurance solicitations come in clearly marked with ASME sources. I wish AMA, SAE, ASME, etc. would NOT hand out my address to these solicitors.

Just my opinion.
Dave Olson
Old 04-16-2005, 10:01 PM
Dart373
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was kind of insulted that they stooped to the begging level myself.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:00 AM
Dlavp47

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I got mine in the mail. Viewed it. Sent it back the way the directions said, an still got letter stating that they had not recieved anything from me. I just threw the letter away.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:40 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I never got a vid. Wonder how those were chosen to receive it and who not to?
Old 04-19-2005, 12:31 PM
J_R

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

JohnVH

Interesting question. I bet Tom Schwyn at HQ could shed some light on the selection process. If you really want to know, why not ask him? His phone and e-mail address is on the AMA site.

JR
Old 04-20-2005, 04:26 PM
lukeshort

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You guys make me laugh. AMA is your organization. If you don't want the disc just send it back. If you are really so totally personally offended why not resign from AMA and start your own national club? In the meantime spare me your belly achin' posting your grief with such trivial nonsense.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:57 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Actually, the better solution is to NOT send it back, so it costs them some money...so they won't do it again.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:21 PM
aviti
My Feedback: (54)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think the AMA just did this to see how many of the members would get upset and outraged over nothing! It seems to have worked! Let's summarize: You get a video, can view and keep it by paying 9 dollars, keep it as a free gift, or used the pre-paid postage to send it back (usually just requiring a trip to your mailbox the next day when yu are getting you own mail). The company who is doing this made it no cost to the AMA (us). The follow-up letter was sent to everyone regardless if they paid or not (see it costs more money to track who actually paid or sent the video back and only send letters to the remainder).

I don't see what the big deal is but I am glad something was said on RCU because I read this more often than I read my junk mail...now I don't have to read the letter than came with the DVD today.

The only way I know how bad this hobby is doing is by reading the "sky is falling" posts on the AMA Forum! If I didn't read this, I'd just be going to the field and having fun like the other 99% of the flyers. To keep my spirits up though, I only read the AMA Forum about once a month...if I read it more I'd have to find a new hobby!
Old 04-28-2005, 09:48 AM
Marty O

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I thought it was rather suprising to see that the AMA chose to feature the various aircraft that they don't want to insure on the video.
The B-25 that weighed in at 95 pounds and the 75 pound Boeing airliner and the Turbines.
Makes me think that they are rather eager to use them to spur interest and bad mouth them at the same time.

Marty O
Old 04-28-2005, 11:16 AM
Gordito Volador
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I paid the money right away when I got the video, then got a dunning letter! To add insult to injury my wife who is also an AMA member got her "Free Video" yesterday. This is just plain tacky.

Bill Adkins
AMA L6243
Old 04-28-2005, 06:52 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Marty O

I thought it was rather suprising to see that the AMA chose to feature the various aircraft that they don't want to insure on the video.
The B-25 that weighed in at 95 pounds and the 75 pound Boeing airliner and the Turbines.
Makes me think that they are rather eager to use them to spur interest and bad mouth them at the same time.

Marty O

Great observation.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:40 AM
Super D

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I dont agree with this AMA business,or marketing decision. I would imagine most of us would just perfer cheaper annual dues.

I just recently re-joined the AMA, after 3-4 years, I havent gotten any member ID or anything but the video and a coin. BTW I joined 3-30-05 so I should have recieved a welcome packet or something by now.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:07 AM
gow589
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Was the tape sent and marked by the AMA themself or did they outsource the whole thing to another company?
Old 04-29-2005, 10:32 AM
abel_pranger

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: gow589

Was the tape sent and marked by the AMA themself or did they outsource the whole thing to another company?
The marketeers call it an "affinity program."

Affinity, n., inherent likeness or agreement; close resemblance or connection.

IOW, for a percentage of the sales, AMA allows a merchandiser to sell his product under the fictitious appearance to the purchaser that he is dealing with AMA, a name he knows and trusts. Essentially a deceit to gain a dishonest advantage for the obscure merchandiser in exchange for a few shekels to AMA for use of its name.

Abel
Old 05-02-2005, 06:50 PM
Rebsix
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My video came in the mail the other day and I rather enjoyed watching it. The first thing I said when I looked at the package was "Wow, this is pretty nice." Then for some reason, I thought about what the response would be on RCU, and I think it's sad. The video might as well have been a box of dog doo according to some. "I'm mad that they sent me this video, but I'm really peeved that I didn't get my coin!!!"
Now I have a question....
What if we replaced the word and the item "video" with "kit", "ARF", "4-stroke","$20 Tower coupon" ....etc.... would the AMA still be the Evil Empire for sending it to you, and would you throw it in the trash?

Lighten up.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:06 PM
Wing-Ding

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I too received the unsolicited video in the mail. At first I was irritated because I thought I was going to have to make a special trip to the post office to return it. But then I noticed at the bottom of the letter that I could keep it and was under no obligation to either return or pay for it.

The video was fun to watch except I felt the "How To" parts of it were weak. I felt there should have been more background given when, as an example, glow engine tuning was demonstrated. It made sense to me, but then I already know how to tune an engine (well at least I'd like to think I do). I think a beginner would have been confused.

Old 05-02-2005, 07:49 PM
Live Wire

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

YOU people are getting me to want to open the box! Does any one have the cable to connect the CD to my TV
Old 05-03-2005, 10:19 AM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Rebsix

My video came in the mail the other day and I rather enjoyed watching it. The first thing I said when I looked at the package was "Wow, this is pretty nice." Then for some reason, I thought about what the response would be on RCU, and I think it's sad. The video might as well have been a box of dog doo according to some. "I'm mad that they sent me this video, but I'm really peeved that I didn't get my coin!!!"
Now I have a question....
What if we replaced the word and the item "video" with "kit", "ARF", "4-stroke","$20 Tower coupon" ....etc.... would the AMA still be the Evil Empire for sending it to you, and would you throw it in the trash?

Lighten up.
I was unable to find in your message where you said you had sent in your money since you liked it so well!

Old 05-03-2005, 01:41 PM
CSpierings
My Feedback: (29)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

MartyO's response above about highlighting so many of the planes that the AMA seems to have issues with was the first thing that struck me about the video.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service