Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

New AMA 2003 Safety Code (rule#9)

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

New AMA 2003 Safety Code (rule#9)

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2002, 07:27 PM
jerrysu29

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New AMA 2003 Safety Code (rule#9)

Well here is what the AMA has added to the 2003 AMA Safety Code. 9) Under no circumstances may a pilot or other person touch a powered model in flight.
So as I understand this rule I can still hand launch my powered aircraft, but can't hand recover from the hover position.
I wonder just how all the TOC guys think of this new rule.
I would like to know who made this decision in the first place because I for one can't remember anyone asking US members about voting or anything else pertaining to this isue at all !!!
I for one do not like to be Dictated to,this is a democracy or is it? For some reason all of us AMA Members Have gotten railroaded on this perticullar Isue, with out any representation!!!!
I will continue hand recovery of my aircraft if I so choose to do so, might not be covered by the AMA insurance but my homeowners policy will, if god forbid I hurt my self in some way!!!
Old 12-02-2002, 07:35 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

This issue has been discussed endlessly in several threads.

Hope your covered if someone else gets hurt!
Old 12-02-2002, 08:21 PM
GrnBrt

Well I guess they did it because it's just plain unsafe to walk up to a hovering plane and grab it, and they are trying to stop a bad accident before it happens! It may look way cool to do it but face facts, these planes can glitch at any time, not to mention the pilot goofing for a split second and then you have an out of control plane with a very big spinning steak knife up front looking for something to hack to pieces. If the TOC guys don't like it, well that's just to bad, and if you want to continue to do it then do it at your own risk.
Old 12-02-2002, 09:35 PM
jerrysu29

Well GrnBrt I disagree with you .We have been doing this maneuver for the past five years and as of yet I have not heard of anyone getting hurt doing so,or read of anyone having an incident and if there had been in the past we as AMA members would have heard about it. I believe there are more problems and accidents that happen at start up and in the pits with our aircraft cutting people up and taking fingers off etc, and I Challenge you to prove me wrong!!!
Old 12-02-2002, 09:41 PM
C_Watkins
My Feedback: (10)

Default Re: New AMA 2003 Safety Code (rule#9)

Originally posted by jerrysu31
I would like to know who made this decision in the first place because I for one can't remember anyone asking US members about voting or anything else pertaining to this isue at all !!!
Who ever said the AMA was a total democracy?
They've decided the risk is there... or the insurance company decided it FOR them.
NO vote is required, much like your homeowner's insurance company doesn't
consult with you before making rate increases or policy changes either.
They may "inform" you, but they certainly don't need your permission

Like yourself, I'll do as I please. So far, that doesn't run amuck of any of the guidelines.
Whenever it does, that will be my cue to drop the AMA coverage, I suppose...
or at least limit my actions to those times when I'm not at an AMA sanctioned event/field.
Old 12-02-2002, 10:48 PM
jerrysu29

C_Watkins I agree with what you are saying. Out here in SD we have an unlimited choice of places where we can fly and if this is how the AMA wants to dictate to there members it's time to do most of the flying that I enjoy most some where other than one of our AMA sanctioned sites. I'm saddened by the way they have handled this matter though.Basically I see it as just another way to get out from under any ins. claim regarding this matter. Instead of taking a stand for their membership they took the easy way out!!!
Old 12-02-2002, 11:39 PM
GrnBrt

Well GrnBrt I disagree with you .We have been doing this maneuver for the past five years and as of yet I have not heard of anyone getting hurt doing so,or read of anyone having an incident and if there had been in the past we as AMA members would have heard about it. I believe there are more problems and accidents that happen at start up and in the pits with our aircraft cutting people up and taking fingers off etc, and I Challenge you to prove me wrong!!!
I don't see where I have to prove anything, commen sense will do that. How many fliers out there are capable of doing this manuever versus the total number of fliers out there??? It comes down to time, it will happen and when one tangles with the props on a 40% plane you can bet it will be a mess. It really doesn't take a whole lot of vision to see that this kind of a stunt is an accident just looking for a place to happen. You can disagree with me as that's fine, but I have made it to the age that I am by not tempting fate if at all possible, and messing with a plane that's hovering is in my opinion tempting the Gods of fate!!!!
Old 12-03-2002, 01:02 AM
Bill Vargas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hovering

It looks like a cool stunt,,, but the Risk Management is way OUT There above the Red Zone.

I feel sorry for the family member that has to go to the Coroners office,,, after the fact.

Just fly the plane like it was intended for and be safe

BV
Old 12-03-2002, 01:13 AM
Live Wire

Watch who screams the loadest when some one gets nailed
Old 12-03-2002, 01:14 AM
jerrysu29

Hey GrnBrt you are right about common sense probably telling you through your abillity this is dangers, but don't judge me, or others by your abillities!!! and by the way I did not say anything about 40% planes most all 3d hovering practice is done with the small profile aircraft up to 80" and as far as it goes I've seen more pilots tempting the gods of fate just landing there aircraft. then I have with pilots that know what they are doing, as an AMA Safety Officer I have had more problems with people that have been flying for years and think they know it all and never do a preflight or have ever heard of doing so. and have gotten mad at me for not letting them fly until I do a preflight on their plane. this is my opinion and you have your's
Old 12-03-2002, 01:15 AM
Flyfalcons

.Basically I see it as just another way to get out from under any ins. claim regarding this matter. Instead of taking a stand for their membership they took the easy way out!!!
Versus the hard way of having to explain to the public/families/insurance company why they endorsed a stunt that ended up getting someone killed.
Old 12-03-2002, 01:28 AM
Live Wire

Jerry
Ability to fly and how long you have flown does make a difference. Glitches ,Batteries !!!!!!!!!!!!! Switches closing prematurely by vibration and distractions of all kinds can lead to problems
Old 12-03-2002, 01:53 AM
jerrysu29

RC OUTLAW this is exactly my point all these factors and many more can happen, and it has nothing to do with, where the pilot is or how close the people are to the aircraft, or where the flight line is or what attitude the plane or helicopter is in. Accidents can and will happen, such as the person that was killed at a pylon race while what AMA thought was safe sitting in a cage under one of the pylons got hit by an out of control 1/4 scale racer. What should't happen WILL!!! The next Thing I see happening is that will be able to take Our aircraft to the field and just look at them because their to dangerous to start and fly!!!!!!! IMO
Old 12-03-2002, 02:33 AM
Roby

Well ,it was bound to happen ,someone must have
caught me in the act. Sorry guys.

If I read the above rule as it written here , does this mean
that I can no longer catch my park flier ?

I understand what the intent is, I just hope it's stated in
better fashion.

Regards
Roby
Old 12-03-2002, 03:02 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Catching Park Flier

Originally posted by Roby
Well ,it was bound to happen ,someone must have
caught me in the act. Sorry guys.

If I read the above rule as it written here , does this mean
that I can no longer catch my park flier ?

I understand what the intent is, I just hope it's stated in
better fashion.

Regards
Roby

If you are flying an electric, and you can shut it off or batt goes down, then it is no longer powered as I see it. The rule states "powered", so if you can shut it off, then you are in compliance, or that is what my legal beagle would argue.

Don't wait for AMA to state "in better fashion". Like "I will not consume alcoholic beverages prior to ..... model operations."
What a crock! If you ever had a cold Brewsky, then my man you better head for eBay with the model planes. Even DA FAA has adequate brilliance to place a time frame in the alky bottle to throttle ratio.
Old 12-03-2002, 03:04 AM
dennis1943
My Feedback: (12)

Default dumb

i would like to see someone that can hold a tx and fly the airplane and hand recovera 49% airplane in a hover condition, i know if somebody walks out there and does it for him he is just plane dumb, i think tha for once in there life timethe AMA has a good point, it is nice to know that the ama is capable of doing something right.

dennis1943
Old 12-03-2002, 04:45 AM
jerrysu29

Default Re: Hovering

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bill Vargas
[B]It looks like a cool stunt,,, but the Risk Management is way OUT There above the Red Zone.

I feel sorry for the family member that has to go to the Coroners office,,, after the fact.

Just fly the plane like it was intended for and be safe

this is just what we are doing. Flying these planes for what they are intended for, and have been and will continue to be safe at what we are doing!!!!
Old 12-03-2002, 05:46 AM
jerrysu29

This is the type of flying I enjoy, and nobody and I mean nobody is going to stop me from doing so!!!! AMA flying sites aren't the only places to fly. There is a group of fliers hear in SD that have many request for this type of 3D hovering demo's and as the Head of the group I will tell you this We can do these demo's and don't need any permission to do so by the AMA nor do we need anything from the AMA to do a model aircraft flying demo or airshow the only thing needed is the written invitation from the group requesting the demo. I have looked into this legaly and the people putting on said demo do not need AMA or belong to AMA to do so, put that in your pipe and smoke it
Old 12-03-2002, 05:53 AM
GrnBrt

Hey GrnBrt you are right about common sense probably telling you through your abillity this is dangers, but don't judge me, or others by your abillities!!! and by the way I did not say anything about 40% planes most all 3d hovering practice is done with the small profile aircraft up to 80" and as far as it goes I've seen more pilots tempting the gods of fate just landing there aircraft. then I have with pilots that know what they are doing, as an AMA Safety Officer I have had more problems with people that have been flying for years and think they know it all and never do a preflight or have ever heard of doing so. and have gotten mad at me for not letting them fly until I do a preflight on their plane. this is my opinion and you have your's
Well first off I don't know where you get that I am judging others, including you by what I said. I know my abilities and even if I could hover a plane and go out and touch it, I wouldn't for the simple fact it is dangerous. Our hobby has enough inherit dangers without adding one like this to it. I very seldom agree with what the AMA does but in this case I applaud them for stoppig an act that I feel is pure lunacy. I don't care if you are flying a 40%er or a .40 size funfly, that prop will rip the bejeebers out of you!!! Is it worth risking that just so one can here the others Oh and Ah's when it's being done??? I sure don't think so. Yes we have fliers out there that a menace when they just fly, so what would you do about them??? I know that when I am flying we know who these people are and we keep a very sharp eye on them when they are flying, and like you I have been a safety officer at our club and will do the same thing that you do, they don't like it?? Well tough, they will follow the safety rules. Yes I have my opinion and you have yours, and my opinion of touching a plane in flight, or hovering is sheer stupidity!!!
Old 12-03-2002, 10:09 AM
dennis1943
My Feedback: (12)

Default ????????????

AS USUAL art you are my hero i would put this junk in the catagory of reckless endangerment, i guess that it even goes past the point of dumb even STUPID, to go out and grab a plane in flight i think they(both pilot and other person) might need a analyst. way to go Art semper fi.

dennis
Old 12-03-2002, 05:27 PM
P-51B

RC OUTLAW this is exactly my point all these factors and many more can happen, and it has nothing to do with, where the pilot is or how close the people are to the aircraft, or where the flight line is or what attitude the plane or helicopter is in. Accidents can and will happen, such as the person that was killed at a pylon race while what AMA thought was safe sitting in a cage under one of the pylons got hit by an out of control 1/4 scale racer. What should't happen WILL!!! The next Thing I see happening is that will be able to take Our aircraft to the field and just look at them because their to dangerous to start and fly!!!!!!! IMO
First you say you are an AMA safety officer, then you go on to say what shouldn't happen will. The point is, that while there are always risks in life, it is not always smart to add to those risks.

In order for an aircraft to fly, the engine must be started, but one doesn't have to walk out and grab it. Maybe this is why you have seen more accidents in the pits...YA THINK??????

If you can't comprehend that grabbing a hovering airplane in flight is an insurance claim waiting to happen, then you should probably relieve yourself of the duties of safety officer.
Old 12-03-2002, 07:30 PM
lucas-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default AMA

This is just a no brainer. Yell all you want, jump up and down,
Bang your rudder ground, Just don,t touch it.
Its not that it has not happen, its when it does happen.
Old 12-03-2002, 08:08 PM
ghost_rider
My Feedback: (20)

Default Re: AMA

Originally posted by lucas
This is just a no brainer. Yell all you want, jump up and down,
Bang your rudder ground, Just don,t touch it.
Its not that it has not happen, its when it does happen.
I agree with you. I'm glad that AMA finally woke up and put a stop on this insanity.

Ben

AMA 9119
Old 12-03-2002, 11:09 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Boy, never figured I would say it, but I have to agree with the rule. Although I don't think we need more rules, and there are people out there that will do it anyway, I would hate to see someone do it and have it fall back in their face because they are not experienced enough to do it. I do agree that AMA shouldn't tell us how to fly, but its not a safe maneuver. I hover, and have seen people launch into a hover, but not catch one from a hover. Seems kind of crazy. I know some will not follow the rules and do it, sure hope they are as good as they think they are.
Old 12-04-2002, 12:25 AM
lucas-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default Good Rule

I watched a TOC Pilot, who has placed as high as 8th, put in 2 40% planes both while hovering, in the same day.
Experience has its place, a glitch, Battery failure, strip servo,
made a mistake, can all lead to a crash. If you touch the plane,
does that do anything for the sport? or does it just inflate egos?
If someone got hurt bye doing this, that pilot would be very humbled. And Im sure he would be calling his insurance company,
to help cover his mistake, then when the insurance company says no we will not pay for and act such as this. The Attorneys will start there own action, so on & so on.
AS a paying member of AMA, my hats off to this new rule,
I love flying 3d as well. We don,t need to play catch.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.