Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

New Radios and AMA

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

New Radios and AMA

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 09:00 PM
Mode One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Radios and AMA

Isn't it funny how personal attacks, berating or belittling someone begets personal attacks,berating and belittling?
Old 04-06-2007, 09:32 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: Mode One

Isn't it funny how personal attacks, berating or belittling someone begets personal attacks,berating and belittling?
What a second there!

Were have I personally attacked, berated or belittled you in this thread? And if you find or feel that I have, please accept my sincere apologies. That is not my intent ever!
Old 04-06-2007, 09:46 PM
Mode One

To go back and point them out to you, means that you are unable to see where they are! So, it would be better to simply move on.

For my part, I hope that SS 2.4 ghz works out to being what we all hope it to be. Since incorporating Spread Spectrum into our club is a function our clubs need to deal with, it makes sense to me that we talk about these issues at the local level.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:24 AM
littlecrankshaf

Ck out: http://2.4gigahertz.com/

I especially like; Futaba 2.4GHz FASST systems... there are no signal conflicts or interruptions - and no need for a frequency pin!
Old 04-08-2007, 06:39 AM
torqmeister

My whole reason to buy 2.4 ghz would be that I wouldn't have to deal with "it" anymore. Let'a all go fly. And I vote for Mode One to "man the PUSS" at my field, anytime he would care to visit.

To go back and point them out to you, means that you are inable to see where they are! So, it would be better to simply move on.

For my part, I hope that SS 2.4 ghz works out to being what we all hope it to be. Since incorporating Spread Spectrum into our club is a function our clubs need to deal with, it makes sense to me that we talk about these issues at the local level.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:54 AM
Mode One

Torque master, (Expletive deleted) Is this all you got? One miserable entry on this thread and all can you do is decide to take the low road! Your some piece of work!

Will there ever be a time on this forum topic when people will act like adults?
Old 04-09-2007, 08:16 AM
torqmeister

Actually, I'm on the high road. I am elated about the 2.4 ghz technology. I have been shot down in AMA sanctioned Pattern contest, shot down at AMA sanctioned Fly ins, and shot down at the local field just week end flying. I am absolutely fanatical when it comes to frequency control.Whenever I fly, I meet everyone at the field, ascertain who is on my frequency, and develop a personal relationship with them for the day,whether they like it or not. So believe me when I tell you how happy I will be not to have to deal with that problem anymore.

And yes, for those inquisitive types, I am the PUSS Mgr at our local field. Here is how it works. All day flying for those who like big crowds & multiple planes in the air at he same time. For those who like, for one reason or another, to fly by themselves ( just them & their one airplane in the air ), come on out real early or get there real late. As you can imagine, this is a big responsibilty. And yes, I could use some help, if you ever care to visit our field. See, now you've been invited twice.

Torque master, (Expletive deleted) Is this all you got? One miserable entry on this thread and all can you do is decide to take the low road! Your some piece of work!

Old 04-09-2007, 09:50 AM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

With an attitude like that, it's no wonder people don't want you around. I'm sure all the shoot-downs were accidental.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:52 AM
littlecrankshaf

Maybe with a little help you can!
Old 04-09-2007, 11:23 AM
torqmeister

We do make exceptions for the "one man, one plane" rule. If you are the quality of pilot, such as a Chip Hyde or Jason Schulman, I'm sure everyone at the field would want to step back and enjoy the show. Do you qualify? At our field, with multiple planes in the air, the best pilots are still noticed, and awarded kudos for their efforts. But I will have to admit, there is not much attention given to solo flights (one man, one plane), where the guy just flies around in circles.
ORIGINAL: MikeL

With an attitude like that, it's no wonder people don't want you around. I'm sure all the shoot-downs were accidental.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:43 AM
Hmayford
My Feedback: (1)

Hello,

How does some kind of colored flag sound? Perhaps a nice bright Violet flag attached to the short 2.4GH transmitter ant. Very simple and cheap. Supplied with the radio. Just a thought.

Everybody with a Violet flag is 2.4GH. We already have "AIR" & "Surface" flags, why not "2.4"?

I think this might just "PACIFY" everyone, GET IT!

Hank
Old 05-13-2007, 01:18 PM
arno
My Feedback: (1)

Here's a thought for all. As a long time modeler and long time amateur radio operator, I have seen many frequency changes by the FCC to both hobbies. I really believe that as 2.4 ghz becomes more popular, the FCC will announce a 10 year grace period to phase out RC operation on 72 and 75 mhz. Those frequencies will probably become more pager operation. Pagers are already in between the RC frequencies.

Arno
Old 05-26-2007, 10:25 AM
FliteMetal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Silversurfer What do the new frequencies and the AMA have to do with each other anyway? The AMA has never been the one to "control" what frequencies we fly on. That's up to the FCC, the users and club members, along with various clubs and contest directors. All anyone really cares about is frequency conflict and the new 2.4 gig frequencies actually make this safer than it has ever been. The AMA does not even insist that people fly at a club site. Only that flying locations meet or exceed basic safety standards. As far as effect on the AMA, it might have a very slight positive effect on insurance claims since there will be less chance of a frequency jammed aircraft running into something or someone. People, you really need to get to know what the AMA is actually about. It's not limited to insurance and club sites.
Actually, "the only body representing your use of the radio spectrum" is the AMA. Radio manufacturers have historically paid little attention to establishing standards much less achieve interoperability. That tells you they don't worry about your $ except for "their corporate vision" of what you should be using at any one snap shot in time.

Without the AMA representing the RC modeling community to the FCC who controls the use of all radio spectrums in the USA...you would find chaos as a rule instead of your representation which exists today. That's not to say the FCC always complies with the desires expressed by the AMA. But the FCC does negotiate with the AMA to manage spectrum, though it be a shared use requirement.

I can not imagine the chaos which would exist if the AMA and RCHTA were not in some degree managing what little is managable. Remember the FCC considers our use of the spectrum to be for TOYS.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:15 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

ORIGINAL: FliteMetal

I can not imagine the chaos which would exist if the AMA and RCHTA were not in some degree managing what little is managable. Remember the FCC considers our use of the spectrum to be for TOYS.
ed, that is exactly how we want to keep things. once they cease to be toys, they become rpv, uav or whatever the current term for un-maned drones is, and then the FAA gets into the regulation act.

r mark "mongo" wornell
Old 05-26-2007, 02:45 PM
FliteMetal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if it isn't Mongo! Long time no see smoke signal from your camp.

Actually the FCC reclassified the RC use and finally cut a lot of the aerial survey and security guys out if they were using 72 and 2.4 for anything other than toy use. Commercial aerial service with RC requires a whole new level of HLS and NSA pat downs.

Do you still have the F-15 mold? Someone recently asked if I still had that. Don't be a stranger there guy!

Later,
Old 05-26-2007, 03:52 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: arno

Here's a thought for all. As a long time modeler and long time amateur radio operator, I have seen many frequency changes by the FCC to both hobbies. I really believe that as 2.4 ghz becomes more popular, the FCC will announce a 10 year grace period to phase out RC operation on 72 and 75 mhz. Those frequencies will probably become more pager operation. Pagers are already in between the RC frequencies.

Arno
Are pagers really that big a deal any more?? I hardly see any of them in use by the general public. Cell phones seem to be the norm now.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:25 PM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Our club has had now two major events so far and having the 2.4 gig radio's at the field made handling the impound table easier. I know what Dave says about the radio. I'm not sure yet if he's right or wrong only time will tell. Dennis
Old 06-04-2007, 03:48 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

As long as an individual is flying both Spread Spectrum and 72 mhz where frequency control is required, it would seem wise to continue use the frequency pin protocol. It would avoid the "oops" situation where he has gotten in the habit of not posting a pin and then on the day he brings out his 72 mhz rig he kind of forgets . . . oops, sorry about that. Once 72 mhz disappears, then the frequency board can be scrapped. As far as meets go. If a guy is flying only SS, then why clutter up the impound? At a recent meet I attended the SS flyers were not required to impound their radios. In the case of some clubs, mine included, the frequency pin shows your membership is current. In this way you know who is flying, and in case of a guest we have guest pins to which they attach their AMA/MAC card.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:22 PM
DadsToysBG

I agree if you have 72 then it has to go into inpound. for me, I moved all my planes to 2.4. We inpound the module only if it 72 that way there no problem with switching back and fourth. If you stay on 2.4 you keep the radio if you want 72 you have to check out the module. Dennis
Old 06-04-2007, 07:57 PM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

It would avoid the "oops" situation where he has gotten in the habit of not posting a pin and then on the day he brings out his 72 mhz rig he kind of forgets . . . oops, sorry about that.

It is much more likely someone would pull the wrong pin using a synthesized 72 MHz system than fail to pull a pin due to a habit of using SS.

72 MHz synthesized modules have been in use for quite some time now without much problem. I haven’t seen anyone on these forums have a conniption about them.

4 of my 72 MHz transmitters have synthesized modules in them and I also have the DX7. I can tell you that it is much more likely that a person will mistakenly pull the wrong freq. pin with a synthesized 72 MHz trans than not pull a pin at all due to habit of using SS.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:21 PM
Live Wire

Thxnk you
This thread has turned out to be more than I expected. Great response and good replys to response of others. We have different veiws and idea's what we should use and it is our privilage t0 choose.
No I still cam't spell
Old 06-05-2007, 08:37 AM
DadsToysBG

It seems to me that anything new bring alot of naysayers to the table. The what if's can drive a normal person up the wall. But a wise man said 'time heals all" All these questions will be answered as more of the radio's are used and each club will sort them out to their needs. For now with the limited number of 2.4 at the fields impounding them is like beating a dead horse. Dennis
Old 06-06-2007, 05:37 AM
Mode One

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

It would avoid the "oops" situation where he has gotten in the habit of not posting a pin and then on the day he brings out his 72 mhz rig he kind of forgets . . . oops, sorry about that.

It is much more likely someone would pull the wrong pin using a synthesized 72 MHz system than fail to pull a pin due to a habit of using SS.

72 MHz synthesized modules have been in use for quite some time now without much problem. I haven’t seen anyone on these forums have a conniption about them.

4 of my 72 MHz transmitters have synthesized modules in them and I also have the DX7. I can tell you that it is much more likely that a person will mistakenly pull the wrong freq. pin with a synthesized 72 MHz trans than not pull a pin at all due to habit of using SS.

So, how has the club(s) you belong to handled this question, Crank?
Old 06-06-2007, 08:51 AM
littlecrankshaf

So, how has the club(s) you belong to handled this question, Crank?
There is no need to pull a pin for 2.4... so the clubs I belong to haven't any question.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:44 AM
Silent-AV8R

We use pins for 2.4 only as a means of confirming that the pilot is a current club member. You have to put your club card in the slot where the pin was.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.