Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA not for everyone?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA not for everyone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 02:07 PM
STYLES is my name

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMA not for everyone?

I have been a member of the AMA for two years now and have decided to let it go. I DONT ADVISE THIS FOR BEGINNERS ( New guys need it). Let me explain myself. I have been building and flying for 20 years now with very few mistakes. I understand not everyone has this kind of "luck". I fly at a private field with a few of my close friends. Some of the guys have been flying for 35 years without AMA insurance. I just dont see the need for it anymore unless your flying around a crowd of people you dont know. Everybody at our field understands the risks involved with props and fast moving aircraft. We also understand that we could be held liable for any accident ( Somethng that all RC operators should understand). I agree that a big problem with AMA and it policies has to do with some people( Not just the older ones ) have a little too much " pride" in this sport. And they do literally run-off some people from local flying fields. I have had it happen to me even though I had a valid AMA card on the Freq. board..... I wasnt a member and the "guys" didnt know me. So what did they do? Well what any responsible adult would do. They yelled at me during my flight " HEY KID LAND IT ! " First of all I am not a "kid" I am 40 . Second I was flying a 1/5 JU-87 and it is not an easy plane to land even when your not mad . After a perfect landing I asked why and they said that I didnt have my card in the correct slot. In fact it was because one of the members wanted my freq. pin. Well worth risking my $3000 plane and the people watching me fly it. I just didnt understand why a group of older men would act this way. When it comes down to it I think that the AMA and some or even most of its members dont care if new people join as long as they have a clear sky to fly in themselves. Another thing, I have never seen an ad on TV about AMA , why? Seems to me if you wanted more members you would advertise somewhere they could actually see it. For me I dont see the need anymore. Dont need the magazines, Dont need the wasted insurance, And surely dont need the hassles at a "sanctioned" flying field. PLEASE DONT BASH ME FOR THIS POST>>> IT IS JUST MY OPINION
Old 08-22-2006, 02:39 PM
Dr1Driver

Default RE: AMA not for everyone?

Styles,

No bashing here. Your post was well thought out and well said. True, the AMA is NOT needed by everyone who flys model airplanes. I'm glad your group is responsible and realizes the chance of an accident with liability. I hope y'all's insurance is good. I also hope an injured member of your group doesn't get a wild hair and sue.

All that being said, your group sounds like the exception, not the norm. Many need the structure of the AMA for their flying rules and etiquette. Many know how to be responsible adults without coaching.

It all boils down to "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Happy flying!

Dr.1
Old 08-22-2006, 03:05 PM
SSRCCPREZ

Frankly, no bashing here either. It is when a non-sanctioned field infringeson the sanctioned one that I get upset. It is also when people take a .60 size to the local park and endaznger others that I get upset. If you are far enough away from the sanctioned fields dedicated to thew hobby as to not interfere and are not endangering anyone else other than yourself, like the rest of us, than I say keep the $58.00, better yet maybe donate it toa newbie who as you say "needs the AMA".
Certain states have more issues than others. Here in MASS. landis so scarce that any open space arevery sought after so wecovet that which we have. HAving said that, if anon sanctioned field cropped up within a mile of us, I would urge them to join us so we may all enjoy our hobby.
Look, insurance is there for when things happen that we cannot control. That's why they are called accidents. There is no law that says you have to have it to fly. You have homeowners which covers you to whatever extent you pay for. Things happen. as long as the safety of innocent bystandards isprotected I am fine with it.
Happy flying andcanwesee some pics of the JU ?
Old 08-22-2006, 03:35 PM
Dr1Driver

Prez,

An AMA sanctioned field has NO specific rights to airspace or frequencies, except over and on their own property. This was brought out several times in another recent thread. When the AMA club members at that field think they DO have a special right, THAT'S when trouble usually happens. I'm more than a little tired of AMA members and AMA sanctioned clubs thinking they have some special control over the airspace and frequencies just because "we were here first", or "we're AMA sanctioned".

It's this attitude that gets AMA members labels such as arrogant, rude, standoffish, clannish, and others that this sport doesn't need.

Don't anyone get me wrong. I've been an AMA member ever since I started radio control, over 25 years ago. The AMA is necessary, but has no special rights over non-AMA fliers or fields.

Dr.1
Old 08-22-2006, 03:37 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Again, not to criticize, but it sounds like your issues were with a particular club, not with the AMA as such. If I did not want to fly in AMA sanctioned competitions, I might not need the AMA either.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:50 PM
SSRCCPREZ

Dr.1,
I said that is when I get upset, is when things like that happen. I said nothing about having special rights. I further said it is when I would invite the non sanctioned members to our club so we could enjoy the hobby together. apparently you were blinded by what others feel is the attitude of some clubs. However, if there is a designated space by local commissionfor the safe use of r/c planes and others unintentionally intertfere with such safe operation, than I do believe that the specially designated sight by local authority (not ama sanction) does have more rights. Again local authority over designated space not ama authority. First come first serve. The question has got to be answered to the local authority why it is some do not want to use designated space. But this is not what we are talking about.
I think you need to re-read my post with themindset that I in no way believe because i bought an AMA card that Ihave more rights than anyone else. Frankly in some ways I have less rights.

I truly think you misunderstood my position here.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:57 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

This is impossible, the AMA is a monopoly! You're insurance will not cover you.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:07 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: SSRCCPREZ

Dr.1,
I said that is when I get upset, is when things like that happen. I said nothing about having special rights. I further said it is when I would invite the non sanctioned members to our club so we could enjoy the hobby together. apparently you were blinded by what others feel is the attitude of some clubs. However, if there is a designated space by local commissionfor the safe use of r/c planes and others unintentionally intertfere with such safe operation, than I do believe that the specially designated sight by local authority (not ama sanction) does have more rights. Again local authority over designated space not ama authority. First come first serve. The question has got to be answered to the local authority why it is some do not want to use designated space. But this is not what we are talking about.
I think you need to re-read my post with themindset that I in no way believe because i bought an AMA card that Ihave more rights than anyone else. Frankly in some ways I have less rights.

I truly think you misunderstood my position here.
Have to go with Dr1Driver on this. Designated space by a local commission doesn't encompass a 'frequency space' thirty square miles in area, and that is the exclusion area if you are to maintain separation per AMA rules. FCC controls the airwaves, not local authorities.
Your willingness to invite the non-sanctioned members to your club is commendable. I'm sure you mean only those among them that are AMA members, presuming that your club is AMA chartered.

Abel
Old 08-22-2006, 04:13 PM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

No bashing here either - but I will be "nit-picky". Since this may well turn into a quite lengthly discussion it would probably be best served if all had a common understanding of the following (it is basic to how the AMA operates in this case):

The AMA does NOT sanction clubs or fields. It sanctions EVENTS.

The AMA Charters clubs. An AMA club is, therefore; a Chartered club.

As long as you can fly from your field within the rules AND it is legal to fly there AND you have premission to fly there (assuming you don't own it) the AMA couldn't care less about your field.

Oh yes, as far as I know, there is only one AMA field and that one is in Muncie.

My nickle.

Dan
Old 08-22-2006, 05:10 PM
SSRCCPREZ

Abel,
when I said everyone I meant everyone. econd I am not talking a 30 mile radius of frequency, I was talking about real interference when there is designated space set aside.
yes local authority has standing over safety, and interference is a safety issue if there is space specifically set aside. However, we are speaking in the hypothestical and this is not the point of the thread. nor do I choose to continue this discussion point by point when the actual point of my thread was GO FOR IT AND GOD BLESS!!!
Old 08-22-2006, 06:37 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like to think my 'donation' to AMA is not for insurance, but for the furtherment of the hobby. If I didn't HAVE to be an AMA member to join the club I'm in, I'd still be an AMA member for that reason.

They are NOT perfect, but the best we have to work with right now.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:44 PM
SSRCCPREZ

Tail,
I said he ought to donate the $58.00 to a new member's membership because as he said in his post, he believed it to be important for new members to be AMA. I never said it was for insurance, what I said was that his HOMEOWNERS covered him to whatever extent he pays for.
Man does noone read posts anymore? Is plain english to hard?
I have had to break up my original post 3 deperate times and explain what was already clear.
I agree AMA isnot just about insurance andis suppose to be for the betterment and promogation of the hobby. I see the insurance as a benefit, not the purpose.

Old 08-22-2006, 06:48 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"I never said it was for insurance, what I said was that his HOMEOWNERS covered him to whatever extent he pays for.
Man does noone read posts anymore? Is plain english to hard"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I wasn't referring to YOUR post! I think you are reading something into it that was not said or implied, but you inferred
Old 08-22-2006, 07:43 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you guys even understand the concept of "Trolling" ?

geez. He got you. Let it go.

Dave Olson
Old 08-22-2006, 07:57 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Haveing your own privite field is great i wish i had the same, however i also like to be
able to fly at different sites should the need or desire happen. the only way to do that
in most cases is to be an AMA member.

It would be nice if you could go to any field and fly without being an AMA member
but at present that is not the case.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:26 PM
scoooper

STYLES is my name : this is the BEST post I've EVER read on this issue, thank styles, your bub, scoooper PS heres our private field, 1x 1\2 miles of it, an long as I'm there everybody flys,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36782.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	511592  
Old 08-22-2006, 09:34 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Heaven! You guys are very lucky!
Old 08-22-2006, 09:37 PM
littlecrankshaf

Tail,
I said he ought to donate the $58.00 to a new member's membership because as he said in his post, he believed it to be important for new members to be AMA. I never said it was for insurance, what I said was that his HOMEOWNERS covered him to whatever extent he pays for.
Man does noone read posts anymore? Is plain english to hard?
I have had to break up my original post 3 deperate times and explain what was already clear.
I agree AMA isnot just about insurance andis suppose to be for the betterment and promogation of the hobby. I see the insurance as a benefit, not the purpose.

BTW do you read yours?
Old 08-22-2006, 09:42 PM
littlecrankshaf

Abel,
when I said everyone I meant everyone. econd I am not talking a 30 mile radius of frequency, I was talking about real interference when there is designated space set aside.
yes local authority has standing over safety, and interference is a safety issue if there is space specifically set aside. However, we are speaking in the hypothestical and this is not the point of the thread. nor do I choose to continue this discussion point by point when the actual point of my thread was GO FOR IT AND GOD BLESS!!!
I guess you don't
Old 08-23-2006, 12:14 AM
scoooper

littlecrankshaf :thar be lice!!!! bring on the nit-picker, your toothpick may have expired but you nit-pick ain't, just a jab, no harm done, your bub scoooper

Name:	Tr50355.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	511718  
Old 08-23-2006, 12:18 AM
scoooper

littlecrankshaf : you come fly with us anytime!!your bub, scoooper PS I do a little nit-pick'in myself,

Name:	Us53755.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	511726  
Old 08-23-2006, 10:18 AM
KidEpoxy

while I dont generally agree with SSRCCPREZ, I do this time....
Lets see some pics of the OP's Stuka!

---edit for clarity: I only agree with need to to see the plane pic---
Old 08-23-2006, 10:45 AM
littlecrankshaf

Kid

His response about a "thirty mile radius" to a previous assertion of about 30 square miles is in error. No way to escape the math.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:23 AM
KidEpoxy

Do we really have to hash out the old ClubField vs RenegadeField again here?

The OP put up a nice, not too hard on anyone post about the club field and flying elsewhere. Why drag up the FreqFight.... cant we just let it go this time.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:20 PM
STYLES is my name

Hey guys, about some picts of the Stuka. I recently sold it with alot of other old RC stuff but I do have some old printed picts of it. My scanner is not working with my new PC so I will try to get one of my friends to scan and post them for me. Actually I'd like to post all of my clubs planes , past and present. I'll be working on this and hopefully get it done soon.I am being shipped out in a few weeks ( Air-Force) hopefully I'll get it done before then. By the way they're sending me to Guam. Thats in the middle of the Pacific ,east of the Phillipines and South of Japan.[sm=drowning.gif] About the Freq. debate, I believe that anyone has a right to any channel anywhere they want as long as they notify nearby flying fields. I have heard of flying fields being as close as a mile to each other and dividing the channels between the two. There are lots of channels to choose from and I doubt that even two fields could get that many planes in the air at one time. Happy flying , Styles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.