Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Good Job Available, Muncie, IN

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Good Job Available, Muncie, IN

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 10:20 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Good Job Available, Muncie, IN

Need, or know someone that is in need of a good Job, Muncie, IN ?

AMA Seeks Executive Director

The Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) is in search of an executive director, which is the chief operating officer of the corporation. This person will oversee the Academy’s daily operations and a staff of approximately 60 employees. AMA is a multimillion-dollar, non-profit membership association and serves approximately 161,000 active members.

The ideal candidate will be an accomplished leader with significant management capabilities and excellent organizational, administrative, financial, and communication skills. A bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience is desired.

Association experience is preferred, and membership in AMA and/or aeromodeling experience is a plus. The Academy provides a competitive compensation-and-benefits package.

A complete job description can be found in PDF format on the AMA Web site at www.modelaircraft.org/PDF-files/EDJD.pdf. Interested applicants should submit a résumé, cover letter, salary requirements, and a list of three references to:

Mary Hurn
Human Resources
5161 E. Memorial Dr.
Muncie IN 47302
[email protected]

The closing date for applications will be April 28, 2006.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:02 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Good Job Available, Muncie, IN

Well Hoss, did you apply?

Woops
Old 01-14-2006, 05:36 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's this guy, SoCalGliderGuider, who is JUST the guy....
Old 01-14-2006, 06:33 PM
50%plane

I think Hoss should get the job.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:38 PM
abel_pranger

S. Frank has already set up residence in Munchie.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:56 PM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: woops

Write me a resume woops and send it in for me. If they let me work from home like the good MA aeromodeling editor, and your resume gets me hired, I'll split the $100,000.00 annual with you on a 60-40 basis, you being the smaller. [>:]
However, don't run out and buy a couple turbine ARFs yet because I am far too lazy to make a living at home. The workshop or the flying field beckons me too much. Work doesn't! [:'(]

My father was a work-aholic and my 2 sons are, however I was the "generation skipped" reference work. When I was a teen, my father said he knew I was not 'afraid' of work because I could lie down beside it and go to sleep.

However, woops, baby, you go git us thet thar welfare job and we'll do good fer a day or two.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:16 PM
50%plane

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

ORIGINAL: woops

Write me a resume woops and send it in for me. If they let me work from home like the good MA aeromodeling editor, and your resume gets me hired, I'll split the $100,000.00 annual with you on a 60-40 basis, you being the smaller. [>:]
However, don't run out and buy a couple turbine ARFs yet because I am far too lazy to make a living at home. The workshop or the flying field beckons me too much. Work doesn't! [:'(]

My father was a work-aholic and my 2 sons are, however I was the "generation skipped" reference work. When I was a teen, my father said he knew I was not 'afraid' of work because I could lie down beside it and go to sleep.

However, woops, baby, you go git us thet thar welfare job and we'll do good fer a day or two.
I'm pleased you enjoyed my post.

Woops
Old 01-14-2006, 10:49 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't get it.....is $100K considered a lot for that job?
Old 01-15-2006, 12:28 PM
Hossfly

Haven't a clue right now, but for a non-productive, stay-at-home new-hire, I think it would be substantial.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:27 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"I don't get it.....is $100K considered a lot for that job?"

Is that the ANNUAL salary or just the bonus????

Jerry
Old 01-18-2006, 08:41 AM
SSRCCPREZ

Hmmm...it sounds good, but it does not seem to ba a stable job. More of a temp to perm style job. $100k is not enough to be fired a year later.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:05 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had no idea that we all paid for 61 people.
That needs to be a fair sized building.
-------I am out of this topic, I am getting paranoid about money again.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:14 PM
Liberator

You got that right. The first time you walk in and say "things are a changin there is a new Sheriff in town", you will get the boot.
I get the distinct feeling that the good folks in Muncie do not work and play well with others...unless you keep doing things their way.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:05 PM
Hossfly

Regardless of opinions and funnies here, AMA has been using email to get this word out. This is a first as far as I know for AMA to go outside a small circle to obtain an employee. Of course the person selected may well be within that very small circle.

AMA is not a typical operation as far as charitable organizations go. IMO the majority of model aviation enthusiasts are more like artists and do not like to march to the same tune in the same step. In most organizations the salaried President or Executive Director is the voice. He runs things and makes policy (EAA for example). The ED at AMA doesn't really do that. Supposedly, the EC sets the policy and the EC administrates that policy throughout the staff.
Back in the days of John Worth, AMA was pretty well run by JW himself. The EC just voted "YES" to whatever "JW" wanted. Then came Earl Witt as President and things started changing. There were some real growing pains for a few years, however after some years things returned to normal then degraded from there. Unfortunately, again just an observer's opinion, a number of staffers began making their own "Policy" and both the EC and the ED rubber-stamped whatever certain staff were doing. The most easily observed example is the magazine Model Aviation. There you have a large commercial magazine that is a very expensive item in the cost-to-member list. There are a number of others.

It will be very interesting to see how this search for an Executive Director plays out. Will it be like the last one? All the self proclamations of doing so good and then in a year, all is lost. [:-] I have not heard/seen the EC express any reasons how they could have been so wrong in their first judgment, OR WAS IT THEIR LATTER judgment???

Will we get any answers from someone that applies for this job? Will this one continue to walk away from those that beckon him? [X(] Hey, this is AMA SOAP and we are here to witness it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99239.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	391529  
Old 01-20-2006, 02:53 PM
abel_pranger

Will we get any answers from someone that applies for this job? Will this one continue to walk away from those that beckon him? [X(] Hey, this is AMA SOAP and we are here to witness it.
Hey Hoss-

With that one continuing to walk away, I'm a happy camper.

Who the heck is going to beckon him?

Abel
Old 01-20-2006, 04:02 PM
SSRCCPREZ

hopefully the grim reaper
Old 01-27-2006, 10:28 AM
fliers1

I'm curious. Does the E.D. position pay more than the AMA president position? It would seem to me that Dave Brown would be more than qualified to become AMA's new E.D. Wonder why he doesn't take the job?

CCR
Old 01-27-2006, 12:16 PM
gary9648
My Feedback: (1)

He lives in Cinn.,OH
Old 01-27-2006, 12:32 PM
fliers1

ORIGINAL: gary9648

He lives in Cinn.,OH
The last E.D. didn't live in Muncie but still took the job. Besides, it's only a 2 hour 12 minute drive from Hamilton, OH. to Muncie.

CCR
Old 02-16-2006, 07:01 PM
Kanain

Hey Horrace - good to see ya! Long time no chat.

All others - For those of you who don't know me, I do occassionally post in this forum, but only when something really needs to be said. The last major elections was such a time. I also occassionally speak out against the misconception that AMA is an insurance company and therefore provides no added value to its membership. It is after all YOUR club regardless of who is running it or your personally feelings towards them.

Not certain of the pay scale being offered for this position and have heard "mixed" descriptions of the posted function (job description). I do however meet the qualifications and have entertained the thought of submitting my resume for review. Currently live near Cleveland, Ohio and the move is not an issue. However, the reputation and sometimes action, reaction, or inaction from others of my not so great state leaves me riding the fence on this one until such time as I see further information concerning the REAL roles and responsibilities of the position. If it's a Yes Man, that's just not me. If it's Operations and a free hand in the decisions behind the daily operations of the organization, with input into the support and understanding of the members of this organization - that I can do.

Any and all who have information to provide from the direction of LOOKING IN, please let me know. I am making inquiries from others concerning the LOOKING OUT.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:01 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

Not much job security, is there?
Old 02-16-2006, 10:05 PM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: fliers1

I'm curious. Does the E.D. position pay more than the AMA president position? It would seem to me that Dave Brown would be more than qualified to become AMA's new E.D. Wonder why he doesn't take the job?

CCR

The Executive Director(ED) is a paid Staff position. President is a volunteer Executive Council (EC) (Board of Directors) member-ship elected position. The EC hires the ED.

Dave Brown is, like me, getting a bit old to take on a daily job. Besides he has a full time Job -- Dave Brown Products. I think Dave is EXTREMELY well set financially and probably rather take care of his 2 1-1 scale machines than take on a second job.
As Pres. of AMA he is totally in charge of the EC ( he denies it, but study the results) and as ED he would be a SUBJECT of the EC.
Does that help your wondering?
Old 02-16-2006, 10:12 PM
fliers1

Thanks Hoss, yes indeed it does. One wonders why it seems that no one wants what I think may be such a high paying job.

CCR

ORIGINAL: fliers1

CCR

The Executive Director(ED) is a paid Staff position. President is a volunteer Executive Council (EC) (Board of Directors) member-ship elected position. The EC hires the ED.

Dave Brown is, like me, getting a bit old to take on a daily job. Besides he has a full time Job -- Dave Brown Products. I think Dave is EXTREMELY well set financially and probably rather take care of his 2 1-1 scale machines than take on a second job.
As Pres. of AMA he is totally in charge of the EC ( he denies it, but study the results) and as ED he would be a SUBJECT of the EC.
Does that help your wondering?
Old 02-17-2006, 07:17 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

They'd have to pay more than that for me to move back up in the cold. Still can't figure out why they put a warm weather activity up north!! Going to be in the 70's today, think I'll go fly... [8D]
Old 02-18-2006, 05:02 PM
Kanain

EASYTIGER -

I REALLY hope you were kidding about the SolCalGliderGuider thing. I didn't see your face , so I couldn't tell.