Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Disappointed about SWAC

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Disappointed about SWAC

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 12:56 PM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disappointed about SWAC

Went to the South West Aeromodelers Conference last Friday and was disappointed in what I saw. Besides being poorly advertised, there were only around 25 vendors present mostly selling electric stuff. Several booths were empty as the vendors were no shows. The swap area was down the hall in a room well away from the main traffic. The indoor flying area was larger than in the past but now included support columns in the flight area.
I was there from 11:00 am until 6:30 pm and never saw much of an increase in traffic.
For me it was just an opportunity to visit with other flyers from around the DFW metroplex. As for aircraft content, the Weatherford swap meet has displayed more variety and drawn larger crowds.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:57 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Disappointed about SWAC

Gremlin, I too was disappointed for the vendors including AMA. Friday there was no customer traffic to speak of, yet if all spent as much as I did, the there would have been a significant exchange of $$$$. Picked up a Fox 2.4 gas burner, a Fox 25, neat looking Glow MADE in USA, a bunch of batteries, some tools, J. Nelson covering material, some AMA stuff for grand-kids, and a few other trinkets.

On Saturday, I had to leave by noon so as to get back home and attend a club night-fly. However, Sat. AM, there was significantly more traffic in the show than any time Friday. I estimate at least double if not 3 times. Walking back to the Hotel I directed to the proper area several groups hunting the place.

IMO the lack of arranging local directions was the fault of the current local manager that simply failed to provide his share of the chores. Gathered that opinion through conversation with a couple other persons.

The new show-management will very likely have a much better arrangement for the next show, already contracted for Nov. of 2006. Right now I don't remember if it remains Fri.-Sat. or will be Sat.-Sun. It is, however, still the 2nd week-end of Nov.

Hopefully we can all give a boost to the show as our area well deserves a good trade-show. With a good boost from the modelers, maybe the 4 paid-vendors that failed to show up will not miss the next one.

To any moderator: IMO this thread's information is good for all South-West modelers and should be made available to all, like the Clubhouse.

edit: replace an s with f.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:44 PM
dwaynenancy
My Feedback: (62)

I'd like to attend but whoever picked these dates did not have other hobbies. The second weekend in November is the opening day of deer season in Texas and is a dedicated holiday for many of the states residents. It needs to be returned to the spring time give an option for those who can't attend some of the other large events. Wishing I could go but aiming to hit something else.

Dwayne
Old 12-10-2005, 06:30 PM
glowplugboy
My Feedback: (17)

As a vendor, I was disappointed beyond what any visitor to the conference might have experienced. I spent a tremendous amount of time and money to have a first class display. Ten major vendors who signed up didn't show up. Visitors had deep pockets and short arms. I vowed after coming to the second SWAC to never come again, but with the new venue in Ft. Worth, I thought I would give it another try. Be assured, I'll never waste my time or money on SWAC again!!
Old 12-10-2005, 07:36 PM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

As far as I am concerned, I was conned into travelling more than 1000 miles and wasting money on accomodation. I have now been to 2 SWAC meetings, my first and my last.[>:]

Safe Flying!