Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Old or New

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 09:31 PM
Live Wire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old or New

Is it the old guy's that are the problem ! or is it the new looking for power. Who will win ? This could get interesting.and there will be a no win for us all.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:56 PM
Live Wire

Default RE: Old or New

OOOOKKKKKaaaay
The old have the Knowledge and the new have new idea's If it were not for the old there would be no new IDEAS!!!!!!!!
Figure that one out
Old 06-22-2005, 11:16 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: RC Hawk

OOOOKKKKKaaaay
The old have the Knowledge and the new have new idea's If it were not for the old there would be no new IDEAS!!!!!!!!
Figure that one out
Who supplies the time, labor and ideas that keep your club running?
Old 06-22-2005, 03:39 PM
Live Wire

Red
If you look at it the Club stand the bill because the wheels are standing there with thier hand out after they do there good deed wanting to get there money back! It is easy to make your self look big if you have the money to spend when you no you will get it back and people will say look what SO and SO done great guy look what he has done for RC and the CLUB
Old 06-23-2005, 02:18 PM
Live Wire

It is interesting that you do not have to be old but how long you have been in the hobby an what you think you no and how good you (think) you are Expierience is what you display when you try to help some one not when you force the issue.
Edit
OLD is when you learn to fly and think you are better than all the rest That is what they call a PRO.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:51 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe it's just different out there where the air is thin (I LOVE Colorado, BTW); but what I have noticed in my area is that, irrespective of age or experience (for the most part), there's two kinds of club members:

1- All they want is a place to fly, with no responsibilities within the club; only reason they join or even have AMA is because it's the only way they can have access to the field. I'm not saying this is good or bad, there's a lot to be said for this because, at the end of the day, it's what we ALL want. These guys are usually okay with whatever the club wants to do, as long as it doesn't mess up their flying.

2- Active club members, who feel that flying isn't the only aspect of the hobby they want to enjoy or be involved with. These guys may or may not want the responsibility of being officers, but still contribute to planning fly-ins, upkeep of the facility, trying to improve the hobby and the way it is practiced.
I guess there is a sub-set within this group who like being in "charge" of things and want things done their own way, because it is "obviously better", even to the point of antagonizing everyone else. This is where a good set of by-laws and club operating procedures comes in, as well as the club as a whole involving themselves enough to vote on the bigger issues and keep the strong egos at bay. If it's written down that such-and -such is mandatory, or won't be tolerated, or that something has to pass a majority vote or be decided at board level, it tends to keep one voice from being the loudest.

I have a feeling that a lot of the guys in the first group may have been more active at an earlier time, but had experiences with the subset of the second group that made them say, "The hell with this, I'm just gonna pay my dues, fly, and everbody else can do what they want."

BTW, I am secretary of our club, serving my first term (similar to 'sentence'). I was asked to be president, but did not feel it was something I wanted to tackle as a first office. All I want for our club, as both member and officer, is a place that people enjoy coming to, and can have a good exchange of ideas, while sharing an activity that might be the only thing they have in common with the other guys, but can do it without pressure or intimidation. There are ideas that I have that I feel could make the club, and facility, better, but I'm totally happy with whatever the club as a whole has voted to do, or not do. I am willing to do things for the club without compensation (well, the monetary type anyway); I have always felt that you get out of something what you put into it, and I'd probably do those things just because I feel a duty to the club, but I don't care one way or the other about recognition.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:34 PM
Live Wire

You no it is not the club or the people that cause the problem, It is the mental attitude every one thinks they are in the right and will not give way to what is to come. As you have seen the hell with the rest and I am the best
Old 06-27-2005, 06:32 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like we're talking about human nature here. Just the natural instinct for people to form their own opinions and either express, defend, or try to push them. Same thing we find in any other aspect of life and human interaction.

Sometimes in a club it gets to be like the young member who asked about one of our older members and officers "What has he ever done for the club? He's one of those guys who railroads everything through."

A He has been secretary for over 20 years.
B He has been present for almost every work party since he joined the club almost 35 years ago.
C He has made arrangements for dozens of out of field demonstrations, especially for things like civic groups, youth groups, and even schools.
D He has been the comentator for most of our annual public flying shows.
E He has been available for as much as 10 hours a day for every day of the numerous Mall shows we put on before the MBAs decided the open floor areas could be better put to use with Kiosks.
F He has found equipment we needed for various projects that nobody else could find.
G He has many times stated his opinions on various items brought up for open discussion at club meetings.
H He found a company willing and able to print up our monthly newsletters for free, leaving us only the postage cost.
I As an officer, he usually only voted on tiebreakers.
And thats only part of it.

What has the younger questioner done for the club?

a Comes to maybe two meetings a year.
b Complains about the grass not being cut right for his planes.
c Complains that everything is "Railroaded" through.
d Never bothers to vote at the meetings he attends.
e Complains that the field will be shut down for the annual demo "when he has time to fly", but won't sign up to fly for the demo.
f Won't enter the meeting discussions openly, but will whisper with his buddies about the subject.

And we also have similar groupings where you can substitute Younger for Older and Older for Younger.

Like I say, just normal human nature. There's them that try to do something, and them that complain about those that do. And it seems to be getting harder to find them that are at least willing to try.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:34 PM
Live Wire

50+
It is hard to believe that there are a few of us left that think more or less the same but express our selves differently.Some time you wonder if we should or if the whole hobby should be put out to pasture and the whole thing started over. It is hard to believe that the younger people do not want to or will try to get along with us old Farts. Must be the New Generation or some thing, new way and a new world[&o]
There will be a time when the new will have to step down then what will they say[&o]
Edit
I did it again
Old 06-27-2005, 10:51 PM
Live Wire

It does help if you support and respect the people that help you in the hobby, To bad you don't need them any more Some day's people just need help and there will not be any one there.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:36 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess we aeronuts also fit into a category similar to what somebody once said about Christianity: 800,000,000 people separated by a common belief! We're a group of a few hundred thousand separated by participation in and love of a common activity.
On one hand I rejoice that we are so diverse, but it makes me sad that sometimes we seem so divided. Although I admire the iconoclasts who try to make us think for ourselves instead of accepting herd unity or even worse, "Politically Correct" thinking. Like when trading Polish jokes with a buddy, Stanislaus, and having someone with no Polish background telling us we are being offensve to the Poles. (Stan's family is all from Poland, my mother's family is) The "Politically Correct" can't seem to understand jokes is jokes, and not offensive, and insults is insults, and something totally different (Fighten' words). If you can't laugh at yourself, you ain't got a sense of humor, because each of us is a wealth of humorous daily occupation.