Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Ref AMA web Chamber After Hours

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Ref AMA web Chamber After Hours

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 02:07 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ref AMA web Chamber After Hours

Since some think I only bash AMA, I believe in compliments when AMA does well. [8D] Check AMA web news for item.

Sent to AMA: Subject; Chamber After Hours

Good Start: Charity does begin at home. A-OK

Now if all kinds of information about AMA, model aviation (the SPORT not the magazine), the recreational values thereof and all the goodwill established by the FAI programs could just flood the State Department along with all the National News Media, it would be interesting to see how things start filtering down to those local politicians when Clubs were soliciting flying sites. Just keep it going day in day out. >>>"Never give up for that is just the place the tide will turn." H.B. Stowe <<<<
Then every Junior-Senior entering the NATs should certainly have his picture in a local hometown newspaper regardless of his placing, just a Participant if nothing else.
There are a lot more golden opportunities.

Horrace Cain
AMA L-93

edit: used wrong word;
Old 05-16-2005, 12:49 PM
Hossfly

Default RE: Ref AMA web Chamber After Hours

Some interest in the item above: right from the top.

Here is his response with my responses back inlaid within the quotes.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thank you Mr. Brown for your time, and very interesting response.

In a message dated 5/16/2005 10:35:27 AM Central Standard Time, [email protected] writes:
Ah...yes.....longing for the good old days....

This was "SOP" during the Navy Nats days, but we have drifted away from it in modern times. Numerous attempts to revive the "hometown press release" program have met with difficulty convincing the participants that it is worthwhile,and they refuse to participate.

Should we make such participation a "requirement" of Nats entry ?? Should we disqualify anyone who refuses to fill out a press release?? This would be very un-popular with the entrants, but may benefit the sport, in the overall sense.
As I look over the AMA Bylaws, Article II, Purposes, I see many more items from the "....primary objective of the AMA..." and others, (c) (h) (i) (j) (n) (o) (p) that support the advancement and recognition of model aviation much more so than the NON-EXISTING item to run a popularity poll for the contestants. Along with a minor's release and parental consent, a press-release would be a MANDATORY item for each Jr-Sr. NATs participant. No release-No fly.
Promotion of the sport should be paramount. In our national government that power given Congress, "...to promote the general welfare," certainly does Pi$$ me off much more than not. If I have to live with all that then a NATs contender can well be satisfied with having a NATs available and can provide the required items. [8D]

Not an easy decision.....the Nats is, already, on life support, in terms of participation, and would this be a shot in the arm....or a shot in the head...........

Unfortunately, many, if not most, modelers do not get the connection between participation in this type of program, and the overall health of our sport.....how do we change that mindset?
Your neglect made the set. Now get busy and UN-SET it.

I agree that this would be a good thing,,,,but it would require the participation of people who do not seem to be inclined to participate.
Come on Dave, Is that the real reason or is it that AMA doesn't want the additional administrative work? If AMA wants it, it gets done. You don't seem to give a big concern about all those unneeded AMA Safety Code rules. You seem to keep CM all set where he makes rules that you never even know about, and gives out information to clubs that changes with the wind.

We do a poor job of making "heroes" of our "heroes", and we need to be more pro-active in this arena. Part of the problem is the number of events we fly, and the "watering down" effect this has on each national champion. It's tough to consider the Nats winner in, say, IMAC, Pattern, or Pylon (which class of any of these is the Natl Champ?), in comparison with the winners of "control line, ornithopter, Navy Carrier", or some other such event.
Dave, I never even mentioned anything about the National Champion program. You people rather dissolved that item many years ago. All I suggested was that each Jr-Sr be publicized as at least a participant.

The question becomes....Is the Nats for the participants, or for the advancement of the sport? A VERY difficult question to answer, and, certainly, a matter of opinion. The concensus, based on past decisions, is that it is for the participants, and, thus, the unpopular gathering of personal data for news releases, has been shoved onto the back burner. Is that the right decision.......THAT is the $64k question.

Dave Brown
Dave, my first response stated my thoughts. If you have trouble making a decision on this question, "Is the NATs .... of the sport?" then I feel for you, but I definitely cannot touch you.
The AMA Bylaws state ".... the primary object of the AMA is to promote and foster educational and scientific advancement in model aeronautics..." The NATs definitely contributes to that, yet when related to such items as (c) "To encourage through recognition, leadership in model aeronautics," then requiring a press release, using name and city only, is not too much to ask. A NATs participant IS leadership in modeling, recognizing that person among his local populace is recognition.

Dave you state, "We do a poor job of making "heroes" of our "heroes", and we need to be more pro-active in this arena." With that I certainly do agree. The answer is to GET OFF CENTER, and DO SOMETHING. Make a positive effort and stop rationalizing all your failures. Rationalization will not accomplish much. I know because have far too many experiences with that item. [&o]

Horrace Cain

"Look and you will find it -- what is unsought will go undetected." Sophocles
"Never give up for that is just the place the tide will turn." H.B. Stowe
"A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them." P.J. O'Rourke
Old 05-17-2005, 11:26 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hossfly
Then every Junior-Senior entering the NATs should certainly have his picture in a local hometown newspaper regardless of his placing, just a Participant if nothing else.
Hard to tell. Is this your statement?

If so, how do you get this to happen? Last I checked, Joe Schmoe off the street has no say over the editorial content of the "local hometown newspaper." Seriously, I'd like to know. Some "old fart" flying his "toy plane" in "competition" is about as newsworthy as a sneeze in most markets. Maybe if it were "Naked Chick Flys RC Airplane Free Beer," it might make the paper if and only if it's a slow day on the obituary page...
Old 05-17-2005, 01:44 PM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: Matt Kirsch

ORIGINAL: Hossfly
Hard to tell. Is this your statement?

If so, how do you get this to happen? Last I checked, Joe Schmoe off the street has no say over the editorial content of the "local hometown newspaper." Seriously, I'd like to know. Some "old fart" flying his "toy plane" in "competition" is about as newsworthy as a sneeze in most markets. Maybe if it were "Naked Chick Flys RC Airplane Free Beer," it might make the paper if and only if it's a slow day on the obituary page...
My statement.

It's only required that the information be submitted. Most seem to wait for someone to come and ask. I don't have much faith in the old-saying that all things come to him that sits and waits.
Examples: Forget the name but in the northwest suburbs of Chicago-land there is a newspaper that focuses on the local areas. There are eons of topics about locals and their activities, that would not be found in the Tribune.
Here in Houston area the Chronicle would probably not run the item, however the weekly insert for the local suburban communities would most likely have it. It carries everything we send them. Other clubs get attention in the supplement for their own local area.
Being familiar with several other local hometown/county newspapers, these papers go for local news. Taking care of the locals is good business as more locals buy the paper and therefore the paper has more 'readers' when selling ad space.
As I said to Brown, get off the backside, and DO IT! OTOH I realize that in NY things may be different. The populace there does expect everything to be done for them, as evidenced by whom they send to the Senate.