AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Renewal no credit?

Old 06-08-2005, 03:28 PM
justinh
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Renewal no credit?

Can someone explain to me why I can get a credit following the first year when I sign up for the months before I registered but not the following years? I first signed up in May so the following year I didn't have to pay the full amount then the next year I let it lapse until around April now this year I try to renew in June and they want $58 what about credit for Jan - March of last year? and next year what about Jan - May this year? I shouldn't have to pay for months when I'm not flying. The lady on the phone told me its $58 wether I renew in Jan or Nov and the prorating is only for the first year. Is this correct? If so what a crock.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:30 PM
rcmiket

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Renewal no credit?

If you don't drive your car for a month do you get a check from your insurance company? Sorry but that's the way it is. I wish we had a choice in this whole mess, but were kinda stuck. Mike
Old 06-08-2005, 06:36 PM
Hossfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

now this year I try to renew in June and they want $58 what about credit for Jan - March of last year? and next year what about Jan - May this year? I shouldn't have to pay for months when I'm not flying.
YUCK! You got your credit the second year. AMA dues are annual rates. You have the choice of flying or not flying. The next thing, I suppose, is that you will be asking for "Day Rates".[8D]
Old 06-08-2005, 09:17 PM
smokingcrater

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rcmiket

If you don't drive your car for a month do you get a check from your insurance company? Sorry but that's the way it is. I wish we had a choice in this whole mess, but were kinda stuck. Mike
actually, that is pretty much correct. Most insurance companies offer seasonal discounts for RV's, motorcycles, and snowmobiles.

your car analogy isn't quite right, as that is your choice not to drive for a month. whereas when it is mid january, -40 outside with a 30 mph wind flying isn't really an option, same as hoping onto my motorcycle.

Old 06-08-2005, 10:29 PM
justinh
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No, but if I buy insurance for a year its good for a year from that date, not until Dec 31. I'm still paying the same monthly rate and not getting screwed. Plus if I wreck that car I have the option of not renewing the policy until its fixed at which time I can get insurance again and not be backcharged for the months while it was inoperable. Also if you have a motorcycle you don't have to pay for insurance during the winter, they have options to only insure it during the warm months.

I'm basically either paying for 5 months of insurance and magazine that I didn't get or paying twice as much for the remaining 7.

ORIGINAL: rcmiket

Old 06-08-2005, 11:19 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

nobody is holding a gun to yer head.

either pay and shut up, or don't pay and shut up.

solves the problem.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:06 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Kinda make the same kind of impression as though asking for hourly rates at a motel.

John
Old 06-09-2005, 07:00 AM
wolfie_47

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Maybe is has something to do with the fact your not buying insurance, your buying a membership in an organization that happens to offer insurance as a benefit. Just maybe...
Old 06-09-2005, 07:06 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That all would be a valid argument if the AMA were simply an insurance company. However, the AMA operates year-round, providing you with all the other benefits of AMA membership, the intangibles that few people appreciate until they find themselves and/or their club mired in a noise lawsuit, on the brink of losing a field, in desperate need of a field, or any of a host of other issues. First thing they do is run cryin' to momma AMA, and suddenly that $58 spent has some value to it. Otherwise, it's "it hasn't happened to me therefore it doesn't happen" and "AMA does nothing for me but take my money and make silly rules that prevent me from having my fun."
Old 06-09-2005, 07:14 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

justinh said:
<<snip>>If so what a crock.
Interesting.

I suppose that health clubs, rental storage facilities, golfing facilities, and parking facilities get the same questions. I rent a storage garage for my Corvette, costs me $60/month if I pay for the year in advance, and something like $70/month if I pay by the month. Whether the car's in the garage or not. I sometimes hear about health club memberships that people are paying for, long after they abandon their workout regimen.

The AMA only offers annual memberships, but if you want to approach them about 3-month memberships, you can try. I suspect that will cost about the same as the annual membership - if you can interest them.

I pay about $100 each for annual memberships in SAE and ASME, and some years the only service I use is the monthly magazines. Never occurred to me to ask for a lower rate because I didn't use 100% of the offered services.

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 06-09-2005, 04:49 PM
rcmiket

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You are buying insurance. Even if your homeowners comes first. The one and only reason I pony up the 58 bucks (God knows what next year holds) is I have no other choice. Our club is private property and we need to cover the owner. The club could care less about the AMA and either do I. They can keep all the crap there instead of mailing it to me. Just fly, enjoy the company, thank God you can. Mike
Old 06-10-2005, 12:14 PM
scottrc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't understand the insurance / health club / rental comparisons you guys used. All of these have options that when you buy into it, it is good from the date you buy it until date it expires which is generally your aniversary date. With my insurance policies, I can pay weekly, monthly, or yearly and change my payment dates at any time and get reimbursed for any overlapse. Health club memberships and rentals, I pay for a full 12 months and get a full 12 months of rights to use the club.

Special interest clubs, organization or association dues are different in that they have date sensitive terms. Meaning that the organization (I belong to several organizations such as SME, Kiwanis, NAR) sets forth specific dates that the membership is good for. Most organizations go from begining date fiscal year to ending date fiscal year and do not offer any pro-rating. This is done so that the least expense and most effeicient ways for handling the paperwork and finacial reporting is maximized. The AMA just happened to offer a pro-rate program for first time members as a membership drive bonus. For them to offer it to all members (which I feel they should and is a backfire from another AMA publicity stunt) would put more burdens on an already strained paperwork handling system.

I usually pay my AMA in April, not only becuuse I am starting to fly in that month, but also my budget has recovered somewhat by then. December is when all my property taxes are due and as we all know, is also the Holiday shopping season. Does it bother me to pay $58 dollars and lose 4 months? No, because I get to spend at least 5 months going to several club sponsored events and having loads of fun, so to me, the amount of flying I get to do with other members during the summer months makes up for the lost time in the winter months. I'm faithful that the AMA doesn't require us to all pay up in November and December and cut us off from being able to pay from after January until the following November.

Scott
Old 06-10-2005, 04:21 PM
lkaras1
My Feedback: (20)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

And another reason the AMA loses a member [sm=lol.gif]
Old 06-10-2005, 04:43 PM
dicknadine

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Why NOT play the game like every one else and pay on schedule.quit the beefing and trying to Beat the game. you might do better at the Crap table. dick
Old 06-12-2005, 05:37 PM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agree with dicknadine, mongo and hossfly. you got your credit the first year same as the rest of us. so be glad you got that and start flying.