Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Making the impossible, possible E-field NYC

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Making the impossible, possible E-field NYC

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 08:05 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making the impossible, possible E-field NYC

After reading some of these threads, and of course having contributed to most of them in this particular subject, my business partner, myself and a couple other friends decided that we are going to take on a big challenge, starting today.

We made a few phone calls to see if we could do something which most people think is impossible, to create an e-power radio control field in America's busiest park, Central Park NYC. Central Park is 843 acres and has roughly 25 million people pass through it in a single year. So far after the few initial calls we discovered that it's definitely possible, but it will take work, a lot of work. We not only decided that we are going to stop at nothing to help create this field, but we are also going to document every single step of the way in this thread and some other online and offline venues as well. We are also going to show you that not only are we going to stop at nothing to get it going but demonstrate that we are going to keep as safe and even moreso then any other RC field in America, which of course will only know in the future. But with 25 million heads walking through a year, those stats shouldn't take too long.

There are many reasons why we want to acheive this, but the number one reason is just to physically show you guys that creating these fields is not impossible, anywhere. Of course we are going to use many different resources via business partners, gov't agencies, NFP's, politicians, celebs and even private businesses to help us get this going and hopefully it will lay the foundation and inspire others who want to achieve the same goal in their own neck of the woods.

Like I said, we are going to document every single step of the process. The project will have 2 outcomes, 1 we get a field, 2 we don't get a field. But either way we mostly want to demonstrate exactly how we may make this happen utilizing all the possible channels and resources which we know. We are not going to stop until we've eliminated every single chance or possibility of acquiring a designated flying field in Central Park. We've already decided on the name of the field, and will make that announcement on the day we open the field to the public.

Now the talk is over and the action begins. I have to travel a bit over the next 18 hours and will be in back in OshKosh tomorrow nite and will be meeting with a few people there in regards to this project. Wish us luck!
Old 07-24-2006, 11:22 PM
macr0t0r
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Making the impossible, possible. America's e-field NYC

Sweet Mary, you don't start with the low-hanging fruit, do you? Don't break yourself on this one. Anyhow, thread subscribed!
Old 07-25-2006, 02:37 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Logging on too.

Way to Go! Actually, I think it is very doable. Just wondering tho, are you pushing for an open field or closed just to AMA members or some other organization?
Old 07-25-2006, 04:30 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: STLPilot

After reading some of these threads, and of course having contributed to most of them in this particular subject, my business partner, myself and a couple other friends decided that we are going to take on a big challenge, starting today.

We made a few phone calls to see if we could do something which most people think is impossible, to create an e-power radio control field in America's busiest park, Central Park NYC. Central Park is 843 acres and has roughly 25 million people pass through it in a single year. So far after the few initial calls we discovered that it's definitely possible, but it will take work, a lot of work. We not only decided that we are going to stop at nothing to help create this field, but we are also going to document every single step of the way in this thread and some other online and offline venues as well. We are also going to show you that not only are we going to stop at nothing to get it going but demonstrate that we are going to keep as safe and even moreso then any other RC field in America, which of course will only know in the future. But with 25 million heads walking through a year, those stats shouldn't take too long.

There are many reasons why we want to do this, but the number one reason is just to physically show you that creating these fields is not impossible, anywhere. Of course we are going to use many different resources via business partners, gov't agencies, NFP's, politicians, celebs and even private businesses to help us get this going and hopefully it will lay the foundation and inspire others who want to achieve the same goal in their own neck of the woods.

Like I said, we are going to document every single step of the process. The project will have 2 outcomes, 1 we get a field, 2 we don't get a field. But either way we mostly want to demonstrate exactly how we may make this happen utilizing all the possible channels and resources which we know. We are not going to stop until we've eliminated every single chance or possibility of acquiring a designated flying field in Central Park. We've already decided on the name of the field, and will make that announcement on the day we open the field to the public.

Now the talk is over and the action begins. I have to travel a bit over the next 18 hours and will be in back in OshKosh tomorrow nite and will be meeting with a few people there in regards to this project. Wish us luck!
Now, that's putting your money where your mouth is. Best of luck to you Dion. I know that we most often disagree on most subjects, but I sincerely hope that you are successful in this venture. Central Park... Whooda thunk it?

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 07-25-2006, 05:14 AM
STLPilot

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf
Logging on too.
Way to Go! Actually, I think it is very doable. Just wondering tho, are you pushing for an open field or closed just to AMA members or some other organization?
More then likely it will be an AMA club sponsoring the field, but we are going to use the AMA's direct assistance as little as possible. If they want to jump on the wagon and reap some PR benefits, it's up to them. But the assistance we are going to utilize are the documents and protocol that they've already put into place over the last 70 years. So in essence we will be indirectly using the services provided by the AMA, most in part just to show you guys that you don't need to have the AMA hold your hand to acquire a field, you just need to use the resources which they've provided. But in regards to your post, the most important pieces of the project will be safety first, organization second. We are not going to limit safety and organization just to prove a point that we can do it without the blanket of the AMA.

Also keep in mind that we are going to utilize a ridiculous amount of resources for the project, much more then you'll ever need to do. We have a feeling that we could go into this with the simple approach, talk to parks, cut a deal and woola but then what fun would that be. We are going to flank the NYC parks and recs with a barrage of support and outside influence from greater bodies above and then go in for the pitch. We are also going create a full business plan and create a corporation as well.

Anyhow today we are going to make a bunch of calls. First of which to the parks and recs planner to get the largest and most detailed and statistical map of the park they have to offer. The first part is to go over the lay of the land. Where can we fly? Where is the least amount of known foot traffic? Where are best locations to have some kind of landing approach for these planes? A hundred other questions to narrow the designated area down to about 5 locations we think would work best. We won't be able to do the actual surveying of the land till we get back to NYC next week, but we'll have much of info and stats we need before we get there.

Also going to call a friend of at the Department of Transportation for legal assistance. Hopefully he can also tie us into the FCC for any frequency issues we may incur as well.

We've also hired a full time project manager from within our company to handle operations, Issac Murphy. Issac is from Philly, living in N Jersey and a recent graduate of Penn State U. He's one of our best instructors at THQ and looking to get into education full time, however we've been looking for opportunties to serve his talents within and this is project is right up his alley.

I'm also going to start writing a few proposals in different formats for potential partners in the project. One of the key ingredients to making the field work is getting pilots. Right now NYC, especially Manhattan is not too up to speed on aviation RC, but they will be real soon. If we can't get the people to fly, then what good is it, right? Well first we'll create some media partners to help us spread the word that the an RC field is in the works in Central Park. To get acquire these partners you have to create a proposal, short, sweet and to the point. I'll post it when it's completed.

Here are some good pics and maps of the park: http://www.centralparknyc.org/virtualpark

Also I forgot to add if you live in the metro area and want to join the project, send me a PM.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:50 AM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Making the impossible, possible E-field NYC

Cool! Great Job STL! I can't wait to see how you do it.

50%
Old 07-25-2006, 10:16 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish you all the luck in the world, and I'd use the field...
Some things to consider...
You need some way to get from the edge of the park to the field with your planes. Consider that carefully.
Also, talk to the boathouse people, there is a dedicated model boat pond and boathouse there.

Also, be very leery of "outflanking" a city official, a parks department person. Going over someone's head is the LAST resort...consider just inviting them for lunch, FIRST THING, telling them what you are looking to do, and ASKING them how to go about it. I've dealt with city officials an awful lot, the worst way to get off on the wrong foot is to imply that they HAVE to do something, or that they might be overruled...most of them are okay people, they just have a job to do, and, often, a lot of rules they can't circumvent...so find out exactly what their requirements ARE and work WITH them. You will sometimes find that a letter from a senator or donald trump don't do diddly-squat when you need to borrow a sanitation truck, the sanitation guys could give a ratzass about what some senator thinks...know what I am saying?
Ask first what the hoops are.
I do beleive an ordinance is on the books against it, since the thirties, I have been tossed out of Central Park for flying models there.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:21 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Another thing...getting your own section of Central Park is MIGHTY ambitious...
Maybe a first step would be to just get a permit to do it once, get an area for a day, hold a little fly-in, see how it goes, make the Parks Department feel more comforatble.
After that, make it, like, a permit every Thursday afternoon, or somethign like that...
An incremental approach might work better here.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:49 AM
macr0t0r

"Flanking" does not always mean a battle.
His point is to gain approval from multiple channels. If the park director hears approving words from his known co-workers, then he is more likely to have an approving view as well. If the Park Director is the only one in on it, then he may take a "why bother" stance if there are no vocalizations from his fellow officials.

Let the man work. I'll hold my critiques until I see how his method turn out.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:03 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

No "critique" whatsoever, just some friendly advice and suggestions, from having had a fair amount of experience with City Officials, including getting permits for Central Park.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:07 PM
Jim Messer

Dion: I hope you do succeed with your plan. It sounds great to me. Central Park? I have only been there once.

Just for fun, to let you know that I have a map of NYC with a separate section showing an enlarged Central Park - in color - printed as a special edition of The New York Herald, dated June 20, 1897. What's it worth? There is also a separate map showing the "asphalted streets" in Brooklyn. The paper notes that this map will allow bicyclisis who have not yet covered the ground, a good idea of the miles of streets available to them to wheel in comfort.

I know this is off topic, but thought it interesting considering it's relationship to Central Park.

Old 07-27-2006, 12:20 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: STLPilot

More then likely it will be an AMA club sponsoring the field, but we are going to use the AMA's direct assistance as little as possible. If they want to jump on the wagon and reap some PR benefits, it's up to them. But the assistance we are going to utilize are the documents and protocol that they've already put into place over the last 70 years. So in essence we will be indirectly using the services provided by the AMA, most in part just to show you guys that you don't need to have the AMA hold your hand to acquire a field, you just need to use the resources which they've provided. //snip//

Also keep in mind that we are going to utilize a ridiculous amount of resources for the project, much more then you'll ever need to do. //snip//
We are going to flank the NYC parks and recs with a barrage of support and outside influence from greater bodies above and then go in for the pitch. We are also going create a full business plan and create a corporation as well.

Anyhow today we are going to make a bunch of calls.
//snip//
Also going to call a friend of at the Department of Transportation for legal assistance. Hopefully he can also tie us into the FCC for any frequency issues we may incur as well.

We've also hired a full time project manager from within our company to handle operations, //snip//

I'm also going to start writing a few proposals in different formats for potential partners in the project. One of the key ingredients to making the field work is getting pilots.
//snip//
I'll post it when it's completed.

No joking: Best of luck to you. However I do prefer those "...COMPLETED.." reports.

Lots of BUMPY roads are paved with good intentions. BTDT!! []
Old 07-27-2006, 01:49 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Best wishes on your endeavor Dion. You may prove to others that only dedicated individuals with cool heads, good diplomacy, and focus is what gets flying fields and makes the hobby grow. Not the AMA, although they do have some good materials site development.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:05 PM
STLPilot

ORIGINAL: macr0t0r

"Flanking" does not always mean a battle.
His point is to gain approval from multiple channels. If the park director hears approving words from his known co-workers, then he is more likely to have an approving view as well. If the Park Director is the only one in on it, then he may take a "why bother" stance if there are no vocalizations from his fellow officials.

Let the man work. I'll hold my critiques until I see how his method turn out.
Don't worry Easy, I can eat city officials without salt if I had too, but Mac just answered your concerns as per his statement above. But please feel free to pass along any concerns you have or ideas, I'll be reading every one of them very closely.

Also guys keep in mind that we are going to milk this project for everything it's worth and take our time. But like I said, it's not because we have too, it's because we want too. We want to make a fiasco out of this project more or less to give the spotlight to the hobby while we are trying to reach our goal. I'm not worried at all about failing at this project because it more then likely won't happen.

Anyhow most of us are back from Oshkosh and we'll be right back at things tomorrow, keep you posted.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:02 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

***?
I thought you wanted to do something good, now you just want to get some attention.
What is WRONG with you?
If you are going to work at getting a field in Central Park, do it. If you want to do some stupid publicity stunt, don't do it. All you do is burn bridges for others.
If you are planning on it failing, it will.
If you are approaching this to "make a fiasco to put a spotlight on the hobby"....

NO THANKS.

Pretty much GUARANTEED you are going to cause ramifications for OTHER pilots if you go and make a stink just to get attention. Nobody is going to think so much of you if they ban flying from ALL parks in the area, and there IS plenty of flying going on right now.

What is WRONG with you? Do you REALLY think things through?
Or is it all just to get attention for your HobbyQuest business?
I am SERIOUSLY questioning your motivations.
You had me going there for a minute, that you actually wanted to do something altruistic.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:54 PM
STLPilot

Thanks for the vote of confidence and question my motivations all you want, but we are pushing forward with the project either way. There are several minds thinking through the project and we generally don't do anything without a specific plan and specific goals in place. The publicity stunts will be the short term goal and the field will be the long term goal. The winners will be the people that get to use the field.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:00 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dion,

I am troubled by what you posted a couple of posts back. In your post, you stated that you wished to make this venture a fiasco. May I ask why? Is this something that you are planning in order to discredit another faction of this hobby? If so, you do not deserve to be allowed to proceed with this venture. When I thought that you actually were going to try and get a foothold into the Parks system of New York City, I thought that I had unfairly branded you. Now It almost seems that I was right all along (If what you stated is accurate). By publicity stunts, I hope that you do not do something that would besmirch the rest of the hobbyists in your area. I am copying and saving the posts in this thread, and if you do what I think you are planning, I will personally make the statements that you have made in this thread available to the various boards within the City Government.

I encourage you to think through the ramifications to the hobby with regard to these publicity stunts.

EasyTiger, please alert your City Commissioners as to the published agenda that he has posted.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 07-30-2006, 07:14 PM
STLPilot

Agenda? Conspiracy? How about trying to acquire a field for people to fly in a region where you guys think is impossible. I said in the beginning that we'll intend to get some press and partners on board to help spread the word and get the job done, but there is no hidden agenda or conspiracy at work here, just relax.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:20 PM
50%plane

Git-r-done!
Old 07-30-2006, 07:22 PM
50%plane

Git-r-done!
Old 07-30-2006, 10:42 PM
KidEpoxy

I'm gonna wait one more week before I judge his project....
This may be one time STL might be doing something I would like to see done, and he was away for a few days.

Clocks ticking, lets hear progress reports at least weekly, with less dissent provoking outlines of what you will do.
You had the gang actually giving you a chance to succeed, dont post trash that just upsets them.
Stay focused on the task, not the posts.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:42 PM
Ken Erickson

STL,

Your second paragraph in post #14 is what has caused thnis stir. An explanation might be in order. I can see what has alarmed stickbuilder and easytiger.

"fiasco" and "more than likely it won't happen"

Even I am not sure of what you are saying.

Ken
Old 07-31-2006, 07:18 AM
STLPilot

The fiasco will occur mostly internally, not externally. However we will be getting press on the matter. We can't get the pilots without the press.

Like I said, we'll be utilizing many more then needed channels and partners to get the job done and taking our sweet time to make sure the deal is closed before we walk in the door. When it comes to the officials, procedeure will be followed to it's fullest, but at the same time, we'll be over prepared for any types of bottlenecks. If you think I'm going to circle city hall, just forget it.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:40 AM
STLPilot

Anyhow, back to the plan. Like I said I'm going to document every step of the way.

Last nite I was contacted by a nice gentlemen named Paul whose been watching the thread and would also like to see a field in Central Park. He told me that a new club and field was formed and acquired the use of 2 soccer fields in Brooklyn after losing the use of a baseball field in another local Park.

He told me that he was going to put me in touch with the people that were involved in forming the field as they established a good relationship with NYC Parks.

Information like this is invaluable, thanks Paul.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:33 PM
aviti
My Feedback: (54)

When I walked through Central Park I saw at least one giant grassy field that looked perfect for e-flight. Of course it was roped off completely and didn't allow anyone to even walk on it. I thought it was kinda silly to have such nice grass that no one could use...good luck Dion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.