Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA "Insider"

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA "Insider"

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 06:42 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default AMA "Insider"

Just received my first copy of the newest communication tool being used by AMA....I'm impressed......what do you guys think?

Jerry
Old 07-16-2005, 07:25 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AMA "Insider"

I think its great! Now I'm waiting for the AMA bashers to chime in with their usuall. "The only reason I belong to the AMA is because I have to fly at a club field that requires it."
Old 07-16-2005, 07:42 PM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good attempt at communications. I think it is a much needed tool.

Red, there will probably not be too much bashing as it only goes to club officers and typically they are not the ones doing the bashing.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:01 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes it is a good new tool.

I try to let them know when things appear right. My email to sender and other staff:

>>>
AMA Insider -- Good job. Looking good.
Please pass my complements to Howie Kelem, Gold Coast Radio Controllers Club, Boca Raton, FL for the article "My Favorite Airplane". Great story.
Even thanks to D. Brown for paraphrasing my message of the past several years with his: "Growth of the organization is something we all should be dedicated to. Growth of AMA will increase our influence with governmental agencies with which we must deal, and growth of your local club will increase your influence at the local level." Maybe he is beginning to listen.
<<<<

While I am NOT an officer, I was a N/L editor and probably will be again soon. The newbies usually last 3-5 months and I wind up back on the block. [8|

It is proper that the Club Officers be in the chain and be expected to pass on the news.

If you want it go to http://www.modelaircraft.org/insider/index.html and subscribe.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:01 PM
rcmiket

"it only goes to the club officers" thats my idea of "communication". The rest of us have to go looking. Whats wrong with that picture. They have no problem sending me DVD's and credit card offers. God forbid they try and send me information. Not a bash just a simple question.-Mike
Old 07-18-2005, 07:50 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

While I am NOT an officer, I was a N/L editor and probably will be again soon. The newbies usually last 3-5 months and I wind up back on the block. [8|

It is proper that the Club Officers be in the chain and be expected to pass on the news.

If you want it go to http://www.modelaircraft.org/insider/index.html and subscribe.
It looks like a good tool, but I guess one must be an insider have gotten it in the first place!

I personally think it is improper for AMA to expect Club Officers to pass on the news. We are all members of the same organization and entitled to have all of the information.

Heck, alot of AMA members don't even belong to a club (within AMA)! Will AMA assign special officers to pass on the news to them?
Old 07-19-2005, 01:12 PM
the-plumber

ORIGINAL: iflyj3
Red, there will probably not be too much bashing as it only goes to club officers and typically they are not the ones doing the bashing.
Methinks you spoke too soon. Bashing already in progress, and that is what's wrong with this forum.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:16 PM
rcmiket

" bashing already inprogress" Who and where? Unless I have lost my ability to read, I made a comment and so did P-51. Where's the bash? Just because some of us don't see things the way others do we "were bashing" and that Plumber is the problem. I feel this info needs to be sent to all members. What good is it in the hands of the few. Mike
Old 07-19-2005, 03:51 PM
jiveturkey

TIME SHIFT

Welcome to the January 1997 issue of the National Newsletter.

Published for club newsletter editors, this is a compilation of AMA Headquarter's news, articles, tips, cartoons and humor gathered from club newsletters across the country. Whenever possible, the original source of the article is published.

Present day

Welcome to the "new" National Newsletter. I hope you will find the new format more useful, and informative.

My bi-monthly column will be titled President to President. Specifically for AMA chartered club officers. My goal is to give you an insider’s view of what is going on with AMA—in a much more timely fashion than is possible in Model Aviation—as well as provide you with some thoughts behind the subject. I hope you will find the information in this publication helpful in your duties as a club officer.

so........................... whatch ya saying willis

after reading the "Insider" I find it has nothing of significant merit or value. nothing new, nothing to see here.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:47 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I find it interesting that the AMA can no longer give out free rule books but can spend money printing up a newsletter for "insiders". No, don't tell me they are free on the AMA website. My computer is at home and I have to pay for paper and ink.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:28 PM
the-plumber

ORIGINAL: rcmiket

" bashing already inprogress" Who and where? Unless I have lost my ability to read, I made a comment and so did P-51. Where's the bash?
Where's the bash ?

"it only goes to the club officers" thats my idea of "communication".
The rest of us have to go looking.
Whats wrong with that picture.
They have no problem sending me DVD's and credit card offers. God forbid they try and send me information.
How many cheap shots does it take to make a bash ? I dunno, but FOUR certainly seems enough.

Old 07-19-2005, 09:39 PM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

Hrmm.

Ok, I've quietly lurked in this forum for a while...I guess i've finally decided to speak up out of...oh heck, I dunno...boredom maybe.

First of all, it's not the least bit unusual for a national or international organization to make certain information available to members in a leadership role, with the expectation that such information be passed on where appropriate/desired. In fact, not only is it not unusual (love those double negatives, eh?), but I can't recall ever being a part of any organization of this type that DIDN'T do things this way.

Typically, in fact, most in most situations like this, organizations do NOT give the 'end user' (i.e. us) a direct link to the information, relying completely on leadership to disseminate the information as they see fit. (Leadership has to have SOMETHING to do, right? )

In this case, specifically BECAUSE the AMA is rather unique in that it may have members not represented by any leadership, they have made the information available via their website, in an unaltered and unabridged form.

Admittedly, I'm not terribly impressed by this organization...but in this case I think the criticism is undeserved and smacks of 'looking for something to complain about'.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:28 AM
P-51B

Let's try a more level headed angle:

ORIGINAL: the-plumber

" bashing already inprogress" Who and where? Unless I have lost my ability to read, I made a comment and so did P-51. Where's the bash?
Where's the bash ?

"it only goes to the club officers" thats my idea of "communication".
Observation followed by a bit of sarcasm.

The rest of us have to go looking.
Factual observation

Whats wrong with that picture.
Simple question

They have no problem sending me DVD's and credit card offers. God forbid they try and send me information.
Observation

How many cheap shots does it take to make a bash ? I dunno, but FOUR certainly seems enough.
I see some observations, a question, a bit of sarcasm...hardly "bashing".

Anyway, I don't want to get thread off track, so.....back to the "AMA Insider"
Old 07-20-2005, 10:41 AM
BillyGoat

The idea of the National Newsletter is to pull worthwhile information from local club newsletters, put it in a compilation so it can be republished in your local club newsletter. The AMA already has a newsletter that goes to ALL the members... maybe your familiar with it?

If this went to all the members then what would your club editor use to fill those blank pages he's faced with every month. Also if this was distributed to every member what would be the sense of having it.... Just put in Model Aviation and cut a job or two in Muncie.

If you really want to be a subscriber run for office in you club!
Old 07-20-2005, 02:36 PM
rcmiket

Thanks P-51 you beat me too it. Mike
Old 07-20-2005, 03:51 PM
ptulmer

ORIGINAL: Jim Thomerson

I find it interesting that the AMA can no longer give out free rule books but can spend money printing up a newsletter for "insiders".
Jim, I'm not sure about anyone else, but I only got it by email. They didn't send me anything printed. Other than MA they never have.
I think it was neat, if not quite "valuable". Yet. There should be a link between the AMA and club officers. This will let us know what to keep an eye out for. The other guys in the club would rather fly and not be bothered.

P51-B, I've ready many of your posts. This time I think you are trying to justify a rant. That's ok, but how should the AMA communicate with the club officers? Do you think they shouldn't? Most people that I've met couldn't care less about getting emails from the AMA and would complain if they did.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:26 AM
P-51B

ORIGINAL: ptulmer

P51-B, I've ready many of your posts. This time I think you are trying to justify a rant. That's ok, but how should the AMA communicate with the club officers? Do you think they shouldn't? Most people that I've met couldn't care less about getting emails from the AMA and would complain if they did.

You are entitled to your opinion. (And, if you are correct, everyone should have a little rant now and then)

My basic point is that the AMA should communicate to all of its membership, not just a select few. We all belong to the AMA club, not just those who also join a local club that has officers.

Remember, I did say it appeared to be a good tool.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:15 PM
ptulmer

Perhaps a "signup" policy would help. Those that would like to can subscribe. 'Course they could have that already.(I don't know) I'm still in BillyGoat's corner for this one. But you guys are still free to persuade me...
Old 07-21-2005, 12:29 PM
rcmiket

Why would you not want to send the "Insider" to the membership? This is where I'm having a problem. I looked at it and saw some promise. I can't understand why they just don't send it out to all members. If you don't want it that just opt out. To me its a good start for the AMA to show the really do care about the membership. Mike
Old 07-21-2005, 12:39 PM
iflyj3

Why would you not want to send the "Insider" to the membership? This is where I'm having a problem. I looked at it and saw some promise. I can't understand why they just don't send it out to all members. If you don't want it that just opt out. To me its a good start for the AMA to show the really do care about the membership. Mike
Before you fellows P..s & Moan too much. It is an email newsletter. Does the AMA have everyones email address?
Secondly, the current news letter that goes only to newsletter editors and is available on the web site under publications. How many of those have you P&Mer's read?

It's my understanding they will email it to anyone interested. Have you contacted the AMA? Or, are you content to P&M here and take no action? However, as soon as you tell one of the old f..ts you are getting something they are not because they don't have an email address, they'll want a paper copy mailed to them. Of course, with no email address I won't have to listen to them P&M!!!!

Sorry, having a bad day!
Old 07-21-2005, 12:48 PM
rcmiket

The AMA has some real issues. The cost of the magazine and shinking membership. Not to mention some feel that they just don't care. The point is why not try and reach as much of the membership as possible. I see this as a tool and would like to see them use it to the fullest. A little P.R. never hurt anyone. Sorry your having a bad day.Mike
Old 07-21-2005, 01:01 PM
ptulmer

Mike, think of it this way. You're looking for a list of people who are active and interested modelers. Those willing to put some effort into it. Those that would go the extra mile and make you look good. A list of people who will do what you want for free. Would you go to the general membership, who would then come onto this forum and complain about getting emails, or go directly to the club officers and let them disseminate the information. Few if any will complain and we feel like AMA is handing down a little responsibility and maybe even a little recognition. Do you begrudge that?
Old 07-21-2005, 02:09 PM
iflyj3

The AMA has some real issues. The cost of the magazine and shinking membership. Not to mention some feel that they just don't care. The point is why not try and reach as much of the membership as possible. I see this as a tool and would like to see them use it to the fullest. A little P.R. never hurt anyone. Sorry your having a bad day.Mike
Like I said, I believe anyone that wants it can get it via email just like the rest of us do. Simply contact the AMA and asked to be put on the list. Simple huh?
Old 07-22-2005, 06:41 AM
P-51B

ORIGINAL: iflyj3

Before you fellows P..s & Moan too much. It is an email newsletter. Does the AMA have everyones email address?
Secondly, the current news letter that goes only to newsletter editors and is available on the web site under publications. How many of those have you P&Mer's read?

It's my understanding they will email it to anyone interested. Have you contacted the AMA? Or, are you content to P&M here and take no action? However, as soon as you tell one of the old f..ts you are getting something they are not because they don't have an email address, they'll want a paper copy mailed to them. Of course, with no email address I won't have to listen to them P&M!!!!

Sorry, having a bad day!

Valid points.

I guess maybe they should make a formal announcement in the magazine (a visible one) so that people are aware of it. Then they can sign up if they wish.