Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

New AMA members: Are you satisfied?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

New AMA members: Are you satisfied?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 12:10 AM
teookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New AMA members: Are you satisfied?

I come to this forum maybe twice a year. Every time I am amazed at the people who post 'against' the AMA. But I am more amazed at those who post 'for' the AMA. So anyways, that lets you know where I stand...

A common topic here seams to be that the AMA is not appealing to young people and doing a poor job of recruiting new members. So I would like to invite all new members to share their thoughts. Are you satisfied? Does the membership seem worth it? Do you plan on renewing? A collection of honest replys to these questions will, I believe, give a good indication to what is really going on with the AMA. (With all the finger pointing aside.)

Old 07-07-2006, 12:40 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Default RE: New AMA members: Are you satisfied?

ORIGINAL: teookie

I come to this forum maybe twice a year. Every time I am amazed at the people who post 'against' the AMA. But I am more amazed at those who post 'for' the AMA. So anyways, that lets you know where I stand...

No, that doesn't tell us where you stand. Could you clarify ?
Old 07-07-2006, 01:36 AM
redfox435cat

It's a nice though but the older crowd has the death grip on the organization and the younger crowd has to work for a living so it's just not going to change and I for one truly believe the members thoughts on the organization is irrelevant to the member running the show, the only reason I’m a member is because it’s required by both the clubs I belong to, at the moment they are spending most of their energy on the electric crowd, I’ve given up on electrics and have no intention of re-sparking my interests on it, too expensive and too dangerous for my liking.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:45 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: PilotFighter

No, that doesn't tell us where you stand. Could you clarify ?

It appears that teookie is saying he is "against" the AMA.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:58 AM
KidEpoxy

So I would like to invite all new members to share their thoughts. Are you satisfied? Does the membership seem worth it? Do you plan on renewing? A collection of honest replys to these questions
New Members. Is that less than 2years? Less than 1year?

As a guy with just 1 MA so far:

Worth it?
That is kinda like asking if the minimum legal auto liability insurance is worth it. The choice is whether to be able to drive or save $400yr. It is not a question of the product the insurance company provides, but it is the value of the activiteis dependant on, without actually using, the insurance. I've paid california min liability rates for decades and have been hit twice & had a solo-spinout... the dollars I spent did me no good, but I had to spend them to drive.

I do not see the value in getting a magazine that I haven't wanted.
I do not see the value in Muncie's arctic field & moneypit too far to drive to.

The greatest value I get is when I'm at the LHS and I dont have to listen to the AMA sharks hardselling their insurance on me like religious zealots.

I flew off the street. I flew in parks. I flew at the club for $20 a year- that is worth it..... the send $58fee off to parts unknown is just more leagalese mumbojumbo in the liability world we live in. Forget the E-Ticket, get the Cheapo-Ticket: no mag, no muncie, just $20 for insurance so my local club will let me in.

While the OP asked for New Members opinions, lets just see how many guys with 4 digit AMA# have to 'Correct' how the newbies feel.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:21 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Well since we are in here and trying to capture the attention of our new pilots I just want to re-inform them that the member benefits is far greater then that of car insurance and includes more then just a magazine and Muncie's HQ. I really don't care if any of you guys give me crap for re-posting this information because this organization is for everyone. Some people take full advantage of it, others just pay and whine about it. Others just pay and fly. While others pay, fly and contribute.

Either way, this is what your REALLY getting for $58, some people just use a little bit more then others and to them and fellow AMA members that reap the full benefits of their money, I say THANK YOU with a great big smile on my face.

I will continue to provide this information in every single thread where mis-information, mislead information or even forgotten information about the AMA benefits is given, especially in threads calling out to new pilots. It's just a too frequent occurrence that the AMA gets a bad wrap because they only know how to point out the benefits that effect themselves and not the other 160,000 other AMA members. The AMA not an insurance pool, this is a MEMBERSHIP. The insurance is a PERK of your membership and everything else included.

PROGRAMS

Sanctioned events - more than 2,500 annually
Assistance in getting and keeping flying sites
National Safety Advisory Program and Safety Code Standards
Annual Youth Scholarship Program
Youth Education Programs, YES Grants
Club chartering Program providing club and site assistance to nearly 2,450 local clubs
Dues structured by age groups ‑ younger and older modelers pay less
Opportunities to serve in leadership roles of Contest Director and/or Leader Member
World Championships Teams selection and financing, plus travel assistance
Support and promotion for the sport of aeromodeling for schools, service groups, and clubs
Air Show Team Program offering demonstrations of model aircraft to millions of people
Club Officer Recognition
Mall Show Programs for clubs
Historic Preservation and Research programs (Museum, Archives, and Library)
Introductory Pilot Program
Attendance at major modeling trade shows for member assistance and to provide public awareness of aeromodeling
Conduct of volunteer programs for members participating in the International Aeromodeling Center activities
Leader club recognition
Hobby shop displays as an AMA information center
Hall of Fame recognition
Experimental Aircraft Inspections for models over 55 lbs.
Turbine Waivers for jet pilots

SERVICE

Liability Coverage for the Operation of Model Aircraft, Boats, Cars, and Rockets
$2,500,000 Comprehensive General Liability Protection for model activities for members, clubs, site owners, and sponsors
$25,000 Accident/Medical Coverage for members
$10,000 Maximum Accidental Death Coverage for members
$1,000 Fire, Theft, and Vandalism Coverage for members
Primary Site Owner Insurance ‑ up to $5,000,000 each location
Published information ‑‑Financial reports, Contest Calendar, Construction Articles, Claim reports, and general news
Information how to obtain Non Profit status to retain income as a Tax Exempt organization under IRS Section 501(c)(3)
Accumulated assets ($11 million)
Safeguarding radio frequencies through liaison with Federal Communications Commission
Achievements recognized through the Awards Program
World Record performances processed through FAI
Affiliate of National Aeronautical Association
Contest scheduling coordination to avoid conflicts
National Records recognized and recorded
Liaison maintained with major Government agencies (Corp. of Engineers, Navy, Air Force, Army, Marines, and FCC)
Film Library with rentals available to members, clubs, and general public
National Museum ‑ Frank V. Ehling National Model Museum ‑ free admission to all members
Museum Store for visitors
Museum Patron Program
Support and sponsorship of technical meetings
United States representation to the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale (FAI), Lucerne, Switzerland
More than 50 full-time staff members dedicated to serving all aspects of aeromodeling interests
The National Center for Aeromodeling, the world's only full‑time model aviation facility
Lee Renaud Memorial Library ‑ more than 25,000 publications and books with research service available
Specialty member programs offered only through AMA membership ‑ Credit Cards and Eye Care Discounts
Serving aeromodeling since 1936‑ more than 60 continuous years
Convenience of using a Fax machine to send and receive information
Affiliate of National Aeronautical Association
Web page on Internet ‑ Information dissemination
Internet E‑mail ‑ to improve ease of communications
Federal land use with Department of Interior
District meetings for in-person contact
Free 800 number for member service
Administrative staff to assist with explanation of various programs
Coordination with Federal Aviation Administration to promote safe regulations for flying
Online Club Charter Renewal Kit
Online Membership Manual
Purchase model plans
AMA Product Guide – WebStore

EVENTS

National Aeromodeling Championships, world's largest model airplane contest
World Championships and other special activities hosted
Development of new outdoor promotional modeling events

PRODUCTS

Model Aviation magazine ‑ The AMA Voice of Aeromodeling News
Standardized AMA competition rules ‑ the FAI Sporting Code Competition Regulations
Modeling publications available to members at discount prices through Supply & Service Department
AMA Insider for clubs
Delta Dart Kit for introduction to aeromodeling
Hobby Shop Lists for promotional needs
Club Labels for promotional needs
Club Newsletter Labels for promotional needs
Museum newsletter Cloud 9 for patrons
Model Flier's Sporting license for sanctioned events
Advertising about the Association Services in other modeling publications
AMA Convention (formerly known as IMS Show)
Sport Aviator (online magazine) – Dedicated to helping the new model pilot
Grand Event – exposing individuals to all aspects of the hobby of modeling
Old 07-07-2006, 10:00 AM
KidEpoxy

The Original Poster:
So I would like to invite all new members to share their thoughts. Are you satisfied? Does the membership seem worth it? Do you plan on renewing? A collection of honest replys to these questions
by KidEpoxy:
While the OP asked for New Members opinions, lets just see how many guys with 4 digit AMA# have to 'Correct' how the newbies feel.
from Good Ole STL:
I will continue to provide this information in every single thread where mis-information, mislead information or even forgotten information about the AMA benefits is given, especially in threads calling out to new pilots.
well thats 1 non-newbie trying to correct how we feel, let the count continue
Old 07-07-2006, 10:12 AM
STLPilot

well thats 1 non-newbie trying to correct how we feel, let the count continue
Really? How long do you think I've been flying RC planes ... less then 3 years.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:17 AM
50%plane

Hmmm, should this thread be about new AMA members alone or new AMA members and those under 30 years of age? Both get the same treatment from AMA members.

50%
Old 07-07-2006, 10:31 AM
STLPilot

Well I guess we can just make the noobie age the same age as Kid Epoxy and not a day over, because that's all that matters anyhow, to him.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:38 AM
redfox435cat

As usual SLT tries to blow smoke up everyone a even though most of those benefits are BS just to fill space

Sanctioned events - more than 2,500 annually. the AMA actually sanctions about 40 events. The rest are up the local clubs

Assistance in getting and keeping flying sites - we have 5 clubs in the area. All are having site problems and 4 are on thin ice over keeping them and AMA could care less. They just give us the, let us know if ya got site so we can tell everyone about it to look good.

Annual Youth Scholarship Program
Youth Education Programs, YES Grants - tell me again how this benefits the entire organization? I was a very studious individual, I did my best to try for both of those and never heard a word, I question weather it even exists

Club chartering Program providing club and site assistance to nearly 2,450 local clubs, wasn't this just mention 3 lines ago?
Dues structured by age groups ‑ younger and older modelers pay less, really great for the old farts that dictate the organization
Opportunities to serve in leadership roles of Contest Director and/or Leader Member. That's funny. LMAO. These are the most thankless jobs I can think of and again controlled by the retirees.
Club Officer Recognition same as above
Introductory Pilot Program - this is still a gray area to me. Since it take almost the entire 60 days to get your first card you have to sigh up right away anyhow, It's still really screwed for anyone signing up the first time around Oct were they pay an entire year for a couple months
Hobby shop displays as an AMA information center - I had a shop for two years. I tried getting one of these for 6 months, gave up and still never got it
More than 50 full-time staff members dedicated to serving all aspects of aero modeling interests if you can get em on the phone, and forget about e-mail, they don't answer
Specialty member programs offered only through AMA membership ‑ Credit Cards and Eye Care Discounts - oohh just what the American dream holders need, more credit cards, what kind of message is the AMA trying to send here. I still get a better rate on my own thank you, as if I need em
Experimental Aircraft Inspections for models over 55 lbs. I actually see this as an endangerment, If a guy builds a model that came out to say 57lbs, I for one would just carve out some structure to get it under the freaking 55lb limit making it a more dangerous model, I know I'm not alone
Turbine Waivers for jet pilots - I'd pissed if it wasn't there
Old 07-07-2006, 11:11 AM
macr0t0r
My Feedback: (2)

No Poll?

AMA provides services, but few of them affect the modeler directly (Museum, Muncie, Congressional Representation, etc). AMA is not an insurance company; that's just a necessary evil for most sites.

Joining AMA use to be like joining the Rotory club: you don't do it to receive services, you do it because you're enthusiastic enough with the hobby that you want to contribute and support it. Unfortunately, this whole "AMA Required" mentality has made AMA look more like the DMV rather than the Smithsonion Institute, so there are many people who have to buy AMA without having a chance to decide if its something they want to contribute to. In the end, they start looking for a way to trim or escape the requirement.

I'm satisfied, but it took awhile for me to dig in and find out what AMA does for the hobby. They really need to strangle whoever is doing PR over there. I'm guess this "poll" won't do well considering how AMA acquires members these days.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:03 PM
teookie

Well, I'm sad to see that this thread has just turned into a shooting match just like every other thread on this forum.

I just want to know if new AMA members, (less than 1 year of membership) are satisfied!

I admit that I forgot to define "new member" in my first post. I would say that if you are in your third year, you are not a new member anymore. If you are in your first year and 80 yrs old, that’s OK, you are still a new member to me.

So if anyone that doesn't fight er... post here regularly and is less than 1 year into the AMA wants to post their thoughts, please be my guest!!
Old 07-07-2006, 12:07 PM
50%plane

You are going to be hard pressed to find that. I seriously doubt that any do come by here and/or would dare to post.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:43 PM
macr0t0r
My Feedback: (2)

He can still get some valid info. May I suggest changing the rules a tad?

Rate AMA on a 5-star scale, followed by the number of years you have been a member. Remember, he is asking our rating of AMA NOW, not then.

Example:
macr0t0r: 3 stars, 22 years.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:38 PM
STLPilot

As usual SLT tries to blow smoke up everyone a even though most of those benefits are BS just to fill space
The AMA member benefits are as good as the weakest soldier. If you don't know how to work the system and take advantage of the benefits given to you, the right way, then it's your loss. I'm not trying to blow smoke up to anyone, I'm stating facts and those services are facts. I've had PLENTY of assitance with the AMA for many different reasons, but instead of just calling them and waiting for them to do all the work for me, I work with them to accomplish the goal. So I'm sorry to tell you that those services granted to the AMA members are ALL real.

Happy with the AMA - 5 stars
Happy with the EC - 1 stars
Old 07-07-2006, 02:33 PM
teookie

STL, I would venture a guess that the reason your list makes people upset is because a lot of us don't join the AMA for the "benifits". The ONLY reason we join is so that we can fly at a nice venue (as apposed to the local high school). Everything else just looks like added cost to us.

...and it looks like I've joined the shooting match! Looks like we only have one new AMA member posting here so far anywas...
Old 07-07-2006, 02:34 PM
50%plane

Happy with the AMA-----five stars
Iritated with the AMA-----four stars
Been an AMA member-----8 years
Old 07-07-2006, 03:06 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One presumes that a thoughtful introspective organization like the AMA is aware of its own nature. If there is any data management going on, the AMA knows how many members drop out after one year, two years, etc. There has been official concern over retention, keeping the member once the member has joined. My understanding is that the changes in Model Aviation we have seen over the past couple of years are an attempt to make the magazine more relevant and useful to the the new member, and to the long term member who is a casual RC flier.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:12 PM
STLPilot

STL, I would venture a guess that the reason your list makes people upset is because a lot of us don't join the AMA for the "benifits". The ONLY reason we join is so that we can fly at a nice venue (as apposed to the local high school). Everything else just looks like added cost to us.
Well for one thing I don't think it's a lot, just some. One thing about human nature is that they tend to be much more expressive in anger then they will be in happiness. Since we see the same 20 faces complaining about the excessive price in the AMA forums of the 160,000 members it only goes to show that you guys that are upset by paying your excessive AMA dues are just a minority. And like any kind of minority, just deal with it, don't ruin it for the rest of the other members. I mean like I said, the insurance is a PERK of the MEMBERSHIP. If you want a nice venue to fly, go find one and fly.

But one thing you can never take away from the AMA is the OTHER BENEFITS that it has to offer, whether you use them or not. Go try to get a single person insurance premimum for 2.5M coverage on your own and see what your price will be. The additional $48 you pay is CHUMP CHANGE compared to what a policy like that will run you. So to get a $10 cost price you need to spend an additional $48 to actually get it. Because that $10 price tag is AMA's cost, not MSRP. MSRP is $58 which includes all the other benefits in the benefit poll as well.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:32 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

...and it looks like I've joined the shooting match! Looks like we only have one new AMA member posting here so far anywas...
Actually I joined the AMA 13 years before I ever belonged to a Chartered club. The school yards and private fields did not require insurance then. But many of us felt is was the responsible thing to do. And we adopted the safety code. And these were nice flying sites. The nicest I have ever flown at. As the local area grew, the residents became aware of the value of these sites and we were forced to leave so the property could be used for more public interests.
If I found another beautiful and nearby site tomorrow, ( not AMA) I would still remain an AMA member.

Old 07-07-2006, 07:06 PM
vwtrey

I'm a new guy, less than a year. I'm also 26 years old. I look forward to getting the magazine every month. I enjoy the hobby, and like to read anything about it. I have no problem with the AMA, or its policies.

However, I have never dealt with the AMA in any way. I dont know anybody who holds a position in the organization. I have never been to any AMA sanctioned events. I have never had to make an insurance claim.

I get on here and read about the problems people have with the AMA. I honestly dont think its the majority view. Thats the nice thing about the internet. You have the chance for and unlimited number of people to get together, and read the views of 100. In my opinion, it makes things seem a lot worse than they really are.

trey
Old 07-07-2006, 09:22 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey its July....6 months are gone by this year. Why in _ell can,t I buy the remaining 6 months of this year for 1/2 Price? Also I do not need the Magizine. You can find all you need to know on-line. Capt,n[:@]
Old 07-07-2006, 11:21 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A common topic here seams to be that the AMA is not appealing to young people and doing a poor job of recruiting new members. So I would like to invite all new members to share their thoughts. Are you satisfied? Does the membership seem worth it? Do you plan on renewing? A collection of honest replys to these questions will, I believe, give a good indication to what is really going on with the AMA. (With all the finger pointing aside.)

Not one of those you are seeking however I will make the 'poxykid' feel good, even though I never had a 4 digit AMA #. Did have a 5 digit back in the '40s, '50s and early '60s. Then with my CD and leader member I had a 3 digit, then a couple years ago I received the current L 93 thing. I like it! [>:]

In this day and age, any person having joined AMA within the past few years (IMO the past 20 years) has almost no concept (clue) what the sport of model aviation is all about or the history of the sport - hobby, much less what AMA is, what AMA should be, and/or what AMA Could BE! To ask a newbie of within 5 years if he is satisfied, he doesn't really have the knowledge to make such determination. BECAUSE he is NOT given any guidance in that direction. HE is only sold insurance which he doesn't understand the reason/s for, has no idea why he needs it when so many other recreations don't have such.

As a member for some 55 years, I am horribly dissatisfied with where the AMA is now and the 360° directional course that AMA management finds itself in. While I speak loudly against AMA's management, I AM ALL FOR AMA AS DEFINED BY ITS BYLAWS AND THE STATED PURPOSES.

Unfortunately the poor management results from all the newer members within the last 20 years that fail to research and/or observe the direction and position of what and where AMA SHOULD BE relative than that which IS, and fail to select those managers that would, could and can get the organization on a POSITIVE course for model aviation as a worthwhile sport and recreational activity as well as a demanding competition exercise for those that care to go there.

Not all golfers are of the Tiger Woods variety. Also in model aviation one can seek one's own level. I use to be a recognized bass fisherman, yet I had no interest in the Bass Masters. In AMA there are opportunities and places for each modeler/pilot as the individual so determines.

The new (or old) AMA member does not get a Membership Manual each year, nor does he get a "Rule Book" Competitions Regulations nor does he get anything to advise him/her of what AMA really is supposed to be, or be about.

However EXCEPTIONS DO EXIST:
For a quick idea of how one young person sees this sport check:

http://www.houstonpress.com/

"Houston Press"

Top of the World
Mike Willcox is one of the best on the planet at what he does

By Richard Connelly

What's in YOUR pocket?

Old 07-08-2006, 08:55 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This may be Quicker http://www.houstonpress.com/Issues/2.../feature2.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.