Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA FLYING Sites

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA FLYING Sites

Old 12-04-2002, 01:58 PM
lucas-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMA FLYING Sites

In the last 3 years i a joined 2 different clubs, to get away from all the 3rd grade fighting with each other.
The 1 club has lost its site due to a bad neighbor, and is in the process, improving there new found sight.
2nd Club members were trying to improve the grounds, a power struggle took place, new feild has come about.
After reading the threads on some of the fourms its sounds just like the old club meetings.
It seems that alot of the clubs have the same problems, with all the different personalities clashing. It is almost like the clubs get cancer with all the negitive comments, they just fall apart.
My question is: How do the clubs keep things positive, and Fun?
Or is this 3rd grade fighting what everyone experence.
Old 12-05-2002, 08:41 AM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Default Too many cooks in the kitchen

I know some will strongly disagree with me, but that is their problem.

First - All business should be taken care of exclusively by the club officers and board of directors (or EC or what ever you want to call it.) While this won't eliminate problems, it will greatly lessen them as John Q Member really doesn't have a direct say in the business of the club so there is no point in fighting. John Q Member sill has a voice... he votes for the officers, etc and he can even run for office. I know some large 200+ member clubs that run this way and they operate smoothly. My club is not run this way (but I wish it did.) With 150+ members, our monthly business meetings turn into a disaster since the club at large has to vote on everything. Members that don't really understand make silly and sometimes unworkable motions. The worse part is that some of these impossible motions pass.

Second - A clearly defined long term plan of field improvements, where the money will come from, etc needs to be developed and the club needs to stick to it and not change it every month. This way all club members know what improvements are planned, when they are expected, and where the money is coming from.
Old 12-05-2002, 10:27 PM
Mluvara
My Feedback: (10)

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default AMA FLYING Sites

Like monkeyboy said, removing the politics is one of the solutions and probably the best, or only solution.

Our club is is different than the other 99% out there. Call it the exception to the rule, but the club isn't controlled directly by the membership and it's probably the way that things should be at many other clubs. The club has a board of directors that oversees the operations of the field. These appointed individuals are there to keep politics out of flying and ensure that the flying site is open and accessible, while continuing development and sustaining the flying site. Member input is taken highly through feedback and annual surveys and these guide the direction of the club. With 412 members, things run very smoothly with this setup. When the club was founded in 1986, the idea was to take the politics and nonsense out of the clubs and provide an enjoyable R/C experience. Flying should be fun.

Meetings are bi-monthly and the only club business done is a few brief reports on safety, news, treasury, etc. The rest is devoted to presentations, show and tell, raffle, etc. Business is kept to about 12-20 min out of the 2 hour meetings.

Often when the officers change every year or two in the democratic clubs, the club sadly changes direction. If the club sets long term goals and a vision, they can help get to where they want. Take the people's input, look at what the majority wants and you will be keeping everyone happy.

Michael Luvara
SCCMAS
www.sccmas.org
Old 12-07-2002, 04:43 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Default AMA FLYING Sites

I belong to two clubs myself.

One of them is run like a company. There are ten owners. The rest of us just pay our dues once a year and fly. No chores and no work days. The owners take care of everything. If something is wrong, I just call one up and they take care of it. I have no idea if they get along with one another or not, but I think that they do. My job is to fly! I love it!
Old 12-07-2002, 01:46 PM
lucas-RCU

Default AMA Flying sites

Kingwoodbarney
I like that Idea. Can you give anymore details, how long has it been like this what are the due, how many members?
Anyfunflys, events?
Thanks
Old 12-08-2002, 12:16 AM
TexasAirBoss

Default AMA FLYING Sites

I really don't know that much. I don't need to.

I believe that the club is about 10 years old. The ten guys found a farm lease. Essentially, they lease the land. The runway and pit area and parking are only a few acres. The rest is sub-leased to a farmer. He is cool and we only fly over our land.

I'm not sure about the membership count. 40, maybe. But I never see more than a handful at a time.

Dues are $100 per year and I beleive an extra $25 for the first year.

Like I said, I have no idea if the "ten" argue about stuff or are all of one mind. As a member I hear "NO" politics at all!

It is great. The "owners" are all cool guys and I enjoy flying with all of them. I don't even know exactly who the ten are or for that matter if there are still ten.

I think that the fact that ten guys where motivated enough to find this lease and fix it up and run it tells you that they are a pretty special bunch of fellows. They are'nt bossy or act like it is thier feild or anything like that. I feel very welcome and I feel as though they want me to have a good time.

They do have events from time to time. Around Houston, air racing is very big. They sort of have a circuit. The clubs involved take turns hosting the races. Sometimes we cook out. They also have fun flys sometimes.
Old 12-08-2002, 01:55 AM
RSprinkel
My Feedback: (3)

Default AMA FLYING Sites

Hi,

I need to ask a question pertaining to the Politics and voting of club members.

Do ALL AMA Chartered clubs have to vote for the appointment of Club Officers or can they just have the officers that will remain officers until they are ready to step down for whatever reason and then vote for a new appointee?

I am in the process of starting a club and would like it to be an AMA Charter club but without all the headaches of the voting stuff and the politics that go with it.

Thanks for your reply.
Old 12-08-2002, 02:32 AM
Mluvara
My Feedback: (10)

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default AMA FLYING Sites

I don't believe it matters to the AMA... Check out their charter application. They are asking for bylaws now of the clubs. They only need to know who serves what function and I don't think it matters whether the board is voted in or not, or even how long they stay.

http://modelaircraft.org/templates/a...002clubkit.pdf

Michael
Old 12-08-2002, 02:00 PM
ctdahle

Default AMA FLYING Sites

The AMA has "sample" bylaws that you can copy to your word processing program and then just search and replace your own club's information.

But you can write your own too if you want.

I think something like:

1)This club is a benevolent dictatorship.
2)The president shall rule by decree with or without the advise and consent of the members.
3)A decree of the president shall be law and failure to abide by such shall be grounds for the immediate expulsion of any disagreeing member.
4)The president may serve as such for life or until such time as he or she voluntarily steps down, except: The president may be replaced by bloodless coup wherein 100% of the then dues paying members vote to expell the president from office.
5)In the event of the vacancy of the office of president, a new president shall be selected by the drawing of lots among those members of the club present at a regular club meeting.
Old 12-08-2002, 03:03 PM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

Default AMA FLYING Sites

Hi Michael,
You're right. The best "club" I ever belonged to, and it was an AMA club, didn't have any officers, meetings, politics, committee's, grass cutting, field maintenance, etc. AMA didn't' care as long as the charter fee was sent in every year. We paid the fellow who leased the property and he did all the above, all we did was fly! And we had two picnic's every year for the families.
It was great!
Jon
Old 12-08-2002, 03:29 PM
J_R

Default club by-laws

The AMA has stated several times that it is not interested in telling a club how it has to organize. There are a couple of specific legal issues that must be addressed in a clubs by-laws. The main one is the way that disciplining and/or expulsion of a club member takes place. A law suit where a club ignored their own by-laws and violated due process is at the root of the new requirement for by-laws. As with most of the rules AMA makes, this one is driven by legal actions that have been taken.

At the direction of Carl Maroney, in an effort to help clubs with the new by-law requirement, a number of documents where prepared to help clubs to comply. Those documents are guidelines and appear in the list of documents on the AMA web site. The are within the 500 series of documents.

Document number 560 addresses the club that wants to run it's business with a board of directors that is vested with the power to run the club. All of these documents are set up as templates, so that the work of the club is minimized when it comes to making their new by-laws. Your club need not use any of them. They are there to ease the burden.

Once the club's by-laws are received by the AMA, they will be reviewed by a legal staff. If there are problems, additional time will be given to the club to bring it's by-laws into compliance.

Any club that is having problems or questions should call or write Carl Maroney at AMA HQ.
Old 12-08-2002, 03:31 PM
lucas-RCU

Default Flying sites

I think this is a very good way for a club to run. All that is left is fly and have Fun.
It seems to me all clubs start out OK, but after 5 or 6 years,
there seems a cancer sets in, I would love to start and take my 8 and 11 year old boys, to club meeting so they can learn what it takes to run a site, but have not found one whare I would consider, exposing them to such nonsense.
Old 12-09-2002, 06:49 PM
Live Wire

Default AMA FLYING Sites

Big name and Big money rules most clubs.money can buy any thing it will give you the wright to power and tell the other fliers what they can do and can't do . They control the polatics and officers!
Old 12-09-2002, 08:19 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AMA FLYING Sites

Originally posted by RC Outlaw
Big name and Big money rules most clubs.money can buy any thing it will give you the wright to power and tell the other fliers what they can do and can't do . They control the polatics and officers!
Horse feathers!!!!!!

The only $ involved is that I elect to spend out of MY modeling budget to support what I choose to be club actions. That means that if I think there is something the club should be doing (Charity Fly-In), I had better break out the wallet and support the event. Rarely am I able to get anything done just because I have a quarter more than Frank Flightpack. In fact, many in my club have more than I.

All it takes to have a good set of club officers is a little attention to details. All it takes to maintain a good working club and its interpersonal relationships is a little caring on the part of the membership. The "takers" have always been that way and bring that destructive approach with them to the hobby and the club.

Too many think that electing Frank Flightpack to some official club position is really enslaving Frank. Proof of that can be found in the incoming phone call records of most club officers. The officer corps gets told to enforce the rules, get the field mowed, fix this or repair that. Rarely does the "taker" bother to help or care about others in the club.

Sorry, but I am sure you are wrong and in my opinion you are not full of it but probably about a quart low today.

Here is a short list of some of the things it takes to make a good club officer.

Try caring enough to make a place for friends to fly.

Try being concerned enough that the efforts of others to acquire a flying field are not thrown away by the reckless actions of some Prima Donna's who think the world turns around on them. You know, the idiots that insist the rules are for you and I but not them. The one who go out to the runway and act like they own it and violate every safety rule in the book (club AND AMA).

Try caring enough to accost the student and ask why his plane is still in the car.

Try worrying enough that you care about the condition of the facility. I can land on the runway, so I have no personal need to see the grass mowed. But I help see that it gets done.

Be willing to give up some family time to organize, run, and manage various club affairs. Sometimes that also means giving up scarce flying time.

Those are typical issues dealt with by club officers.

I am one and have been for a long time. It is work, but my friends like the job I do.

My money is none of your darned business and my name is what *I* have made of it. It is not a big name, but at least it is real.
Old 12-10-2002, 12:22 AM
dennis1943
My Feedback: (12)

Default Re: AMA FLYING Sites

Originally posted by lucas
In the last 3 years i a joined 2 different clubs, to get away from all the 3rd grade fighting with each other.
The 1 club has lost its site due to a bad neighbor, and is in the process, improving there new found sight.
2nd Club members were trying to improve the grounds, a power struggle took place, new feild has come about.
After reading the threads on some of the fourms its sounds just like the old club meetings.
It seems that alot of the clubs have the same problems, with all the different personalities clashing. It is almost like the clubs get cancer with all the negitive comments, they just fall apart.
My question is: How do the clubs keep things positive, and Fun?
Or is this 3rd grade fighting what everyone experence.
hello i have just sent a email to lucas to come fly with the best club in s.c. it is open to everyone,

dennis1943
Old 12-10-2002, 03:07 AM
lucas-RCU

Default Ama Flying

Dennis sent you E-Mail I will take you up on your Offer will be down Jan thru April.
Thank you
Old 12-11-2002, 03:45 AM
Hossfly

Default AMA FLYING Sites

JR says:
>>>>>>>>>>
The AMA has stated several times that it is not interested in telling a club how it has to organize.

SNIP??.

Once the club's by-laws are received by the AMA, they will be reviewed by a legal staff. If there are problems, additional time will be given to the club to bring it's by-laws into compliance.
Old 12-11-2002, 07:12 AM
J_R

Default AMA FLYING Sites

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hossfly

That is the AMA all right!

Like in everything, I may NOT get my way, but IMO, having an opportunity to express my position before the group is definitely a PLUS.

Gee Horrace, I didn't know you felt so strongly about the freedom of speech the AMA allows.

JR

(That takin stuff outta context and puttin it up works neat Horrace)
Old 12-11-2002, 08:13 PM
TexasAirBoss

Default AMA FLYING Sites

The intent of my previous post was not to compare the two clubs, but to offer an alternative to the traditional club organization.
However, I believe the innate character of the two organizations has been reveled in a serendipitous manner via the comments presented.
Old 12-11-2002, 09:34 PM
lucas-RCU

Default AMA flying sites

Kingwoodbarney
Thanks again for answering. Again in my oringinal post.
I stated in the last 3 years Ive joined 2 different clubs, because of all the fighting at the club meeting. There was nothing wrong with the flying sites or the rules set forth.
I have 8 and 11 year old boys that I would not subject them to the meeting. Now for the most part the people voted in on the boards are all standup guys. In both of the clubs there was a handfull of complainers, that there sole mission in those clubs was to complain about everything. Ive been in compition events my whole life, and know, that no club runs smooth.
But thought I would asked the kind people on rcu there advise.
and to see if there are betterways of operation.
Old 12-11-2002, 10:12 PM
dennis1943
My Feedback: (12)

Default conversation

when you get down here next month call me sounds like a good thing to talk over between friends,

843-753-3599

dennis1943
Old 12-11-2002, 10:26 PM
lucas-RCU

Default AMA FLYING Sites

Dennis
Im Looking forward to it.
Old 12-22-2002, 08:34 PM
gigapower

Default AMA FLYING Sites

as someone who is looking into joining a club(and the AMA) and leaving the park flying scene, this thread really has me worried. I have already checked out two of the four clubs in my area and they are both or the bigger type, hard top runways, taxiways, and parking area. But what I noticed while I was there was no one wanted to take the time to talk to me. After leaving both of those clubs I thought maybe I'll just stick with the park, but the parks here that are flying friendly are getting fewer and fewer. I plan to check out two of the smaller clubs in hopes that they will be more to my liking.
Old 12-22-2002, 09:08 PM
Hossfly

Default AMA FLYING Sites

>>>>>>>
But what I noticed while I was there was no one wanted to take the time to talk to me. After leaving both of those clubs I thought maybe I'll just stick with the park, but the parks here that are flying friendly are getting fewer and fewer. I plan to check out two of the smaller clubs in hopes that they will be more to my liking.
Old 12-22-2002, 09:20 PM
lucas-RCU

Default AMA FLYING Sites

Gigapower
Don,t give up, I found a new club, covered under AMA.
The things I found are the clicks, one click fights with the other,
I just joined a new club, there main rule, if they have a trouble maker, the club votes wheather they stay or not.
There main purpose is to have fun, and expand the sport.
I think the other clubs mean well, to many rules, for what they got going. Its not just RC clubs, any club you join is as good as the people in it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.