Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

quick question

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

quick question

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 02:01 PM
Heli4Life

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick question

is there a speed limit on the ama?
Old 10-28-2006, 02:06 PM
John Hanske

Default RE: quick question

Not that I know of, as long as all ama safety rules are followed. Special licensing is required for jets, and you might check on the ama speed records in Model Aviation magazine...
Old 10-28-2006, 02:41 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Heli4Life

is there a speed limit on the ama?
Turbine RC airplanes are limited to 200 MPH fixed wing RC and 100 mph for Control Line.

Choppers with turbine s are limited to 2000 RPM rotor head or mfger.'s limit if less.

Night flying requires less than 100 mph and turbines are prohibited from night flying. Check AMA documents.

Actually as you stated the question, ".... speed limit on the AMA?", the AMA doesn't need a speed limit as even the snails out perform AMA's speed, with the exception of increasing the bureaucracy which is rather rapid.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:13 PM
Heli4Life

lol thanks.. just dreaming how the hell i can break a speed record now... how do they know that your breaking policy?
Old 10-28-2006, 06:38 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

how do they know that your breaking policy?
You don't need to utilize your benefits, until after there is an incident. If it can be proven that you flew your jet or whatever faster the the safety code, then that's when they find out if your breaking policy. In most cases you'll be the deciding factor on whether or not they will pay, you either tell them what you think you were flying and if you think you were flying faster or outside the envelope you tell them what you think is acutal, or you could just lie about it.

Also the AMA are not rulemakers, there is no rule that says you can't fly your jet faster then 200 MPH. The safety code does not say you can't do it, they just don't pay if there is an incident or revoke your AMA card or jet waiver if they feel there is a reason.

This is how all insurance works, no different.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:29 PM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: STLPilot

//snip//
Also the AMA are not rulemakers, there is no rule that says you can't fly your jet faster then 200 MPH. The safety code does not say you can't do it, they just don't pay if there is an incident or revoke your AMA card or jet waiver if they feel there is a reason.

This is how all insurance works, no different.

The Safety Code has more than a few rules printed on one page.

AM<A Document 105 Official Safety Code:
//SNIP//
SPECIALIZED SUPPLEMENTAL SAFETY CODES,
RADIOCONTROL COMBAT (#525)
GENERAL RADIOCONTROL RACING (#530)
GIANT SCALE RADIOCONTROL RACING (#515-A)
GAS TURBINE OPERATION (Note: Special waiver required) (#510-A)
STANDARDS AND REGULATIONS

AMA Document 510-A
Page 1 of 6
C:\PDF\510-A.doc 051015 ISM
SAFETY REGULATIONS FOR MODEL AIRCRAFT
POWERED BY GAS TURBINES
Approved by the AMA Executive Council (EC) on April 27, 1996, at the Board of Directors meeting
amended by EC on October 15, 2005 …(noted in bold)

It’s the flyers responsibility to comply and the CD’s responsibility to enforce these regulations!
All items apply to both configurations unless otherwise stated!

EFFECTIVE October 15, 2005
Airframe Requirements
1. The model may be equipped with production engine(s); kit built engine(s), built in
compliance with AMA Regulations for Assembly and Operations of a Kit Built Turbine
Engine for RC and CL Models; or non-production engine(s), built in compliance with
AMA Rules for Design, Construction, and Operation of Non-Production Gas Turbine
Engines for RC and CL Models.
2. AMA retains the right to exclude any engine, (individual or type), which is believed to
exhibit a safety concern.
3. For Turbojets and Turbofans single engine static thrust* shall not exceed 45 pounds;
multiple engine static thrust* shall not exceed 50 pounds combined.
* Manufacturer’s rating

4. For RC fixed wing aircraft: The maximum velocity will be 200 mph.
For rotary wing aircraft: The output power of the turbine shall be governed such that the
rotor head speed does not exceed the manufacturer’s recommended RPM for any rotor
head component. In no case may the rotor head speed exceed 2000 RPM.
For control line aircraft the gross weight limit is 20 pounds. The maximum aircraft
velocity allowed is 100 mph.
//snip//
THAT, SIR, CONSTITUTES ADDITIONAL SAFETY CODE FOR TURBINES.

And for anyone wanting to establish a SPEED RECORD with a model airplane, then there are a number of rules that you must follow. The Federation Aeronautique (sp?) Internationale establishes civil aviation records. The National Aeronautical Association is the US unit for those records. The AMA is a sub part of the NAA. If you want to be recognized as an aviation record holder, either 1:1 scale or other, then that is the route you must take.

Old 10-28-2006, 08:08 PM
STLPilot

NVM.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:57 PM
gunfighter
My Feedback: (1)

Open mouth - insert foot STL!!!

Once again you have proven that you know NOTHING about that which you speak of!
Old 10-28-2006, 09:02 PM
Newc

From the May 1999 Model Aviation -
There was a contest at Whittier Narrows, California December 6, 1998 for Toys for Tots, and two Speed records were set. Jim Rhoades, Formula 40 record-holder at 160.2 mph, upped it to 161.87 flying his bright-yellow Nelson .40-powered airplane built by the late Bill Nusz. Jim uses a carbon-fiber propeller, 7 7/8 diameter by 7 3/4 pitch, and top speed during the flight was approximately 170 mph. The FABS Team used Connie Aloise's .21 Sport Speed model and wiped out Frank Puleo's record of 154.8 mph. Connie's airplane, powered by one of Carlos Aloise's ACE (Aloise Competition Engines) engines, turned a speed just less than 159 mph! The propeller was clipped during landing, so the backup flight was 156 mph. These records are impressive!
Are you saying that AMA no longer does control line speed events? If AMA still does this event, how is that reconciled with the 'speed limit' for control line as was quoted earlier?
Old 10-28-2006, 09:04 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

that is not a blanket speed limit.

i believe it only applys to turbine powered aircraft.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:08 PM
STLPilot

The Safety Code has more than a few rules printed on one page.
Sorry but where are the rules in the safety code? Those are limitations on the insurance, not rules. Safety-code, not rule-book. Rules are established under a higher authority, and the AMA ain' no higher authority.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:10 PM
KidEpoxy

As far as the AMA goes read rule number 3 of the code, that's the don't do dumb stuff rule.
Sorry but where are the rules in the safety code? Those are limitations on the insurance, not rules
which STL is right, the STL calling SC#3 a rule, ot the STL that says they are not rules?

Dont forget the club site, the Club may have rules that you must obey the Safety Code & AMA rules (that might not be rules)
Old 10-29-2006, 06:26 AM
Newc

You're most likely correct. Don't know why Horace started focusing on turbines, as I will wager that the original poster didn't have turbines in mind when he/she asked the question since a turbine pilot is quite likely to have been briefed on turbine rules as he/she got the requisite waiver.

To get the original poster's question back on what I perceive is the correct track, how about rephrasing it this way...

Is there an AMA speed limit for fixed-wing non-turbine RC or control line planes?
Old 10-29-2006, 08:07 PM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: Newc

You're most likely correct. Don't know why Horace started focusing on turbines, as I will wager that the original poster didn't have turbines in mind when he/she asked the question since a turbine pilot is quite likely to have been briefed on turbine rules as he/she got the requisite waiver.

To get the original poster's question back on what I perceive is the correct track, how about rephrasing it this way...

Is there an AMA speed limit for fixed-wing non-turbine RC or control line planes?
It was not mine or is it yours to judge what the original post," is there a speed limit on the ama?" means or the author's intent. Therefore I answered his question, the first sentence with a subject of turbine airplanes. Not a focus but because speed limits exist only for turbine powered airplanes. There are no speed limits for CL Speed Competition which includes Pulse-Jet models, but if you don't know, a pulse-jet does not constitute a turbine jet.

Then when the Guru of Ignorance injected that the AMA Safety Code did not have such 'rules' I simply showed him where they exist.

RULE: 1: a prescribed guide for conduct or action (2): a legal precept or doctrine e : a regulation or bylaw governing procedure or controlling conduct: an accepted procedure, custom, or habit

Those definitions make the AMA Safety Code a guide for flying model conduct, therefore is adequate for me to consider it a rule of conduct while performing operations of flying a model airplane.

On your turf you can do as you wish. On my turf, stl, the Safety Code -- ALL of it -- applies and as far as you are concerned, it is a bunch of RULES.

So once again for those simply trying to find something to argue; KNOW your sh-t before you try to argue. [>:] Look at STL, he constantly argues about stuff of which he has not the faintest clue. I would think that anyone that gets shot down every time he bellows, would learn to speak with something other than emotion, you know like fact and specifics. Oh well, at least stl keeps us busy laughing!
Old 10-29-2006, 08:46 PM
Newc

Gotta love anyone who is able to work 'pulse jet'into a discussion. I remember those from back in the day of CL with my Dad 53 years ago! Noisy!!!! Wow!!! Someone actually put on a demonstration for our grade school of a CL pulse jet in our school gymnasium! Want to talk about loud? If you want to talk to me about it you need to shout, because I still don't hear right!

speed limits exist only for turbine powered airplanes.
I think that the original question has now been answered, but we'll see if the original poster still has any interest in the topic.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:19 PM
Jim Thomerson

There is control line speed-limit combat. Either 75 or 80 mph depending on where you are. I haven't checked to see if it is in the rulebook yet, but is flown at a fair number of AMA sanctioned contests.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:23 AM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: Jim Thomerson

There is control line speed-limit combat. Either 75 or 80 mph depending on where you are. I haven't checked to see if it is in the rulebook yet, but is flown at a fair number of AMA sanctioned contests.

Touche, Jim, you may well be right about that. There could be any number of speed related rules in specific competition events be they official, supplemental. or provisional, and certainly down in the local area, club, or even SIG rules. Those are up to the using agencies.
As far as official Safety Code items, which apply to all AMA Members (SC, General, #3) and AMA Charter Club operations, without specific waivers that may be allowed on unit or individual cases, only turbines are speed restricted.