Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA License???

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA License???

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 04:43 PM
patnchris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMA License???

I have always wanted to get into RC flying. Back when I was a young boy, I spent many evenings building control line planes and flying them at a home made field down the street from my home. Even then I thought that IF I could only "cut the lines".....Wouldn't that be grand....Now many years later, I have the time, to again, get into my hobby. For now, I just got an electric park model and have flown it at a few Athletic fields around my home. There is an actual flying field, not far from my home, that is supported by our county forest preserve, however it requires a permit. While I have no problem paying for a permit to use this facility, the application requires an "AMA license"....
While surfing these boards I have seen references to the AMA and have seen applications to join.....But I haven't seen anywhere where it says anything about having a license.
So, here are my questions:
1. Is one required to have a license to fly planes?......I realize that for many of the larger, more powerful planes, it is logical.
2. I only plan to fly electrics. For now, probably park models.....However, what determines a park model, from any other
3. At some point in time, I would like to build my own planes, from kits and maybe, my own design. Where does one find out what restrictions there or, regarding this.

I know these questions seem pretty stupid, but IF I don't ask, I won't know.
I've seen many replies to questions on these boards that say.....JOIN A CLUB......I am not much of a joiner......I won't say never, but I'm inclined to say that I won't be joining any club, in the forseeable future.....I just want to build and fly my planes....
Old 07-27-2006, 05:16 PM
Dr1Driver

Default RE: AMA License???

1. Is one required to have a license to fly planes?......I realize that for many of the larger, more powerful planes, it is logical.
At an AMA chartered club, you must have an AMA membership to fly there. You may fly a model airplane anywhere you wish, provided you have the landowner's permission and do not endanger anyone.

2. I only plan to fly electrics. For now, probably park models.....However, what determines a park model, from any other
There are no real criteria. "Park flyers" are generally under 24" wingspan, and modestly electrically powered.

3. At some point in time, I would like to build my own planes, from kits and maybe, my own design. Where does one find out what restrictions there or, regarding this.

The only two restrictions I know of in the USA are weight (55# or less), and turbines, which require a special license fo aly at any chartered club field.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:18 PM
patnchris

What is the difference between and AMA license and being an AMA member?
Old 07-27-2006, 05:54 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: patnchris

No. The AMA 'license' permits you to fly in AMA sanctioned competitions. There is no requirement by any governmental agency for a license to fly. AMA membership and the membership card are often referred to as a 'license;' AMA promotions in hobby shops proclaim "Get you AMA License Here,"and it was even printed on the card until a couple of years ago.
AMA chartered clubs are required to mandate AMA membership on all club members. It appears that an AMA club has a use agreement with the park where the flying site is. That is why a 'license' is needed to fly there. Some public entities prefer to deal with clubs rather than individuals regarding uses like model flying. They expect self-policing from the club, and also may require the liability insurance and co-insurance; the club and members generally find this easiest to obtain from AMA.

The distinguishing feature(s) relate to compatibility with the park environment. Quiet operation (hence generally electric powered), and non-threatening to other park users, which infers low mass and velocity. I wouldn't personally want to fly anything with kinetic energy over typical park 'missiles' like footballs and frisbees, i.e., under about 12 oz and perhaps 40 mph. AMA has proposed a program intended for park flyers that would weigh up to 2 lbs and travel at up to 60 mph. There is no broadly accepted definition of park flyer and there probably never will be, until some organization (AMA or other) sets arbitrary limits based on an insurance provider's guesstimate of liability risk.
There is a de facto restriction on weight of 25 Kg, set by an international organization of commercial aircraft operators (ICAO), and agreed to by the US, represented by FAA. FAA has not yet felt the need to enforce it, leaving that for the time being with organizations like AMA. AMA restrictions conform to this 'guideline,' though exceptions are made subject to specified controls. Suggest conforming to the guidelines found in the AMA Safety Code, unless/until you find them too confining. FAA does have control of the airspace, and I expect if you reach a point where AMA guidelines are going to be exceeded, you'll have to deal with FAA directly, in which case the answer is likely to be NO.

Abel
Old 07-27-2006, 06:10 PM
patnchris

That was the information I was looking for.....Thank you very much....I'm not sure exactly where this hobby will take me, but for now, this information is good. I will have no problem joining the AMA orginization......As far as park flying......I will not fly in a park that is currently in use.....The parks and athletic fields I use are abandoned, early in the morning, when the wind is lightest.....Plus there are several ball parks that are on the city limits that have soybean fields on three sides. These are not used, during the day......but are heavily used in the evenings.....Thanks again.....Pat

Old 07-27-2006, 06:52 PM
afineman

Dr1Driver

"2. I only plan to fly electrics. For now, probably park models.....However, what determines a park model, from any other
There are no real criteria. "Park flyer's" are generally under 24" wingspan, and modestly electrically powered. "

A GWS Slow Stick is one of the quintessential "Park Flayer's" but it's wing span is 46.3 in as well as being well powered, and there are many more 40+inch ws that fall into the PF category.

patnchris

The term "license", is a very inappropriate term to used, by joining the AMA you are granted privelges non AMA members don't get access to, BUT those privileges are confined to AMA charted fields ONLY.

Outside of an AMA chartered field (flying in the park), the AMA membership ( outside of secondary insurance ) doesn't do much for you.

patnchris

The moment I post this, there will be fall out, I post this because, by using the term "license", "Only 2 restrictions", is VERY miss leading ( you guys I think know better).

MANY people have wonderful experiences with the chartered clubs and the AMA and I don't want you to think you won't have a GREAT time being a member of both, I just don't like the limited information/slanted information used in this post to get you to believe this is the only way.

Hope it helps

Brent
Old 07-27-2006, 07:04 PM
patnchris

I didn't think the 24 inch thing was correct as I'm currently flying an Hobby Zone Freedom and an AeroBird Extreme......Both have wingspans over 42 inches
Old 07-27-2006, 08:44 PM
KidEpoxy

by OP:
By Able:

There is a de facto restriction on weight of 25 Kg, set by an international organization of commercial aircraft operators (ICAO), and agreed to by the US, represented by FAA. FAA has not yet felt the need to enforce it, leaving that for the time being with organizations like AMA.
Seems we just went over this, to well beyond a gray area, in the thread [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4488019/tm.htm]FAA regulating model airplanes [/link] .
There we had a lovely little chat about AC91-57 from the Fed, the FARs of GA, and the SELF IMPOSED ama 55lb limit. Any concerns of questions about the weight & altitude limits should first read the 2 or 3 pages of that thread. As that thread left off, there is no actual law forbidding planes over 55lb (local ordinances ofcourse may vary), but folks should feel free to limit themselves for Niceness and Internationalismness. However, the ama regularly grants exemptions to that limit, anyway.

Build whatever make you happy, its a Hobby- enjoy it.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:04 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

By Able:

There is a de facto restriction on weight of 25 Kg, set by an international organization of commercial aircraft operators (ICAO), and agreed to by the US, represented by FAA. FAA has not yet felt the need to enforce it, leaving that for the time being with organizations like AMA.
Seems we just went over this, to well beyond a gray area, in the thread [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4488019/tm.htm]FAA regulating model airplanes [/link] .
There we had a lovely little chat about AC91-57 from the Fed, the FARs of GA, and the SELF IMPOSED ama 55lb limit. Any concerns of questions about the weight & altitude limits should first read the 2 or 3 pages of that thread. As that thread left off, there is no actual law forbidding planes over 55lb (local ordinances ofcourse may vary), but folks should feel free to limit themselves for Niceness and Internationalismness. However, the ama regularly grants exemptions to that limit, anyway.

Build whatever make you happy, its a Hobby- enjoy it.
KE-

That's a good summary. I'm not quite in concert with your tone of "folks should feel free to limit themselves for Niceness and Internationalismness." Whatever happened to Responsibility and Good Judgment? I strongly prefer that to having somebody else lay the law down on me, but that's just my nature as a libertarian. Apparently you feel otherwise. Might be a cultural thing, me being an OF and you a young punk. No problem with that, really. Just noting the difference in outlooks - diff'rint strokes.....and all that. We'd prolly be friends anyway.

Abel
Old 07-27-2006, 09:19 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Hmmm...From my perspective it seems you two are on the same page. Just a little different way of expressing the thought
Old 07-27-2006, 09:39 PM
KidEpoxy

"Might be a cultural thing, me being an OF and you a young punk"

Hey! Watch your mouth.... Who you calling young!
My beard was gray back in the 90s. KidEpoxy is of the SundanceKid FriscoKid ilk. I get a lot of it, no big deal.

The main point of the post was to get the link of the other FedRegs thread out,
The degree one presses their rights is a personal preference, but seems Able & I are pretty much on the same page with this one.

Besides, it takes a lot of building to get to the point when Limits may be a concern.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:04 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

In a nutshell AMA membership gives you liability insurance if you fly with the site owners permission and follow the fairly simple safety code. In spite of what some people think it applies even at non ama clubs if you follow the above 2 steps. It also comes with a magazine subscription and allows you to fly at sactioned events or fields if you are traveling or whatever.

For the cost of the insurance alone its worth the 58/year in todays law suit happy society. The magazine has a little bit of something for everyone as well.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:42 AM
KidEpoxy

in todays law suit happy society
but the insanity with lawsuits can also work for you-
The crazy Deep Pockets suits will have guys going after the owners (probably a city if parkflying where not forbidden), and tapping the deep pockets of the city is far better than trying to squeeze $20k-$200k from a pizza delivery guy. One can intentionaly underinsure to make others seem like riper targets for suits.