Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Our 'better than you' people in the AMA

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Our 'better than you' people in the AMA

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 12:47 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Our 'better than you' people in the AMA

I must publicly apologize to Horrace Cain as I have truly done him a grave disservice. It has been my contention that he would make a terrible officer in and for the AMA. I have failed to ask him to publicly and explicitly explain how and why he is better than any sitting AMA official. That is unfair and unreasonable.

I hereby ask Horrace Cain to explain in explicit detail how he is equal to, or better than the District VIII AMA VP Dr. H. Sanford Frank. Please respond in list format rather than rhetoric. In other words, list out those qualities you have that are better than those presented by your hero, Dr. Frank. To be fair, you should also list those he has that exceed yours.

If you can do that, then we can talk intelligently about other seats on the AMA EC.

The ball is in your court.

Old 06-17-2005, 02:46 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Our 'better than you' people in the AMA

I don't know much about either of you, but my only question would be, why do you think he would be bad and why do you seem to be more holy than though yourself? Feel free to answer in any form, list format included.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:29 PM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He's got you there Jim ...... The balls in your court. You guys have been going at it for a while. lets settle it. Mike
Old 06-17-2005, 09:49 PM
Jim Branaum

ROFLOL!

You really outdid yourself with that one dude.

I am now where near as perfect as you, rcmiket, or Horrace. But I won't spoil your fun. Have at it ...
Old 06-17-2005, 11:57 PM
YNOT

I would vote for Horrace over Sandy in a heartbeat.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:01 AM
TimChurch
My Feedback: (1)

Ynot I respect what you have to say. Could you give more info as to why?
Old 06-18-2005, 09:44 AM
Taildrager-inactive

Got my laugh for today, Jim want's Horrace to play by his rules. ROFLMAO
Old 06-18-2005, 06:12 PM
rcmiket

I'm not perfect I just don't claim to be the AMA watchdog. I'm not the AMA "know it all" and never claimed to be. If you call someone out, then settle it fair and square. I've e-mailed Frank and gotten the same run around as most I'm sure. "AMA the glue that bonds us together" Please give me a break. You say that Horrace would make a terrible officer. WHY? You call this "FUN". Look this is a organization on its way to self destruction. As far as I'm concerned any change is for the better. This is 2005 not 1965. Mike
Old 06-18-2005, 09:07 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think YNOT would be the best choice-but if I tell you why-I would have to kill you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-19-2005, 01:00 AM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: Jim Branaum

I must publicly apologize to Horrace Cain as I have truly done him a grave disservice. It has been my contention that he would make a terrible officer in and for the AMA. I have failed to ask him to publicly and explicitly explain how and why he is better than any sitting AMA official. That is unfair and unreasonable.

I hereby ask Horrace Cain to explain in explicit detail how he is equal to, or better than the District VIII AMA VP Dr. H. Sanford Frank. Please respond in list format rather than rhetoric. In other words, list out those qualities you have that are better than those presented by your hero, Dr. Frank. To be fair, you should also list those he has that exceed yours.

If you can do that, then we can talk intelligently about other seats on the AMA EC.

The ball is in your court.
Jim, the ball can be anywhere, as I am not playing any game not involving anything other than model aviation. If you have balls then bat, kick, whatever you desire to do with them.

In addition, I am not running against Sandy Frank this year. Maybe you haven't heard, but SF still has another year after this '05 to serve his currently elected term. That bridge will get crossed whenever I come to it, if at all.
Another item you may have missed is that I am seeking the position of AMA's Executive Vice President. I have been nominated for that position by a number of wise and conscientious AMA members. It is up to the DVPs and the current EVP -- the Nominating Committee -- to determine if I should be placed on the ballot for the membership's consideration.

The one thing that has been my strong point when in any job is that I am WILLING to WORK HARDER at the task. By the same token some people dislike that characteristic because they don't wish to expend the effort to keep up, and generally seldom do.

Now here is what the EC Nominating Committee will be presented with which to consider placing me on the ballot. You can figure out for yourself if it answers any of your questions. Thanks for the opportunity to present this item to the good people here on RCU.

The formatting generally changes in transmission. I have faith that you can read it.

>>>>>>>>>>
Horrace D. Cain
31619 Bohlssen Road
New Caney, TX 77357

OBJECTIVE: To become the Executive Vice President of the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) via membership
election.
After attaining the position, I will work to develop plans and programs to bring the AMA before
the public’s view along with those in all levels of government to promote a highly favorable reaction to
those in search of Flying Sites. I have plans for developing certain areas of AMA into profit-centers so as
to release more revenue funds to AMA’s field operations. There are other plans in thought, however the
overall objective is to increase the current membership of AMA by one hundred (100) percent within
three (3) years.

QUALIFICATIONS: Financial / Aeromodeling: As a personality, I am a “doerâ€. However the wisdom of age does provide
me with the patience for careful planning prior to “doingâ€, yet I will accept a challenge and can get things done.
I have access to considerable counsel for detailed financial questions. From CPAs to high Management
Accountants, including an individual involved with combination tax accounting & computer networking
to satisfy even Sarbanes-Oxley (2002). Difficult financial questions can well be answered.
In addition, my background with various business arrangements, along with spear-heading out-of- the-box
methods used to better utilize various restricted-funds accounts, provides me with a scope of various
financial management perspectives not often considered by the more traditional personality.
Your reading of these resumes, almost annually, testifies to the point that I am persistent.
Model aviation has been my passion since childhood. I have won many awards in Control-Line and Free-
Flight, along with some in Radio-Control events. I have held “Leader†status since 1964.
I have served as an AMA Nationals’ worker, an RC Contest Coordinator, and District Vice President.
Currently, I am an active Contest Director, a member of the SIGs, IMAA and RCCA, and a member of three
(3) AMA Chartered RC Clubs.
I owned a successful Hobby Shop, Aero Sports, INC., Mt. Prospect, IL 1971-1976. The shop was sold out
to another Hobby Shop due to my interest in other avenues.
My experience in many disciplines of model aviation, along with the Model Industry, being a sports flier as
well as a competition oriented modeler lays a basic groundwork that will provide me with many
opportunities to navigate those skies that I perceive AMA should be flying.

MANAGEMENT: United States Air Force: Managed crew of three highly trained persons in detailed missions consisting
of delivering thermonuclear weapon systems to specific points up to five thousand miles from departure
points using celestial and radar navigation aids, aerial refueling, with timing to one minute increments.
Frequent examinations of proficiency allowed for zero error. Second Bomb Wing, Strategic Air Command,
429th and 96th Bomb Squadrons.
Managed a department responsible for academic instrument training, flight planning, and navigation
plus actual in-flight instruction and evaluation of Undergraduate Pilots.
Personally responsible for the annual refresher Instrument Ground School Training of rated pilots in 3641st
Pilot Training Wing and later, 758th Military Airlift Group.
President and CEO of Aero Sports, Inc. President of other personal Subchapter S Corporations.
Managed airline flight crews complying with numerous regulated operations regarding FAA, Company, and
Local civil laws.

INSURANCE and LEGAL: No specific experience in these areas outside of using both items as a consumer. One
exception might be that I negotiated and wrote my own contracts for several real estate purchases
and sales to more detailed specifics than normal legal channels provided.

TECHNICAL: Forty-one years of using, understanding, and being highly knowledgeable of numerous systems involving
Electrical, Engines both Jet and Reciprocating, Fueling, Hydraulics, Instruments, Pneumatic, radar,
radios, including design and applications along with nuclear and thermonuclear physics.
Well versed in aerodynamics from the pilot’s application usage to include sub-sonic, trans-sonic, and
super-sonic characteristics in both the realms of convergent and divergent air-flow.
I held all three USAF Aeronautical Ratings. I was rated Pilot, Navigator, and Bombardier.

OTHER: My model aviation experience is cited above.
My dedication to the model aviation sport is evidenced by my use of personal funds to obtain and
establish the Jetero RC Club, Inc. model airplane facility now owned by that club. In addition there is the
continuous interest and work for the future of and promotion of the sport.
My dedication to the overall aviation world is:
1. Forty-one years of professional life in aviation;
2. I am a Charter Founder and sustaining member of The American Air Museum In Britain and
3. My name is on the National Aviation and Space Exploration Wall of Honor, Udvar-Hazy Center.

Respectfully Submitted

Horrace D. Cain
AMA L-93

June 15, 2005

Old 06-19-2005, 06:56 AM
LeeL

very impressive resume Horrace, I hope they put your name on the ballot. Now Jim, Horrace came forward and tried to answer your question, so why dont you quit acting like a 2 year old, and either put your concerns, gripes or what ever against Horrace out on the table, or just shut up about it.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:17 AM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

I am not to fond of some of Horraces writings and opinions, but Horrace does seem to embrace the Hobby, and seems to have plenty of ambitious ideas that he should at least be givin the chance to put forth. The membership will decide then whether to go along or not. I would give him the chance, and if he fails, then the ones who disliked his ideas from the start can say "I told you so", but then there is also the remote chance that he may actually do some good for the AMA, and change a few minds to his favor along the way. Its not like you are voting to make him President of the U.S, and placing him sitting in front of the big red button! This is a position that fits his history, and expertise. So if Horrace wants the chance to try to do some good, then I would be willing to give him a vote. Even though I may disagree with him on some of the opinions he has expressed, and his slight overbearingness and lack of modesty gets on my nerves, I would be willingly to see what he can get done. He is definately making a good effort to make his opinions known, and if he does make it to EVP, I hope he continues to come to RCU to debate his causes. You sure don't see many other AMA heads in here opening themselves up for debate, and this type of scrutiny. Horrace seems to have wide shoulders, and the one quallity I do admire of Horraces is that he don't seem to back down from a good fight or arguement! So put ole Horrace in the Ring, and lets see what he can really do! Its a Win/Win for everyone. If he does good we win, and if he does bad, the ones who didn't want him there from the start win! Give Horrace the chance to sh#& or get off the pot! I will give you a vote Horrace, just because you come in here under fire and ask for a vote.

Nice resume also! Alot to be proud of there!
Old 06-19-2005, 11:33 AM
YNOT

ORIGINAL: mike Churchill

Ynot I respect what you have to say. Could you give more info as to why?

Horrace has a passion for this hobby that goes beyond the flying field and RCU. I have seen that passion to instruct, correct, educate and inspire.

In the past 13 years, of my 30+ years of AMA membership, I have flown at about every major and minor flying event and contest in the Houston, Dallas, SA, South Lousiana area and have yet to see Dr. SF at any of them. Never once.

Someone who I expect to represent my best interest, in this hobby, should have some of the same interest as I. IMO, SF and I do not have any common interest.

Old 06-19-2005, 02:42 PM
Jim Branaum

Ynot.
As much as I disagree with Horrace, from time to time, I agree with your analysis. I fear that he will be unable to work with others on the EC, but am no longer sure that is as important an issue as it once was. There seem to be some on the EC who do not have the courage of their convictions, and *I* KNOW Horrace does.

As for the rest of the back bitting remarks, I just consider the sources. I am of the opinion that the rest of the illuminati who wish to make this into an attack thread should rethink their weak positions.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:45 PM
TimChurch

Thanks Ynot

From what I've seen there needs to be change. Thats not saying the current leadership can't change their views. But it is unlikely. Hoss I'm not sure is the answer. Its almost like I being talked down to. And that is how I felt in my past dealings with AMA people. The advise I would give Hoss and I hope It is not taken wrong, post in plan talk, leave out bs and 40 year history, I would then take the time to read his post and find out what he thinks. And would work for his cause, If his views were reasonable.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:26 PM
Paternguy

Seems to me Horrace has one thing going for him that Sandy doesn't. You can actually contact him and you actually get a response and that response actually pertains to the subject at hand. LOLOLOL
Old 06-24-2005, 09:16 PM
Jim Thomerson

I would just comment that I see Sandy Frank at contests and swapmeets on a fairly regular basis. By that I mean Dallas control line contests and the Georgetown RC swapmeet. I've always found him to be congenial and willing to talk about either airplanes or AMA matters.

So far as Horrace goes, he agrees with a number of my ideas. But not all.

Jim
Old 06-27-2005, 04:55 PM
4u2nv-RCU
My Feedback: (28)

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have known Horrace Cain for almost 15 years now and one thing the man does have is a passion for model aviation. He also has firm beliefs(understatement) that he will not waver from. He will listen to reason and even if it doesnt sway him away from his original thought he does at least give the "other side" a chance to express their views. There are many subjects that Horrace and I disagree on but I still very much respect the guy and the way he deals with getting things done. There are few people I know who will work as hard as Horrace will to get something done.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:17 PM
rcmiket

I'm not sure Sandy Frank knows where he is. I got into a e-mail war with him about the AMA magazine and he told me all about "how if it wasn't for the ad the club had in the mag. about the races he would not have known about it and not shown up" Only problem it wasn't our club ( it was the other one on the other side of town) Any change at this point is for the better. "B.S. the glue that bonds us together" I hope Horrace runs.... Now if we could only get people to vote. Mike
Old 06-28-2005, 08:50 AM
Gordon Mc

ORIGINAL: 4u2nv-RCU

I have known Horrace Cain for almost 15 years now and one thing the man does have is a passion for model aviation. He also has firm beliefs(understatement) that he will not waver from. He will listen to reason and even if it doesnt sway him away from his original thought he does at least give the "other side" a chance to express their views.

LOL ... yeah, he asks others for their views alright, but (in my experience) if they disagree with him he often resorts to ill-mannered personal attacks. Not the kind of leadership that many of us are interested in - I'd rather see someone who knows how to use logic and reason to get his ideas across, rather than trying to bludgeon anyone who sees things differently than he.

Back in my days on rec.models.rc.air I tried having reasoned conversations with the guy on several occasions, but finally realised I was just wasting my time because he was more interested in trying to intimidate those who disagree with him, than to actually listen to their input and try to understand opinions other than his own. He may well be passionate & hard working & all that other stuff - but his other character traits simply negate any such plusses in my opinion. YMMV, which is fine.

Gordon
Old 06-28-2005, 08:46 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

ORIGINAL: 4u2nv-RCU

I have known Horrace Cain for almost 15 years now and one thing the man does have is a passion for model aviation. He also has firm beliefs(understatement) that he will not waver from. He will listen to reason and even if it doesnt sway him away from his original thought he does at least give the "other side" a chance to express their views. There are many subjects that Horrace and I disagree on but I still very much respect the guy and the way he deals with getting things done. There are few people I know who will work as hard as Horrace will to get something done.
No, we must be talking about DIFFERENT PEOPLE. We were talking about the Horrace Cain late of New Caney, TX(but not really from Texas originally)...who are YOU talking about?
Old 06-29-2005, 12:21 AM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: EASYTIGER

ORIGINAL: //SNIP//

No, we must be talking about DIFFERENT PEOPLE. We were talking about the Horrace Cain late of New Caney, TX(but not really from Texas originally)...who are YOU talking about?
ET, you're about as correct with >>>"...(but not really from Texas originally)..." as you are about everything else you rant about.

My birth certificate designates my place of birth as Livingston, TEXAS, Polk County. One of my great-great-grandparents was in Austin's original 300 to settle TX and later received his section of land for his fighting at San Jacinto. I have a copy of that Land-Grant.

Yes, the GOOD LORD has looked after me well. To be born in the REPUBLIC of TEXAS, and the USA is a great blessing for which I thank HIM each day. In addition HE allowed me to enjoy 41 years of professional aviation along with model aviation. Never rich, but able to pay the modest bills to include 3 kids through Universities: Northwestern, Purdue, and Univ. of Iowa/U. of Chicago. Just can't get better than that.

So ET, again you make false accusations which illustrate you as one that knows not, and knows not that he knows not. You do remember the original proverb, do you not? [>:]
Old 06-29-2005, 05:03 AM
TimChurch

Hey Bubba,
Sure did send them kids a long way from home for school.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:40 AM
LeeL

Ok Jim we are still waiting are you going to put your gripes out on the table so we can all see them or are you going to continue to attack Horrace with vague innuendo. As you stated yourself the ball is in your court. Lets hear it. edited for spelling
Old 06-29-2005, 08:33 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

What district did you represent when you were on the EC, Hillary? I mean, Horrace?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.