Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

RC Airplane hits Paraglider - Causes Crash

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

RC Airplane hits Paraglider - Causes Crash

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 09:40 AM
SpeedersModelShop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Airplane hits Paraglider - Causes Crash

I wonder if this guy was an AMA member. The paraglider survived and does not appear to have life threatening injuries but he was helicoptered out.

http://www.sltrib.com/utah/ci_4282323

http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archive...ll.html#193136 - Scroll Down to about mid page
Old 09-07-2006, 09:45 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: RC Airplane hits Paraglider - Causes Crash

LOL a "park flyer" no less!
Old 09-07-2006, 09:47 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A 21 inch wingspan aircraft brought down this guy...Wow that is amazing. Glad he was not hurt. WOuld love to hear the stroy from the other side (RCer) as well. Both were lucky.
Tommy
Old 09-07-2006, 10:48 AM
SSRCCPREZ

I am glad the paraglyder was not seriousley injured. Man that must have been a hell of a 21inch plane!!!! Notice the r/c plane was well within it's 400ft altitude limit.

Sometimes accidents happen. Just glad there was no loss of life and that the news article was not anti-R/C.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:03 AM
Sport_Pilot

Notice the r/c plane was well within it's 400ft altitude limit.
Yes, but it was in a park, so he still broke the AC.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:27 AM
KevinSheen

It wasn't a 21" model, it was a 48" PSS (composite) sloper. The model did hit the shroud lines and aggravated an already underinflated canopy. The guy was apparently stuggling with it shortly after launch (the paraglider) and turned left (and closer) to the guys sloping the Point. This happened the night before Soar Utah was schduled to start. The CD / President of the AMA club gave a pretty full account on rcgroups.

Kevin
Old 09-07-2006, 11:38 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Was this by chance at the Point of the Mountain in near SLC? If so, it was only a matter of time before this happened there.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:28 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Wonder what the altitude of the pilot was? Anyone find out?
Old 09-07-2006, 01:11 PM
Sport_Pilot

Read the article!
Old 09-07-2006, 01:45 PM
STLPilot

Got it, first link wasn't working at first.

All is well.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:51 PM
ptulmer

Kevin, both articles claim a 21" span. Do you have a link to the particular thread you are speaking of? Seems kinda strange both articles would have it wrong, unless some lazy person at a newsdesk just copied it.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:58 PM
Sport_Pilot

It is also a bit strange that a 21" model would bring down a parasail, though a 48" one doesn't seem that much more likely.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:16 PM
STLPilot

unless some lazy person at a newsdesk just copied it.
That's pretty much how the entire news media works. Ever heard of Rueters or AP?
Old 09-07-2006, 02:29 PM
ptulmer

STL, I was being a little tongue-in-cheek there. It seems unlikely that there were two incidents, but what do I know. (don't answer that!)[sm=71_71.gif]
Old 09-07-2006, 02:31 PM
STLPilot

Ha ... I'm with you.

Too bad no one was at fault, this would have been a hot thread.

So now what do we cry about?
Old 09-07-2006, 03:10 PM
ptulmer

Sounds like the paraglider was at fault. Falling 75' and rolling down a mountain is punishment enough! No need to make him pay for the r/c plane. To tell the truth, I've though about getting one of the backpack powered paragliders, but if they come down that easy, geez!
I do wonder what the circumstances were, so when there's time, I'll go search at "the other site".

Pass the tissues, please.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:57 AM
P-51B

I searched the other site, but didn't find anything on it. Of course, that is likely due to my lack of search skills.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:14 AM
ptulmer

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565931&
Old 09-08-2006, 08:52 AM
KidEpoxy

The meat & potatoes from PTulmers link:
from the pres of the RC club:
The plane was a 48" PSS (composite construction) flown by one of the pilots who had traveled half way across the US to come to Soar Utah. I was told that the paraglider pilot was struggling with some canopy inflation problems immediately after he launched one hundered feet to the east of a group of R/C planes that were already in the air.

Apparently, the paraglider pilot made a hard left turn into the group of planes and the R/C pilot in question attempted to avoid the paraglider's canopy, but his model contacted the shroud lines that led to further deflation of the canopy. The hill is quite steep below this incident and the paraglider pilot and canopy fell approximately 25' - 40' onto the side of the hill, minimizing impact.
so the paraglider was in a drawn out critical launch failure process, and happened to hit a RC on the way down?
Old 09-08-2006, 09:42 AM
P-51B

Thanks for posting the link.

Old 09-08-2006, 12:31 PM
NorfolkSouthern

ORIGINAL: ptulmer

Sounds like the paraglider was at fault. Falling 75' and rolling down a mountain is punishment enough! No need to make him pay for the r/c plane. To tell the truth, I've though about getting one of the backpack powered paragliders, but if they come down that easy, geez!
I do wonder what the circumstances were, so when there's time, I'll go search at "the other site".

According to the FAA, who has the right of way? A full-scale aircraft, or an R/C model airplane? Didn't I read something from the AMA recently that recommends staying away from full-scale aircraft, regardeless of what type of aircraft it is? Let's say it was a police helicopter instead of a paraglider, and the R/C plane accidently got caught in the tail prop, causing the helicopter to crash, killing everybody on board. Now who's fault would be, the helicopter's or the R/C model airplane?

NorfolkSouthern
Old 09-08-2006, 12:46 PM
ArCeeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Let's say it was a police helicopter instead of a paraglider, and the R/C plane accidently got caught in the tail prop, causing the helicopter to crash, killing everybody on board. Now who's fault would be, the helicopter's or the R/C model airplane?
If same scenario, I think nobody's fault. The heli would already be in the process of crashing at 75' alt. into a group of already airborne R/C planes that weren't able to avoid it. In same case with a heli, I doubt if the R/C plane would alter the outcome of the crash to any measurable degree. Just an unfortunate accident in my opinion.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:13 PM
STLPilot

Didn't I read something from the AMA recently that recommends staying away from full-scale aircraft, regardeless of what type of aircraft it is?
The AMA?? What they said?? Who are they to tell us where we can fly or can't fly. As far as I know they just pay insurance if I damage something within their guidelines if I'm a card carrying member.

I'd like to know what the official rule really is. Unless there is actual intent to harm, I believe it would be an accident no matter what happened, even if it was a cop heli, no matter what the altitude as well.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:53 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: NorfolkSouthern

<snip>
According to the FAA, who has the right of way? A full-scale aircraft, or an R/C model airplane? Didn't I read something from the AMA recently that recommends staying away from full-scale aircraft, regardeless of what type of aircraft it is?
Anybody that needs somebody to give them rules to tell them what is the right thing to do re avoiding collision with a manned aircraft of any kind should not be flying a model airplane, or even a kite.

Abel
Old 09-08-2006, 02:13 PM
ptulmer

ORIGINAL: NorfolkSouthern

ORIGINAL: ptulmer

According to the FAA, who has the right of way? A full-scale aircraft, or an R/C model airplane? Didn't I read something from the AMA recently that recommends staying away from full-scale aircraft, regardeless of what type of aircraft it is? Let's say it was a police helicopter instead of a paraglider, and the R/C plane accidently got caught in the tail prop, causing the helicopter to crash, killing everybody on board. Now who's fault would be, the helicopter's or the R/C model airplane?

NorfolkSouthern
I believe in personal responsibility. Even if it's an accident, someone caused it. Was it the guy flying his glider in the appropriate place or the paraglider that turned into the club's known airspace. Remember that both clubs had coexisted for a while and were well aware of each other. In a reasonable point of view, the paraglider was at fault. Last time I looked, neither hobby required a license or certificate so the FAA doesn't even get involved.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.