Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA Pilot Test?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA Pilot Test?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 07:19 PM
Zephirus79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMA Pilot Test?

I was told I could find a flight test to earn my "open license" at my flight field. He said it was on the AMA website, but I cant find it anywhere... could someone point me to it?
Old 12-10-2006, 07:27 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Default RE: AMA Pilot Test?

If you can't find it you pass. Welcome aboard.

There is no such test.
ORIGINAL: Zephirus79

I was told I could find a flight test to earn my "open license" at my flight field. He said it was on the AMA website, but I cant find it anywhere... could someone point me to it?
Old 12-10-2006, 08:06 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Sure it's there. It's the page that collects $58... Of course, you don't need the AMA to fly, just to fly at an AMA chartered club. It's not a license, it's an "open membership".
Old 12-10-2006, 08:08 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Only in Georgia, the navel of AMA Distirct V where the crown jewel is placed.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:18 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whatever an "open license" is at "your field" is definitely not defined within your post. However if you are looking for a fairly good example of a measurement of general sport pilot proficiency using a trainer and general sport airplane, take a look at

http://www.modelaircraft.org/PDF-files/535-E.pdf

That should give you something to shoot for.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:27 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Good luck!
Old 12-10-2006, 09:26 PM
YNOT

Will your test score have an effect on your AMA number?
Old 12-10-2006, 09:36 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, Horrace,

Looks as if the Chief Jerk, and his Toady are out in force this evening. [:@]

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
J.R.T. Member #4
Old 12-11-2006, 08:41 PM
gunfighter
My Feedback: (1)

AMA does have suggested criteria for "introductory pilots" (instructors) which includes qualifications which a club might require for a pilot to be recognized as an instructor.

AMA document #535-E

This might be what they are referring to?
Old 12-11-2006, 08:54 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice link H.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:11 AM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

I had a copy of the test but a barrel of propwash spilled on it rendering it illegible.

Give me the name of the perosn that said you needed the test and I will send the page to him. Maybe he can make out what was on it.

Old 12-12-2006, 06:14 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

There is no AMA pilot test, with the possible exception of turbines. Any such test is a club specific thing.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:04 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Test for turbines? Yea I've noticed at the AMA field many reasons for a test like that, but those reasons are the ones who can say if you can have one or not. I have a prop plane that can keep up with some jets (approx 170mph) and the're smaller (40 size) and more unstable, would I need this test?
Old 01-05-2007, 10:10 PM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: CowboyLifesaver

Test for turbines? Yea I've noticed at the AMA field many reasons for a test like that, but those reasons are the ones who can say if you can have one or not. I have a prop plane that can keep up with some jets (approx 170mph) and the're smaller (40 size) and more unstable, would I need this test?
I said there is a turbine test for turbine engines. Your plane does not have a turbine engine so why would you take a turbine test for a non turbine engine?
Old 01-05-2007, 10:38 PM
Desertlakesflying

If i decided to get one. I've really been drooling over that Tamjets Super Hornet. I fly a smaller plane almost as fast without issues. Wouldn't that be test enough? I'm just curious is all.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:53 PM
Hossfly

If i decided to get one. I've really been drooling over that Tamjets Super Hornet. I fly a smaller plane almost as fast without issues. Wouldn't that be test enough? I'm just curious is all.

If you're so curious then don't waste your time here with us amateurs. Go and find the information in the AMA Documents section.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/acrobat.asp

Turbine

48K 510-A Safety Regulations for Model Aircraft Gas Turbines
29K 510-B AMA Regulations for Assembly and Operations of a Kit Built Turbine Engine for RC and CL Models
47K 510-C AMA Rules for Design, Construction, and Operation of a Non-Production Gas Turbine Engines for RC and CL Models

24K 510-D Fixed Wing - Turbine Qualification Flight Attestation
7K 510-E Fixed Wing - Pilot Turbine Waiver Renewal Affidavit
33K 510-F Rotary Wing - Turbine Waiver Application

28K 510-H Rotary Wing - Recommended Patterns/Maneuvers
33K 510-I Control Line - Turbine Waiver Application

52K 510-K AMA Accepted Designated Contest Directors for Turbine Sign-Off
10K 510-L Model Gas Turbine Engine Manufacturer/Distributor Mailing Addresses

72K 510-M AMA Turbine Waiver Holders
26K 510-N Revoked AMA Special Waivers for Turbine Operation
40K 510-O Fixed Wing - AMA Sanctioned Event Statement of Compliance
40K 510-P Rotary Wing - AMA Sanctioned Event Statement of Compliance
14K 510-Q Safety Regulations for Radio Controlled Pulse Jet Engines
28K 510-R Pulse Jet Pilot Declaration

Asking for real AMA information here is like asking the troop selling pencils on the street corner about complex Internal Revenue Code questions.

BTW, you will find that you can get a fixed wing turbine waiver with a prop plane that flies over 100mph. Of coourse you have to find a turbine waivered Contest Director willing to do so.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:02 AM
aeajr

Turbines have to be handled very differntly. Turbine license/permit is more than just flying, as I understand it, but I am not an expert on the subject.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:31 AM
Desertlakesflying

Probably wouldn't happen....they get mad at me because my plane goes too fast.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:14 PM
Hossfly

Probably wouldn't happen....they get mad at me because my plane goes too fast.

Now there is a "cop-out" if I ever heard one.

When I was an active pylon racer -- '80's -- one thing I quickly found out was the FASTEST way to SLOW down that super-fast airplane I just built was to get it into a race --WOW what happened to all my speed?? [] One old cliche is "win a few, lose a few, and some get rained out." I proved that wrong as I usually LOST A LOT! [sm=tired.gif] Yet I kept at it until other things came along.

cowboy, methinks you are afraid to join AMA and go tryout for a waiver. Remember another old cliche, "Can't never can do anything." [>:] If you're not an AMA member then there is no requirement for a turbine waiver as it applies only to the AMA realm. I suppose you will never show us what you got, boy?[>:]
Old 01-08-2007, 12:16 AM
Desertlakesflying

Gee Hoss do I really need to break out the 20 dollar words on you again. that kept you quiet for months trying to look them all up in the dictionary. I guess as my freeloading rebel self, I'm not allowed to ask honest questions.

You would think someone as old and wise as yourself would have something else to do. Besides a good AMA answer, which I give you credit for knowledge of, is all I was really looking for. What if I was just someone that was curious about the regulations of the AMA? You all by your little ol self, and the more than not just like you, would have just done a perfect job of running me off. Exactly the reason the AMA and the clubs are not growing, and why I refuse to join. Great job Hoss what can you do for your next trick?

By the way Hoss I still have responsibility to my children and cannot go splurge when I feel the desire, and I'm not some snot nosed kid that has a Mommy and Daddy to pay all my billsand buy my toys for me. You want to see what I got in piloting or building skills?? Get your mangy carcass out here and find out.

Getting a turbine waiver through the AMA. Not like that takes much effort in these parts. I'd rather get it where you are than here. The turbine guys here with the one exception who passed away not too long ago shouldn't have turbine waivers that I have seen. Sad....the old guy trusted me with his jet, to put it together, to get it ready, and to help him with it cause I had a clue. He even wanted me to try the thing sometime. Oh well what do I know. you are much older and wiser than I. AND>>>OOH OOH OOOH YOU"RE AN AMA MEMBER WITH LESS THAT 3 NUMBERS. ALL HAIL HOSS.

Yes they get mad about fast planes Hoss. One of the reasons I did not renew my AMA card and join the club, along with all the other stupid good ol boy stuff they pull. Former AMA number 830129 Sorry to burst your little bubble.

All this BS over a lousy stinkin honest question.....GO FIGURE
Old 01-08-2007, 10:49 AM
Hossfly

"cowboy..."
By the way Hoss I still have responsibility to my children and cannot go splurge when I feel the desire, and I'm not some snot nosed kid that has a Mommy and Daddy to pay all my billsand buy my toys for me. You want to see what I got in piloting or building skills?? Get your mangy carcass out here and find out.
cowboy ..., one thing that you really have is an excuse for everything. You P & M about the AMA, us that are AMA, then brag of your own prowess, then you find excuses galore to NOT demonstrate that prowess.

Sonny, I, personally, don't give a small rodent's posterior about seeing what you have. I see here enough evidence you have a large problem with so many "groups". There are many of us that have made our own worldly way since we were kids. You don't have an exclusive ownership of that item.

Looking around RCU, events, club members, and the magazines, I see much evidence of many highly capable model builders and fliers out there. Again you are not an exclusive talent. Neither am I, but then I don't claim to be as I said in my post above.

Stay away from AMA/AMA members, join AMA or do as you wish which is permitted in this somewhat-free country.

All this BS over a lousy stinkin honest question.....GO FIGURE
How about going where I pointed you to, and reading the official answer/s to your question/s? The practice may assist your reading comprehension. It's easier than trying to assimilate the speculations you find here and the AMA INFORMATION costs YOU nothing. That is what you free-loaders like, isn't it? [>:]

Old 01-08-2007, 04:34 PM
Desertlakesflying

The only problem I have with groups is when only those members who have been in the sub group within that groups like yourself take it upon yourself to do the majority of the trashing. I could get on here and ask the most simple honest question in the world and Hoss would find some sort of personal attack against me. I've seen you do it even based on someones grammar, even though it was an honest question. It get really old to see so many of you glamour boys on here trashing everyone that doesn't fit your persona and scratch your heads about why the AMA is not growing. Get a grip ol man. I'd just like to see someone like you who has a huge amount of AMA knowledge answer a question without the personal attacks thrown in with it. Every stinkinthread in every airplane forum on RCU has some AMA member trashing someone because of a question. AMA or not doesn't matter. Common courtesy does, but I guess that was lacking in your generation as well as the current one. Be an ambassador not a reason for people to not want to join for once then rip my head off if I'm trashing someone who doesn't deserve it. I car about this hobby as much as the next guy, and I don't like people like you trying your best to segregate it to only people like yourself.

Former AMA # 830129
Old 01-08-2007, 04:46 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Every stinkinthread in every airplane forum on RCU has some AMA member trashing someone because of a question.
What in the WORLD are you talking about? You continue to trash the AMA based on your opinion of what, one person? While you are out there so far, check my fuel level. Why not ask your turbine waiver question in the JET forum? This is a more political forum and not likely to give you an in-depth answer on that anyway. Face it, you're trolling. Pure and simple.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:09 PM
aeajr

Folks,

I suggest we ignore cowboylifesaver's posts at it appears to me he is only trying to create an arguement and has little positive to contribute. His posts in other threads are of a similar nature and that is what I will be doing.

I recognize his right to his opinion and to express it. However that is what I will be doing. Feel free to debate his coments if you feel they have merrit.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:59 PM
Mutt

LOL All the experts come out at nite.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.