Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Minors Flying Alone - Seeking Your Input

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 09:01 PM
henryhighwood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Minors Flying Alone - Seeking Your Input

To those that would place restrictions on younger pilots based solely on their age, regardless of their abilities, please keep in mind that a 16 year old can legally operate a full scale powered aircraft, fixed wing or rotorcraft, solo. A 14 year old can legally operate a full scale glider, solo.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:09 PM
mathyoo

ORIGINAL: abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: mathyoo

Can I get a translation? Not meaning to be rude, but that was a little over complex considering the subject at hand here. These things are ment to be fun, and they are with very little risk, but some people take this stuff a little too seriously....in the wrong way. You don't get that serious about the drive to the field do you?
Sure. For those that are more at ease reading few words of more than two syllables,

a) Clubs should not make rules against members flying alone.

b) It is OK for clubs to recommend that members not fly alone,

and more broadly,

c) Clubs should not presume to replace members' common sense with rules.

d) Clubs should make recommendations first and rules only reluctantly.

As for my seriousness about driving to the field, that exposes me to far greater risk of injury and/or incurring liability than being there. Of course I take it seriously.

Abel
Thats why I asked for clarification, Im sure you know exactly what I mean with that though.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:11 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: Flyfalcons

Agreed. Now then, you didn't need anybody to make a rule on your behalf to bring you to that conclusion, did you?

Abel
Nope. It hasn't been a rule at any of the fields I have been a member of; just plain ol common sense. This applies to minors, adults, minors who behave like adults, and adults who behave like minors. It applies to miners too.
Doggone it, Ryan-

I have to reconsider my position on this issue, now that you've brought miners into it. In the mines I've been in, there isn't a heckuva lotta room to dodge an out of control model airplane. OK then, so I submit there should be club rules that prohibit the flying of turbine-powered models in mines by minor miners, when no adult miners are present to supervise.

Abel
Old 09-15-2005, 10:45 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be sure to forward that to Dave Brown. Adding that to the safety code should help keep property insurance for commercial mines low.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:49 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: zxcv11

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

Propwash started this thread with ONE QUESTION, emphasized above. He asked no question about the merits of alone or with someone.
Try reading the title of the thread.

Saves a lot of time reading dribble.
Exactly.
So the title of his thread was different from his question! Maybe he's a news-reporter. Ever read the newspapers? Headlines and text content are all too frequently different subjects all together.

His text had ONE question. His attention step headline was of no significance. However excuse me zx..., I remember that you are of the liberal persuasion, so rhetoric dribble is your forte.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:30 PM
onlyb
Banned

OH, didn't understand -miners. Doesn't the Mine Safety Administration have rules about that? And what do the unions have to say about it???? Could we end up with a wildcat strike over this (or would that be a Thunder Cat strike?????)
Old 09-15-2005, 11:41 PM
abel_pranger

<snip> However excuse me zx..., I remember that you are of the liberal persuasion, so rhetoric dribble is your forte.
Ahhh....Yassir!...........dat ol' libril tatooin' sho nuff dun put 'im in hiz ritefil plase. Gud on y'all, Horste - dat'l send 'em awuf tale 'tween hiz skrawny legs ever time yer losin' fer shur an aw'mest dun give up da goest.

Old 09-16-2005, 05:54 AM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Idiot republicans. Why don't you go back and read your post complaining about liberals and try to see how you are any different. Besides, what do Democrats(90% ultra scumbag) and Republicans(80% idiot pig-faced two-tonguers) have to do with minors(and miners) flying alone at a flying field? Hossfly, why don't you try taking a break from Rush Limbaugh and most of Sean Hannity for just a week.

If you look back through this thread you will reallize that this question
wasn't the one that needed to be asked, so this thread evolved into what needed to be asked.

Woops
Old 09-16-2005, 06:46 AM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

OK guys, let's answer the question and not let the thread degenerate into something stupid.(might already be too late for that)

Niether of my clubs has a rule against flying alone. One may have some rule about minors, but I don't pay attention to rules that don't apply to me.

I'll put this one on the table: I'd rather have ONE 14 year old flying alone than five of them trying to fly unsupervised. THAT'S a recipe for disaster.

papermache
Old 09-16-2005, 07:03 AM
SSRCCPREZ

DAMN IT GUYS!!!!

Even a simple thread like this has degenerated into name calling and sophomoric verbal diahrea.
Seriously we all truly need to be ashamed of ourselves here. If we were all sitting around a table, is this how we would act?or talk?
I hope to GOD not. MAybe the AMA ignores us and feels like they have to safety rule us to death because when they read threads like this we look like idiots!!!!
This is the first time I have been this disgusted with a thread. We left topic by the fifth post!!!!
Old 09-16-2005, 09:19 AM
3dbob37n

Gee whiz, Massachesetts, you let yourself fall into the trap too!
Why pick on AMA? Their rules are very few and very reasonable. You forget that AMA is YOU. You made it what it is, not some mysterious father figure somewhere up in the great sky.
The original question was whether or not someone under 18 needs to be supervised while flying. I don't recall anything in his question about flying alone.
If we are going to continue this round table discussion, lets get back on the track.

How about some of you showing some leadership in this forum.

3dbob
Old 09-16-2005, 11:43 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: henryhighwood

To those that would place restrictions on younger pilots based solely on their age, regardless of their abilities, please keep in mind that a 16 year old can legally operate a full scale powered aircraft, fixed wing or rotorcraft, solo. A 14 year old can legally operate a full scale glider, solo.
But... R/C is dangerous...probably the most dangerous activity ever! We need more rules to ensure people cannot hurt themselves since any accident would cause the immediate demise of the hobby!!!

We should also support rules that limit flying due to old age also. That is even a worse proplem!
Old 09-16-2005, 11:58 AM
SSRCCPREZ

I cannot believe you are even serious with that post.

I have absolutely no comment...........I am in shock of the lack of intelect that post has
Old 09-16-2005, 12:30 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: SSRCCPREZ
...........I am in shock of the lack of intelect that post has
Yea!!me too! Whats wrong with that guy?

Wait a minute there pardner...you trying to start sompin?

Old 09-16-2005, 01:58 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

I have absolutely no comment...........I am in shock of the lack of intelect that post has

I thought it was a witty sarcasm and am astounded that you seem to have felt otherwise.

BTW, use the spall chucker...
Old 09-16-2005, 02:05 PM
Flyfalcons

Try decaf next time. Actually, try Bud Select, for the price I think it's pretty good. Not as good as Alaskan Amber though. As far as topics in the AMA forum goes, this one is surprisingly civil and on topic.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:46 PM
3dbob37n

I'm outta here. This discussion has turned into a Keystone Kops affair.

3dbob
Old 09-16-2005, 08:09 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Jim Branaum

I thought it was a witty sarcasm and am astounded that you seem to have felt otherwise.

Try using the spell checker yourself.

Woops
Old 09-16-2005, 08:53 PM
Roby

Consider this:

Flying alone actually might be the safer way to go .

I've flown hundreds of times alone and not once did
I ever have to concern myself about anyone else or
what they were or were not doing.

When you fly alone there are :
No frequency problems,all the channels are open
No BS
No egos

And............if you crash .........no one knows .

Roby

Old 09-16-2005, 09:46 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: woops

ORIGINAL: Jim Branaum

Try using the spell checker yourself.

Woops
Get yourself a rag and wipe the blood from your cheek. The blood from where the hook came through...

"spall chucker" is the way the guy who uses the confuser writes it...
Old 09-16-2005, 10:05 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: Roby

Consider this:

Flying alone actually might be the safer way to go .

I've flown hundreds of times alone and not once did
I ever have to concern myself about anyone else or
what they were or were not doing.

When you fly alone there are :
No frequency problems,all the channels are open
No BS
No egos

And............if you crash .........no one knows .

Roby
Roby-

The numbers seem to support your hypothesis. AMA membership is split about 50-50 between club and non-club members. It seems safe to presume that non-club members are more likely to be flying alone. Yet most of the insurance claims come from the club members. Hmmmmmmmm.............
Maybe it should not be surprising. The club environment is more likely to be "target rich" than places where loners tend to fly.

Abel

Old 09-16-2005, 10:09 PM
Flyfalcons

ORIGINAL: 3dbob37n

I'm outta here. This discussion has turned into a Keystone Kops affair.

3dbob
Good call. We're talking RC here, and fun and RC don't go together very well.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:59 AM
J_R

Roby-

The numbers seem to support your hypothesis. AMA membership is split about 50-50 between club and non-club members. It seems safe to presume that non-club members are more likely to be flying alone. Yet most of the insurance claims come from the club members. Hmmmmmmmm.............
Maybe it should not be surprising. The club environment is more likely to be "target rich" than places where loners tend to fly.

Abel

Hi Abel

Not sure if this is nit picking or not. Half the dollar amount of claims are generated by clubs, not club members. The case where a wind sock pole fell during prolonged construction and crushed a child being an example. The case was against the club for negligence, probably taking club officers as well. I have never seen anything that leads me to believe that individual club members generate more claims than non-club members, or vice versa relative to flying accidents.

Now, to be honest, I know only a few non-club members. All fall into one of two categories. Either they are members so they can compete in sanctioned events, or they are not really active in flying and maintain membership just because. I am sure there are others, I just don't know them.

JR
Old 09-17-2005, 01:33 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: J_R

Hi Abel

Not sure if this is nit picking or not. Half the dollar amount of claims are generated by clubs, not club members. The case where a wind sock pole fell during prolonged construction and crushed a child being an example. The case was against the club for negligence, probably taking club officers as well. I have never seen anything that leads me to believe that individual club members generate more claims than non-club members, or vice versa relative to flying accidents.

Now, to be honest, I know only a few non-club members. All fall into one of two categories. Either they are members so they can compete in sanctioned events, or they are not really active in flying and maintain membership just because. I am sure there are others, I just don't know them.

JR
Could be right about half of the insurance payout is for liability incurred by clubs vs. club members. Info from a trusted source is hard to come by. Anyway, if that is the case, clubs pay half of the cost of AMA insurance, right?
As for non-club members being less active in flying than club members, I doubt it. Most members are in AMA for the insurance. I don't have any reason to think that non-club members are a significantly different population from club members in this regard, except that they buy it voluntarily. They aren't buying it because it is a condition for club membership, so why else?

Abel
Old 09-17-2005, 03:06 PM
J_R

Abel,

I hope most of your post is tongue in cheek. I know you know better.

Clubs pay between $60 and $80 a year for insurance. That is opposed to individual AMA memberships, whether also club members, or not. We know, from past discussions, that all AMA members pay approximately $22 per year of their dues for insurance (2003 numbers which are getting stale), which, in part, subsidizes club insurance costs. The basic numbers I quoted come from the President’s column over the years, along with .pdf docs on the AMA site that are still there.

I can’t tell you what percentage, but, from posts in this forum, discussions at the club, and other venues where AMA members meet, a substantial percentage of the AMA membership do, indeed, purchase their memberships only as a condition of membership in AMA chartered clubs.

JR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.