Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA Grand Event to Travel

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA Grand Event to Travel

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2003, 03:58 PM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMA Grand Event to Travel

Those of you who'd like to see a traveling Nats, partly because you see it as a way to make model aviation more visible to the general public, should be happy to see that the AMA is planning to take the annual "Grand Event" (GE) outreach event on the road. This event had been held at Muncie since its inception.

According to an article in the March 2003, MA mag, under "AMA News" the first traveling GE will be held in Des Moines, IA, in June of this year. Goodonya AMA!

The article goes on to explain that clubs are invited to bid for hosting the ensuing GEs in much the same way that they used to bid to host the traveling Nats. Clubs can bid to host the 2004 GE until April 15.

All are invited to read the article and comment.

CR
Old 01-26-2003, 11:46 PM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AMA Event

An annual Grand Event ,,, I only know of one such type,,,

The NATS

BV
Old 01-27-2003, 01:11 AM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: AMA Event

Originally posted by Bill Vargas
An annual Grand Event ,,, I only know of one such type,,,

The NATS

BV
No Bill,
Don't be confused. The NATS are grand events for competitors and this is for the rest of the herd. BTW, THIS is what I have been talking about since several convinced me that the Nats need to stay in Muncie.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:24 AM
Charley

Bill;

And you're a Moderator? You needed to read the MA article - as suggested - before you commented.

Strike one! ;^)

CR
Old 01-27-2003, 02:06 AM
bigbri
My Feedback: (287)

About 10 or 12 years ago the NATS came to my area...Man what a great time it was. I did have to drive about 3 hours. We got a hotel room and stayed for 4 days. I took in all aspects of this hobby...From control line combat to Pattern and even went inside to watch the penny planes. I will never forget that. One of the things that happened when Muncie was built was only a select few located near Muncie get to go see the Nats. That is truly a loss to all. I am VERY glad to see the AMA bring some events back on the road. Lets get the Nats mobile agian and promote this hobby !!!!!
My 2 cents
brian
Old 01-27-2003, 03:34 AM
Bill Vargas

Default Re: AMA Grand Event to Travel

Originally posted by Charley

CR
Charley, I guess you shouldn t have typed in the above

BV
Old 01-27-2003, 04:13 AM
phayd

The poster is correct, the grand even is June 6-8 in Des Moines Iowa, hosted by my RC Club, the Des Moines Modelaires.

Here is a flier that our club pres. e-mailed to us.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	50573_20409.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	31190  
Old 01-27-2003, 04:27 AM
esport33

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Charley

CR
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Charley, I guess you shouldn t have typed in the above

BV

interesting moderation...... I'm so confused. btw I'm going to Des Moines
Old 01-27-2003, 04:33 AM
phayd

You know, when talking about the grand event, being a "fly over" state is not such a bad thing.
Old 01-27-2003, 05:04 AM
Bill Vargas

Default Re: Re: AMA Event

Originally posted by Jim Branaum

No Bill,
Don't be confused. The NATS are grand events for competitors and this is for the rest of the herd. BTW, THIS is what I have been talking about since several convinced me that the Nats need to stay in Muncie.
Never confused Jim, Just Misguided at times

Sorry Charley if my comment upset you,,, No harm intended

BV
Old 01-27-2003, 05:36 AM
Charley

To Bill V,

I'm not offended by your sarcasm. I _am_ surprised that you chose to show your ignorance of the Grand Event by commenting before you knew the facts, even though I advised all readers of where to get them before commenting.

To make matters worse you've caused at least one other reader to confuse the Grand Event with the Nats or some other form of contest.

Good show, old boy.
Old 01-27-2003, 07:13 AM
Bill Vargas

Default Grand Event

Charly, The Grand Event is just that, a Grand Event. Its not the Nats nor is it a Traveling Nats( no such thing anymore) as you stated/suggested in you openning sentence. I have never heard of such an event till now but lets not confuse it with the "NATS" which is a permanent International Event held there at Muncie.

I hope that clarifies it for you?

If its your wish, you may delete your/this thread and begin a new/start over

BV
Old 01-27-2003, 03:53 PM
Hossfly

>>
>>>>
I have never heard of such an event till now but lets not confuse it with the "NATS" which is a permanent International Event held there at Muncie.

Old 01-27-2003, 04:22 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hossfly
[B]>>
>>>>
I have never heard of such an event till now but lets not confuse it with the "NATS" which is a permanent International Event held there at Muncie.

Old 01-29-2003, 03:19 AM
Charley

Default Making it Clear.

All,

There appears to be some confusion about what the AMA Grand Event, the Nats and AMA Homecoming are. Let me try to make them clear.

The AMA Grand event is an open house to which the general public is invited. Those who attend will be able to participate in the activities. It's a modeling cross-discipline affair including airplanes, cars and boats.

The AMA Nats is the National Aeromodeling Championships which used to travel but is now held only at Muncie. "Nats" is a contraction of "Nationals", which is a contraction of ..., er, I think it's clear. ;^)

The AMA Homecoming is an AMA sponsored fly-in which used to travel - I attended one at Scobee (sp?) Field in Houston, TX - but now is held only at Muncie.

CR
Old 03-11-2003, 04:05 AM
fast_bro
My Feedback: (8)

Does this mean that any member of the AMA can go and fly at this show? Just a question that I am having trouble finding the answer too. Thanks
Old 03-11-2003, 03:42 PM
Charley

I understand there is going to be some limited open flying. AMA is supposed to be doing a mailing to clubs or members in the surrounding area. There is probably something on the AMA website.

CR
Old 03-15-2003, 02:08 AM
Charley

Mark, You have to remember that it's not a fly-in. It's mainly intended to sell AMA and modeling to the general public through structured demonstrations and hands-on participation.

CR
Old 03-15-2003, 03:03 AM
phayd

I've received a note from the president of the modelaires (the club hosting the main event.)

YES, THERE IS TO BE OPEN FLYING AND FLYING ON A BUDDY BOX, CAR AND BOAT ALSO. THE EXACT TIMES CAN BE FOUND OUT BY CONTACTING RAY PICK (The director of the grand event). THERE WILL BE CONTROL-LINE TOO.
Old 03-15-2003, 04:25 AM
Charley

So, did he give you Ray Pick's phone # or Email address?

CR
Old 03-15-2003, 08:19 AM
rpick37681

The purpose of the Grand Event is to introduce model hobbying to the public. This will be accomplished by giving the public the opportunity to try multiple hobbies in one location. We'll have RC Planes, U-Control, Rockets, kites, boats, and cars.

All AMA members are invited to participate at this event. We'll have at least 3 flight stations for members to use. U-control will have one or two circles. We also have a large pond for boaters.

To promote the hobby, I feel the public needs to see various types of models. What this means is I'll be needig AMA members to come and SHOW OFF their hobby and be willing to discuss how much fun modeling can be. We'll have multiple trainer planes, cars, boats, etc, but what will really get more people into the hobby is seeing hobbyist like you and me having FUN! We need to sell a dream and show the public that the dream is possible and can be achieved through modeling. I want AMA members coming to support this event and also partaking in the event. I need more aircraft in the air just besides trainer planes. I want the public to see what could be in store for them in a couple of years.

This is a Great opportunity for everyone to come and show off your special airplane, car, tank, boat, sub, etc.. You can fly anything that AMA rules allow. I just ask that the model is of high quality.

I'm currently working with multiple AMA Show Teams to put on an exciting afternoon show. The show alone will be worth coming and seeing! Remember, the price is right, "FREE".

Come meet Dave Brown and Joyce Hager at this event. By having both of these people at this year's Event, it's showing that AMA wants to see this event prosper. I think it has great potential but it will require support from other AMA members.

I'll see you all on June 6, 7 & 8, 2003! Come have some fun with us!

Please send me an Email if you'd like to volunteer and help out at this event. Only send it if you know 100% for sure you'll be here!

If you'll be attending and would like to send me a picture of your beauty, please do so. It may end up on TV!

Thanks!

Ray Pick
Executive Director
2003 AMA Grand Event