Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Is AMA a monopoly

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: A poll
yes
60.71%
no
39.29%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Is AMA a monopoly

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 12:21 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is AMA a monopoly

ORIGINAL: 50%plane

Exactly! I'm saying it's a monopoly for me as it the only "insurance" that I have. Other than that, there's no monopoly about it except for the fact that the AMA offers a bag of crap that many RC pilots buy into. Still, that doesn't make it a monopoly.

Just because it your only form of insurance doesn't make it a monopoly. It may make you unprepared, but it does not make AMA a monopoly.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:44 PM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

I could care less if you ever get your program going, it will not affect my modeling experience at all. I build and fly real models; not little pieces of foam.
Your're the one spouting off all the time about how simple everything is to do, I just thought that, according to your previous posts, that setting this up would be a no brainer.
Guess it's not so simple after all.
Jon
Old 08-23-2006, 01:33 PM
abel_pranger

quote ORIGINAL: 50%plane

Good post, Chris.

I think this cite is especially germane and concise:

"Investopedia Says: Monopoly is the extreme case in capitalism. Most believe that, with few exceptions, the system just doesn't work when there is only one provider of a good or service because there is no incentive to improve it to meet the demands of consumers. Governments attempt to prevent monopolies from arising through the use of antitrust laws.

Monopoly is an emotion charged word. I think the essence of what really bugs people isn't 'monopoly' per se, with all the argument over semantics that word stirs up. The real issue is included in your quote: "only one provider of a good or service because there is no incentive to improve it.... "

I didn't join SFA while they were around, but I did appreciate the existence of that organization. From a member's POV, AMA was a better organization then, just because SFA was there.

Abel

Old 08-23-2006, 01:44 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Because AMA has the ONLY insurance specifically designed for RC/CL/FF modelers AND.......................AND they dictate to thier chartered clubs that members must have AMA insurance..............I do believe they are effectively an insurance monopoly. That has been my opinion of them all along. The DVP's and their little columns always appeared to be a dog and pony show to give the appearance the AMA is something more than insurance and a Magazine. In todays language, each club is an independent cell, (watch HLS computors latch on to RCU now ). You and I should have some other term to describe ourselves besides the AMA. IT confuses the issue. I'm the AMA. You are the AMA. They are the AMA. THe AMA sucks. We refer to the AMA in so many ways. But there is the Muncie AMA and there is us. We were the AMA. Now they are the AMA. IF we ain't them, and we are forced to use their stuff...........then that is a monopoly or a monop-bully.
Not for profit ! Don't make me laugh. That just means that you spent everything !!! Hey , look at me..........I'm not for profit. Imagine me holding out my empty pockets.
This "club" thing is a marketing ploy. Or at least it very well could be. What is the difference ? Intent. Prove intent. Can't. So, whats left? Perception. Do they act like a national club or do they act like an insurance and magazine monopoly ? Hmm. Well, do they listen and respond to their membership ? Hard to say. The dog and pony show is well polished. You would have to split some fine hairs to actually prove that the AMA is a monopoly. But everyone in the AMA knows what it FEELs like !!!
So maybe the test..............isn't a another insurance company in a court fighting for its right to insure members at AMA feilds. Maybe the test is a class action filed by the members because we are not allowed to purchase insurance elsewhere. Gee, I wonder if one of the worlds 478 million lawyers read that. (Blood in the water, blood in the water.)
See.............thats the problem. If you really want to know the answer........then you must destroy the AMA to find out. Hey.........remember the AMA ? ..........................yep, turned out it is was a club........went broke, didn't they ? Yep, a very not for profit club.
Oh, the short answer. There is no way to know.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:05 PM
STYLES is my name

I think it is a monopoly. Like I said in another post, I dont use them anymore for insurance. Maybe I would if I wanted to fly at another field ,but that is only because I would HAVE to. that means if you want to fly at any public field you are FORCED to have AMA coverage. when I can go to a local club field and fly without an AMA "license" I will chage my mind. AMA should also have reduced rates for established and safe pilots. The only reduced rates offered now are for people that are like 100 years old and those who want to buy coverage for the next 75 years.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:17 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: STYLES is my name

Maybe I would if I wanted to fly at another field ,but that is only because I would HAVE to. that means if you want to fly at any public field you are FORCED to have AMA coverage. when I can go to a local club field and fly without an AMA "license" I will chage my mind. .
Pay dirt!

AMA requires NON club members to subsidize chartered clubs whether the member desires to or not...No choice makes them monopolistic.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:19 PM
LonestarMan

Hey!!! I just saved a bunch of money on my AMA insurance and club dues by switchin' to NONE!!! [sm=lol.gif]
Old 08-23-2006, 03:54 PM
Ken Erickson

A reply to all af you!!!

Yes, the AMA is a Monopoly. But you all have missed the point entirely (except for those who want to buy their own insurance and fly by themselves, or a group of such minded people).

The AMA is the ONLY organization providing the service of co-ordinating competitive sport flying of model airplanes in the United States of America!!!!!!! This is because the National Aeronautical Association has an agreement with the AMA that this is so.

The NAA has an agreement with the FAI (3 French words, I know what they are, but thought to be just a bit facetious somewhere in this sermon), which is the governing body for Sport Aviation in the WORLD. Check out the record book, there is everything in there from passenger planes to 1/2 A C/L racers.

That is the AMA. The rest of it is for promotion of the hobby/sport.

The AMA is to Model Aviation, and I don't mean the nice magazine, as the NCAA is to College sports!!

Yes, they have expanded by offering liability insurance to the membership and to landowners. How many fewer flying fields would there be if we could not offer the landlord the liability insurance? Our landlord is a member of the club. He watches that we are in compliance.

Ken Erickson
Old 08-23-2006, 04:18 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

If we put up a poll and ask if Santa Claus is a real person I bet we'll get more then 50% response to that as well. People are polling their opinions, but at the end of the day the AMA is not even close to what it commonly defined as a monopoly, not even by a longshot.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:23 PM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I pretty much base my answer on this document by the ama. You cannot dual charter a club, it's either ama or hit the highway so.....

http://www.modelaircraft.org/PDF-Files/909.pdf

Unicorn,
Loch Ness Monster,
Big Foot
and Dual Charter
Each is a Myth!!!
Like the unicorn, loch ness monster, and big foot—dual chartering, using the same club
name, is a myth.
The same name cannot be used to charter a club with both the AMA and any other
organization. An AMA chartered club is a unique, identifiable entity which is composed
exclusively of AMA members and is protected by AMA insurance.
An AMA chartered club is protected by AMA insurance because all club members must
be members of AMA, and all members must follow the current
AMA club insurance does not extend to non AMA
members except under the siteowner’s provisions and the special instruction programs.
An AMA member may belong to other organizations*, but an AMA club must be
chartered only with the AMA and cannot be chartered with any other organization. If a
club does plan to also charter with another organization, it must do so under a different
name.
Maintaining the unique name and organizational identity of the AMA club conforms to
the AMA bylaws and simplifies complex insurance matters in the event of a claim. For
the same reasons, sanctioning an event with two organizations voids the event, and the
event will not be recognized by AMA.
Support the uniqueness of your AMA club, and enjoy all the benefits that AMA has to
offer.
Official AMA National
Model Aircraft Safety Code.
* An AMA member may also belong to the special interest groups listed on the back of this document, join
other related organizations or be a part of completely unrelated organizations, national or foreign. There
are no restrictions.
dtp\graphics\cdr\insur\dualchrt.cdr 3/99
TM
Old 08-23-2006, 04:48 PM
STLPilot

You cannot dual charter a club, it's either ama or hit the highway so.....
Sure you can, you just can't use the same name, but you just put up a red flag for stupidity. Ever heard the term conflict of interest? There is a legal reason for this and the same rules applies in the common business world. Again, not to restrict anything, but to protect the integrity of the AMA and to protect the club. In fact I think it's quite nice of the AMA for putting that rule, gives people who don't know much about the law a simple solution. I'm surprised they didn't say ... "hey stupid" somewhere in that rule, guess they are nice.

Whose going to pay whom once there is an incident? You only shoot yourself in the foot if you dual charter a "club". You hurt something then charter A can say it's not my charter, then charter B can say it's not my charter. Then you wind up in court because of your clubs stupidity. Insurance companies thrive on stupidity, not their fault, yours.

Why would you dual charter a "club", that makes 0 sense. But you can certainly dual charter a flying site with ease.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:06 PM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bringing up stuff from the past.... at one time clubs that were 'dual chartered' be it under different names etc were given a choice of either loosing the ama charter or dropping the other... At least that's what some of the past clubs have said...
Old 08-23-2006, 05:10 PM
STLPilot

ORIGINAL: jonkoppisch
Bringing up stuff from the past.... at one time clubs that were 'dual chartered' be it under different names etc were given a choice of either loosing the ama charter or dropping the other... At least that's what some of the past clubs have said...
Right and that's how it should be, how else to tell a club that they are morons for dual chartering a club. The AMA must be respresented properly, very common. Either way, it's still just the name. But like a Brit once wrote .... what's in a name???

Hi, I'm Larry, this is my brother Daryl and my other brother Daryl. Sounds kind of funny, huh.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:15 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: STLPilot

ORIGINAL: jonkoppisch
Right and that's how it should be, how else to tell a club that they are morons for dual chartering a club. The AMA must be respresented properly, very common. Either way, it's still just the name. But like a Brit once wrote .... what's in a name???
When, as Jon related, clubs were threatened by Maroney with loss of AMA charter, they were not given this option:

ORIGINAL: STLPilot
But you can certainly dual charter a flying site with ease.
Abel
Old 08-23-2006, 06:51 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: exeter_acres
Just by posting that... seems to show that you are simple looking for reactions and not interested with anyones real opinion......

oops...forgot to respond. Anyway people’s reactions are their written opinions in this forum. And as of right now the vote indicates about 75% here feel the AMA is some sort of Monopoly.

Of course AMA’s monopoly does not rise to the level once obtained by AT&T and such comparisons are pretty silly but for most of us, we can’t merely go lease some farm land or convince some good bud to allow the use of their ranch, AMA is a real monopoly, none the less.

It strikes me as funny that STL indicates that all one would need to do is just find some land somewhere and have at it…maybe somewhere in Florida…. But…. wait he lives in New York, I believe. I guess New Yorkers should just take a little 2 day drive when they want to fly their Sig Something Extra and escape the common AMA charted field.

Bottom line here; AMA is a monopoly of sorts but that in itself isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Monopolies can have some excellent benefits if desired. All in all the AMA does a good job but there are things that can be better. The problem is; a positive direction is much harder to take if the reality is not acknowledged.

In my mind a few things that can be done are:

Find ways to allow members to pay for just the services they desire.

Quit strapping all AMA members with costs associated with the Chartered club fields…a bigger portion should be paid by the clubs and that portion should be proportionate to club size. It is ridiculous to have a 30 member club pay the rates of a 300 member club.

Find ways to allow non regular AMA members participate with regular AMA members especially at the event level. AMA for a day is a great idea I think.

Educate the club officers more about how they can acquire or put together flying fields or even make their current flying field friendlier to potential members. Public parks and other discarded land can be used to good effect. Clubs should be commended, rewarded and recognized for making more fields viable to the average person.

Guys, we have a problem on the horizon and if we don’t take appropriate action now we are all going to lose, AMA or not. This activity that we love as a hobby has morphed into something more akin to a sport or pastime. There are enthusiasts entering at astounding rates buying fully capable 72 MHz radio equipped rtf models and there is no end in site. They are flying in parking lots, fields, backyards, and right in the middle of the road now. The snow ball has only begun to roll. If we don’t find ways to get these “new type†of modeler in some friendly confined space we are just shooting ourselves in the foot. Parks need to be put to use and identified for the new modeler that will never accept AMA. We need to start singing a little bit different mantra now. The old main stay strategies of being selfish or self serving are only a short term solution to a long term problem. Believe it or not unless the AMA and clubs recognize this soon it will be too late IMO and we will all be relegated to flying foam or doing without AMA.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:42 PM
KidEpoxy

Educate the club officers more about how they can acquire or put together flying fields or even make their current flying field friendlier to potential members. Public parks and other discarded land can be used to good effect. Clubs should be commended, rewarded and recognized for making more fields viable to the average person.
Isnt that exactly what STL is doing with his documentary essay on Opening Central Park NY to RC Flying ?
You dont need the AMA to show you how to get public lands, just do it the STL way.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:20 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: exeter_acres
Just by posting that... seems to show that you are simple looking for reactions and not interested with anyones real opinion......

oops...forgot to respond. Anyway people’s reactions are their written opinions in this forum. And as of right now the vote indicates about 75% here feel the AMA is some sort of Monopoly.

Of course AMA’s monopoly does not rise to the level once obtained by AT&T and such comparisons are pretty silly but for most of us, we can’t merely go lease some farm land or convince some good bud to allow the use of their ranch, AMA is a real monopoly, none the less.

It strikes me as funny that STL indicates that all one would need to do is just find some land somewhere and have at it…maybe somewhere in Florida…. But…. wait he lives in New York, I believe. I guess New Yorkers should just take a little 2 day drive when they want to fly their Sig Something Extra and escape the common AMA charted field.

Bottom line here; AMA is a monopoly of sorts but that in itself isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Monopolies can have some excellent benefits if desired. All in all the AMA does a good job but there are things that can be better. The problem is; a positive direction is much harder to take if the reality is not acknowledged.

In my mind a few things that can be done are:

Quit strapping all AMA members with costs associated with the Chartered club fields…a bigger portion should be paid by the clubs and that portion should be proportionate to club size. It is ridiculous to have a 30 member club pay the rates of a 300 member club.

Find ways to allow non regular AMA members participate with regular AMA members especially at the event level. AMA for a day is a great idea I think.

Guys, we have a problem on the horizon and if we don’t take appropriate action now we are all going to lose, AMA or not. This activity that we love as a hobby has morphed into something more akin to a sport or pastime. There are enthusiasts entering at astounding rates buying fully capable 72 MHz radio equipped rtf models and there is no end in site. They are flying in parking lots, fields, backyards, and right in the middle of the road now. The snow ball has only begun to roll. If we don’t find ways to get these “new type†of modeler in some friendly confined space we are just shooting ourselves in the foot. Parks need to be put to use and identified for the new modeler that will never accept AMA. We need to start singing a little bit different mantra now. The old main stay strategies of being selfish or self serving are only a short term solution to a long term problem. Believe it or not unless the AMA and clubs recognize this soon it will be too late IMO and we will all be relegated to flying foam or doing without AMA.
You make some very good points littlecrankshaft i have been thinking right along those
same lines.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:28 AM
STLPilot

Like I said, asking the RCU forum members if the AMA is a monopoly is no different then asking them if there is Santa Claus, you get about the same results in the end.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4661132/tm.htm
Old 08-24-2006, 05:37 AM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is like asking if the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) has a monopoly on those little stickers you have to put on your liscense plate. Or does McDonalds has a monopoly on MCNuggets.

If you are the only game intown with a service or product, you get all the business, regardless.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:40 AM
STLPilot

What your asking for are things you want, but make no practical sense as a CLUB ORGANIZATION.

I want to goto a Disneyworld where I can pay just to ride Splash Mountain too, what would that cost about $5? Nope, I have to pay over $60. ! If you know anything about NFP's they are not allowed to just sell ala carte products like a vending machine. You must buy into the NFP concept or you can find your own solutions.

Keep thinking and get back to us. Membership organization for it's members. Let's find ways for Six Flags tickets to work at Disneyworld too. Afterall they are just businesses and need money to stay in business. But who needs money ... who needs growth? Oh ... the AMA.

Parks need to be put to use and identified for the new modeler that will never accept AMA.
Are you talking about a public park??? Give me a break, parks won't do anything without a formal organization behind you. As soon as you show the parks you AMA info, then they become interested in your pitch. Parks want the whole package too, just like AMA MEMBERS. You think a park wants to reduce safety, organization or structure like the AMA provides because a couple people are pissed about joining the AMA? Parks deptment sees the AMA as a 70 year old governing body to safety and organization of RC, because that's what they are.

The old main stay strategies of being selfish or self serving are only a short term solution to a long term problem.
Selfish? You mean smart. The AMA's mission is to serve it's members. I like the idea of partnership strategy's but not just letting non-AMA members get what they want, how they want. No NFP does that, not even EAA who does over $100M in revenue a year. It's not selfish to focus on yourself, not by a longshot.

What you're asking for is for the AMA to give give give and for non members to take take take. Yeah ... great solutions.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:57 AM
STLPilot

ORIGINAL: CHassan
This is like asking if the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) has a monopoly on those little stickers you have to put on your license plate. Or does McDonald's has a monopoly on MCNuggets.
If you are the only game intown with a service or product, you get all the business, regardless.
Zackly. But here is the irony in the whole "AMA monopoly" thing. This was posted by the guy that started this thread.

I happen to belong to a non-chartered AMA club and it is much easier to orchestrate than another AMA chartered club that I am member of. Heck, doing away with AMA makes it simple. The non-AMA club is far better off than the AMA club in most respects in this case...Heck, the non-AMA field can even be used for sanctioned events if desired.
How could he belong to a non-AMA club if it's a monopoly? Just goes to show you that the AMA is not a monopoly on any level, like RC clubs or insurance or magazines or events.

I mean throwing a negative word out and help to start a storm is real easy, but at least back it up with facts. What we have is yes another anti-AMA'er who is labeling them as a monopoly because he can't get the products he need ala carte, not realizing the AMA is a CLUB FOR MEMBERS, not a personal vending machine.

Some may feel the AMA is a monopoly, but it's not, it's just the only kid in town. But anyone whose anyone can start up their own AMA or something like it, it's being done right now. A monopoly physically blocks it's competition from the market, somehow, someway.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:44 AM
KidEpoxy

from STL:
I want to goto a Disneyworld where I can pay just to ride Splash Mountain too, what would that cost about $5? Nope, I have to pay over $60. ! If you know anything about NFP's they are not allowed to just sell ala carte products like a vending machine. You must buy into the NFP concept or you can find your own solutions.
Not allowed to sell ala carte like hats, Tshirts, little paperweights.... the 32 JulyMA pages of Ala Carte Products that some members paid for & received, and I chose not to pay & receive.... like a vending machine. Maybe I'll buy up some 25 & 30year patches, and a Contest Director patch along with a AMA coffeecup & mousepad.

Why not make NatsEntryForm and IMADonations page 33 of the insert of all the ala carte products? They already make it an optional additional expense to get your 20year Patch or CD Patch of this Membership NPF Org.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:57 AM
STLPilot

Far cry between promotional items and core products when it comes to keeping your NFP on green light status. How about free patches and cups and sell the insurance for RETAIL price, not for what they buy it for. You think the AMA can just sell the insurance at $24.95 like you think? No, it cannot, for one thing it will lose it's NFP if it does not provide the other services which go along with the mission and their NFP status. Also the AMA would far to crap if it did that and the AMA has a mission to serve. Read up on NFP's, lots to learn. It's much harder to keep an NFP oiled then a FP. FP's can do whatever they want, NFP's have guidelines and laws.

Enjoy all it's benefits. That's the only advice I can give to someone how only wants part of it. Afterall it's a club.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:15 AM
KidEpoxy

If the mission is to promote, why the new charge to list events in MA? Seems a very core mission product, listing events for flyers, yet it got tossed into the Hat & Tshirt optional pay to play pile. That same mission core additional cost listing was offered for free by other magazines (ref: the forum, so take with grain salt)

I have no idea whether the do or not.... Anybody now if BoyScouts have to pony up some cash to go to a Jamboree, or is it a free service of BSA, kinda their mision core Nats & Regionals.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:21 AM
STLPilot

If the mission is to promote, why the new charge to list events in MA?
To promote the website! Like I told you before, the AMA did not invent this idea to get more users to the website, it's been done many times before.

For some reason the AMA members always has to jump to the conclusion of controversy first, without ever thinking the reasoning behind the efforts.

Either way you can still get a listing for free, can't you? Heck you can even update it if there was an error or change in times and dates for the events real time, how do you do that with a magazine?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.