Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Renewal: Waive right to sue AMA?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Renewal: Waive right to sue AMA?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 11:34 AM
DMichael
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Renewal: Waive right to sue AMA?

I just renewed my AMA online. At the end you are required to agree to the following:

" * By processing this application, you are accepting that you have read and agree to the declaration below:

Note: This waiver means that if I am involved in any claim or suit I will not sue the AMA, Inc. I understand that this waiver does not affect my liability insurance coverage."

Though I can't imagine that I would, this kind of line always causes me discomfort- signing my rights away. What's the take on this? Is it a big deal or not?

Old 01-05-2006, 12:27 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Renewal: Waive right to sue AMA?

ORIGINAL: DMichael

I just renewed my AMA online. At the end you are required to agree to the following:

" * By processing this application, you are accepting that you have read and agree to the declaration below:

Note: This waiver means that if I am involved in any claim or suit I will not sue the AMA, Inc. I understand that this waiver does not affect my liability insurance coverage."

Though I can't imagine that I would, this kind of line always causes me discomfort- signing my rights away. What's the take on this? Is it a big deal or not?

Only to those that make a career out of bashing the AMA. Besides, if waivers of this type were valid McDonalds would have them printed on all their coffee cups.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:37 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I may have to get some 'official' wording on this according to the 'lllllllllllllaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwww.

Jerry
Old 01-05-2006, 09:59 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It always makes me respect a bunch of people who do not want their customers to have the right to sue them for good cause or reason . BUUT. Still keep the right to sue YOU.
Really makes you feel like you have just found the most wonderfull people in the world.
Only reason I can think of is the planes are starting to injure and damage to many people.
And they, all experts should know better.
All the speedy and big planes are sometimes un-guided missiles. No mystery.
-
NO WAY do I sign my legal rights away for playing with a toy airplane with a bunch of other kids.
-
- Add this topic to the, " Rise of the non-AMA flying clubs."----( outlaws ).
Old 01-06-2006, 07:45 AM
Stripes
My Feedback: (19)

Red hit it right. Waivers of this type aren't worth the ink it takes to print them. They are in the same catagory as the big signs in the parking lots that say they aren't responsible for damage to your car.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:52 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It doesn't instill confidence in the ama when they ask you to sign this up front??? If this policy isn't really worth anything and I'm sure that they cleared and checked it with their legal dept then I wonder about some of the other policies they have? Just thinking out loud....
Old 01-06-2006, 12:15 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

The AMA is only interested in maintaining club flying sites as this is their main source of income. This is done through the site insurance. There is little profit in the individual non-affilitated member. So you get all sorts of exceptions in the insurance. I would not be surpirsed that soon you can not be an AMA member unless you ARE club affilitated and fly ONLY at the club site.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:50 PM
cyclops2

There is ABSOLUTLY NO coverage with either my homeowner or auto policy. I really did not think there should be.
When I read the medical coverage on the AMA site, I realized that by the time I pay for the local club fees ,1st year of $ 180, plus senior membership, I am out about $ 250 and I have NO rights with AMA Corporate OR AMA local club or flying field.
I can walk away from any type of unethical money grabbing group who only takes money and then calls me the biggest jerk as he takes it out of my hand.
I will see if AMA drops the no sue portion in 6 months. If not, I drop the AMA.
Now that the bussiness hobby owners have taken over the AMA, they are stripping the members, ( just like their own workers ), of the monies that they send in for our benefits.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:12 PM
Loubud

Cyclops,
If business took over the AMA it wouldn't lose money for long or they shut it down. The AMA is what it is. Insurance.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:26 PM
cyclops2

Loubud, that is the most accurate statement I have seen yet.
Thanks for getting most of my present outlook on the AMA right.
Rich.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:41 PM
Loubud

Cyclops,
I thought your point was Lawyers took over. Hmmn. Maybe they did but you're welcome anyway. I don't get many thanks around here.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:15 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

ORIGINAL: cyclops2

There is ABSOLUTLY NO coverage with either my homeowner or auto policy. I really did not think there should be.
Did I read this right? Your home owners insurance does not cover your hobby/recreational activites? What insurance company is this?
Old 01-06-2006, 07:23 PM
cyclops2

New Jersey Manufacturers Insurance Company.
1 st call, I have $ 500,000 coverage. 2 nd call and a longer wait was the, NO coverage for flying RC controlled model airplanes.
I will call again on Monday. Maybe partial coverage ?
I called a few special hobby insurance Co. NO interest.
I will call the National Carriers and Underwriters and see what #'s of people and money a Simple and primary policy would cost if available.
SOMEBODY out there wants our money. We just need a A-1 rated company. That will pay off.
I will give it my best shot then.
I live in N J.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:56 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isin't that EXACTLY what I told you?
And you told me I was all "the sky is falling!"
You guys are going to find this out...that model airplanes will NOT NOT NOT be covered by most liabilty plans. Or aviation activity of ANY kind.
Cyclops...I am going to tell you something else, and someday you will realize I am correct...
You are mistaken about AMA in general.

And another thing...feel free to call all the brokers you want. You are going to find that very few, if any, actually will want to write anything related to model airplanes at all, and that nobody will beat AMA's deal.
Do you realize AMA covers the first $250k of any claim, that they essentially have a $250k deductable? Has a lot to do with why they CAN get insurance at all...
Old 01-06-2006, 10:08 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

My AAA covers it as it's a HOBBY. When you tell them "planes" or "aircraft" they get confused.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:13 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

ORIGINAL: SoCal GliderGuider

My AAA covers it as it's a HOBBY. When you tell them "planes" or "aircraft" they get confused.
So you aren't really covered. What good is that? Might as well just make up a fake AMA card with a color copier. It's worth the same.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:15 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

ORIGINAL: Stripes

Red hit it right. Waivers of this type aren't worth the ink it takes to print them. They are in the same catagory as the big signs in the parking lots that say they aren't responsible for damage to your car.
You got it exactly. Red got it exactly. Such waviers DO serve a purpose, though. They keep really stupid people from suing, as they think such a thing as a wavier like this actually means something! It is about the legal power of "no backsies!"
Old 01-07-2006, 12:11 AM
SoCal GliderGuider

ORIGINAL: EASYTIGER

So you aren't really covered. What good is that? Might as well just make up a fake AMA card with a color copier. It's worth the same.
Yes I'm coverd as it's a hobby of model airplanes. Have to talk with a very experianced insurance agent and not the low wage phone help.

It is to be noted that the majority of modeling acidents where the flyer is an AMA member and has liability through their home owners or renters policies are paid by those policies. Most are covered even if the phone techs don't know it.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:20 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Yes I'm coverd as it's a hobby of model airplanes. Have to talk with a very experianced insurance agent and not the low wage phone help.

It is to be noted that the majority of modeling acidents where the flyer is an AMA member and has liability through their home owners or renters policies are paid by those policies. Most are covered even if the phone techs don't know it.
Get it on paper. Put your money where you mouth is. Go call up your "very experienced insurance agent" tomorrow and tell him you want it specifically stated. Take a photo of said document and post it here.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:53 AM
bhole74

I'm still trying to figure out why some are hell bent on finding an insurance policy which has much less coverage and costs much more money than the $58 + magazine AMA provides. AMA is not some "Doomsday" organization that will suck the life out of your body if you join. AMA is a whole lot more than insurance, but I guess some people are too closed minded to admit it. AMA is not a perfect org., I don't know any org that is, but but some of the attitudes are just REDICULOUS! What bad things will happen to you if you join the AMA?
Old 01-07-2006, 12:20 PM
cyclops2

Why is it in post #17 he states,, the intention of the AMA is to deny a person the right to sue,, is because all our legal educations are not as high as the threatening legal staff of a organization WE ALL pay the bills for!!
Old 01-07-2006, 12:56 PM
bhole74

I don't recall the disclaimer word for word but more than likely it is for those who believe in case of an accident, AMA is at fault, just like the one who spills coffee on her lap when driving, it MUST have been McDonalds fault that she is not the sharpest tool in the shed. If you notice, kit manufacturers have a similar disclaimer, as does many products you buy.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:21 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

ORIGINAL: bhole74

I'm still trying to figure out why some are hell bent on finding an insurance policy which has much less coverage and costs much more money than the $58 + magazine AMA provides. AMA is not some "Doomsday" organization that will suck the life out of your body if you join. AMA is a whole lot more than insurance, but I guess some people are too closed minded to admit it. AMA is not a perfect org., I don't know any org that is, but but some of the attitudes are just REDICULOUS! What bad things will happen to you if you join the AMA?
Agreed on all, except this. If you can find additional(or substitute) coverage elsewhere, GO FOR IT. I want to hear all about it, any additional insurance is welcome.
I have it, but only because I have a work-related policy with models as an addendum. It costs thousands a year, the models are an additional rider. If I wanted to do models alone, they were not interested in writing a policy for a reasonable amount.
So, I am all for anybody exploring additional insurance.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:39 PM
bhole74

ORIGINAL: bhole74

Agreed on all, except this. If you can find additional(or substitute) coverage elsewhere, GO FOR IT. I want to hear all about it, any additional insurance is welcome.
I have it, but only because I have a work-related policy with models as an addendum. It costs thousands a year, the models are an additional rider. If I wanted to do models alone, they were not interested in writing a policy for a reasonable amount.
So, I am all for anybody exploring additional insurance.
Ditto, ET. Especially if it is PRIMARY coverage, and yes, it will likely be EXPENSIVE. Horrace come to mind when we speak of additional ins., he has posted all his ins many a time.[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 01-07-2006, 01:53 PM
cyclops2

Did I read correctly that.
No AMA member can collect damages from another AMA member? I hit you with my plane.
Total medical is $ 25,000?
Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.