Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Safety issue at non-ama field

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Safety issue at non-ama field

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 12:12 AM
submikester
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safety issue at non-ama field

Edited.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:34 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts
Default RE: Safety issue at non-ama field

sounds like a good way to get on some hothead's turn on the radio and see who we can shoot down today list. i would not involve myself with any attempt to remove this guy.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:46 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

.... I feel I am reponsible and considerate of other pilots and I certainly do my best to follow the AMA safety guildines to the best of my abilities. I grew up flying models and in full scale airplanes and it was always stressed to me that safety is what gets me home after a good day flying. Sure I've made my mistakes but who hasn't - mistakes I can forgive but constant and blatant disregard and disrespect I can't.
Submikester, many kudos to you Sir, for being a Gentleman with character and feeling for your fellow man, and one that acts with self-discipline.

Being in a club where you have no control over those that may use your home-facility is a very difficult to be in. You do well to just survive.

Just strictly opinion, I seriously doubt that going to AMA could do any good whatsoever in your case. Even if AMA booted him (never gonna' happen) you would only place your own club-members in a more critical position since the bad-guy's insurance would not be available to help someone that bad-guy may injure.[&o]

Actually you have more than one problem person. Your CD should also be voted down for future events. Get a stronger willed individual for that job. What about your Club Officers allowing a CD to ignore such as you describe? Is there also a problem there?

Either Mongo's solution or some appropriate vigilante-action may be your only answer that would not just add fuel to the fire.

Old 06-01-2005, 03:18 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't see anything wrong with a take off straight away from the pit area, across the run way. This is safer than a take off that is parallel to the pit area, any day. A good .40 size 3D plane is safer taking off from a picnic table than some of the lead sleds that I've seen that do it, "the right way". Anyway, you shouldn't have to wait until someone gets drilled in the side of the head by this guy [if he is as bad as you say he is]. Just bear in mind the proverb about those who live in glass houses. You get what you pay for at a field arrangement like this. Just keep your wits about you when this guy is around. If enough of the regulars are in agreement to not give this guy the time of day, you will eventually win out.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:01 PM
Live Wire

Sub
Be carefull the hot shot will have a place to fly and you will be the one in hot water. Some people only look out for # 1 and the hell with the rest
Edit
Print copies of this thread ad hand them out at the field![:@]
Old 06-01-2005, 12:20 PM
submikester

Old 06-01-2005, 12:56 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

You're right about your field. I was thinking more about ours, where a busy day would be 2 planes up at the same time. The idea to print this thread and display it is good . The guy who has the "prima donna, gotta be the center of attention" type attitude should be described in better detail, so there will be little doubt who we are talking about here.Take video of the safety violations, it might be useful someday.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:11 PM
Live Wire

Sub
It works just make sure you are doing what you intend to. You don"t only get rid of the bad guy you can loose friend and people you need.
A proven fact And don"t ask how I no
Spelling
Old 06-01-2005, 01:29 PM
submikester

Old 06-01-2005, 02:23 PM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

If a relative newb may jump in here...

Seems to me the right way to address this is a little bit of what my Dad used to call 'polite harassment'.

You say club members have spoken to this individual in the past...I suggest they (and the rest of you) keep doing so. Politely.

In other words, the next time he pulls an unsafe stunt like flying over spectators, he should hear about it...POLITELY....from 3, 4, 12, 100 different people the moment he lands.

"Hey, nice job on that [insert aerobatic move of your choice]. Really well done. Hate to be a wet blanket, but I noticed during that flight that at one point your plane left the appropriate flying area, and overflew the spectator area. Since the city is kind enough to provide this field for our free use, we're all very concerned that flights be conducted in the safest manner possible, which includes not endangering spectators. I'm sure it was a simple oversight on your part, but we'd all really appreciate it if you could display better SA during future flights. Thanks."

The key here is that he hear this from EVERYONE at the field, and hear it AS SOON as he lands...EVERY time he does something unsafe.

Eventually, no matter how hard-headed he is, one of two things is bound to happen...either he gets tired of 'all those do-gooders out there' and goes elsewhere, or he starts behaving himself to avoid the harassment. Either way, problem solved.

Granted, as mongo suggested...I'd probably make a point to have buddies keep a CLOSE eye on what channel(s) he's using, just in case he decides it's time to shoot someone down.

Old 06-01-2005, 06:41 PM
Liberator

At our field if you make an error, or do something stupid, there is usually a chorus of people yelling what the infraction is.

YO, STAY AWAY FROM THE PITS!!!!

It is worth it to stay on the good side just to keep from feeling like a microbe.

Tom
Old 06-02-2005, 12:00 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think your club should write a formal letter to the city informing them
of this individuals actions also it may good to have some witness to
sign the letter.

the city then should investigate and take appropriate action to insure
everyone coducts themself in a safe manner when flying at the field
if the city fails to take reasonable action they could be lible if this
individual should injur someone.

if the city cannot or willnot take action it may be time for your club
to find somewhere else to fly so club rules can be enforced.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:13 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

I flew at non-AMA fields for about 13 years. The core group, the guys there day in and day out were the ones that fine tuned the procedures. That is a no-fly-zone over there. We come in thru that break in the trees and land north or south. That sort of thing. And every now and then someone that we considered reckless would show up. And you just tell them to thier face everytime they do something wrong. If it persist, then you tell them again, then Charlie tells them, then Frank tells them, and so on and so on. And pretty soon, they either get thier act together or they spend every single minute at the field listening to someone complain to them. and they leave. Either way, its thier choice to abide by the groups accepted behavior or leave. It works. It isn't that hard to do.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:32 AM
submikester

Old 06-02-2005, 12:55 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I understand what you are saying good flying locations are indeed
very rare in so calif, on the other hand if someone is causing a
safety concern it should at least be brought to the attention of the
city they are the only ones who have authorty to do something.

if there is an accdent or some altercation with the individual that
could also lead to field closeing .
Old 06-02-2005, 08:57 PM
Live Wire

It all comes down to who kisses who, and most people will not let it go that far unless they are looking for POWER or to say they are the best. I am an EXPERT I have been flying for 5 YEARS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry I am still learning after 60 years, you are never to old to learn
Think this one out BB
Old 06-02-2005, 09:24 PM
Live Wire

It gets to bad when people have to hide behind a PC and can not meet a person Face to Face. and to many people no who you are
Edit
If you are following me around RCU just to see what I am Posting you are wasteing your time, I post what I feel and try to keep it within FACT!!!!!
Old 06-03-2005, 09:43 AM
bhole74

Sounds like you do have a problem here. Complaining to the city will most likely cause a loss of the field. It must be handeled from within, like said previously, by EVERYONE. Our field is owned by the POA and is free usage barring any problems, and we would lose it over a complaint such as this. We do have a few who fly over the pits frequently, although not always intentional. We have learned to take safety into our own hands. When said person flies, all eyes watch and prepare to take cover. You must protect yourself if the others won't.[]
Old 06-05-2005, 09:27 PM
Jackjet
My Feedback: (1)

What channel is this 'pilot' on ?
dirty deeds - [sm=punching.gif]done dirt cheap..........

Jackjet
Old 06-05-2005, 11:24 PM
emnm79
My Feedback: (5)

Step 1: Build 10 dollar SPAD.
Step 2: Mid Air.
Step 3: fix spad, wait for next plane

Dirty deeds, done not so cheap, but alot more action...

Seriously though, I would just ask him nicely after he does something, just let him know... if gets an attitude, its spad time baby... make sure you catch him while hes going against the pattern
Old 06-06-2005, 02:37 PM
aviti
My Feedback: (54)

SO the old "if you can't beat em join em" theory? Yes, take matters into you own hands...cause an intentional midair...maybe a fist fight will break out with the planes still flying uncontrolled and kill someone. Shoot him down? That sounds safe.

If everyone else at the field agrees that this guy's flying is so terribly reckless, I think as adults you ought to be able to handle this. If not, then why stop at trying to midair his plane...bring out a shotgun and take him out that way...no, don't do that, I'm only being sarcastic...that's not a safe way to resolve this...
Old 06-06-2005, 09:54 PM
Live Wire

Is this really going to come down to who rules the roost like a bunch of chickens. It seem that it happens all over the country some one looking for power, but when something happens where are they It is easy to stir up a mess but easer to disapire when the ***** hits the fan,
Old 06-07-2005, 06:41 PM
submikester

Well, unfortunately I am an adult and I won't be having an intentional midair with him nor will I resort to any other form of childish retaliation.

The whole premise is that he is an AMA member who is not following the safety rules close enough to be acceptible. The fact is we all break the rules one time or another but either not seriously enough to be noticed or not on purpose in which things can be forgiven reasonably.

I don't want to 'rule the roost' either I just want where I fly to be safe; it isn't and it's not just because of this one fellow - there are dozens of guys out there like this fellow (he's just a stand out offender).
Old 06-09-2005, 10:30 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

I know the guy well, talk to him all the time at the field. I tell him if I think he is doing something unsafe. He doesn't react well at all to being told what to do and he finds it very amusing that so many people make it their hobby to nitpik what he does instead of just flying.

Because of his devil may care attitude and that he used to be very confrontational when people tried to boss him around he has a reputation that preceeds him. He doesn't really do anything differently than many other rule breakers but get's 99% of the attention for some reason.

My favorite one was everybody saying he flew his plane at a full scale helicopter only to turn away at the last second. I heard it from umpteen club members but the airport police never showed up and the pilot never filed a complaint. When a letter was posted asking for eyewitnesses nobody ever came forward. It just started from some of the old farts who sit in the pits and critisise what everyone is doing but can't hardly fly themselves.

I've only seen him take off across the runway when it isn't very crowded. I havn't seen him fly over anyones head on the flightline. He makes sharp turns close in but no differant than some of the Quicky racers practicing but it's OK for them to do it. The electric flyers fly over our heads repeatedly and behind us and the club put them there. We have a group of Warbird flyers that are much worse to deal with and nobody is trying to get their AMA cards revoked. We have a guy who comes out in the morning, flies well behind the flight line (at the far end of the runway) exceeds the hieght restrictions regularly with a giant scale plane and nobody is saying anything about him. We have a guy who has crashed about 10 large planes in the last year and it's OK with everybody. Jet guys with no AMA waivers that shouldn't own a jet but noone seems to mind.

So what is it with this guy Mike? Why singal him out to get all proactive? It's really simple to not fly when he is in the air if it makes you uncomfortable. If the CD didn't see a problem with him did you talk to the CD and ask why not? Maybe because he wasn't doing any much differant than anyone else but just seems to be a lightning rod for people with nothing better to do than try and control others at the field.

I'll end this rant with one of my favorite stories. He is also known as "the stomper" because he stomped on a trainer that hit him in the leg while he was standing in a pilot station. The trainer was on a buddy cord and the "instructor" is the same person who spread the word about the helicopter incident and loudly complains about many other "infractions".
Old 06-09-2005, 01:11 PM
JasonP
My Feedback: (1)

Edit:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.