Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Would You Still Join the AMA if They Did NOT Provide Insurance

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Would You Still Join the AMA if They Did NOT Provide Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2002, 01:24 PM
Bill Lee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would You Still Join the AMA if They Did NOT Provide Insurance

Originally posted by redscho
Readers of this forum might find the Axiom Research survey published March 2000 an interesting read.

While it didn't specifically identify the reason people join the AMA you can get a fairly good idea from the findings. Of course it seems that the data presented in the survey has been characterized by those that commissioned it as not being relevant ?????

For those interested I'll send you a copy (.pdf format) if requested back channel.

Red Scholefield AMA 951 Leader Member/CD
[email protected]
There's a copy of this report at

http://www.AMA-Dist-8.org/AMAResearch/

Regards,

Bill Lee
Old 11-30-2002, 05:23 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

You can also see it in PowerPoint format at:

www.rcbatteryclinic.com/Temp/survey.ppt

Red Scholefield
AMA 951 LM/CD
Old 11-30-2002, 07:56 PM
dragonov3
My Feedback: (3)

Default Yes, Yeh, uh-huh, sure would, no problem.

IMHO, I think the AMA is doing a very good job, far better than I could. I like their magazine very much and have voted yes on the poll. I have been a member since the early 80's and have just renewed my membership for the next two years. I have read this thread with great interest and even though I'm not as well informed as most of you. I could think of far worse things to spend .16 cents a day on. (IE smoking , drinking, drugs and so on and so forth). This hobby is my drug of choice and I will probably be hooked on it for the rest of my life, barring some unforeseen circumstance.
The AMA has helped with my education of the different aspects of this hobby, most of which I will never do but still find interesting.
The AMA has many programs and activities, such as adopt-a-school, Flying site support, Scholarship programs, and youth programs. I don't know about you, but I would rather see my .16 cents a day go toward these programs rather than about 99.9% of the asinine programs I am forced to pay far more for by our government.
As far as the site in Muncie, I do not have any problem with that. After all they do need a place for the headquarters building.
Just because it isn't a couple of blocks from my house doesn't mean I don't think their shouldn't be one. And in case you think our dues are high now, just think if they bought that much property in the DC area or in California. I live in California, property prices are ridiculous.
I also am glad they have the rules that everyone is required to follow. In this hobby as in most there is an element of danger that needs to be addressed with safety rules and regulations. Believe me I am not one that likes to be regulated, but when I take my three young sons out to the field I like to know that I have a reasonable expectation that some MORON with a high powered model isn't going to do something "cool" and hurt me or mine.
I am not well versed on the AMA's lobbying in Washington, but I really don't see any other RC airplane organization doing as much.
So yes I would pay the $58.00 a year if they didn't have insurance benefits.
Old 12-11-2002, 05:27 AM
rcfireman
My Feedback: (1)

If you notice, it is all the old school flyers that are saying they would join w/o insurance. I am sure that in their day, the 30's 40's 50's and 60's, that the AMA did something for the sport. However, I for one would spend my $58 in the hobby shop if I had the choice! I have to agree with Fritz the Cat, the AMA has not done anything for the hobby recently. I have witnessed two flying sites close recently, with NO HELP from the AMA!!!!!!! Yes they have a nice building, but do they need more space? They will tell you yes, I say NO!

If the AMA determines that you were flying in a dangerous manner, they will reject your claim! Guess who gets left holding the bag? If this happens get ready to bend over!!!! Also, by not supporting other insurance companies (I.E. Unitedmodelers) they are not promoting our hobby. They are in fact limiting the number of people who can participate at a given field/event. This is bad for our hobby.

It does not take a smart person to see why so many are upset with the AMA. I.E. phone calls NOT returned, refusing to answer question on a certain subject, answers given that make no sense, etc. Read the post form the people that have called and asked the question, what a joke

I join only because I have to!!!!!!! Like so many other flyers I see NO advantage in being a member. Until I see some of the benefits, I will feel this way.
Old 12-12-2002, 03:20 AM
J_R

rcfireman

I suspect that you are partially correct. I would guess that the yes votes are split between the old time flyer's and the younger ones interested in competition. As P 51-b pointed out, the Special Interest Groups (SIG's) are one of the main reasons, other than insurance, that the AMA exists. Judging from the number of votes cast, most voters are not taking the time to post a reason why they voted as they did.

JR
Old 12-17-2002, 04:36 PM
Crashem

Thanks everyone for giving their opinion I realize this is in no way scientific. But as of this posting there are some interesting
results

Post was Viewed 2205 times

No- 105 votes
Yes - 36

Even accounting for repeat viewing alot of people didn't bother to cast a vote... Maybe that says something about this topic.... You pays your money and flys your toys...

Thanks agian

Moderator please close this one up
Old 12-19-2002, 01:25 PM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The End

At the request of the original thread starter, this thread is now officially closed, The End.

BV
RCU Community Moderator
Old 06-25-2008, 10:40 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Default RE: The End

Really?
Old 06-25-2008, 11:09 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)