Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA - The Future is Bright

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA - The Future is Bright

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 06:20 AM
Arebeck
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMA - The Future is Bright

After reading the :View from HQ" article in the October 2005 issue of MA I have to feel that the AMA is moving forward a positive direction. Having a strong, forward thinking Executive Director is an asset to any "volunteer staffed" organization. There is no doubt that the President and VP's all contribute to the overall scope and feeling of the organization but the people that make the AMA operate on a day to day basis are the paid staff. If we have a forward thinking Executive Director willing and able to make the daily decisions that will affect the organization then we will have the opportunity succeed in the future.

My feeling is that in Don Koranda we have an ED who is able to look around the AMA see what works and what doesn't and move forward from there. I believe that we will be able to look back in a couple of years and say that Don Koranda made a huge difference in the memberships perception of the AMA.

Regards.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:54 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: AMA - The Future is Bright

After reading this thread, I decided to find my copy of MA and read the last page. In the past I have always ignored that section because the value it contained didn't have any interest for me. This month it was well written and informative. It did convey to all members that the AMA is focused behind changing the paradigm in which it had been functioning over the past decade and to focus on the needs of its members. While this has been stated many times by many people at HQ, this is the first time it has been conveyed and IMPLEMENTED.

I will now read this column monthly and to help Don and the AMA when needed. While in the past my thoughts conveyed to the AMA fell on deaf ears, this time, at least I/WE will be heard..
Old 10-02-2005, 11:38 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well said, well done.
Don Koranda is a real breath of fresh air.
I never really understood the whole idea of having Joyce Hager there...I have met her, and never for a second understood why SHE was there, except it was sort of like "we ALWAYS have done it this way." I also never heard a single person ever complain about it. Never.
Anyway...Don K has the experience and the demeanor and the enthusiasm. I think the OP is right.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:03 PM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

I have had the opportunity to meet Don Koranda when he visited our club (STARS) in late August, where he presented the AMA Heritage Landmark Award to the STARS club, for their pioneering efforts in the formation of Giant Scale. Yes - AMA is in good hands under his leadership. Support him and his ideas wherever you can. It will benefit us all.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:13 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

The greatest thing about him is he has actual experience as a rep with NAA. He knows how to work with the gov'mint and international organizations. Like the FAA and FAI and Homeland Security and such. This is VITAL nowadays. We have had some trouble lately with using federally funded airports, and it seems like some of that trouble came from not knowing how the work with these organizations like the FAA properly. I feel MUCH better having Don Koranda as the point man on such things. Dave Brown is alright at that kind of thing, but having someone FROM that venue is even better.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:28 PM
the-plumber

ORIGINAL: EASYTIGER
I never really understood the whole idea of having Joyce Hager there...I have met her, and never for a second understood why SHE was there, except it was sort of like "we ALWAYS have done it this way." I also never heard a single person ever complain about it. Never.
Joyce is still around and doing what AMA wants her to do.

You have to remember that Joyce stepped into the ED position by request to fill a vacancy (IIRC) and did a yeoman job while holding that position.

Joyce also had her hands tied just a bit by some of the EC members and by one particular EVP-wannabe who went to great lengths to make her job difficult.

During all that time, Joyce ran the staff (which is the job of the ED, BTW) quite well to the extent that customer service improved remarkably. She managed to cut the response time from days or weeks to hours or days at most.

The only persons I ever heard (or read) complaining about Joyce Hager's performance were Jim McNeill and Horace Cain.

After years of doing battle, Joyce was burned out and needed a break. A well-deserved break, I might add.

Koranda isn't doing the same job, he's decided that he can make strategic decisions for AMA.

I thought that was the purview of the EC and the President.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:47 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

No argument with anything you say, except the last line.
We can USE Don Koranda. Maybe the job description has changed, right now, we can USE someone with his skills much more than we need an office manager. As far as I have seen(which is not all-encompassing) Koranda has been working only in conjunction with the Pres and EC, not against. As long as he provides leadership and vision and a talent for dealing with national organizations, I am happy to "run with it" and make the job something more than an office manager.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:47 PM
J_R

As some of you may remember, I have been on the Don Koranda bandwagon since the beginning.

What has become the main attribute of his leadership has been repeated in different sources, again and again. I will paraphrase here. “Get good people, turn ‘em loose. Hold ‘em accountableâ€

Apparently, those principles also apply to Don. The agenda for the October 2005 EC meeting has the following item: “New Business, Executive Director Evaluation.â€

I am not sure who is responsible for placing the item on the agenda. I would not be surprised if it was Doug Holland, the incumbent EVP. Doug was the one that built the coalition (ultimately, a unanimous coalition) that hired Don. Some will say that this is not true, but by simply asking your VP, confirmation can be had as to the source of the movement to hire Don. The three newer members of the EC may or may not know, since the hiring took place before their election.

In any case, if you like the direction that Don Koranda is taking the AMA, and would like to see it continue, contact your VP and let him know.

JR
Old 10-02-2005, 01:54 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Hey, I thought it was the IMAA who hired him on!

Just kiddin'...
Look...the guy has a certain sense of acheivement and can-do to him, I like that, but first and foremost his experience with the NAA is something of a skillset that we urgently need right now.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:18 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Wow, nine post in this thread and it has not degraded into name calling and BS.

I cannot attest to the customer service attitude of the AMA past 5 years ago. I will say that over the past 5 years, I have held the office of VP and Treasurer. I have found many people at HQ helpful and informative except for one lady. What I sensed was lacking was ability to read the needs of the customer and effect change along with a justification for that change that made sense. It seems that Don knows his Membership Development Committee is a work in progress. It will adapt to the needs of the customer. (US) I expect for members to get upset and to debate the actions of this committee but it seems that this group will be held accountable and will present justification for its actions. That is all that is required. All of us should realize that we will not agree with all the actions of this committee, what should be said and expected is that we understand what was done/accomplished and why!
Old 10-02-2005, 06:40 PM
Live Wire

On you mark get set go!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Things are happening at HQ as we can see but
I still will never see MUNCIE[&o] Club support I very much do not see in the future, but AMA as as whole I see some CHANCE of Change. Just don't leave your Fly open
Edit
Just a plug for the Hoss