Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Paid Instructor, Insurance Provider

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Paid Instructor, Insurance Provider

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2002, 04:37 PM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Paid Instructor, Insurance Provider

What Commercial Insurance Co. provides coverage for the "Paid" RC Flight Instructor? (since ama doesn t provide it)

Does anyone know?

BV
Old 12-24-2002, 08:42 PM
J_R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill

The problem is not so much getting insurance. It is having a place to train after you have the insurance. An AMA club's charter would not allow the training because the flyer's would not be covered by AMA insurance. It's a catch 22.

There are quite a number of commercial ventures, but, most are where the instructor has access to a private, non-AMA site. That's not real practical in major metro areas where the demand for paid training is probably highest.

The only practical way is to have the AMA make such insurance available, which they could do, even if it were at additional cost. They could, of course, change the charter and allow non-AMA members to fly at a charter club's site. I won't try and tell you how unlikely that is.

I guess the real question comes down to: If free training is very good and very available, why is there a demand for paid training? If it is something that there is no demand for, the whole thing is a non-issue. It appears that there is such a demand.

At least one RCU member has folks coming from out of the country and has a full plate, right in the middle of a lot of clubs with free training.

JR
Old 12-24-2002, 08:57 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"What Commercial Insurance Co. provides coverage for the "Paid" RC Flight Instructor? (since ama doesn t provide it)

Does anyone know?

BV"

Any commercial ins. co. that provides individual Umbrella Liability ins. should provide such coverage in that policy. Mine covers everything except acts of war, or piloting rider scale aircraft.

Trouble is that one's commercial insurance is not considered at the facility of an AMA Charter Club UNTIL after-the-fact and pay time comes. No matter how much comm. ins. one has, one must also have AMA, but when the deed is done, the commercial pays first. AMA may help with any remainder.

Having personal umbrella coverage is not helping any commercial flight-instructor outside his own personal property. How many of the potential professional flight instructors have their own personal facility?

ON THE OTHER HAND: Perhaps AMA could underwrite a Flt. Instructor policy PROVIDED the Instructor had and maintained in force a personal commercial $500,00.00 umbrella policy. Such policy to be held by AMA as the first lien holder.

Then again the same problem surfaces because the local Club or base of operations would not have knowledge when and if the instructor's commercial ins may have been canceled yesterday. Thus such cancellation could negate AMA insurance, and on any given day the facility owner/manager could be allowing a non-insured operation to be in action.

Individual Commercial Insurance is NOT an answer to any AMA ins. problem.
Old 12-24-2002, 10:08 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by J_R
Bill

SNIP

I guess the real question comes down to: If free training is very good and very available, why is there a demand for paid training? If it is something that there is no demand for, the whole thing is a non-issue. It appears that there is such a demand.

At least one RCU member has folks coming from out of the country and has a full plate, right in the middle of a lot of clubs with free training.

JR
The reason there is a demand for a paid instructor program is that a great many of the checkbook modelers do not wish to put up with the hassles (as you laid out in another thread) that goes with getting the 'free' stuff.

Mistakenly, they want ALL of the instructors attention and think that more is better. That is why they are called 'checkbook modelers'. Most would want to fly, fly, and fly some more until they 'got' the message (picture or whatever you want to call it) without any preparation.

Rarely do they understand that there really must be some 'assimilation' time between each flight so the student and instructor can review and contemplate what was learned. The other things that get looked at between flights should be what is needed to correct the defiances, and what is yet to be looked at. The good (free) instructors I know use that as a model to instruct with.

The above is one of the biggest reasons that there has been little movement in the AMA's stance on insuring the paid instructor.

Note, nothing I have said should be taken as a negative to paid instruction but as an observation taken from afar. I know there are folks who think the AMA is missing the boat, but that is not the issue. No, the issue is business or hobby and that carries over into the flying field being used as well as the coverage available to the participants and property owner.

OBTW, Merry Christmas