Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Age limit for R/C operation

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Age limit for R/C operation

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2003, 05:10 AM
David Cutler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Age limit for R/C operation

Originally posted by beavertail
Age should have nothing to do with this thread, Flying unsafe is flying unsafe wether you have teeth or not, . j/k
. or, indeed, somebody else's teeth.

-DC
Old 02-07-2003, 06:56 PM
Live Wire

Sorry don't volunteer for anything , Help start club and find field, club meeting this month. Same old story I don't want the job BUT!!!!!! If no one wants the job WELLLLLLLL. Sorry Money and name . Election day here. Sorry HB hoarse feathers.
Old 02-08-2003, 12:18 AM
cdsmith

Default Re: Age limit for R/C operation

The club I belong to just implemented a pilot qualification program.

See it here..........www.rcrcc.com

The program has nothing to do with age.
Old 02-08-2003, 12:57 AM
hamothare

Our club of almost fifty members are about ninty percent old retired and many great flyers and boy do we have a good time. If anyone ever does have a problem someone is always there to help. But we have found out that most of the problems are with the younger pilots, many who do not understand the dangers of R/C flying. Please no more rules. Help your friends when they need it and have a good time like R/C flying is supposed to be.
Old 02-08-2003, 04:38 AM
Gordo-ProBro
Banned

Hey, uh, no offense cdsmith, but YUK! I'll stick to my little club where we have fun! (not that you don't) But what's up with a student solo checklist with TWO signitures? 6 month PROVISIONAL membership, and you have to have a SPONSOR to join? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH It was easier to get into the NAVY!

I'm all about safety, but this is a hobby. A guy can go buy a plane, ready to fly, for 300 bucks. Go to the local school yard and try to fly it, and kill some poor schmuck. But if we make it easy, affordable (low or no club dues for new guys, not MORE for new guys) and no pressure (2 signitures on your qual card?) he (or she) might choose the safe and fun way!

Seriously, cdsmith, (no, don't be mad, you just brought it up) do you think it encourages safe learning to charge an additional $100.00 for new members "initiation"?

Hey to each his own, but I'd never join that club!

(boy have we left this subject, and I'm the one who said it was wasted electrons)

Gordon

I was about to edit my spelling, but heck, sound it out!
Old 07-05-2016, 08:14 AM
zbobber

No individual should be involved by themselves. However this should be handled at the club level to prevent anything happening again. First; if it is apparent that the individual is handicapped in any way they should be offered assistance and monitored (spotter etc.) or whatever you want to call it. Some of these timers used to fly very well in the past and if they haven't been out lately their flying skills maybe a little rusty. Another reason may that the fellow may have been a long time builder and that was the first flight. Bottom line pay attention when at the field and be a good sport so you and others call have a good safe time. If you are out at the field get to know someone if you can before they fly and make sure that they are AMA.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:56 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Crashem
Bull....
Sounds like a fact!!! R/C flying requires hand eye coordination and good reflexes!!!!

As we get older these skills deteriorate..

...........I think the idea of the red card for safety violations is a great Idea and should be in the AMA rules for god sake everything else is in there..

When you are young, you have neither the skills nor the judgement required for many tasks.

Rule making is a task for example.

And you probably haven't noticed that the only place red cards come close to working is where professional referees are employed full time. And their presence didn't do anything to stop the infraction. Also, you probably haven't noticed how lousy that system works when employed at the club levels. It's a good thing the young and inexperienced have little to do with running things.

BTW, there is mandatory drivers license re-testing in every state in the union isn't there. I've only lived in 7, but was in each of them long enough to have been required to renew. And renewal required re-testing. And how have you seen that work as a solution to anything.

Last edited by da Rock; 07-10-2016 at 05:09 AM.
Old 07-10-2016, 02:24 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by da Rock
BTW, there is mandatory drivers license re-testing in every state in the union isn't there. I've only lived in 7, but was in each of them long enough to have been required to renew. And renewal required re-testing. And how have you seen that work as a solution to anything.
Actually, no, not all states have mandatory retesting. Since I live in Washington State, I can tell you WE DON'T GET RETESTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We go in every five years, take a simple vision test and, if we pass that, we are issued a new license. At times, I wish we did have retesting since there are some that have no clue as to how to drive anything, especially those under 30 with motorcycle endorsements that ride high powered racing inspired motorcycles