Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Legislating against 3D flight

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Legislating against 3D flight

Old 06-09-2006, 11:43 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Legislating against 3D flight

Chris,
"I slightly disagree. I think the number one requirement be that it is an experienced pilot when it comes to 3D. 50' is a little short for me, but it works fine. "

You have implied several times in your posts that it was not necessary to fly on the other side of the runway, so I must have misread your premise, if so I apologize. Just because the AMA has never to your satisfaction recognized 3D does not mean they are against it. Look for instance at the turbine community, they jump thru several hoops just to get to fly, and some AMA fields do not even allow their flight, so in essence there are several groups that do not necessarily fit neatly in the big puzzle. That being said however, you have the same rights as any other AMA member, and it is left up to the local clubs to mandate or legislate according to the majority of its members. I think 3D offers something to the groups that they have not seen in a while and it catches the eye of many who enter the hobby.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:22 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: DocYates

Chris,
"I slightly disagree. I think the number one requirement be that it is an experienced pilot when it comes to 3D. 50' is a little short for me, but it works fine. "

You have implied several times in your posts that it was not necessary to fly on the other side of the runway, so I must have misread your premise, if so I apologize. Just because the AMA has never to your satisfaction recognized 3D does not mean they are against it. Look for instance at the turbine community, they jump thru several hoops just to get to fly, and some AMA fields do not even allow their flight, so in essence there are several groups that do not necessarily fit neatly in the big puzzle. That being said however, you have the same rights as any other AMA member, and it is left up to the local clubs to mandate or legislate according to the majority of its members. I think 3D offers something to the groups that they have not seen in a while and it catches the eye of many who enter the hobby.
I think we are both assuming certain things. I feel that 5-10 feet is too close and that's what I mean by right in front. Y Oumaybe feel that right in front would be 50-100 feet.

I haven't said that the AMA is against 3D.

I feel that the AMA looses much of their appeal when they don't fully exploi the major facets of this addiction. Jets and 3D are two excellent examples. I only used 3D in this thread because I do fly 3D and don't fly jets.

50%
Old 06-09-2006, 01:37 PM
macr0t0r
My Feedback: (2)

@ 50%plane:
I think the reason why we keep drifting to the subject about safety and rules for 3D flying is due to the topic title you gave this thread! You reap what you sow.
In any case, it is a more prevalent subject that probably interests us more.

If you titled it: "AMA recognition of 3D class" then we'd probably stay on topic, but then the thread wouldn't be nearly as busy either! [&:]
Old 06-09-2006, 01:40 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

At our club, no low passes are allowed over the runway when other pilots are flying. The runway is 50 feet wide and we are located 30 feet from the runway. There is no definition of a "low pass".

If I am not allowed to fly any closer than 80 feet from myself, why would anyone else be allowed to fly closer to themselves ?

Your Rules may vary. I Personally think 80 feet is ridiculous, at least as it pertains to low passes. I would be thoroughly outraged if a 3D pilot was allowed to fly closer to himself than the rest of us .
Old 06-10-2006, 09:10 AM
KidEpoxy

One would think AMA would get a whole passle of safety rules regarding 3d by now.

I posted the runway hover question with a reference to the thread not long ago about the guy that Cant Use Pilotstation to takeoff. He was clobbered with posts about standing on the runway being verboten. Many about tieing up the runway, but plenty of safety voiced in there too. So with the ever more so common 3d activity going on, you'd figure there would be more safety regs in place.

While there are events with 3d, do these big turnouts have the guy standing 10' from a 15x3 ACP in rotor mode? Or are regulated back some distance... a distance that should be used by all AMA fields.

The term Recognition of 3d has be used here, but recognition boils down to Regulation..... and regulation boils down to safety rules in the AMA (sure it's not an insurance company)

<edit: some spelling>
Old 06-10-2006, 09:52 AM
50%plane

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

The term Recognition of 3d has be used here, but recognition boils down to Regulation..... and regulation boils down to safety rules in the AMA (sure it's not an insurance company)
You're right KidEpoxy. I guess I was just trying to influence the AMA into modern times. I guess I didn't realize how good I have it.

50%
Old 07-11-2006, 01:27 PM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

You had a valid argument, has there been any 3d pictures on the front of the AMA magazine, I don't remember any for the last 3 years, but I could have forgotten does anyone know,,,
Old 07-12-2006, 07:20 AM
50%plane

You had a valid argument, has there been any 3d pictures on the front of the AMA magazine, I don't remember any for the last 3 years, but I could have forgotten does anyone know,,,
Upon reflecting on what I've learned in this thread, I think that that's a good thing. It not only shows the incompetence of the AMA and it's MA editors, but is shows all modelers and potential modelers how behind the times the AMA really is. They are helping usher in change by their lax job performances.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:44 AM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess the June 06 issue doesn't count as 3D because it's electric.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:47 PM
J-To-Low

I don't see why all of you people complain. I read the magazines and learn new stuff. I read the biased reviews and see pictures....

Maybe you guys can't read. I haven't had a problem with any of the magazines I get. I have never had a problem with the AMA either.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:59 PM
DanSavage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 50%plane

Upon reflecting on what I've learned in this thread, I think that that's a good thing. It not only shows the incompetence of the AMA and it's MA editors, but is shows all modelers and potential modelers how behind the times the AMA really is. They are helping usher in change by their lax job performances.
Or, perhaps 3D isn't as popular now as it once was?

We all know fads come and go all the time. Perhaps 3D is just a fad?
Old 08-15-2006, 09:03 PM
1Eye
My Feedback: (2)

KidEpoxy observed . . .
The term Recognition of 3d has be used here, but recognition boils down to Regulation..... and regulation boils down to safety rules in the AMA
After 4 pages (make that 5 pages now) of rants with views scattered across the universe, KidEpoxy has broken the code! Unfortunately, the 1st time somebody takes a face shot from a 3D plane, there'll be a lot of attention from the AMA. Personally, I think no recognition (of 3D by AMA) is best - be careful of what you ask for . . . []

Mike
Old 08-15-2006, 09:17 PM
KidEpoxy

Watch it MrMike
Agreeing with me on something is not going to score you points with the masses