Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Would you pay a dollar a day?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Would you pay a dollar a day?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 03:29 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Would you pay a dollar a day?

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: STLPilot

You forgot to say these "AMA clubs" promote the hobby first and foremost. Sounds to me the AMA system of supporting clubs instead of owning clubs ... worked.

You missed again. The clubs we are talking about are not "AMA clubs" they are "AMA chartered clubs". The way you term them appears to be clubs possessed (owned ) by the AMA which is much different than what they really are. Keep tuning in and one day you may get it right.
Well then you might need to update some wording on your club application. From AMA Club to AMA Chartered Club.

Texas Unlimited Fun Flyers (TUFF)
AMA Club #4659

But reading you club rules, I now understand why you don't support the PPP, your club members don't need any affiliation or insurance for planes <2lbs. I guess your club views <2lb planes safer then >2.1 lb planes like the AMA does too!
Old 03-24-2008, 03:34 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

You missed again. The clubs we are talking about are not "AMA clubs" they are "AMA chartered clubs". The way you term them appears to be clubs possessed (owned ) by the AMA which is much different than what they really are. Keep tuning in and one day you may get it right.
Maybe it's just a matter of perspective, LCS.

I could say "Thanks to those guys at GEICO, I have the privilege of driving my GEICO chartered vehicles. If it weren't for GEICO the gummit bureaucrats would take away my right to drive in a heartbeat."

Abel
Old 03-24-2008, 03:58 PM
KidEpoxy

No the AMA doesn't need to be in the real estate business
Well well,
seems we've said that about the MoneyPit and folks like you were happy they were into owning flying land.
Does this mean you are against the flying site assit programs too? Being a silent partner in realestate?

The AMA does own flying land, this is about just increasing the amount they own.

If you would like them to not own flying land,
welcome to our side of the Moneypit Debate.

They could of course just get free/discount leases to fly on public land if you dont want AMA buying land. Lots of clubs do that. I bet I know a guy that can lease flying land next to Jetero to them cheap. [8D]
Old 03-24-2008, 04:31 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

They could of course just get free/discount leases to fly on public land if you dont want AMA buying land. Lots of clubs do that.
Right, the clubs do that. Sorry but I don't see one benefit for the AMA to establish commercial flying sites, just a handful of people saying they would like to see them. The only flying site the AMA owns is an AMA MEMBERS ONLY flying site attached to their corporate HQ. Also Muncie Indiana isn't exactly near a metropolitan region where most people live and real estate becomes extremely complicated.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:38 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: STLPilot

The only flying site the AMA owns is an AMA MEMBERS ONLY flying site attached to their corporate HQ. Also Muncie Indiana isn't exactly near a metropolitan region where most people live and real estate becomes extremely complicated.
Good points.

Glad to see you have changed your original position. There may be hope for you yet. Now what do we do about that? Your post suggests educating Muncie about real estate. One lesson that is often repeated is "location, location, location"...Hmmmm...I think you are really on to something there buddy.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:15 PM
KidEpoxy

Also Muncie Indiana isn't exactly near a metropolitan region where most people live and real estate becomes extremely complicated
No, its not complicated. LCS just laid it out: Location Location Location.
Good Location land costs more,
Horrible Location land costs less.
... not complex.

We still have minor league baseball teams ... Like the Rancho Cucamonga Quakes play at the [link=http://www.rcepicenter.com/photos.htm]Epicenter[/link]. They manage to sell tickets & pull a crowd that root for the home team. They have home games & road games at other towns fields, where that towns fans root for the home team.

RC Competition doesnt have a draw like that. Whynot.
Folks dont watch nascar just for the beer. They want to root for their hero, & see some crashes. To bad RC Competition doesnt have any crashes or teams.

Folks dont want to root for just some guys they never heard of.
They root for thier home team. Lets get some home teams and fortnight competition leagues to draw folks into watching RC Competition and maybe instill an interest in trying outRC Flying.

Maybe metro land is a bad investment, cause if they start making more land the demand & prices will drop sharply.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:26 PM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

Well it looks like it is time to let this thread drift off to the back pages for another two years. The 2008 reception was about the same as it was in 2006.

Patton once said something to the effect that "victory belongs to those that believe in it the most."
I think that collectively we remain victorious in keeping the endangered flying field a firm reality.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:01 PM
theradioflyer

ORIGINAL: Gremlin Castle

Well it looks like it is time to let this thread drift off to the back pages for another two years. The 2008 reception was about the same as it was in 2006.

Patton once said something to the effect that "victory belongs to those that believe in it the most."
I think that collectively we remain victorious in keeping the endangered flying field a firm reality.
Interesting... I believe in this case that victory is flying my planes SOMEWHERE.... and ENCOURAGING my friends to participate and enjoy my hobby. The idea of paying $365 a year to most people is ridiculous unless it's 2 miles away and you stop the wind from blowing. The concept is unattainable, unless you live near Muncie, IN. It would be nice if the AMA did more to support our local clubs, ( WE were a GOLD Leader Club..... whoopee ) But you don't see the AMA even doing that

Yep, put it to bed.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:20 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I do not think $ 1 a day is correct.

The dollar is way down in value against all developed countries.

They are comming HERE to fly.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:32 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

cy:

off topic, but if ya haven't seen or heard about it................

http://www.rchotel.com/

this is the sort of business that they can support on that side of the big pond. would be nice to have similar facilities over here somewhere, with anywhere near similar pricing.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:38 PM
wildchild45177
My Feedback: (11)

I say no way to AMA. Do we really need them sucking money out our pockets every year? Where is the return? I don't see them doing anything except holding their hand out for more money. I know someone is going to say insurance, but try to get it out of them.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:17 PM
cyclops2

Thanks for giving us another reason why we are second best.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:17 PM
KidEpoxy

Mongo-
Great find on the Pay Per Day vacation RC hotel [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
70 euro's a week to fly your own model over a Greek island.... how cool is that.
Sure the hotel rate & insurance gets tacked on... but its in frickin Greece, not Indiana

Which would work better-
Honey, pack your bags, we're off for a romantic vacation on a Greek island.
Honey, pack your bags, we're drivin to Indiana for the week.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:00 PM
cyclops2

Indiana.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:38 PM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

I am dragging up this old thread as a response to another current thread where someone is upset that someone would buy property and then build a house and complain about the airplanes.

The point is that other people are willing to spend money to get what they want while modelers complain about spending money on anything except the next plane or gadget.
Don't get lost in talking about the AMA portion of this thread just look at the number of people that think a dollar a day is outrageous for a place to fly.
ORIGINAL: Gremlin Castle

How many people would be willing to pay a dollar a day to fly at a field owned by the AMA?

Here I am talking about people in the large metropolitan areas that are fighting with other development groups for acreage.

If fifty thousand of the AMA membership committed to a project like this it would generate eighteen million dollars a year. It would not take too many years to have decent flying sites in several parts of the country.

It would be wise to have a credit card or bank account billed bi-weekly for the money and a third party for oversite of the AMA to make sure the money goes for the intended purpose.

Those AMA members that did not want to commit could pay $10 per day just like going to a show or anything else that requires admission.

This will never happen with the AMA membership but a group with a good business plan and the right people could make a version of this work in some areas.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:16 PM
abel_pranger

GC-

I agree with you on this:

"This will never happen with the AMA membership but a group with a good business plan and the right people could make a version of this work in some areas. "

There is demonstrable proof of the plan you ranked as more likely to succeed, as Hoss can and often does attest.

Otherwise, it smacks of the time-share condo/campground and health club membership marketing schemes to me. They make a lot of money for the promoters who know they can oversell them by huge margins, because only a small percentage of buyers will actually use them enough to get fair value in return for their money.

Hmm.....OTOH, with membership (and so dues) numbers down, alternative revenue sources are high on the list of priorities. Maybe AMA should pursue it for the very same reasons I wouldn't buy into it........

Abel