Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Good, Bad, Or is Jury still out?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Good, Bad, Or is Jury still out?

Old 07-25-2005, 11:26 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Good, Bad, Or is Jury still out?

From the AMA Web site this AM 7/25/05.

Renewal Notices and Ballots to be Mailed Separately
Discussed at the last Executive Council meeting was to find a method to increase the number of voters in an election. It was moved and seconded to authorize the staff to separate the ballots from the renewal notice using the most economical means available to encourage a higher voting response.

We are exploring the means by which we will separate the ballots for the 2006 election. Ballots will be mailed to coincide with receipt of Model Aviation that will contain the candidates' statements.

Renewal notices will be mailed as they have been in the past during the first part of September.
Waiting on info relative to just how this might be done. 150,000 +/- separate mailings -- looking at some $55,500 postage.
So guys, YOU are paying for it so get ready to vote. [sm=greedy.gif]
Old 07-25-2005, 11:49 AM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Good, Bad, Or is Jury still out?

*blink*

Umm...how does spending $X in labor to seperate the apparently connected ballots from the notice, and then an additional $55k on postage in an effort to send me TWO documents instead of one translate into 'encourage a higher voting response'??

What, I'll notice the extra time, effort, and money they put into it and feel compelled to vote???

Or is this a sneaky way to say 'look at the stupid stuff we'll do just to get you to vote against the stupid stuff we do'??

I'm so confused now...
Old 07-25-2005, 11:56 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, you think bulk mailing means putting a thirty-seven cent stamp on 150,000 letters?
Man, for someone who wants to be the "CFO" of a multi-million dollar nonprofit corporation, you really aren't very good with numbers.
You keep doing that, citing "facts and figures" that have nothing to do with reality.
The late Douglas Adams called that "Bistromathics."
Old 07-25-2005, 12:35 PM
Capt. Nexstar

Ghezz, when I joined the AMA and a local club or two I was over joyed and looking to having a great time and having fun, I am really surprised at the crap that is going on, I really am dispointed in the system, AMA is wasting way to much money and time and there is way to much *****ing and fighting, screw this I will go find an open field and fly. I haven't made any friend son here for sure, everything thing said is put down or sensored or closed.

I totaly agree with this next quote.
"Umm...how does spending $X in labor to seperate the apparently connected ballots from the notice, and then an additional $55k on postage in an effort to send me TWO documents instead of one translate into 'encourage a higher voting response'??

Someday before I die I pray I'll learn while so many stupid people get control of so much when they can't even think straight. I just don't get it, but am tired of hearing about, GOOD BYE.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:35 PM
Liberator

Yes, but Doug's Bistromathics made sense!
Old 07-25-2005, 01:01 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

ORIGINAL: Winghawg1

Ghezz, when I joined the AMA and a local club or two I was over joyed and looking to having a great time and having fun, I am really surprised at the crap that is going on, I really am dispointed in the system, AMA is wasting way to much money and time and there is way to much *****ing and fighting, screw this I will go find an open field and fly. I haven't made any friend son here for sure, everything thing said is put down or sensored or closed.

I totaly agree with this next quote.
"Umm...how does spending $X in labor to seperate the apparently connected ballots from the notice, and then an additional $55k on postage in an effort to send me TWO documents instead of one translate into 'encourage a higher voting response'??

Someday before I die I pray I'll learn while so many stupid people get control of so much when they can't even think straight. I just don't get it, but am tired of hearing about, GOOD BYE.
I think most of the wacky infighting happens on the internet, not at AMA, and I think you really ought to take what you read here with a big grain of salt, as far as "wasting money" and such...people, in general here, having the tiniest iota of what they are talking about. The first post here is a perfect example.
As far as your local clubs go, don't blame AMA if there is wackiness. If you can, just fly and don't get involved in local club politics...most often, like you correctly surmise, it's really petty silliness. But, you know, there ARE an awful lot of clubs that are well-run without all the silliness.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:06 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

ORIGINAL: Liberator

Yes, but Doug's Bistromathics made sense!
To an Italian waiter, perhaps!
It just blows me away that this guy is running for EVP. Against a CPA. Since he lost the Presidential election. It sure seems like he is just trying to get into ANY position of power. And he is saying that "advisors" will give him the knowledge he needs to do the job.
I think the first post on this thread pretty much defines his inability to do this job.
And he keeps calling it "CFO". I think he beleives that if he is elected EVP, he will have power over the purse strings and be able to somehow control the EC so they will do what he wants. But that's not the job, is it?
I really should not waste my breath, though, as the only way Horrace will get elected is if he has an Improbability Drive.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:51 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

From the AMA Web site this AM 7/25/05.
<snip>
Waiting on info relative to just how this might be done. 150,000 +/- separate mailings -- looking at some $55,500 postage.
So guys, YOU are paying for it so get ready to vote. [sm=greedy.gif]
Okay Hoss, here's my take:

Not A Good Thing.

The old way of sending the ballots with renewal forms had a side-benefit of being a sort of poll test. Some among those too stupid to be voting sent their ballots to the wrong place, where they did not get counted.[]

I think AMA could use some changes, but this is so far down a reasonably prioritized list of what should be done that it ranks with picking nits off Bandini Mountain, rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic........... and pushing unsolicited DVDs on the members.

Abel

Old 07-25-2005, 03:25 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

I like that.
I agree...if you cannot follow the BLATANT instructions in BIG RED TYPE(do NOT SEND THIS CARD TO HQ!) then I'd just as well you do not vote!
Old 07-25-2005, 03:45 PM
Hossfly

Easytiger: Curtiss:

In this forum, you have constantly berated me and lied about me, You have never answered any questions asked either by numerous others, or myself why you have the vile hatred of one Horrace Cain. Again, I invite you to lay your cards on the table.

You have denied that I am a native Texan. Only you and God have any idea why you lie about that. Here you speak about my losing the Presidential Election. That Sir, is another bold-faced lie. I have not run for AMA President. For EVP, 3 years ago and for DVP 2 years ago, but NOT for President. My name has not been on an AMA Presidential Election Ballot.

Ballots will be mailed to coincide with receipt of Model Aviation that will contain the candidates' statements.
Regardless of your IQ, ET, you indicate gross ignorance of the USPS mail system. BULK MAILING is not the method to use if an item is separately "TIMED" to coincide with any other event. Bulk mailing may well take weeks to be delivered OR in certain areas, some of it may beat the regular first-class mail. Bulk goes on a space-available basis. While the PO usually tries to get all mail out on a timely basis, the local carriers have the decision as to just how much they will deliver in any day.

To supplement your lack of understanding of CFO, I will assist you:

AMA Bylaws: Article X Section 4.
The Executive Vice President shall be the Chief Financial
Officer of the AMA, shall monitor the financial and corporate affairs
of the AMA, make an annual report to the membership regarding the
financial affairs of the AMA; and shall make periodic reports, not
less than quarterly, to the Executive Council regarding financial
matters of the AMA, and shall assume the duties of the President in
the event of a vacancy as described in Section 2. until such vacancy
is filled.

General Information:
Chief Financial Officer - CFO
This is the senior manager who is responsible for overseeing the financial activities of an entire company. This includes signing checks, monitoring cash flow, and financial planning.
Investopedia Says: The CFO is similar to a treasurer or controller.

Wikipedia

Chief Financial Officer
The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) of a company is the person primarily responsible for financial planning and record-keeping. In recent years, however, the role has expanded to encompass communicating financial performance and forecasts to the analyst community. The title is equivalent to finance director, commonly seen in the United Kingdom. The CFO typically reports to the Chief Executive Officer, and is frequently a member of the board of directors.

Whereas a UK Finance Director is commonly a chartered accountant, it has become commonplace for non-accountants to become CFOs in the United States. Indeed, many CFOs have an MBA but no CPA or other accounting qualification.

Easytiger:
I think he beleives that if he is elected EVP, he will have power over the purse strings and be able to somehow control the EC so they will do what he wants. But that's not the job, is it?
The job will be to get AMA back on it's track of promoting and providing for the sport of model aviation. As a nationally elected officer, I can do things an individual DVP cannot do. In addition, I am not known to keep AMA secrets. The membership will have opportunities to know a whole lot more than ever before. If any DVP wishes to swing a bit more to that direction, since his constituency will know where he REALLY stands (sits) then that will be that DVP's personal business. That Sir is called LEVERAGE. There will be less movement to become a corporate publishing company at member expense without need to be competitive, and those old schemes of captive insurance companies with fat jobs, which still smolder in the basement, will very likely be discarded.

Now ET, you claim to be rich and famous and I hope you are all that as well as healthy. Now it is your time to become a gentleman and lay your cards on the table. At least, for just once, stand up and be a man.

Old 07-25-2005, 11:32 PM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

ORIGINAL: EASYTIGER

I think most of the wacky infighting happens on the internet, not at AMA, and I think you really ought to take what you read here with a big grain of salt, as far as "wasting money" and such...people, in general here, having the tiniest iota of what they are talking about. The first post here is a perfect example.
As far as your local clubs go, don't blame AMA if there is wackiness. If you can, just fly and don't get involved in local club politics...most often, like you correctly surmise, it's really petty silliness. But, you know, there ARE an awful lot of clubs that are well-run without all the silliness.
Yes, there is no infighting in the AMA - they are too busy standing in a circle patting each other on the back on what a great job they are doing.[>:]

The point is not how much is spent on the seperate ballot mailing. The point is that there is additional wastage. Penny saved is a penny got.

Old 07-26-2005, 08:40 AM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

Hrmm...

Tiger, you have a good point. I hadn't considered the fact that it'd likely be bulk mail, meaning considerably less postage.

Does it not still stand, however, that the AMA will spend twice the postage to do this that they otherwise would have?

I mean..ok...probably not a HUGE chunk of money, in the grand scheme of things...but it seems to me they're spending that money to do somehting...well...pointless.

??
Old 07-26-2005, 09:13 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

ORIGINAL: gboulton

Hrmm...

Tiger, you have a good point. I hadn't considered the fact that it'd likely be bulk mail, meaning considerably less postage.

Does it not still stand, however, that the AMA will spend twice the postage to do this that they otherwise would have?

I mean..ok...probably not a HUGE chunk of money, in the grand scheme of things...but it seems to me they're spending that money to do somehting...well...pointless.

??
Well, very possibly, yes, it may be totally pointless. The attempt is to get more people to vote, and this may not work, and it does bother me that there are people stupid enough to not follow the simple directions on the ballot, and that we are entertaining the idea of spending extra money to accomodate the superstupid, and I would not make the effort. That would be MY vote, were I on the EC, to not bother with this. But, evidently, it was talked about and voted upon.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:47 AM
Jim Thomerson

Regardless of how the AMA does it, us CL and FF people will continue to mark our ballots properly and mail them to the correct address in a timely manner

Jim
Old 07-26-2005, 10:26 AM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: Jim Thomerson

Regardless of how the AMA does it, us CL and FF people will continue to mark our ballots properly and mail them to the correct address in a timely manner

Jim
Jim, Jim, mi amigo, all you guys do vote, but one little error, you don't mark the ballot properly. The mistake is that you seem to make your mark by the name of the 'malo hombre' rather than the 'bueno tipo', like me.

As both an old CL and FF competitor, I sure wish I could get into your power base. It must be doing well from the way Tower is moving into the CL ARF business. Looks like the CL Stunt group is having a little tug-of-war within their ranks. Sometimes that is a good thing.