Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

turbine waiver

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

turbine waiver

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 09:07 PM
timothy thompson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbine waiver

whats up with the turbine waiver? ISNT THIS AMERICA IF i WANT A TURBINE AND HAVE 30 YRS EXPERIENCE IM GONNA GET ONE THANK GOD I FLY OFF PRIVATE PROPERTY AND NOT A CLUB FIELD.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:25 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: turbine waiver

Thank God you are doing it there.

It's kinda like driving on the highway. You can do it without a driving license until youscrew up and get caught.
In addition, you need more training to drive bigger things. I'm 69, and got my first driver's license at age 14.
Still if I wanted to drive a bus or 18 wheeler I gotta' go learn some more and display it to an examiner.
You may have a commercial pilot's license with 10,000 hours, but you can't get into the left seat of an FAR 121 airliner until you have that Airline Transport Pilot Certificate with a Class I medical, current within the 6 month period, in your pocket.

Personally I think displaying the skills and being approved for a Turbine Waiver would be something to be proud of.
After a whole lot of flying years, I certainly was proud to pass that ATP check in a Lear and then move into a 727 Left seat when I also had to get the TYPE rating.

So treat the turbine waiver simply as another TYPE RATING and go for it, if you can pass.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:43 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

More power to you Timothy! America needs more like you and less like Horrace
Old 07-25-2005, 10:11 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: timothy thompson

whats up with the turbine waiver? ISNT THIS AMERICA IF i WANT A TURBINE AND HAVE 30 YRS EXPERIENCE IM GONNA GET ONE THANK GOD I FLY OFF PRIVATE PROPERTY AND NOT A CLUB FIELD.
Hi Tim-

Why let it get your knickers in a knot? The AMA waiver for turbines is of no concern to you unless and until a) you want to buy insurance from AMA, in which case it's a condition of insurability, no different from any other insurance company, or b) you want to fly off an AMA club field (apparently not) or engage in AMA sanctioned competitions. Sounds like you have the freedom to do your own thing - apparently it still is America where you are and that's certainly something to cherish, not to get riled up about. You have my envy for what you have, not my sympathy for your problem with AMA's turbine waiver.

Abel
Old 07-25-2005, 10:15 PM
timothy thompson

ITS THE PCM L1011 JETCAT 80 FOR POWER IM AN ACCOMPLISHED FLYER BUT THE TURBINE MANUAL IS 70 PAGES LONG SO IM GOING INTO THIS SLOWLY. I WILL NOT FLY UNTIL I KNOW THAT TURBINE LIKE MY OWN WIFE. ITS A NICE FLYER ONLY THE MIDDLE ENGINE RUNS THE OUTBOARDS ARE FAKES. EVERYONE SEEMS SCARED OF THESE BUT A LITTLE INTELLIGENCE AND LOTS OF PATIENCE WILL PERCIVERE
Old 07-25-2005, 10:18 PM
timothy thompson

i have ama but do not belong to a club it is my belief that someone has to sign off on me that i am safe. there is someone in detroit that has one i will take it there for the maiden. I knoe these things are not run of the mill aircraft. you should see the retracts and fuselage! incredible detail
Old 07-25-2005, 11:02 PM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

If you don't want the waiver - cool. Just don't expect any sympathy when you have a liability claim. Freedom breaks down when everybody does what they want without consideration to others.

Safety is NO accident.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:14 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Instead of having a fit about my civil liberties being violated I would welcome the check flight as an opportunity for an experianced pilot to check over my setup and pre-flight practices incase I was doing something wrong. Correct anything I was doing incorrectly and go on and enjoy my hobby in a safe manner.

You don't need a helicopter waiver but I have seen several helicopters setup by experenced fixed wing modelers that had some problems that could have caused a crash or worse. I've also taught them some habits to help ensure their safety and that of those around them that are unique to helicopters, some of which they might never have learned had they just read a book and tried it.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:28 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ITS THE PCM L1011 JETCAT 80 FOR POWER IM AN ACCOMPLISHED FLYER BUT THE TURBINE MANUAL IS 70 PAGES LONG SO IM GOING INTO THIS SLOWLY. I WILL NOT FLY UNTIL I KNOW THAT TURBINE LIKE MY OWN WIFE. ITS A NICE FLYER ONLY THE MIDDLE ENGINE RUNS THE OUTBOARDS ARE FAKES. EVERYONE SEEMS SCARED OF THESE BUT A LITTLE INTELLIGENCE AND LOTS OF PATIENCE WILL PERCIVERE
You don't need to read all 70 pages of the manual. It's silly.
What you need to do is make up a test bench and start setting it up and running it.
Beleive me, it's not that big a deal once you understand it.
If at all possible, get with a more experienced turbine modeller near you, it will really help.
The L1011 is a *****cat, you will have no problem flying it.
Wavier or not, that's up to you, it's not that hard to get a wavier, but if you have a private field, you don't need one.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:58 PM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

ORIGINAL: barracudahockey

Instead of having a fit about my civil liberties being violated I would welcome the check flight as an opportunity for an experianced pilot to check over my setup and pre-flight practices incase I was doing something wrong. Correct anything I was doing incorrectly and go on and enjoy my hobby in a safe manner.

You don't need a helicopter waiver but I have seen several helicopters setup by experenced fixed wing modelers that had some problems that could have caused a crash or worse. I've also taught them some habits to help ensure their safety and that of those around them that are unique to helicopters, some of which they might never have learned had they just read a book and tried it.
Too true about helicopters. These things scare me when I see how some people fly them (or try to fly them). The serious pilots are mostly very safety concious. It is the credit card pilots that worry me. Waivers and safety rules only work when people actually follow them, every time.

Common sense is unfortunately in very short supply with some people. Just dare to mention anything to them and watch the sparks fly. It all boils down to people wanting to be safe or not. Freedom of choice is a great thing, but certain things under certain conditions dictate that safety rules are followed.

It is similar to the attitude of some drivers that the rules of the road are there to keep stupid people alive. Judging themselves not being stupid apparently gives them the right to ignore these rules.

Safe Flying!
Old 07-26-2005, 05:17 PM
the-plumber

whats up with the turbine waiver?
For starters, STOP YELLING IN CAPITAL LETTERS !!!

Not too many folks give a rat's behind what you do on your own private flying field; I certainly don't.

OTOH if you should show up at a crowded flying site, say, an AMA club field, then most folks would like some sort of reassurance that you have a bit more than an inkling of what you're doing when you haul out a turbine powered model.

I for one would like to know that have a bit of stick time on high performance (high speed) models. I'd like to know whether you have the foggiest notion of the damage you can do to the property of others present, and for that matter, that you might have some idea of the damage you can do to autonomous objects having a natural temperature of 98 degrees.

It's all about safety, period, and the AMA turbine waiver sets a few requirements for knowledge and experience on the part of folks who would operate turbines at locales where there are other people present and where there is property owned by those other people.

You can be as careless as you choose on your own property, and the only guy who might have a problem is your insurance agent.

Take your flying blowtorch to a club site, and a whole bunch of folks are going to pay real close attention to your antics.

Old 07-26-2005, 07:23 PM
khodges

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

FWIW, I saw one of those L-1011's at Joe Nall, painted like Air Force One. Never mind that the type has never been a Presidential carrier, it looked great, flew awesome. But like the other jets, every time they rolled out and came down the runway WFO, what went through MY mind was 1/2 MV squared, if it went out of control for ANY reason and hit something.

I am in full agreement with Hossfly and plumber, what you do on your own corner of Mother Earth is your thing, warts and all, but take your toy and show off for the neighbors on their turf is something else. No club I know of would let you fly there without the waiver, hoorah for them.

Get the waiver, if for no other reason than to rub it in all our faces. It's sort of like all the alphabet soup behind a professional's name (MBA, PhD, MSEE, etc). It's something to show that you DO know something, whether or not it's apparent otherwise.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:44 PM
timothy thompson

man you guys dont like turbines. I have the skill but not the funds so im not one of those impulse buyers. I said in my post that im taking it down to detroit for assistance. Why is flying one of these a big deat the L1011 is slow lands 50 120 top speed with a jrtcat 80 I do not belong to clubs because of this kind of crap I fly on private land. I TYPE BIG SO I CAN SEE AT NIGHT THIS SHOUTING STUFF IS REDICULOUS WHO CAME UP WITH IT. MY 44 YEAR OLD EYES ARE LOOSING NEAR VISION OK!!! a HELI CAN RIP YOUR INTESTINES OUT AND A 40% CAN KILL. LIFE IS A GAMBLE AND YES ke=1/2mv2 pe= mgh V1=1/2at2 I teach Physics and chemistry
Old 07-26-2005, 08:53 PM
HighPlains

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Timmy,

Do you know the relationship between the following terms:

Position, Velocity, Acceleration, and Jerk?
Old 07-26-2005, 09:27 PM
r3bldr
My Feedback: (6)

Man, there's all kinds in this world, huh?
Old 07-26-2005, 09:51 PM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW, I saw one of those L-1011's at Joe Nall, painted like Air Force One. Never mind that the type has never been a Presidential carrier, it looked great, flew awesome. But like the other jets, every time they rolled out and came down the runway WFO, what went through MY mind was 1/2 MV squared, if it went out of control for ANY reason and hit something.
I was at Joe Nall and saw the L-1011 fly. I was very impressed at how easily the jet flew!! Yes, turbines can be dangerous especially in the wrong hands. Given a choice of dodging a turbine or one (BOTH P51 pylon planes had trouble, one out of control from takeoff) of the giant scale P51 racing planes that went out of control and over the crowd after throwing a prop, I'll take the turbine. I would definately rather face the turbine instead of a 32 inch propeller with a 130" 40# plane headed for me!!! ALL of our hobby has some danger to it. Are turbines more dangerous than the other planes, no. They are more likely to cause a fire when they wreck but more dangerous than the others, no!!!!
Old 07-26-2005, 10:28 PM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

let's see....Saginaw to Gary is about 200 miles. That SHOULD be enough IF he stays there......

papermache
Old 07-26-2005, 11:10 PM
timothy thompson

my my jealousy is the word. they are no harder to fly its the propulsion system thats different im a jerk because I want a tristar man Im so glad i dont belong to a club i wonder how many of the naysayers are past 60 and wont accept new technology. These are safe under the right hands and i am that person a triple major in bio chem phys and calculus!!! so thats my ed background and a private pilot to boot. Its my property so its my business. I think ama is getting more in our business than they should
I agree some idiot with a wallet could buy one and hurt people but i said in my first post i have 30 yrs flying experience 15 in high speed warbirds.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:42 AM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

Maybe turbines ARE safe in the right hands, but your ranting and raving in this forum has led to serious doubt in my mind that your hands are the right ones, no matter how many degrees you have or how much other experience you've got.

If you want a turbine, go get one. If you want to fly it on your private property, that's fine. If you do that, you DON'T need a waiver from the AMA, so why did you even start this thread to begin with? There's no point to it!

papermache
Old 07-27-2005, 06:03 AM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

TIMOTHY THOMPSON, DO YOU KNOW HOW COMMITTED AND HOW EXACT YOU HAVE TO BE TO FLY A TURBINE? A TURBINE HAS A DELAY OF 7 SECONDS BEFORE IT WILL SPOOL UP. PROP POWERED WARBIRDS CAN BE FAST, BUT I WOULD SUGGEST THAT YOU GET A RADAR GUN AND CLOCK YOURSELF FLYING AT 140 ALL AROUND IN YOUR FLIGHT. HIGH SPEED FLIGHT IS A HARD THING TO DO BECAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE ANY REACTION TIME. I HAVE FLOWN A DELTA WING OVER 200MPH AND I CAN TELL YOU, THAT WASFAST I REALIZE THAT YOU ARE JUST TRYING TO GIN UP SUPPORT HERE FOR A MOVEMENT, BUT I WOULD SUGGEST THAT YOU BUY A LITTLE SPEED PLANE THAT'S NOT SCALE AND FLY IT AT FULL THROTTLE DURING AN ENTIRE FLIGHT. IF ANYTHING THIS WILL ENSURE THAT YOU CAN HANDLE THESE SPEEDS AND ARE NOT INCAPABLE OF FLYING A JET AT A SLOWER SPEED. THIS WILL ALSO GIVE YOU EXPERIENCE WITH LOW REACTION TIME. PLEASE DO THIS FOR YOUR SAFETY AND THE SAFETY OF OTHERS. IF YOU CRASH YOU WON'T HJAVE LOST A $10000 PLANE. I DO AGREE WITH HOSSFLY THAT YOU SHOULD GET THE AMA WAVIER FOR, IF ANYTHING, BRAGGING RIGHTS.

GOOD LUCK WITH IT AND MORE POWER TO YOU,
WOOPS

P.S. I DIDN'T THINK THAT YOU WOULD MIND MY YELLING
Old 07-27-2005, 06:41 AM
diceman
My Feedback: (10)

You have the right to fly.

You have the responsibility to conform.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:19 AM
u2fast
My Feedback: (37)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

never mind
Old 07-27-2005, 09:42 AM
s3nfo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my my jealousy is the word. they are no harder to fly its the propulsion system thats different im a jerk because I want a tristar man Im so glad i dont belong to a club.......

I'm glad you don't belong to a club too.

Love to see people tilt at windmills. Did you complain to the DMV about having to have a drivers licence? Did to get in a dither like this to the FAA about having to get a pilots licence? But somehow having to get a waiver is un-American..........
Come to think of it I'm REALLY glad you don't belong to a club.

Oh, and why would you have to write in all caps so you could see it, you just wrote it for cryin out loud, and if ya can't read what you wrote if it's not in caps, how are you reading these responses??????

Old 07-27-2005, 09:49 AM
timothy thompson

woop thanks I can actully read your post. who came up with this thing about caps being for shouting. i was not shouting if thats what was percieved it is not correct. If you would read my post the model im getting is one of the slower flying jets i have been in communication with the company plus several who own them. they fly on one turbine and land at 45 mph. they can be flown as slow as 70 with no problems my warbirds do that all the time. I also stated I am getting help from a flyer who has one of these for the maiden i wont fly this at home until i see the flight characteristics. what gets me mad is the attitude against this new technology. also im not rich and will have to beg borrow or barter to get all the parts

Thanks for the caps

Tim
Old 07-27-2005, 11:50 AM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Tim, The caps are just considered yelling in written form. The reason I suggested a small speed plane is that they will really improve your reflexes. Something you need with jets. Every jet pilot I have talked to has told me that they are thinking way ahead of the plane. Also, a small plane is fairly cheap. I fly a Laser Arrow, which isn't made any more, with a Evolution .45 and standard servos. It's price is a walk in the park compared to some of the scale rigs which you have. Please do try to get the wavier so that you can fly at an event that I might attend sometime.

All the best to you,
Woops

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.