Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

How do you establish a new flying field?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

How do you establish a new flying field?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 02:53 PM
e-sailpilot86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you establish a new flying field?

I'd like to establish a flying field, or flying fields at my local parks, and only the ones within my cities limits. Someone in here had some pretty clear objectives of how to establish a large one, but I don't necessarily want to do that. We've only got two "official" AMA santioned flying fields in the county, and for the most part, they're too large for parkflyers, hence, we cannot fly close enough to ourselves, and the AMA is yet to establish a good set of guidelines for parkflying fields. STAY OUT OF THIS DISCUSSION IF YOU'RE GOING TO JUST WHINE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT CURRENT LEGISLATION REGARDING MODEL AIRCRAFT IN CITY PARKS, AND STAY OUT IF YOU'RE GOING TO WHINE ABOUT MY TRYING TO ESTABLISH A FLYING SITE, OR SITES. THEY'VE ESTABLISHED SAFTEY RULES BEFORE FOR SPECIFIC REASONS, AND BY NOT ALLOWING R/C AIRCRAFT IN UNDESIGNATED AREAS, WITHOUT ANY DESIGNATED AREAS, THEY'RE COMMUNICATING A NEED FOR REGULATION OF A SPORT WHICH THEY'RE NOT SURE HOW TO DO.

REMEMBER THIS:

Please resist the urge to curse, flame, degrade, insult or embarrass someone in your post. We encourage the free flow of your ideas, but believe that they can be communicated (and received) much more effectively if you keep things civil. If you have to vent, take it offline. We carefully monitor posts and will ban individuals who engage in offensive conduct within the forums. Thanks. (RCU Policies)

So, here are some initial ideas I have for the parks, I'm not going to jump into the soonest meeting, I don't have much of a plan yet, so, I'll list my ideas for the parks, kinda similar in the same way that the parks around here list their rules. One mistake they have is they restrict all model aircraft (I'm yet to ever see or hear them enforce the rules, but I'd like better frequency control), and I think they meant just r/c, I'm certain noone would care if someone flies a rubberband model. I'd like some help on wording after we've worked on the regulations

-Flying of remote-controlled model aircraft is restricted to designated areas, and only electric "parkflyer" type aircraft, as well as small glider/sailplanes
-low velocity aircraft are strongly encouraged (Slow-Stick, J3-Cub (GWS))

-spread spectrum 2.4 Ghz band operation is also strongly encouraged.

-Aircraft are not to exceed nor sustain 45mph within the parks. Minimize velocity to a safe, low velocity airspeed unless emergency use of high power is necessary. Aircraft that must maintain high speeds near 45mph must be light and no heavier than 5 ounces, about 1/3 of a pound. Higher velocities are allowed only upon launch of glider type aircraft. (SAL, DLG)

-low performance aircraft up to 100 watts of motor power, high performance aerobatic aerobatic aircraft are limited to 50 watts of motor power. (please make cases for different or higher watt levels)

-remote-controlled helicopters are restricted to 150 watts peak motor power (really need help here ECO is a little to large for parks around here)

-Certain fields are permitted to use the 72mhz band, Ham band, and spread spectrum frequencies, while others are restricted only for spread spectrum use for frequency control (not sure what to say about the 27mhz and 49mhz band yet) 2 mile separation for 72 mhz band

-always communicate your transmitter frequency with other pilots before turning on r/c equipment, do not operate on the same frequency

-land aircraft should other people or animals come too close to flying vicinity.

-aircraft must not be flown closer than 15 feet from spectators, land if otherwise.

-yield to reserved users, and try to fly during times of high use (whew! I accidentally put low use there before I edited!)

Now, I'd like to say these aren't necessarily AMA rules. I do not think the AMA can establish an appropriate set of rules without having an R/C field that is only for R/C. These are multiuse fields, not only use fields.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:09 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: How do you establish a new flying field?

First piece of advice. Take away any words like "encouraged", "should" and "try". You need to use definitive terms only when dealing with parks departments, you have to pick one or the other or create some kind of limit. What is your weight limit?

Why worry about the power if you have speed limit of 45 MPH? Why bother with that? That will knock out a light of very light and safe 3D planes that use high power/low speed.

Keep it simple as possible, most important. Don't give your members or guests too much to think about before they arrive to the field. The more they have to think the more dangerous it can become. Create a designated flying area then give them a weight limit, speed limit and flying area.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:45 PM
e-sailpilot86

I'd worry about the power because the kinetic energy that the plane is carrying with it in the air is a big concern. I'd say that a weight limit is a better way to deal with power output, so, I'll use that instead. What the community doesn't want, is someone with a speed 400 pylon racer. So, I'll move off of the power requirements for the moment. Thanks for the tips! I want to work towards something that as few people will object to as possible. Something I wish I could encourage is the use of spread spectrum, spread spectrum opens up a whole lot more flying areas than a standard radio can allow... We'll work on that some more. I'll put it in red just to leave it there.

Here goes! First edit, out of probably 20 or more. [&:]

-Flying of remote-controlled model aircraft is restricted to designated areas, only electric "parkflyer" type aircraft, small helicopters, as well as small glider/sailplanes are allowed

-spread spectrum 2.4 Ghz band operation is strongly encouraged. (too bad it's too new to be required)

-Aircraft are not to exceed 45mph within the parks. Higher velocities than 45mph are allowed only upon launch of glider type aircraft. (SAL, DLG)

-aircraft cannot exceed a mass of 3 pounds (for some reason, I really think that's too high. A stryker would be fine at a particular field, as well as one other, need to check the distances)

-Designated fields only allow the use of transmitters operating on bands other than spread spectrum

-always communicate your transmitter frequency with other pilots before turning on r/c equipment, do not operate on the same frequency

-land aircraft when other people or animals come too close to flying vicinity.

-aircraft must not be flown closer than 15 feet from spectators, land if otherwise.

Keep it coming folks!
Old 07-31-2006, 04:49 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

-spread spectrum 2.4 Ghz band operation is strongly encouraged. (too bad it's too new to be required)

Don't even bother to put it in the rules, otherwise it becomes a liability. If someone gets hurt and the cause was an FM radio used, you are looking at a potential lawsuit. Just make it something you suggest to your club members as an unwritten rule. Your right, it's too new so don't make it confusing to your members. Point is if I'm at your field and someone takes a hit and hurts me with an FM radio, I'm going to sue the crap out of the pilot seeing that pilot was highly encouraged to use a safer radio. I'm also going to sue the land owner because he left himself wide open for a lawsuit by not creating a definitive rule. Good intentions can have harmful results.

-land aircraft when other people or animals come too close to flying vicinity.

A flight line must be established, in front of which flying takes place and in back of which spectators must stand. These lines can be curved or even a circle if needed. No flying behind the flight line or if someone is within the flight line, that's already in the rules. If you need to create a 15' buffer between your flying area and your spectators then do that. This eliminates you having to even create the additional rules after you've established the flying area. Try to deviate from the AMA rules and guidelines as little as possible. The more you deviate the more responsibility you take into your own hands.

Little by little you're going to find out that you're club will have about 3 rules other then the guidelines and safety code and if you have only 3 rules more you'll be much safer then if you have 10 additional rules. Again, keep it simple. Don't worry about wing loading, watts and pylon racing. Whose going to pylon race with 45 mph speed limit? I suggest you just stick to a weight and a speed and then follow the AMA guidelines as best as you can, they did their homework.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:56 PM
Newc

I am assuming that your intent is to have someone from your Parks and Recrfeation department (or similar) agree with whatever you establish, right? If so, one of the overriding concerns of those folks is the elimination of ambiguity as was subtly suggested by STLPilot. To this end, if I were on the receiving end of your draft I would need definitions of the following words, phrases and terms you have used: how will the designated area be 'designated' (eg, white lines, fences, etc.); parkflyer; small; spread spectrum; SAL; DLG; bands; how to communicate which frequency is being used; how will 45 mph be measured and how can it be enforced; if this speed limit is to be allowed for launches, why are the other limits in place, since safety is safety?; what speed is allowed for launches?; what is 'too close' for people and animals; etc. Specificity is a virtue - and is mandatory for something such as you are proposing.

Also, I will wager that "aircraft must not be flown closer than 15 feet from spectators" will never be accepted. You will need something more like 100 feet from spectators. Maybe for the small, electric planes you are thinking about 15 feet from the pilot is acceptable, but I doubt that any city representative will ever accept 15 feet from spectators. They are more than likely going to require a barrier to keep spectators at bay.

Finally, you said that "I'd worry about the power because the kinetic energy that the plane is carrying with it in the air is a big concern." FYI, it's not the power of the plane that imparts kinetic energy, it's the speed and mass.

Good luck.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:33 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

not worth time
Old 09-21-2006, 08:25 PM
Newc

I guess that e-sailpilot86 wsn't too committed to this endeavor after all, right?
Old 09-27-2006, 05:42 PM
e-sailpilot86

Can't be committed now, I've got at least 50 hours of college work each week, not worth it at all. Seemed like a good idea at the time.