Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

To many old people running the show.

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

To many old people running the show.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 07:50 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: To many old people running the show.

Ken, You and Mr. D'Arpino have been very quiet for the last couple of days. I would like to see you and Christopher in here enough to make me believe that this entire thread was not an elaborate troll on your part.

In fact, only Christopher has been the one that posted any of his ideas. What's up with that???

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 04-20-2006, 08:46 PM
DrDeath
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys,

I think that this whole argument is really about new and fresh ideas and having the AMA is able to change with the times. I do not believe it is really about “old guys†vs. “new guys†vs. “young guysâ€. There are many “old guys†that are not stuck in their ways and are open to new ideas. In turn, there are “new guys†or “young guys†that are just as stubborn and set in their ways as some of the so called “old fartsâ€. We have guys that are in my club that are older than me, but are open to new ways of doing things. I myself am 43 and fall kind of in the middle at my club age wise. I am a CD and do many different things at my club. But, I have a full time job that requires me to be on call basically 24x7, married with a kid and other obligations, so being DVP or running for anything else is definitely out of the question. The sad truth is that all of the gentlemen that are on the EC are mostly retired and have lots of time on their hands to hang out in Muncie making decisions, both good and bad. Right now, I have two projects on the workbench and would like to get out and fly! As someone said, being a CD may only take you a couple of hours to work on the test, but having to work on two events is a lot of work. I am lucky that I have members of my club that want to help out, but there is still a lot of work. It would be nice to have “New Blood†in the AMA, but most of us “New Blood types†don’t have the extra time to devote to the AMA outside of the things we do for our club.

We as members of the AMA need to have an open mind. In addition, we need to remember (at least at my field) these old guys pay dues and a lot of them do not fly! This in turn keeps the economy of the club and the AMA going.

Just my $.02

DD
Old 04-20-2006, 09:21 PM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DrDeath a good part of the argument seems to be that the ideas are not really new. They seem new to those proposing them but the "old guy" seems to take a contrary position. Could it be that the ideas have been around in some form or fashion and did not work way back when?
There comes a time for all of us when we will not fly anymore but that in and of itself doesn't mean that holding office is all that is left.
Check my gallery and see what one old guy is flying.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:41 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: F106A

"it just says you won't be able to get coverage if something happens while you are performing."
It also means that the property owner will not be covered, and that's the stick that's used to ensure compliance.
Jon

I dont think the statement about the property owner is correct as I understand it they are
covered under a separate policy than the flyer as the property owner has no direct
control over how everyone may operate there plane.

There would be no reason to deny a claim by the property if he were to sued for
somthing that a flyer did that he had no knowledge or control over.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:50 PM
DrDeath
My Feedback: (3)

To get off topic, I love the Bearcat! Is that an enlarged Zirolli or something else. The Pantera looks pretty fast, man, I like your toys!!!!!

Back on topic. I agree with you Gremlin on the fact that most of the ideas are re-hash of other ideas. I think the key is in the execution. Same idea, but a new way to execute the same idea or a different spin on an old idea.

I think the fact is that most of the existing EC doesn't understand that their mind is like parachute and only works when it is open.

DD
Old 04-20-2006, 10:12 PM
SSRCCPREZ

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Ken, You and Mr. D'Arpino have been very quiet for the last couple of days. I would like to see you and Christopher in here enough to make me believe that this entire thread was not an elaborate troll on your part.

In fact, only Christopher has been the one that posted any of his ideas. What's up with that???

Bill, AMA 4720
Stick I assure you I am no troll, I have slowed in my responses because I see that this thread has somewhat run it's course and the
comments as of late are somewhat regurgitated and not following along witht he origonal thread. Not to say they are not valid or consistant, but it just seems we have moved passed the point of the beginning. I appreciate you acknowledging that I was the only one bringing forth my ideas. I am sorry I have slowed in my chiming in, I just feel that there is nothing more to offer at this point.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:39 AM
Ion01

ORIGINAL: DrDeath

To get off topic, I love the Bearcat! Is that an enlarged Zirolli or something else. The Pantera looks pretty fast, man, I like your toys!!!!!

Back on topic. I agree with you Gremlin on the fact that most of the ideas are re-hash of other ideas. I think the key is in the execution. Same idea, but a new way to execute the same idea or a different spin on an old idea.

I think the fact is that most of the existing EC doesn't understand that their mind is like parachute and only works when it is open.

DD
A good example of this is when I designed a two stage compressor for my company using our current single stage package. Some refused to look at my design saying "we've already tried it, it doesn't work." However, the ones that looked at my design found that, yes it was a rehash of an old idea, but it had a few differences and it ultimately worked. My ignorance of the previous design gave me an open mind to approach the project from a different angle and therefore execute the concept a bit differantly, and had their not been ones in authority that gave me a chance the design would have been lost.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:17 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see that this thread has somewhat run it's course
Excellent point and as such the thread is now locked
Old 04-21-2006, 06:41 PM
Ken Bryant
My Feedback: (10)

Thanks to all those that popsted here. Bubbagates reopened the thread for me just so I could say thanks. In reply to Stickbuilder, I did not abandon the thread. I had to go away on military business for a couple days and when I came back this is what I found. I do agree that I believe this thread has run it's course and is now complete. Other ideas that where started here merit their own threads and should continue. This has been very enlightening for me and I hope others as well. Maybe next time I can choose my words more cautiously.