Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Jump Rope Nationals on ESPN2

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Jump Rope Nationals on ESPN2

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 12:36 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Jump Rope Nationals on ESPN2

ORIGINAL: PLANE JIM

Georgia,homosexuals,jump-rope is there a connection or common denominator?

He also has a thing about missing teeth. Definately a connection, you think?
Old 01-24-2007, 02:55 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm, RC on TV should be an easy sell to ESPN. If they have they have a market for all the poker tournaments they show, surely something with some action would be a larger market.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:55 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am guessing you have never seen "Deliverance"
Quick geography lesson here, that was South Carolina.[sm=what_smile.gif]
Old 01-25-2007, 08:03 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: vicman

I am guessing you have never seen "Deliverance"
Quick geography lesson here, that was South Carolina.[sm=what_smile.gif]

No it was Georgia, and not an accurate description, even back then.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:13 PM
vicman

Occonee river in that narrow little section where NC, GA, SC, and TN come togeather but SC was where the deed got done. Go ahead..."squeal like a pig boah".[sm=stupid.gif]
Old 01-26-2007, 12:43 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

I think it was the Chatooga River in Georgia.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:52 AM
ptulmer

You are all correct. But you forgot Tallulah Gorge. (been there, didn't see a single freakish hick playing the banjo)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deliverance
Old 01-26-2007, 09:17 AM
P-51B

ORIGINAL: PilotFighter

I think it was the Chatooga River in Georgia.

Correct, but you better provide a map for the geography teacher. [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Some of the local whitwater guides also say part of it was filmed on the Nantahala, but I haven't seen a reference for that.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:04 PM
vicman

Been there did em all. T-shirts are pase[8D]

Now I do pylon racing to get scared, the toofless locals get spooked at the sight of a .45 sig ultra carry!

I moved on to body surfing the wild fishing rivers since the rafting and kayaking got boring.[8D]
Old 02-07-2007, 05:52 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a post in the control line forum about BBC TV coverage of a model aviation event.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:08 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice program on the Jump Rope organization on the Disney channel.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:03 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Well just to add to the misery. Today in the newspaper was a story of the National Paper, Rock, Scissor competion to be shown on ESPN, top prize is $50,000.00
Old 04-23-2007, 02:47 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: Glacier Girl

Well just to add to the misery. Today in the newspaper was a story of the National Paper, Rock, Scissor competion to be shown on ESPN, top prize is $50,000.00
Sounds like the NPRSA has a great PR guy. Maybe he can be proselytized by AMA - or are we above that?
Old 04-23-2007, 04:01 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Guess so Able, heck if they can get ESPN to televise that, I would think we should be able to at least make the local PBS station.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:15 PM
gzkpez

ORIGINAL: P-51B

Hmmm, RC on TV should be an easy sell to ESPN. If they have they have a market for all the poker tournaments they show, surely something with some action would be a larger market.

These are events and tv coverage is mostly sponcered by the gaming "industry" or related benifactors.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:24 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

If you want to get RC on ESPN what does that have to do with the AMA? If you want to play your role, then do something about it.

My friends at FlyingThingZ are scheduled for filming on Discovery Channel for the 4th time next month. They never got the AMA involved, they let them know themselves.

Got a cool event, call ESPN and market to them. Hopefully they will find some sponsors that will air during it, in most cases they will, but you have to sell it to them.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:03 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: STLPilot

If you want to get RC on ESPN what does that have to do with the AMA? If you want to play your role, then do something about it.

My friends at FlyingThingZ are scheduled for filming on Discovery Channel for the 4th time next month. They never got the AMA involved, they let them know themselves.

Got a cool event, call ESPN and market to them. Hopefully they will find some sponsors that will air during it, in most cases they will, but you have to sell it to them.
What the AMA should do is buy some spots during the Discovery time slot. Along with Tower, Horizon, and the many other big distributors. ESPN will listen if there are spots to sell.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:46 AM
ptulmer

STL, from the "what is the AMA" page:

AMA is a self-supporting, non-profit organization whose purpose is to promote development of model aviation as a recognized sport and worthwhile recreation activity.

AMA should be working to get some air time for the NATs or some other major event. If enough people watch, next time people will be wanting to pay for the right to air it. At that point they will have begun to succeed. I'd love to see a large pylon event. That oughta keep some butts planted!
Old 04-30-2007, 11:23 AM
Major Pain

StlPilot: When is the RC program going to air on Discovery?------Revver Bro#164
Old 05-13-2007, 11:03 AM
Wufnu
My Feedback: (2)

3D competitions would probably do well on TV, I know I certainly enjoy watching videos of people doing things I didn't think was possible.

I would watch races, as well. I think the trick would be to use large scale planes over a large track that would be viewable from above, at an oblique view (like Nascar races). If you're looking at a very narrow view from the ground it would be very boring. The problem is that the laps are so short you can't switch cameras to follow the leader otherwise you'd be changing camera views every five seconds. Zooming in on a specific plane and tracking it would be even more boring, all you would see is the plane and sky. From above you can view most or all of the track and watch all the planes do their thing. They need to be large scale so that they will be easy to distinguish from the other planes from a camera viewing the entire flying field.

Be sure to have SOME cameras zoomed in to certain locations so you always have a good view of the crashes. Crashes will keep people watching that wouldn't otherwise. Slow motion will help, the more explosive the better. If nobody crashes pay someone to. I dunno, designate a fall man. Only problem is if it gets popular then they'll probably have all sorts of staged stuff. Reminds me of bass fishing. Nowadays they're all about extreme and every new celebrity has some sort of schtick. Kinda like wrestling. Dad was telling me about some bass fishing guy, about all the crazy things he does. "The guy is crazy!" reply: "This is fishing, right? ... Fishing isn't supposed to be an extreme sport, dad. It's... it's fishing." Whatever it takes to get the lowest common denominator to tune in, that's what they want. I can just see it now, the designated bad gets on tv to badmouth the hero and the then hero is all like, "I'm not worried about the Dark Flyer, brother. I can out fly him any day of the week and I'll do so during Fly-death-explosion-mania on Saturday. Whatcha gonna do when Hovermania go wild on you?!" One can only hope

Maybe have a half-time where they do mock dogfights. I seem to remember a show that reproduced Pearl Harbor and every show they actually blew up a Zero. Now that would be cool to see, both in person and on tv.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:50 PM
3D Nut
My Feedback: (1)

Hey Major,

it's funny that you asked, Henry and I never know when there going to air the show. We do know by the amounts of hits we get on FlyingThingZ web site, that the show has been aired. The next Discovery show will be Discovery Kids, and we're going to show them how we train people to fly. By the way the next show is Fiverson Entertainment "When Pigs Fly" Henry and I were challenged to make a Pig Fly in under 8Hours, it was nice that the producer sent us a copy of the show in dvd.

Wufnu,

Why use large planes and not Indy Cars, that should be fun racing around the tracks http://www.3d-nut.com/videos/indyracehigh.wmv STLpilot have some nice ideas but I'm just not into it, I would rather go fly my Yak, Cap, Edge, V2 Katana and 3dx foamys

Spiro
Team FlyingThingZ

ORIGINAL: Major Pain

StlPilot: When is the RC program going to air on Discovery?------Revver Bro#164
Old 05-13-2007, 10:54 PM
Wufnu

Heh,yah, those would be fun to watch. I just mentioned large because they need to be viewable from a distance. For something going 100-200 mph the track will have to be rather large and to get the entire thing the camera would have to be pretty far away. Smaller planes would be too hard to see Plus the roar of a four stroke or large gas engine would likely be more appealing than a high pitched whine.

People will be naturally attracted to large planes, extremely high power, super high speed, etc. At least, that's what I figure the network would want, something that will make someone surfing through the channels stop and watch. You know, lowest common denominator and such.

I understand they still do full scale pylon races? I wonder why that's not on TV.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:31 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: ptulmer

AMA is a self-supporting, non-profit organization whose purpose is to promote development of model aviation as a recognized sport and worthwhile recreation activity.

AMA should be working to get some air time for the NATs or some other major event. If enough people watch, next time people will be wanting to pay for the right to air it. At that point they will have begun to succeed. I'd love to see a large pylon event. That oughta keep some butts planted!
Same old song and dance, what can the AMA do for us? Obviously the AMA does promote, but they are just not great at everything, like marketing. However they did manage to sign up 160,000 members last year so they must be doing something to promoting RC. Prolly not as fast as the industry is moving, but still not bad. Do you expect them to be the best at everything they do, or, jack of all trades, masters of none. Remember the more effort they put into one single facet of the org they will only take away from another, unless of course, they want to spend money on it. No matter what they do wrong or right, you guys will still be hammering them, they are damned either way.

You want the NATS or any other RC event on TV, pick up the phone and let them know. Or any pylon event or whatever you want to see.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:22 AM
ptulmer

Wufnu, I've seen some of the full scale races on TV. The Red Bull event comes to the front of my mind. They did a lot of internet marketing on that and IIRC, it was pretty successful.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:30 AM
exeter_acres

ORIGINAL: ptulmer

SELF SUPPORTING....

so if you are a member YOU ARE the AMA... what have YOU done to promote the Nats... WHO have YOU spoken to regarding air time...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.