Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

RC Plane paintballing sanctioning/safety info

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

RC Plane paintballing sanctioning/safety info

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 10:23 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Plane paintballing sanctioning/safety info

ORIGINAL: STLPilot

Littlecrank you've made my block list...
Wow! I made you list again. Just how many times now is it?

Anyway here are some words from mister master sir himself for you guys.

Theory? What theory? Flying an airplane while someone is shooting at it with anything is not flying in a safe manner

You won't get me to endorse shooting at planes at AMA chartered clubs in any way shape or form Kid.
It is clear that STL is backpedaling here. If he hasn’t any intention of supporting paintballing… way doesn't he just refrain from the discussion about establishing the parameters of such a event?

He is just whining and trying to get mommy to give in is my guess. A strategy used by good effect by STL all too often I imagine.

Of course, I believe ole STL will still be reading my posts and I know I would never block him…that would be childish and even much more so by saying such.

Unlike STL, I believe in our modeler’s good sense and am very confident that any club produced event would be run with great consideration for their unique needs and conditions. Although it would be great to have paintballing recognized as a genuine sanctioned sporting event with some guidelines to insure continuity from competition to competition, I do not feel the need for lots of regulation for this event in general, as is the case for most non-sanctioned fun-fly events.

Also his excerpt;

“The policy does NOT cover business pursuits; that is any activity that generates income for a member beyond reimbursement of expenses, except coverage is provided for an individual paid flight instructor.â€

Is truly misdirection and much BS as it relates to this discussion…this is not about a persons monetary gain. He is trying to deflect attention to his weak position with smoke and mirrors…a often used strategy used to good effect! His contention was this type of event could not be done safely.

What do say about that STL?

Old 10-29-2006, 10:27 AM
littlecrankshaf

oops... got excited I guess

Old 10-29-2006, 11:04 AM
brentp76
My Feedback: (14)

Guys, lets get back on point here. I believe that bickering will not accomplish anything is this thrad. STL I believe was not trying to cover bases. I will say that I have been disagreeing with STL for just about every post in the other thread. This thread is aimed at productivity, and I think that was his goal. I do not know that we should, or need to go after this as it is a contest. Maybe an exhibition? dunno?

Adding to the saftey that rat questioned, Rat, yes, things similar do your examples do happen once in a great while. That is why the flight path is set up as such that a out of control plane goes into an empty field..
Old 10-29-2006, 11:15 AM
agexpert
My Feedback: (1)

Having attended these events as a spectator and watching the safety precautions in action, I will say that it's probably the safest time to be at the field. All eyes are on the drones, all participants are well protected and the spectators are well away from the action.

There are some nay-sayers in every group, Sad but true. If you can't get your head around the idea that this event can be held safely and professionally, then....I'm sorry for your lack of vision and understanding.

Submitting your personal interpretation of insurance verbiage is not helpful and only serves to further the notion that some people REALLY need a hobby.

These events are safer than most things done at a fun-fly. They occur regularly across the country and they are FUN, both for the participants, (I would imagine), and for the spectators. Fun is why I fly RC...period. The more fun things we can do, the more members we will have in AMA and in our clubs

I know it's tempting to react to such things as a safety hazard, but it can and is being done safely. Unless we want our numbers to dwindle and fade, we need to explore every safe activity that could potentially enhance this great hobby and AMA membership.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:33 PM
Rat1

No matter how you do it there is nothing safe about shooting at a flying model. If the AMA does nto have something to say in preventing this type of activity then the FAA just might. There are already enough risks involved with flying RC aircraft but then add to the mix flying projectiles intent on striking the aircraft while it is in flight.

Just how far are participants and onlookers from this activity??? Knowing that at anytime a flying model could go out of control and fly most anywere makes it hard to keep the model from possibly injuring someone. Sure you might have the aircraft setup to crash in a field but who is to say the pilot can keep one of them from flying out of the control area if one should have a problem due to being struck by a paintball.

Ever see what a paint ball fired from a paint ball gun does to a door or fender of a car????? Not only does it leave paint on the car but also leaves a nice sized dent in the metal. Look at the welts on someone that was hit on a part of their body that was not protected by the safety gear.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:57 PM
agexpert

ORIGINAL: Rat1

No matter how you do it there is nothing safe about shooting at a flying model. If the AMA does nto have something to say in preventing this type of activity then the FAA just might. There are already enough risks involved with flying RC aircraft but then add to the mix flying projectiles intent on striking the aircraft while it is in flight.

Just how far are participants and onlookers from this activity??? Knowing that at anytime a flying model could go out of control and fly most anywere makes it hard to keep the model from possibly injuring someone.
Whew...the experts are here. The FAA? Yeah, that's it. They regulate shooting ranges and paintball courses too....don't forget golf courses. Lets eliminate all risks and make all RC pilots pass a proficiency test, written exam and medical.

Thanks for setting us straight , Rat1...you are clearly more qualified than the people who actually HAVE experience with this.

I needed a good laugh. Thanks!
Old 10-29-2006, 01:27 PM
Rat1

Ok them all mighty smart one. Who else regulates radio controlled flight and what we can and can't do?????
Old 10-29-2006, 01:53 PM
KidEpoxy

Didnt we just have 3 threads on FAA AC91-57 and CFR14,1-1 & 91-1.a-c ?
I hope we dont have to has that out again.

Rat- this belongs in the other thread- AMA Rule, not here. Since you have posted in that thread, I fail to see why you continue to post OFF Topic here..... the OP was very clear that thus is not the Should/Shouldnt arguement thread, please stay on topic & post debate in the other thread.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:00 PM
Newc

Not admission, not hot dogs, but the actual flying. Admission is not flying, it's admission.
I never said anything about 'admission'. I stated "Are you suggesting that holding an air show or fun fly where the pilots and/or spectators pay to register/attend"

A pilot at one of these events is paying to fly. Without registering - and paying any such fees to do so as are mandated by the club putting the event on - a 'pilot' is only a spectator, as he/she can't fly.

With your twist on the paying aspect, what's your take on the fact that the safety code applies to how a pilot flys and comports him/herself, and doesn't say anything about how a spectator - one who has paid admission perhaps - acts. Therefore, the AMA safety code doesn't have anything to do with the issue, including if a spectator chooses to shoot paintballs at a plane.

Actually, this could get to be a bigger issue - not paintballing per se, but any activities at 'funflys', 'airshows', etc. - since many clubs may elect to not bother with sanctions now that they will be charged to have it advertised in Model Aviation. My perception is that the major reason for many clubs seeking sanctions in the past was so that they got the advertising for their event in MA.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:54 PM
air mail rcu

Are there any videos of this activity?
Old 10-29-2006, 10:00 PM
Dr1Driver

There has been much debate on this subject, and this is not what this thread is intended for.
In your opinion. I feel certain if a Moderator feels this thread or any specific post is off topic, he will move or delete it.3) Dedicated shooting stations, (we use 2) are constructed and manned by "range masters". And what qualifies someone as a "range master"?

4) Spectators are kept well behind the shooter area, about 20-40 feet
That's not what I'd call "way behind". I believe the AMA specifies an even farther distance in pylon events.

5) No spectators are past the pilot station (so if for some reason a plane goes out of control it goes to an area where no one is.
Oh, so the plane is programmed to crash only in an unoccupied area? How do they do that, Mr. Wizard?

7) Pilots are experienced pilots, capable of handleing airplanes in adverse conditions.
In whose judgement? I've seen complete expert pilots crash. It's easy, anyone can do it.

I won't indulge myself in any name-calling. Y'all know what you are. However, I WILL do everything in my power, and use whatever influence I have, to prevent this "event" to become AMA-legal.

Dr.1 Driver
Old 10-29-2006, 11:19 PM
agexpert

ORIGINAL: Dr1Driver

I won't indulge myself in any name-calling. Y'all know what you are. However, I WILL do everything in my power, and use whatever influence I have, to prevent this "event" to become AMA-legal.

Dr.1 Driver

ROTFLMAO

Watch out! .... he's gonna use his 'influence'! ('I have e-mail and I'm not afraid to use it') Take the time to educate yourself a bit before you 'threaten' to use your 'power' and 'influence' on we poor mortals OK?

I'm sure no amount of precaution or safety measure would satisfy you. That's OK. There are people who only fly to the left, use no rudder and can barely land too. There's room for everyone in this hobby. Even the people whom I consider a safety hazard for even flying at all. (Perhaps an age limit or medical evaluation would be appropriate here).

I pity people who are dead-set against things they have no knowledge of or experience with. Safety is always the primary concern in any endeavor which has a future. Nobody is advocating anything be done in an unsafe manner.

By your 'logic', all RC demos and air shows of any kind should be banned. Go ahead and ban RC. I'll fly anyway....on private property

Hint: Don't drink and post.

The rest of us can see a workable solution to safety concerns which need to be addressed when planning any RC flying event. I'm pretty sure you won't be missed.

Before you feverishly type your clever response, please be advised that our hobby is dangerous by it's very nature and we pride ourselves on participating in it safely. And please...we don't care who you know, met, talked to or whom you thought may have looked at you from across the room at the last AMA convention. Your power and influence end at the keyboard as far as I am concerned and as frustrating as that might be, it is.

I think you're late for the homeowner's association meeting...now run along. (The other busy-bodies are waiting).
Old 10-29-2006, 11:23 PM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: agexpert

I think you're late for the homeowner's association meeting...now run along. (The other busy-bodies are waiting).

ROTFLMAOPIMP
Old 10-30-2006, 12:33 AM
KidEpoxy

However, I WILL do everything in my power, and use whatever influence I have, to prevent this "event" to become AMA-legal.
unless your influence & abilities include Time Travel back to 2005 in the Norco-Riverside area, I dont see you getting the authorization Corana got over the phone to become UnGiven.

Check the AMA website, May-05, Sanctioned event with paintball.
It is too late to prevent it from being legal, you can try to put an end to it though.

Good luck on that, have fun. At least you will be busy doing that rather than posting in here about what you will do.... and I'm sure most of us are glad that you have spoke your mind and now no longer have to post in the thread.

Combine that with the distance from the shooters the planes fly at, and that aint so bad.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:39 AM
archerry
My Feedback: (6)

There has been much debate on this subject, and this is not what this thread is intended for.
In your opinion. I feel certain if a Moderator feels this thread or any specific post is off topic, he will move or delete it.3) Dedicated shooting stations, (we use 2) are constructed and manned by "range masters". And what qualifies someone as a "range master"?

That's not what I'd call "way behind". I believe the AMA specifies an even farther distance in pylon events.

5) No spectators are past the pilot station (so if for some reason a plane goes out of control it goes to an area where no one is.
Oh, so the plane is programmed to crash only in an unoccupied area? How do they do that, Mr. Wizard?

7) Pilots are experienced pilots, capable of handleing airplanes in adverse conditions.
In whose judgement? I've seen complete expert pilots crash. It's easy, anyone can do it.

Dr.1 Driver
WOW..................................... NICE........................................ Now that's power you can't buy anywhere.......................................... .........

If you don't mind me asking, how did you get this clout? I need to feel the power too......................

Like we have all said...if AMA (not you) says we will not do it, then we will not do it anymore at sanctioned events. It's not a big money maker anyway, just pure fun. Let's wait on their offical ruling....... In the mean time I will continue supporting it..............

Oh yes a reminder, let's add to this, AMA insurance is only secondary and only covers after the primary has been exhausted................
Old 10-30-2006, 01:00 AM
brentp76

Let me say that I am quickly losing interest in the idea of having productive dialouge on this forum related to this topic. I will say this. At no time (while I am president) will the membership be put at risk by having an "illegal" event at a sanctioned event. Now, I will continue working with AMA to ensure a ruling can be made for our club and this event. I believe that it will be in paintballs favor, as it has been in the past. I believe that the bickering that goes on here will accomplish nothing. I appreciate all of the support, and interesting conversation that has gone on here. It does seem that no matter what supposed to go on in a forum, it will be taken over by people wanting to take it another way.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:29 AM
archerry
My Feedback: (6)

You said it Brent....

You are absolutely correct....... Those who can't come up with reasonable arguments on what or how something should or should not be done, resort to bickering and flaming of others. They like attempting to throw their weight around instead of coming up with something reasonable or useful to add to these discussions.

There was once an opponent of just about every topic I would start here in the forums. He quickly lost his credibility when he would constantly flame me and others when we proved him wrong or brought out his narrow mindedness. It appears that he is no longer a member here on RCU, or at least I have not seen a post from him in a long while.

I've lost interest already too and I've posted only three time over the several threads on this discussion.

We need to make it more interesting........ We should tell them about our other upcoming planned FunFest events....... These will raise some neck hairs.............
Old 10-30-2006, 10:51 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Hey Corona guys. What you see on this forum does NOT resemble real life. Have fun with your paintball exhibition and don't worry the subject to death.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:23 AM
neurodoc

This is obviously something that is in the minds of all. I think that there is two points of view on this type of event. One is that it should be a fun fly event and the other opens it to an AMA sanctioned event where a "club" not member can profit. Safety guidelines must be simple. I feel the guidelines suggested by brentp76 are well organized. Should sit well with AMA.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:48 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Dr.1 Driver

Maybe by using the same computer algorithm that combat planes use.

Old 10-31-2006, 11:39 AM
brentp76

ROFLOL
Old 10-31-2006, 12:40 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Maybe by using the same computer algorithm that combat planes use.
You mean that documented, organized, supported and insured event called combat, that algorithm? Maybe that same algorithm will come in handy when you go looking for someone to bail you out of trouble too. We all know accidents can happen, that's why they invented insurance and organization to bail you out of trouble AFTER it happens, not before.

Paintballing RC airplanes is not RC Combat in any way, shape or form.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:42 PM
brentp76

STL, please make that post in the other forum... I really would like to debate it...
Old 11-01-2006, 07:41 AM
Newc

Thought that I'd re-post the following since I didn't see any reaction from anyone, even the folks most worked up on the issue. I'd really be interested in anyone's comments on where - if anywhere - the reasoning is off base. Perhaps there's nothng in the following that provokes any comments, and if so, so be it.

With your twist on the paying aspect, what's your take on the fact that the safety code applies to how a pilot flys and comports him/herself, and doesn't say anything about how a spectator - one who has paid admission perhaps - acts. Therefore, the AMA safety code doesn't have anything to do with the issue, including if a spectator chooses to shoot paintballs at a plane.

Actually, this could get to be a bigger issue - not paintballing per se, but any activities at 'funflys', 'airshows', etc. - since many clubs may elect to not bother with sanctions now that they will be charged to have it advertised in Model Aviation. My perception is that the major reason for many clubs seeking sanctions in the past was so that they got the advertising for their event in MA.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:04 AM
Epoxy Moxy
My Feedback: (3)

I have been following this subject and I think I have the solution. Quit the AMA and start a paint ball club. Purchase some land and invite some unsuspecting AMA members to use your property to fly on. Have the paint ballers set up in something like camouflaged duck blind. Now, won't the AMA cover it's members for damages? Or better yet forget about paint ball. Get permission to fly over a Golf course. Post a good looking babe at the Tee of a par 3, promise a Cadillac to anyone who hits the plane (I'm sure you can use a giant scale in this event) charge 5.00 a shot at the end of the day you have made some serious money and have one airplane intact, excluding pilot error

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.