Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are people just friendlier in the Midwest?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are people just friendlier in the Midwest?

Old 06-02-2006, 11:11 AM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Are people just friendlier in the Midwest?

I am always reading these post about some old guy who ran someone off, or some young kid who said or did something that made the whole Club mad. Someone who hated me shot my Plane down, or I don't get along with the people at the Club. I read all these complaints about how fellow flyers just can't get along, and somebody done someone else wrong. AMA is the root of all evil, and dictates every policy at our field, and those who belong to AMA are arrogant pigs.

Why don't I see these problems or issues happening in my area? I have yet to meet a fellow flyer in my area that I didn't like. Are Midwestern people just friendlier and easier to get along with, or are there other parts of the country as well that don't see all these attitudes that are always popping up here on RCU? You won't hear much discussion at our field in regards to AMA, but we are all AMA Members. We just ask that all flyers follow the rules that are set by the AMA, and that is that. Everyone at our club can read rules, so we don't go around preaching them!

It just seems like there is a different attitude towards things, and peoples attitudes are a bit different then what they should be according to all the stereotypes that are placed upon certain people here in the AMA Forum. For example, our old people that I know are friendly and helpfull, and our young people that I have been around are polite and friendly as well. Very little bickering goes on, and everyone is always glad to lend a hand to a fellow flyer. We enjoy Club functions and spend more time talking then we do flying most of the time. Where are all these terrible people living at?
Old 06-02-2006, 11:32 AM
coolbean

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Are people just friendlier in the Midwest?

I think the difference is that in the midwest (I am with ya!) the clubs are smaller and there are more places available to fly. And there isn't as big an income differece between the members.
So that gets rid of two big problems, overcrowding and elitism.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:36 AM
SSRCCPREZ

I can only speak for the Northeast a.k.a. the civil war winners!!!!
We tend to be much higher strung, move faster and are more impatient than say Arizona, california North Carolina Virginia(places I have been). We also tend to try to get 10lbs of poop into a 5lb bag. We tolerate little crap from anyone. This is generally speaking. However we also are caring kind and friendly, you just got to get to know us first. I have found people very willing to help but upset if they feel snubbed or appreciated.

So Yes I think that the midwestern Hayseeders are friendlier, slower paced and more easy going. I mean cmon roadrage is taught in our driving schools...yours?
Old 06-02-2006, 11:38 AM
ckangaroo70

ORIGINAL: coolbean

I think the difference is that in the midwest (I am with ya!) the clubs are smaller and there are more places available to fly. And there isn't as big an income differece between the members.
So that gets rid of two big problems, overcrowding and elitism.
That does make very good sense. Thanks for your input!
Old 06-02-2006, 11:39 AM
ckangaroo70

ORIGINAL: SSRCCPREZ

I mean cmon roadrage is taught in our driving schools...yours?
LOL
Old 06-02-2006, 11:50 AM
coolbean

As is how to deal with it or how to cause it?
Old 06-02-2006, 11:53 AM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

Wow. It had never crossed my mind that being ill-mannered and rude was considered a virtue.

And, BTW, it was the war between the states.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:58 AM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: coolbean

As is how to deal with it or how to cause it?
LOL!
I can only speak for the Northeast a.k.a. the civil war winners!!!!
We tend to be much higher strung, move faster and are more impatient than say Arizona, california North Carolina Virginia(places I have been). We also tend to try to get 10lbs of poop into a 5lb bag. We tolerate little crap from anyone. This is generally speaking. However we also are caring kind and friendly, you just got to get to know us first. I have found people very willing to help but upset if they feel snubbed or appreciated.

So Yes I think that the midwestern Hayseeders are friendlier, slower paced and more easy going.
how come most of the Union Army is still in the south??

Anyways, I agree with what you wrote about the south, however I can't speak on the north except that I know of a club that has members that intentionally shoot other folks down.(near NYC) I was told of this by a native. I'm sure there are similar examples in the south though, but I haven't heard of them.

50%
Old 06-02-2006, 12:09 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

midwesterner here.....

never a problem at mine or any other club.........

Why can't we all just get along?
Old 06-02-2006, 12:13 PM
ckangaroo70

One reason I posted this was I have been wondering if there are specific areas in the country that poison the well for the rest of the country. I read so many post that are down on the AMA and its members, and it makes me wonder if there are certain areas that make us all look bad? I honestly don't see alot of the problems in my area that I am always reading about that happened elsewhere. Maybe it does have something to do with over crowding or lack of flying sites in parts of the country. We don't really experience the overcrowding problems, but sometimes it can still be hard to find a flying spot due to the fact that farmers like to plant corn in any spot that is not timber, and sometimes they will even bulldoze the timber to make room for more corn and beans. I am sure some of our larger Midwestern Cities like Chicago ,St. Louis, and Indianapolis probally do experience some problems with expanded housing out into the once rural area. I read statements about people shooting other peoples planes down and such, and it just makes me wonder what kind of person would do such a thing intentionally?
Old 06-02-2006, 12:13 PM
vkernus
My Feedback: (1)

Robotech, It was "The War of Northern Agression" where did you go to school? The people have always been very nice, helpful and friendly in every club I have been to here in VA.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:20 PM
SSRCCPREZ

I thought that was part of the hobby....Shootin down planes.......That just makes it more of a contact sport.
LOL sadly though it does happen it is been my experience that those who choose to be uncivil and basty tend to be short live din most clubs or leave all together. Though every club has their share of problems I hear more stories about issues than I see.
I do wonder what a southerner would thik of us northerners if one visited our field........

We are all the same, we enjoy the same things we all have homes and cars and families jobs opinions etc. It is just the idiotic minority that the spotlight tends to shine on because the rest of us are so surprised at the action. As for poopin on the AMA, everyone is a critic and everyone thinks their idea or way of doing something is better they believe it right up until you ask them to stop complaining and run for an office and actually make a difference...then they seem to start gettin real defensive. It is in some peoples nature to just have a problem with a governing body
Old 06-02-2006, 12:28 PM
ckangaroo70

Read post #35
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_43..._2/key_/tm.htm

I am not saying that one comment from one guy from Tennessee represents the whole state of TN, but his attitude does his friends and neighbors no favor, and makes you wonder about his upbringing to suggest such a thing.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:51 PM
redfox435cat

It isn't an everyday occurrence that people biker and for the most part we all get along very well. The fast paced and slow paced way of living is very defined in our area, Santa Barbara County. We have our own north meets south mentality in our own county. ya got the rich Santa Barbara south and us hick in the north county. In fact in our upcoming poll we have a measure to split up the county in two. Where Santa Barbara County will remain Santa Barbara and the north county would become Mission County. Don't think it will be split but it has become serious enough to be brought to a vote. The same is in the two main clubs in our county. SBRCM have quit a few elitist. Most are fun loving hobbyist who doesn’t care who ya are or how much ya make and are just there to have fun and hang out with friends. The north county club, Tri Valley modelers are mainly fun loving modelers and are much more inviting and a pleasure to fly with. The SBRCM club has a much nicer field.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:52 PM
50%plane

I do wonder what a southerner would thik of us northerners if one visited our field........
I'm a southernor and my club just had a few folks from NY come and visit for a few weeks. There were no problems and we enjoyed their stay. I think the problem is in the people. Many northern folks tend to label us southernows as gun totin dusty pick-up drivin hayseeds who ain't got no larnin. However, this is not the case. Sure there are some southerners that can fit that mold, but most don't. That guy from Tennessee is an example. He's a bad egg.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:35 PM
ptulmer

Down here in coastal GA we have alot of northerners (yankees) that move here in retirement. They come from all over the NE and taken individually are all good people. I've been to Indiana and except for putting sugar on their grits, it was just like home. I think that you'll find the prevailing attitude in a club starts at the top. You want to find out what the club is like, meet the president. If he's a jack***, that's what he'll attract. If he's not, he's not likely to put up with any.

Many northern folks tend to label us southernows as gun totin dusty pick-up drivin hayseeds who ain't got no larnin. However, this is not the case. Sure there are some southerners that can fit that mold, but most don't.
You've ran into that too? My guns are clean and I drive a Mustang GT. Seriously, we may have just agreed on something! There's people north of the mason-dixon line that fit that description and worse. People are pretty much the same everywhere.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:43 PM
ptulmer

double post
Old 06-02-2006, 02:46 PM
50%plane

You've ran into that too? My guns are clean and I drive a Mustang GT. Seriously, we may have just agreed on something! There's people north of the mason-dixon line that fit that description and worse. People are pretty much the same everywhere.
LOL I guess we did.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:25 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Robotech

Wow. It had never crossed my mind that being ill-mannered and rude was considered a virtue.

And, BTW, it was the war between the states.
Actually it is called the war of Northern Aggression.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 06-02-2006, 04:46 PM
Jim Thomerson

It has been said there is a correlation between incidence of carry permits and polite social intercourse.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:00 PM
50%plane

The question is who started the Civil War. The answer is the north.
Who didn't play fair? The answer is the north.
Who won? The answer is the north.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:28 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: 50%plane

The question is who started the Civil War. The answer is the north.
Who didn't play fair? The answer is the north.
Who won? The answer is the north.
Actually, we did. It just took us a little over 140 years, but the last battles are now being won at the Real Estate closing tables.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:07 PM
Live Wire

Where do you guy's consider the mid west or is it from the middle east I live in Colo. and nothing changes in this hobby Just the faces. The attitude stays the same as do the people
Old 06-02-2006, 08:20 PM
ckangaroo70

[ AR | CO | IA | IL | IN | KY | LA | MN | MO | MS | ND | OH | SD | TN | WI | WV ] KS
Old 06-02-2006, 11:00 PM
KidEpoxy

The problem with the War of Northern Agression is the hypocracy of them bluebellies.
They(usa) can split from their oppressive country(England) by armed revolt & its Patriotism....
We(csa) split from our oppressive country(usa) and they call it rebelion, treason, unacceptable
Them boys should make up their minds:
If revolution is unacceptable to form a country, Give NY & Boston back to England!
Seems its just fine for them, but nobody else is allowed.

'A house divided cannot stand'.... Quick, somebody tell N&S Dakota, N&S Carolina, and Virginia & West-ByGod

As for AMA, maybe what we need is the ConfedMA to split the south AMAers off

Guy in Louisiana asked me
"Where you from?"
Lots of places, but mot recently, San Diego,CA
"Oh, a Yankee Boy"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.