Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

A.M.A. and their insurance coverage!

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

A.M.A. and their insurance coverage!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 09:26 PM
wild3dfunfly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A.M.A. and their insurance coverage!

You have prbably all heard about my 33% extra 330l hitting a trucking docking building and the plane hitting a trailer. Well from looking at the mufflers that were close to destroyed I thought this plane must have gone through a concrete wall. Well we got the damge report back and our insurance covered it. Ama said if that if put home insurance didnt cover it that they would completely cover the damage dues. I have four words for that... What a class act. What do you think of all of this?
Old 11-04-2002, 10:47 PM
Woody218
My Feedback: (24)

Lucky you. A local flyer had three of his giant-scale planes destroyed in the pit area by an out-of-control aircraft, and the AMA told him he was outta luck! Over $15,000 worth of planes wiped out, and the AMA shafted him. How's that for "great insurance coverage"??
Old 11-05-2002, 12:16 AM
Mluvara
My Feedback: (10)

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Lucky you. A local flyer had three of his giant-scale planes destroyed in the pit area by an out-of-control aircraft, and the AMA told him he was outta luck! Over $15,000 worth of planes wiped out, and the AMA shafted him. How's that for "great insurance coverage"??
Just curious. What was the reasoning for AMA not willing to cover?

Michael
Old 11-05-2002, 01:41 AM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Default Liability

AMA insurance is a Liability insurance not a comp. I think it will cover some non-liability acts such as theft, but in general it is liability only. This is no different than having liability only on your car and then trying to get the insurance company to cover hail damage... you'll probably be laughed out of the adjusters office.

In the above case, the owner of the destroyed planes needs to sue the owner/flier of the plane that crashed into his. The AMA might cover the liability of the person being sued.
Old 11-06-2002, 03:20 AM
wild3dfunfly

no what im talking about is the damage doen to the docking building and the trailer :stupid: :rainfro:
Old 11-06-2002, 03:21 AM
wild3dfunfly

hey i like that rainbow fro dude its krusty the clown girls and boys buahahahaha
Old 11-06-2002, 09:40 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Default I wasn't clear...

Sorry Wild3D, I wasn't posting with regards to your particular incident. You basically described exactly what the AMA insurance covers. If personal liability insurance (home owners, etc.) does not cover the liability, the AMA will insurance will take over.

I think many see the word "insurance" and expect it to cover everything. The example that Woody218 gave leads me to believe that the person who's planes were destroyed tried to collect from the AMA. This would be a comp claim, not a liability claim. AMA insurance does not provide comp insurance (only exception I know of is theft.) However, the AMA insurance would however cover the damages that the pilot of the offending aircraft caused when he crashed. Unless there is something in the fine print I don't know about I would think that if the person who had their planes destroyed in the pits sued the other pilot for damages, the AMA would cover the pilot being sued. Of course, the sued pilot's primary liability insurance would be used first if he had any.

This is however a sticky point. I know and like basically all of the pilots I've met. I'd hate to be in a situation where I feel like I need to sue one. Losing any of my giant scale planes in the manner Woody described would really get me worked up, but I doubt I'd sue the pilot. Most pilots I know would at least try to make good on the damage they caused another pilot. Then again, I've never lost a plane this way so I really don't know what I would do if the pilot offered me nothing. Yes, I'd feel as if I got the shaft, but it is not the AMA and their insurance that gave me the shaft... it would be the offending pilot that did not provide compensation that gave me the shaft.

I just find it irritating when people think they got the shaft and misplace blame. Nothing personal against Woody, but did you even read the AMA insurance binder and coverage?
Old 11-08-2002, 12:42 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

I guess it goes back to the old saying;

If you can't afford to lose it, don't fly it!