Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

leader member

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

leader member

Old 05-20-2005, 12:24 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leader member

OK Guys I need some info or direction to the proper contact within the AMA.

At tonight’s club meeting one of our members, who is a leader member, made the statement that to become a leader member a modeler must be in the hobby for 40 years.
I have never heard of such a requirement but who knows…stranger things are true.

He also stated that the AMA revokes memberships from members at the rate of three or four memberships per month at the discretion or direction of leader members requests…haven’t heard of that one either.

Is this correct or is this guy just full of it?

I need to know and I am not sure who to contact to get concise info. Please feel free to enlighten me.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:30 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Default RE: leader member

I have heard of a Leader Club, in fact I am in one. Its Hossfly's club. I'm pretty sure he is the one that crossed all of the T's and dotted the I's to get that status. All of the club members received Gold Leader Club AMA wings. I don't know about the Leader Member being anything more than that.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:03 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

definately do not believe everything, or much of anything, that guy tells ya.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:17 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

That guy is suffering from "dillusions of grandeur".
Old 05-20-2005, 02:18 AM
joey_d1119

sounds like a problem member
Old 05-20-2005, 05:48 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

OK Guys I need some info or direction to the proper contact within the AMA.

At tonight’s club meeting one of our members, who is a leader member, made the statement that to become a leader member a modeler must be in the hobby for 40 years.
I have never heard of such a requirement but who knows…stranger things are true.

He also stated that the AMA revokes memberships from members at the rate of three or four memberships per month at the discretion or direction of leader members requests…haven’t heard of that one either.

Is this correct or is this guy just full of it?

I need to know and I am not sure who to contact to get concise info. Please feel free to enlighten me.
On issues like this it is best to go to the AMA web site, publications and see if there is something that covers this. In this case it is well covered.
http://www.modelaircraft.org/PDF-Files/907.pdf states:

I hereby apply for LEADER MEMBERSHIP in the Academy of Model Aeronautics in the category for which I am best suited by reason of experience, profession, and present model aviation activity. The requirement of being a member for three years the following motion was made on 10/27/90: The Vice President of each district may waive this requirement for extraordinary situations and/or conditions. (Only Open AMA Members, 19 years or older, who have been members for the three years prior to application, are eligible.)

The membership manual defines Leader Member as:

LEADER MEMBERS. Those Open members who have demonstrated an above-average interest and/or participation in AMA matters and who qualify in accordance with Executive
Council-approved requirements. Which are rather difficult to pin down.

Of course this in itself is rather vague - as are a number of definitions and rules in the manual.

Unfortunately the application does not bar people from being a leader member that have no clue as to how the AMA operates or what the rules/regulations/proceedures are.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:09 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: kingwoodbarney

I have heard of a Leader Club, in fact I am in one. Its Hossfly's club. I'm pretty sure he is the one that crossed all of the T's and dotted the I's to get that status. All of the club members received Gold Leader Club AMA wings. I don't know about the Leader Member being anything more than that.

Thanks Barney, however you give credit where credit is not due. Club Officers like Jim Stearner, Roger Heumannn, Howard Power, and several others were the team leaders in getting Jetero the Gold Leader status. Actually I wanted to maintain the member limitation of 150 members, however that had to go because a GOLD LEADER Club cannot have a limited number membership. Leader Clubs are also explained in the Membership Manual.

Red gave the basic Leader Member thing. There are two types: Administrative and Technical which I believe are self-explanatory. The status has to be applied for. Red says "Membership Manual", however, more specific, the definition is in the Bylaws, Art. III (d).

At one time, when a person applied for and obtained a Contest Director's License, then performed the event and properly submitted the Contest report, one year later the Leader Member was bestowed automatically. AMA Pres. Don Lowe and Tech Director Bob Underwood, in a purge of the leader ranks, put a stop to that. Funny thing is that neither knew where the authority for that was. In a telephone conversation with Underwood I guided him to the spot where the EC had placed the info.[>:]

Now WHY would AMA Hierarchy care about the number of Leader Members in the system? IMO, simply because LEADER MEMBERS VOTE ON BYLAWS CHANGES. That brings up more stories.

Reference thread subject and the man with the info: Two choices: Stay clear or get some of what he's smoking!!

H. Cain, CD since 1963 / Leader 1964
Old 06-07-2005, 07:01 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been a Leader Member for nearly 15 years now. It has nothing to do with being in a Leader club. I was sent an application from the AMA after I completed my third year as treasurer of the club I belong to. As someone else posted, there are two categories, Technical and Administrative. I qualified as an Administrative.

We had the oportunity for several years to become a Leader Club, but only a simple minority of the club members thought it was worth having. A neighboring club did get it for the feeling of prestige.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:20 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I was under the impression that when you becasue a CD, that you were automatically a Leader Member.
If this is not true, what do I need to do to be upgraded from CD to LM?
Old 06-08-2005, 08:43 AM
50+AirYears

Check with the AMA. Phone call, E-mail and/or web site. Like I say, mine came as a result of being a chartered club officer for several years (still stuck with it). The technical side I think may require that you be in the design or manufacturing side of the hobby.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:43 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Geistware

I was under the impression that when you becasue a CD, that you were automatically a Leader Member.
If this is not true, what do I need to do to be upgraded from CD to LM?

Read post #7

Go to the AMA documents section, get a Leader Member Application and make an application.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:28 PM
50+AirYears

And don't forget, Leader Member and Leader Club are two completely different things. One recognizes individual contribution, and the other recognizes activities of an entire club.