Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

IMAA Director District 1 resigns

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

IMAA Director District 1 resigns

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 08:06 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: IMAA Director District 1 resigns

Here is the Roger Smith, Director and High Flight Editor, document that was presented to AND accepted by the IMAA Board of Directors on January 31, 1998 at the Board meeting held in Orlando Florida.

AGREEMENT TO TERMINATE EMPLOYEMENT CONTRACT

WHEREBY the parties mutually have agreed to terminate the exiting employment contract between ROGER SMITH as Managing Editor of the publication known as High Flight, and having agreed to enter into this agreement to demonstrate and record the terms of that agreement the parties hereby agree as follows:

1. The parties to the Agreement are the International Miniature Aircraft Association, Inc., and Roger Smith and Fran Smith, his wife.

2. Roger Smith is hereby released from the terms, conditions and duties of his contract of employment as Managing Editor of the publication known as High Flight, including any limitation contained in the pre-existing employment contract, or that may otherwise apply, that would restrict in any way any future employment of Roger Smith as an Editor, or employment in any other capacity with any other publication.

3. The International Miniature Aircraft Association Inc., agrees to and shall pay Roger Smith the sum of $3,210.00 upon delivery to Millbrook printing, timely, and in a manner suitable for publication the Spring, 1998 edition of the magazine High Flight.

4. The International Miniature Aircraft Association, Inc. agrees to and shall pay the sum of $700.00 to Fran Smith for the collection efforts expended by here and associated with the advertisement revenues generated by the High Flight publication through the date of this agreement.

5. Fran Smith shall submit appropriate billings to all advertisers for the publication known as High Flight for the publication of the advertisement in the Spring edition of that publication in accordance with her past normal and regular practices, but shall not be responsible for collecting the same, although any revenues received by Fran Smith, or by Roger Smith, for the Spring issue of High Flight shall be forwarded to the International Miniature Aircraft Association, Inc. immediately upon receipt by either Roger Smith or Fran Smith.

6. The International Miniature Aircraft Association, Inc., shall undertake all steps reasonably necessary to prevent any further publication of an reference to either Roger Smith or Fran Smith in High Flight magazine, or upon the I.M.A.A. web site, and expend all efforts necessary to eliminate any reference to Roger Smith or Fran Smith upon that web site or in that publication at all times subsequent to this Agreement with the following exception.

a. The International Miniature Aircraft Association, Inc. shall acknowledge, by way of a statement of the Board of Directors of the International Miniature Aircraft Association, Inc. to be published in the Summer, 1998, issue of "High Flight" commending the efforts made by Roger Smith and Fran Smith in making the High Flight publication a success, both financially and in its content; and
b. Roger Smith and Fran Smith shall have approval rights over the language to be contained in that statement prior to its publication, which approval will not be unreasonably withheld by either Roger Smith or Fran Smith.

7. Roger Smith and Fran Smith shall deliver to the International Miniature Aircraft Association, Inc. or its agent, at its (I.M.A.A'S) expense, all materials, publications and personal property owned by the International Miniature Aircraft Association, Inc., in their possession within sixty (60) days of the execution of this Agreement.

8. Roger Smith shall be paid the sum of $12,840.00 by the International Miniature Aircraft Association, Inc., immediately upon execution of this Agreement said sum representing one-half of the sum to become due under the terms and conditions of the employment contract which this Agreement otherwise terminates.

9. Roger Smith and Fran Smith shall and hereby do agree to forego the initiation of any litigation against High Flight, the International Miniature Aircraft Association, Inc., its officers directors, agents and employees; including but not limited to, Selig Solomon and Andrew Smith, based upon claims of libel and invasion of privacy that they had or may have had for any and all acts of said parties and individuals for acts of said parties and individuals through the date of this Agreement.

10. The International Miniature Aircraft Association, Inc., shall hold harmless and indemnify Roger Smith and Fran Smith for any and all claims and causes of action arising out of the efforts they have expended in connection with the prior employment duties of each, including all expenses reasonably incurred in pursuing their efforts in accordance with past practices between the parties hereto by Roger Smith and Fran Smith on behalf of the International Miniature Aircraft Association, Inc.

11. In the event any dispute arises with reference to the terms and conditions of this Agreement or its construction, the dispute shall be resolved by way of arbitration. For purpose of any such arbitration, the International Miniature Aircraft Association, Inc., shall appoint on arbitrator, Roger Smith and Fran Smith together shall appoint one arbitrator, and the arbitrators so appointed shall select a third arbitrator. Any arbitration meeting that shall arise pursuant to this Agreement shall be held by way of telephone conference call, or alternatively, if a meeting of the arbitrators is deemed necessary, said meeting shall be held in the Detroit, Michigan Metropolitan area. The parties agree to be bound by the decision and award of the three arbitrators. The costs and expenses incurred in connection with said arbitration shall be born by the non-prevailing party as determined at the time of the arbitration.
This agreement constitutes the entirety of the agreement between the parties hereto.

WITNESSES: INTERNATIONAL AIRCRAFT ASSOCIATION, INC.

By:
ROBERT DEAN, President

ROGER SMITH

FRAN SMITH

Old 12-10-2005, 11:02 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the big deal?
Old 12-10-2005, 11:12 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: EASYTIGER

What's the big deal?
ET-

I think it's a replay of the Civil War. Wanna bet who wins?

Abel
Old 12-10-2005, 11:20 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should have kept my mouth shut!

But, you know, when you terminate an employee under contract, you might have to reach an agreement with them, and I don't see ANYTHING odious about this contract termination at all, $12,000 is not a staggering sum of money, I don't see what the problem is.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:56 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned

ORIGINAL: EASYTIGER

Should have kept my mouth shut!

But, you know, when you terminate an employee under contract, you might have to reach an agreement with them, and I don't see ANYTHING odious about this contract termination at all, $12,000 is not a staggering sum of money, I don't see what the problem is.
The problem is that the "employee" who was also the employer (Director), initiated the termination and with the help of other directors.

From the archives:

On the evening prior to the board meeting (Jan 30, 1998) nine directors out of the 12 met with Roger Smith at a different site and established the way the group would vote the following day. When the board met on Saturday morning, January 31, 1998 Director Bumper Lyons promptly called for a closed executive session.

When the board finished with its executive session it was learned that Roger Smith had resigned his position as editor of High Flight. Roger presented the board with a contract buyout agreement, which was prepared by his attorney sometime prior to the scheduled Board meeting in Orlando. This agreement called for the payment of $12,840, which is the sum equal to 50% of the amount due under the terms of his contract if it remained in force for the next two years. In return Roger agreed to forego the initiation of any litigation against High Flight, the IMAA, its officers, agents and employees, based upon claims of libel and invasion of privacy. Several directors stated that Roger threatened to call his lawyer immediately and initiate litigation if the board did not accept his buyout contract then and there at the meeting.

Fact: The IMAA legal advisor was present at the Friday night meeting and reviewed the proposed agreement presented by Roger Smith. He never informed the remainder of the board that he had attended this meeting nor what had taken place. At no time was the board ever given any facts or the substance forming the basis of the threatened litigation. The board accepted the agreement, which in addition to the $12,840 pay out, included a clause releasing Roger from his non-competition clause in his contract. The editor’s contract contains a provision that enables either side to terminate the relationship, upon sixty days notice from the Board or ninety days notice from the editor, for no reason, and with no buy out requirement or provision.

Old 12-11-2005, 12:48 PM
frankp
My Feedback: (34)

It must be a slow week for news if we have to bring up RS and the buy-out. The IMAA membership should be concerned about the CURRENT PROBLEMS facing the IMAA and what action the new leadership will take.

Frank V. Ponteri
IMAA District One Director
Old 12-11-2005, 12:57 PM
frankp
My Feedback: (34)

This was copied from the IMAA Web Site. The position currently pays $2000/yr.

November 2, 2005
IMAA is looking to fill the position of Event Sanction Coordinator. If you would like to be considered for this position, please contact IMAA President Tom Hayden.

Job Description and requirements:

2 or 3 years experience as an IMAA member and has traveled to IMAA events.
Exposure to or participation of an event and how it is organized and run - a plus.
Technical skills in the following areas are helpful:
Microsoft (MS) Office Suite 2002/2003
Word, Excel and Access.
Rounded knowledge of MS Access database
Understand database concepts and structures.
Ability to create and modify queries and reports.
Ability to create and modify forms and graphs.
Perform database maintenance periodically.
Maintain backups of the database.
Ability to use e-mail and understand the concept with attachments.
Maintain distribution lists and to develop questionnaires – as needed.
Ability to use MS Money or equivalent to properly maintain IMAA expense account. This is used to transmit reports to the Sec/Treas when necessary.
Excellent oral, written and organizational skills.
Ability to maintain documentation for the event sanction coordinator process.
Excellent people skills and time management – a must.
Excellent communication skills with IMAA Directors, Staff and IMAA membership.
Ability to recognize a problem before it develops and immediately take action with possible solutions.
Willingness to adapt to change and implement the processes necessary to comply.
Always be supportive to all IMAA and AMA membership personnel.
Please Note: Please continue to send your Event Sanction requests and AMA documents to David Moro. IMAA will notify everyone when a change occurs.

Frank V. Ponteri
District One Director
Old 12-11-2005, 01:22 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

The remaining members should know the history so that they won't let it be repeated.

Red S.

ORIGINAL: frankp

It must be a slow week for news if we have to bring up RS and the buy-out. The IMAA membership should be concerned about the CURRENT PROBLEMS facing the IMAA and what action the new leadership will take.

Frank V. Ponteri
Old 12-25-2005, 04:00 PM
Brian Smith
My Feedback: (117)

I have seen it, and read it. I sent in my Dues to re-join. IMAA 21141. I attend IMAA gatherings every chance I get and see "no" fussing, only great guys who gather to enjoy themselves, and fly "IMAA" legal models. I enjoy the Hi-Flight magazine and it alone is worth my dues. My 2 cents. Brian Smith Tullahoma Tn..

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

The remaining members should know the history so that they won't let it be repeated.

Red S.

ORIGINAL: frankp

Frank V. Ponteri
Old 12-26-2005, 01:18 PM
the-plumber

ORIGINAL: Brian Smith
Brian Smith Tullahoma Tn..
Brian -

You guys still doing an annual float fly ?
Old 12-26-2005, 03:48 PM
Brian Smith
My Feedback: (117)

Hi Fred
We had two last year and two are in the works for this year, but the dates are not final. Ist one as of now is 1st. sat in June. The second one is for 2nd Sat in Sept.
Please check our web page and when it/they are finalized it will be listed there. www.cafes.net/herb/
Be great to have you up. The float fly-ins are growing bigger every year when the conditions and weather forecast is good. BCNU. Brian Smith
ORIGINAL: the-plumber

ORIGINAL: Brian Smith
Brian Smith Tullahoma Tn..
Brian -

You guys still doing an annual float fly ?
Old 05-06-2012, 04:48 PM
Torque64

hello everybody :-).

I am looking to find past issues online of high flight magazine :-) I built a spacewalker 2 for Roger Smith when he was at hiflight my name is Philip Good and I think it was in 1991? Issue I did see it online back in early 2000 2004 but I have not seen it in a very long time and I would like to find for posterity sake it had a Gemini 160 OS engine in it.

If anybody can find information on it for me please e-mail me at

[email protected]

Sincerely;

Philip

Or if anybody is interested in pit bikes-that is what I build now high performance chip bites and electric hub bicycles as well as peddling over electric bicycles/solar.

Thanks again
Old 05-06-2012, 06:24 PM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

SAY WHAT????

You awakened a 7 year old post for ????????????????????????????????

Dan