Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Red headed step children fly models

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Red headed step children fly models

Old 11-03-2006, 09:18 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red headed step children fly models

Has anyone else ever noticed that the AMA has tons of rules and regulations regarding flying models but seems to devoid of rules and regulations for model cars and boats? Actually, I can find no mention of model cars and boats anywhere in the Safety Code. No speed restrictions…No size restrictions… No powered waivers…nothing! Heck, model ships that fire paintballs at each other would probably go unchallenged…well unless there is a STLcaptain in the hobby.

I rarely operate model cars since I primarily fly models almost daily but so far the worst injury I personally know of involved a model car accident.

Are flying model enthusiasts just so inept, ignorant or freckled that every aspect of their endeavor must be overseen by step mom?
Old 11-03-2006, 09:28 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Red headed step children fly models

Aeronautics
Old 11-03-2006, 09:38 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: vicman

Aeronautics
LOL

and whats wrong with Red heads????
Old 11-03-2006, 09:47 AM
littlecrankshaf

Benefits of this Association

SERVICE

• Liability Coverage for the Operation of Model Aircraft, Boats, Cars, and Rockets
Old 11-03-2006, 09:50 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

Has anyone else ever noticed that the AMA has tons of rules and regulations regarding flying models but seems to devoid of rules and regulations for model cars and boats? Actually, I can find no mention of model cars and boats anywhere in the Safety Code. No speed restrictions…No size restrictions… No powered waivers…nothing! Heck, model ships that fire paintballs at each other would probably go unchallenged…well unless there is a STLcaptain in the hobby.

I rarely operate model cars since I primarily fly models almost daily but so far the worst injury I personally know of involved a model car accident.

Are flying model enthusiasts just so inept, ignorant or freckled that every aspect of their endeavor must be overseen by step mom?
Duh . . . It may have something to do with the organization - Academy of Model Aeronautics is for aircraft (a vehicle for traveling through the air). You might find what you are looking for regarding cars at http://www.roarracing.com/rules.php or for ship models there is American Model Yachting Association and Scale Ship Modelers Association of North America. Then cars and ships are in most part limited to surface operation, with little likelihood of becoming airborne missiles. Of course if your purpose is flaming the AMA then we suspect your agenda would not be served by a little more knowledge.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:05 AM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

Duh . . . It may have something to do with the organization - Academy of Model Aeronautics is for aircraft (a vehicle for traveling through the air). You might find what you are looking for regarding cars at http://www.roarracing.com/rules.php or for ship models there is American Model Yachting Association and Scale Ship Modelers Association of North America. Then cars and ships are in most part limited to surface operation, with little likelihood of becoming airborne missiles. Of course if your purpose is flaming the AMA then we suspect your agenda would not be served by a little more knowledge.
Whoo! there Sherlock

Maybe you should get a hold and do some reading yourself...Take the time to read the Member benefits . It seems you need more knowledge...It clearly states:

SERVICE

Liability Coverage for the Operation of Model Aircraft, Boats, Cars, and Rockets

Duh . . .

Old 11-03-2006, 10:11 AM
KidEpoxy

There is a 1:96(?) warship sinking club in SFBay area California
They have CO2 scale ballbearing guns, that they do shoot at each other to actually sink the other ships on the pond.

If anyone has ever had a BBgun, they know what happens when you shoot across the water from a few inches up.
Airborne Projectiles

So the AMA Insurance would cover us enjoying that hobby, if we abided by the RC Warship Combat group's rules?
Liability Coverage for the Operation of Model Aircraft, Boats, Cars, and Rockets

[link=http://www.rcwarships.com/rcwarships/]RC Warship page[/link]
Old 11-03-2006, 10:15 AM
littlecrankshaf

Exactly Kid

The second line under services;

$2,500,000 Comprehensive General Liability Protection for model activities for members, clubs, site owners, and sponsors.

(Does not denote aero models only.)
Old 11-03-2006, 10:16 AM
Rat1

[link]http://www.modelaircraft.org/overview.asp[/link]

click the link and scroll down.

LCS has a point.

I suppose now people are going to need AMA to play with their radio controlled cars and boats.

It will be demanded by AMA members that everyone require AMA to play with these models. It will be demanded by these members that everyone be part of some sort of club to do so. It will be requested by AMA members to hobbyshops that the better quality cars and boats along with the better quality radio equipment be saved for AMA and club members.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:24 AM
KidEpoxy

RAT-
I'd be more worried about local muni's making Bans & Insurance Reqs just to drive your RC car around. They already have banned them from many parks, and I know you are not allowed to "Play in the street" on public hiway. Seems wherever you are currently driving wont/cant be affected by the AMA requirements, just like flying on your own property
Old 11-03-2006, 10:46 AM
Rat1

I am not too worried about it actually as I am one of them rebels and my town/county could actually careless were I drive these or fly my aircraft. Just like my firearms. I find a safe place to use them and go ahead and use them. For the cars and trucks and firearms I go to a local abandon gravel pit and have at it. The piles of dirt make great obsticals for monster trucks as well as excellent backstops for a 250 grain .45 long colt.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:52 AM
exeter_acres

ORIGINAL: exeter_acres

Still curious
Old 11-03-2006, 10:56 AM
KidEpoxy

I was using 200gr leads so I only had to buy one box of slugs to load acp & lc
just like I chose the marlin in 35rem so I could use 158 357 slugs for plinking loads

multitasking ammo, nuthin finer

but that doesnt change the AMA insurance covering modeling activities

Experimental Aircraft Inspections for models over 55 lbs.
so do I get an Experimental Inspection on a plane of my own design & I scratch build?
A Tried & True 60lb b25 kit is experimental, but if I glue a 4lb bunch of sticks together in a drunken stupor, without any regard to standards of areo principles because I think it can fly on the prop, that is not Experimental Aircraft?
Old 11-03-2006, 10:57 AM
littlecrankshaf

Nothing wrong with redheads in my book but I do kinda prefer blondes...true blondes.LOL
Old 11-03-2006, 11:08 AM
Rat1

Yeah, I do nto fly these large models so it does not effect me RIGHT now but I do nto agree with this rule that was created. Who is to say they will not make a new rule next year which brings the weight down to 40 lbs or 30 lbs. At that rate it would only be a few years before anything over 10 lbs would require special inspections and ceritfications before it can be flown.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:13 AM
KidEpoxy

Benefits of this Association

SERVICE

• Accumulated assets ($11 million)

hmmm, I'd like to use that service, please serve me with that one,
I'll take $37k... that will do nicely

what does that mean, they show you a bank balance and you are better served?
Does that stop planes from crashing?
Does that stop neighbors from shutting down fields?
Does that stop Muni's from banning PFs ? (actually, a little under the table cash just might[8D])
Old 11-03-2006, 12:58 PM
SSRCCPREZ

I guess crank shaft missed the fine print...AMA academy of model........AERONAUTICS!!!!!!

Feww......that was a toughy.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:17 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: SSRCCPREZ

I guess crank shaft missed the fine print...AMA academy of model........AERONAUTICS!!!!!!

Do you think that really maters to those dedicated to picking the pepper out of the Fly S**t. [sm=cry_smile.gif]
Old 11-03-2006, 02:29 PM
Ken Bryant
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read the ENTIRE thread before you chime in....

Old 11-03-2006, 02:40 PM
exeter_acres

still wondering what the original poster is infering about red heads
Old 11-03-2006, 03:02 PM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

They have CO2 scale ballbearing guns, that they do shoot at each other to actually sink the other ships on the pond.

If anyone has ever had a BBgun, they know what happens when you shoot across the water from a few inches up.
Airborne Projectiles

So the AMA Insurance would cover us enjoying that hobby, if we abided by the RC Warship Combat group's rules?

Do they have a weight limit on model cars? Can I operate a 2 ton model car. And if so can I sit in it when I drive it? If so then I think I will remove the steering wheel, put in some radio gear, and put a transmitter tray where the steering wheel was. Cause my car insurance is getting pricey.

I think there is some info on how to do this on MythBusters.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:06 PM
Sport_Pilot

Nothing wrong with redheads in my book but I do kinda prefer blondes...true blondes.LOL
Hmmm??? Why would you prefer blond stepchildren over red headed ones?
Old 11-03-2006, 03:58 PM
model.flyer

Assuming you own a car, where would U find what is insured and what is not? In the owners manual for the car? Sheesh.
ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

Airborne Projectiles

Do they have a weight limit on model cars? Can I operate a 2 ton model car. And if so can I sit in it when I drive it? If so then I think I will remove the steering wheel, put in some radio gear, and put a transmitter tray where the steering wheel was. Cause my car insurance is getting pricey.

I think there is some info on how to do this on MythBusters.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:58 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

still wondering what the original poster is infering about red heads
I'm not sure how it applied to the content of the thread, but it's an old saying. Before "politically correct" came about, it meant "the least desirable element". Step children weren't desired, red headed kids weren't desired, so red headed step kids were about as low as it could get. Considering the number of red headed kids in my family, I never thought it was too funny, either.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:24 PM
littlecrankshaf

I wouldn't miss you

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.