Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA is a real value!!

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA is a real value!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 05:08 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AMA is a real value!!

With this example, I am of the opinion that Guy B should not get a dime.
Each and every time we go to the field we should take the responsibility of being injured.
While we want to blame someone, to me it is the same as if we go boating with a friend and he starts the boat, and I fall out.
If I drown, I don't expect my family to blame him. I should have not been on the boat if that was a concern.

Now the guy visiting is a different story.
If it is posted, then I would say that Guy A should take responsibility.
Especially if it is posted and he was personally notified.
Then in both cases, we know the USA court system will be ready to accept any case from this kind of incident.

My only concern would be from Guy C to make sure he is OK and he is the only one that is not considered.

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

gonn make a clear hypothetical to see if we agree on what SC-GG is saying

Guy A is a neighbor standing in the club Parking Lot, he came to complain abiout the noise.
Guy B is a AMA Clubmember, trying to talk down Guy A calling the cops
Guy C is a AMA clubmember flying his 84" Twin Gas P-38.... who kas been flying with his knees locked in the sun... and suddenly collapses unconc from blood flow problems.

Now said 84" P38 does a wingover and sceams past the No-Fly line with nobody at the sticks, and Guy A & Guy B talking in the parkinglot each get a Fuse & Gas Engine to the head..... quick trip to the hospital and $75k of surgury latter they both hit up the AMA insurance for the exact same accident.

Guy A being a non-member gets liability over the no-insurance Pilot and recieves the $75k - deductable liability coverage from the AMA insurance.

Guy B is a member and only gets the $25k - deduct because of the No-Member-Member liability. He has to sue Guy C pilot to bancrupcy to try to pay his med bills

Guy C doesnt get a new plane, because it was DumbThumb excluded from model fire/theft/etc coveage, and looks at chapters 7 & 11 to find the best way to not have to sell everything he owns to pay GuyB

Is that about right?
Old 11-06-2006, 05:42 PM
Silent-AV8R

You are getting to the heart of it right now and that is that NOTHING is as simple as it looks at first. All kinds of things enter into it. Assumption of risk is one that you pointed out. Others are why did the pilot pass out?/ Was his belt too tight?/ Low blood sugar? A diabetic? Does he have any share of fault?? Was he under medication? Were there any other mitigating factors??

And I assure you that any party hurt in such an accident would have a lawyer on the case long before they even got out of the hospital. It is a fact of life.

But all this flies in the face of the certainty that the Internet has. No room here for the actual nuances of real life.

In a real life accident several things have to happen:

1 - the pilot needs to notify AMA HQ and file a report
2 - the injured parties need to file a claim against the insured's policy (AMA in this case)
3 - The insurance folks need to determine if the claim is valid. i.e. did the accident occur and was their insured to blame 100%. If not then things get complicated.

In all likelihood lawyers were involved between steps 1 and 2.

But the things I know for facts are that AMA does NOT try to deny coverage as a matter of course. They do make sure that all claims are valid and in accordance with the policy. Just like any other company would do. If they did not do these things there would be long threads here about how AMA just pays any old claim without any verification at all. Impeach the incompetent jerks!!!

As far as no member to member coverage, I have not seen that lately. The insurance summary and policy do not say this. They do say that a member's immediate family (those living with him) are excluded, but this is not atypical either. My homeowner's liability policy does the same thing. In other words, if my wife falls and hurts herself she cannot file a claim against our homeowner's policy or me. If your kid falls in your backyard, they can't sue you for it either. None of this is a typical, but it makes great fodder for the anti-AMA grist mill.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:49 PM
model.flyer

gonn make a clear hypothetical to see if we agree on what SC-GG is saying

Guy A is a neighbor standing in the club Parking Lot, he came to complain abiout the noise.
Guy B is a AMA Clubmember, trying to talk down Guy A calling the cops
Guy C is a AMA clubmember flying his 84" Twin Gas P-38.... who kas been flying with his knees locked in the sun... and suddenly collapses unconc from blood flow problems.

Now said 84" P38 does a wingover and sceams past the No-Fly line with nobody at the sticks, and Guy A & Guy B talking in the parkinglot each get a Fuse & Gas Engine to the head..... quick trip to the hospital and $75k of surgury latter they both hit up the AMA insurance for the exact same accident.

Guy A being a non-member gets liability over the no-insurance Pilot and recieves the $75k - deductable liability coverage from the AMA insurance.

Guy B is a member and only gets the $25k - deduct because of the No-Member-Member liability. He has to sue Guy C pilot to bancrupcy to try to pay his med bills

Guy C doesnt get a new plane, because it was DumbThumb excluded from model fire/theft/etc coveage, and looks at chapters 7 & 11 to find the best way to not have to sell everything he owns to pay GuyB

Is that about right?
NO

no the difference between bodily injury and personal injury? read the policy. unless U or your plane are, as an example, going around slandering an AMA member, most injury is gonna be covered.

U guys gotta quit reading the owners manual and the literature the dealer gives you and go to the document that actually explains how it works
Old 11-06-2006, 07:05 PM
Mode One

I started this thread in an attempt to voice my opinion that I feel membership in the AMA is a good thing! I attempted to break down cost of dues to the ridiculous: I.E. $25.00 for a subscription to Model Aviation, $25.00 for the insurance coverage, leaving $8.00 to cover the lobbying done, Muncie, the Nats, some remuneration for the staff, etc, etc... It is unimportant if I have the costs right, only that the total truly does equal $58.00.

For the life of me I don't understand the animosity to-wards the AMA! However, to each, his/her own! However, to those of you whom do not like the AMA, I have to ask; Why do you join? It's not a good enough answer to say: Well, my club requires it! Find a club, or start one which doesn't require it. I understand the costs might be prohibitive; but, it's not my concern, as I am a member of the AMA and I get these services for what I feel is a very reasonable price, $58.00!

There has been some slighting of each other, from both sides over this simple issue! Had we all met at a fun fly, doing what for the most of us is our most enjoyable past time, we might have become friends! What is up with that?
Old 11-06-2006, 07:42 PM
rcmiket

Because my club and the ones I fly at require it. I'm glad your happy with the "services" . I don't want the magazine nor the Muncie site. Since I pay dues and am a member of this organization I have the right to have a say how OUR money is spent. I'm sure there is a lot of waste( as in any organization). You posted earlier that you would not support the AMA funding local sites. Seems like that should be one of the "services".
Old 11-06-2006, 08:46 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

going to make a clear hypothetical to see if we agree on what SC-GG is saying

[snip]

[snip]
Need to add that Guy C is only one of others that is sued by Guy B. The site owner is sued. Since the site owner is relying on the AMA primary insurance, the AMA is sued too. The AMA insurance provider states clearly that they will not cover the liability of one member purloining another.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:50 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

ORIGINAL: model.flyer

no the difference between bodily injury and personal injury? read the policy. unless U or your plane are, as an example, going around slandering an AMA member, most injury is gonna be covered.

U guys gotta quit reading the owners manual and the literature the dealer gives you and go to the document that actually explains how it works
I just called my personal liability provider and asked if the liability only covers me when I slander someone. Once he stopped laughing he stated that the personal liability covers that and any physical harm.

Need to read the PDF on the AMA website that IS the insurance underwriters contract. Not the Blue Sky stuff the AMA staff makes up.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:56 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

ORIGINAL: Mode One

I started this thread in an attempt to voice my opinion that I feel membership in the AMA is a good thing! I attempted to break down cost of dues to the ridiculous: I.E. $25.00 for a subscription to Model Aviation, $25.00 for the insurance coverage, leaving $8.00 to cover the lobbying done, Muncie, the Nats, some remuneration for the staff, etc, etc... It is unimportant if I have the costs right, only that the total truly does equal $58.00.

For the life of me I don't understand the animosity to-wards the AMA! However, to each, his/her own! However, to those of you whom do not like the AMA, I have to ask; Why do you join? It's not a good enough answer to say: Well, my club requires it! Find a club, or start one which doesn't require it. I understand the costs might be prohibitive; but, it's not my concern, as I am a member of the AMA and I get these services for what I feel is a very reasonable price, $58.00!

There has been some slighting of each other, from both sides over this simple issue! Had we all met at a fun fly, doing what for the most of us is our most enjoyable past time, we might have become friends! What is up with that?
The insurance is less than $12 per member on average. Some years are more, some are less. This includes the cost of management. Most of what is left is to pay the 50 plus full time employees at Muncie. Ten years ago there were less than 25. Just how many does it take to make plastic membership cards???

Over 84% of the membership does not vote. To them AMA is required to fly where they want to. This captured membership is what has keep the AMA in business long past the time when it should have either folded or seriously changed it's practices.

Your professed contentment is founded on Blue Sky promises.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:07 PM
model.flyer

ORIGINAL: SoCal GliderGuider

I just called my personal liability provider and asked if the liability only covers me when I slander someone. Once he stopped laughing he stated that the personal liability covers that and any physical harm.

Need to read the PDF on the AMA website that IS the insurance underwriters contract. Not the Blue Sky stuff the AMA staff makes up.
Take your own advice.

Page 22 of 32 holds an exclusion for personal injury. No such exclusion for bodily injury. Took me a while to quit laughing at you, sorry for the delay.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:07 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

ORIGINAL: Phaedrus-MMVI
As far as no member to member coverage, I have not seen that lately. The insurance summary and policy do not say this.

Right! As an AVP you don't know what's in the polices. Better resign.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj24210.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	555561  
Old 11-06-2006, 09:13 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

Take your own advice.

Page 22 of 32 holds an exclusion for personal injury. No such exclusion for bodily injury. Took me a while to quit laughing at you, sorry for the delay.
I just love target shooting!!!
Old 11-06-2006, 09:14 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

ORIGINAL: Geistware

With this example, I am of the opinion that Guy B should not get a dime.
Each and every time we go to the field we should take the responsibility of being injured.
Until Guy B is you!
Old 11-06-2006, 09:15 PM
model.flyer

ORIGINAL: SoCal GliderGuider

As far as no member to member coverage, I have not seen that lately. The insurance summary and policy do not say this.

Right! As an AVP you don't know what's in the polices. Better resign.

now all you need is the definitions to show your complete lack of insurance knowledge.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:29 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rcmiket

Because my club and the ones I fly at require it. I'm glad your happy with the "services" . I don't want the magazine nor the Muncie site. Since I pay dues and am a member of this organization I have the right to have a say how OUR money is spent. I'm sure there is a lot of waste( as in any organization). You posted earlier that you would not support the AMA funding local sites. Seems like that should be one of the "services".
rcmikejet, I am a natural-born citizen of the great Republic of Texas, which is signed on to an organization called the United States of America. I do not like such "services" that this organization funds such as all the liberal do-gooders living off the public dole, millions of other citizens that refuse to work and donate to the organization, sending our better youth to fight in wars which the organization's powers have no intention of winning (Korea, Vietnam, Iraq) Foreign Aid, financial control of state educational systems, and a host of others, YET I am conscripted to "donate" to the "voluntary" Federal Income Tax each year an amount equal to many many times what the AMA charges me to be a member of its organization.

In addition just how many flying facilities have YOU funded? If you had any clue reference the cost of acquiring and developing real estate, especially in the vicinity of larger cities, then even YOU might not be so hot to make such a remark concerning AMA FUNDING local flying sites. Now if you reverse the question, the answer is one (1). That's my share, and your cue. [>:] You're on stage now!! [X(]
Old 11-06-2006, 09:44 PM
Silent-AV8R

I am referencing the insurance summary. Sorry if I missed where it says no member to member bodily injury coverage.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/PDF-files/500-A.pdf

If I am not reading this correctly, then I apologize.

Hugh - Please review the difference between bodily injury and personal injury. The exclusion applies ONLY to personal injury.

And why do you care? You are not a member so what is your interest in this issue beyond just trying to prove how clever you are (not).
Old 11-06-2006, 09:47 PM
model.flyer

I am referencing the insurance summary. Sorry if I missed where it ways no member to member bodily injury coverage.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/PDF-files/500-A.pdf

If I am not reading this correctly, then I apologize.

Hugh - Please review the difference between bodily injury and personal injury. The exclusion applies ONLY to personal injury.

And why do you care? You are not a member so what is your interest in this issue beyond just trying to prove how clever you are (not).
You did not read incorrectly. Bodily injury IS covered member to member. Personal and Advertising Injury is not.

Hint:

Definition of bodily injury is on page 12 of 32. Definition of as well as the exclusion of personal and advertising injury page 22 of 32 of AMA policy.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:25 PM
rcmiket

rcmikejet, I am a natural-born citizen of the great Republic of Texas, which is signed on to an organization called the United States of America. I do not like such "services" that this organization funds such as all the liberal do-gooders living off the public dole, millions of other citizens that refuse to work and donate to the organization, sending our better youth to fight in wars which the organization's powers have no intention of winning (Korea, Vietnam, Iraq) Foreign Aid, financial control of state educational systems, and a host of others, YET I am conscripted to "donate" to the "voluntary" Federal Income Tax each year an amount equal to many many times what the AMA charges me to be a member of its organization.

In addition just how many flying facilities have YOU funded? If you had any clue reference the cost of acquiring and developing real estate, especially in the vicinity of larger cities, then even YOU might not be so hot to make such a remark concerning AMA FUNDING local flying sites. Now if you reverse the question, the answer is one (1). That's my share, and your cue. You're on stage now!!

So whats your point?
Old 11-07-2006, 12:09 AM
KidEpoxy

I started this thread in an attempt to voice my opinion that I feel membership in the AMA is a good thing! I attempted to break down cost of dues to the ridiculous: I.E. $25.00 for a subscription to Model Aviation, $25.00 for the insurance coverage,
MA has to admit on the back page every month how it takes $18 from my ama $58.
MA ran last year with a $1mil Income, $2mil Spent plan... a recurring strategy for a big red ink cash hemorage full of ads

The Insurance is about $12ish says SCGG
Old 11-07-2006, 12:25 AM
model.flyer

I started this thread in an attempt to voice my opinion that I feel membership in the AMA is a good thing! I attempted to break down cost of dues to the ridiculous: I.E. $25.00 for a subscription to Model Aviation, $25.00 for the insurance coverage,
MA ran last year with a $1mil Income, $2mil Spent plan... a recurring strategy for a big red ink cash hemorage full of ads

The Insurance is about $12ish says SCGG
So you are saying that the magazine actually made in excess of one million dollars when you take the subscriptions into account? Not too bad. Sounds like a nice accounting trick to avoid paying taxes, showing a loss. You take the number of members @18 and add that to the amounts earned by advertising (1 mil?), is that right? Then take the costs of 2 mil away?

Good point you make.

Where does he get those numbers? Policy shows cost of 429000 for one and 334000 for the other. how many members? whats that come to? sure he has some clue about what he posts?
Old 11-07-2006, 12:36 AM
KidEpoxy

Sounds like a nice accounting trick to avoid paying taxes,
losing money hand over fist is not an Nice Accounting Trick

They spent $2mil of the $1mil they took in.
Where did they get the other $mil? They took it from the membership.
You must subscribe to STLs theory that if they take $50 from each memeber, then MA would be very profitable for AMA and Return $32 per member as Profit. Deficit Spending is not a Nice Trick.

If you get $1mil, how much of that should you spend? The answer is not $2mil.
They run in the red cause nobody will hold them accountable for doing so. The more they mismanage the magazine, the more AMA will just give them to run redder. One big happy Muncie Family.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:44 AM
model.flyer

That was your statment, not mine. If the AMA takes $18 of my dues, as you say they do, and if there are 150000 members, that is $2.700.000 taken from dues. YOU SAID THAT, not me. IF you then take the million that is raised in advertising and add it to the subscription income YOU STATED, and then take the $2,000,000 cost YOU STATED away, you are left with a profit of @1,700.000. ALL FROM THE NUMBER YOU STATED. Where do you think that $2,700,000 YOU POSTED ABOUT went?
Old 11-07-2006, 02:08 AM
model.flyer

in the immortal words of someone famous

CHIRP, CHIRP, CHIRP
Old 11-07-2006, 02:23 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

In addition just how many flying facilities have YOU funded? If you had any clue reference the cost of acquiring and developing real estate, especially in the vicinity of larger cities, then even YOU might not be so hot to make such a remark concerning AMA FUNDING local flying sites. Now if you reverse the question, the answer is one (1). That's my share, and your cue. [>:] You're on stage now!! [X(]
I certainly hope your comments here are to show a shocking corolation to a line of thinking about AMA costs and apropriations. Because if you honestly feel that way about the United States and the "Republic of Texas" you can remove that avatar of yours because that 2nd amendment belongs to the United Stated of America NOT some so said republic. And I am a member of the US military and I support the efforts and ideals that the current administration of this great nation and what it is trying to get done despite the efforts of the general public to sling bipartisan mud around the real issues of national security and Homeland Defence. To think any nation or person would enter into a conflict without intended victory is rediculous. Do yourself a favor and turn off the Communist News Network and have a little faith that the leaders of this nation want what is best for it, yesturday, today and tommorow, reguardless of their party affiliation. Or of course... you can go start your own country.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:43 AM
model.flyer

Either the AMA took the money as subscriptions, or they did not take the money. If they took it, they must account for it. if the accounting does not fit, you must acquit. guess you could UnSay.
kidepoxy

I guess one way to stop getting contradicting quotes is to UnSay your earlier posts,
presto- instant credibility restoration

No more problems with having to recant 22 and SC#3
No more problems with having to recant declaring it didnt happen at an AMA field

I think we all (RCU users) should get a few emabassing posts just Poofed for us each year, maybe 3 for freebies, 5 for paid members.... to stop folks from pointing out the blatant false declarations we spout & get called on.
use one of your UnSays now?

ps looked on the back page of all the mags here. no such thing as you say. maybe a GREAT time to use an UnSay.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:16 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Maybe someone hear would be so kind to explain this exclusion and how it relates to us as insured.

Thanks in advance. page 23 of the pdf
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26859.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	555829  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.