Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Caps from cap guns. Allowed in planes by AMA?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Caps from cap guns. Allowed in planes by AMA?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 03:26 PM
sparow89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caps from cap guns. Allowed in planes by AMA?

Are the caps in cap guns allowed to be used in a plane if I were able to make device to pop them?
Old 05-20-2005, 03:30 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Caps from cap guns. Allowed in planes by AMA?

The only things that would deter this idea would be the weight of the igniter and the chance of the spark causing the fuel to combust if your a gasser.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:08 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: sparow89

Are the caps in cap guns allowed to be used in a plane if I were able to make device to pop them?
There are no restrictions on this that I know of, if you are smart enough to figure out how to do it. But why? They would be drowned out by the engine. Or if you had the engine off a pop at a few hundred feet would be hardly distinguishable. Learn to fly first.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:29 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thar' ya' go figurin' them thar' angles and run-arounds. Actually, I agree with Red but just love to expand -- proven by my waist line![:-]

The Safety Code says, "8. I will not operate model aircraft carrying pyrotechnic devices which explode, burn, or propel a projectile of any kind. Exceptions include Free Flight fuses or devices that burn producing smoke and are securely attached to the model aircraft during flight. Rocket motors up to a G-series size may be used, provided they remain firmly attached to the model aircraft during flight. Model rockets may be flown in accordance with the National Model Rocketry Safety Code; however, they may not be launched from model aircraft. Officially designated AMA Air Show Teams (AST) are authorized to use devices and practices as defined within the Air Show Advisory Committee Document."

Read it carefully: It says "....which explode, burn, or propel ..." Then it goes into exceptions. "Exceptions include .... devices that burn producing smoke and are securely attached to the model during flight." It does NOT say that these listed exceptions are all the exceptions. It says "include".
If I had an electric warbird and could figure it out, it would fly past just a popping, but the expended caps would have a spot to be contained.

Enjoy.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:32 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

<snip>
If I had an electric warbird and could figure it out, it would fly past just a popping, but the expended caps would have a spot to be contained.
You disappointed me, Hoss. I expected a Texan to say forget the caps go for at least 12 ga blank shells.

Abel
Old 05-25-2005, 02:41 PM
RichD

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

Read it carefully: It says "....which explode, burn, or propel ..." Then it goes into exceptions. "Exceptions include .... devices that burn producing smoke and are securely attached to the model during flight." It does NOT say that these listed exceptions are all the exceptions. It says "include".

Enjoy.
grammar must be different in Tx

reading it carefully, it says "The Safety Code says, "8. I will not operate model aircraft carrying pyrotechnic devices which explode, burn, or propel a projectile of any kind."

Where is the projectile? there isnt one.

and what needs to be contained? Modern day caps are in a plastic ring, and expel nothing but noise.
Old 05-25-2005, 04:26 PM
Jim Thomerson

Down here in Texas we do understand the meaning of the word OR. How come you don't?

If I were going to do this I would use some sort of magical electronic device which would, at the press of a button, make the sound of six 50's going 600 rounds per minute, or a 30 mm Gatling gun doing however many they do. Maybe a modified locomotive smoke device doing appropriate puffs of smoke. Come on, caps are so 20th Century!

Jim
Old 05-25-2005, 09:40 PM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: Jim Thomerson

Down here in Texas we do understand the meaning of the word OR. How come you don't?
//snip//
Jim

Thanks Jim. As richD said, they do "grammer" differently up there! Heck, I'm married to a D--- Yankee. I try NOT to understand half of what she says.
Old 05-30-2005, 01:55 PM
sparow89

What about blank .22 caliber.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:36 AM
edessa
My Feedback: (1)

The way I see it it's your airplane and you do to it as you please.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:35 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

What about blank .22 caliber.
Remember, yourplane is carrying combustables. The glue, fuel (unless your an electric) and even the faberic can be easliy damaged. When that plane is sealed up and in the air, a lot of vapors build up insideit. Take a wiff inside the fueslage sometime and see if you can identify all the fumes. Now I'm not saying don't do it, just that you need to design the plane from the ground up to carry a system that would guard against the spark damaging the plane.

Scott