Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Does Distict V need a new VP

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Does Distict V need a new VP

Old 02-13-2003, 03:25 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does Distict V need a new VP

While it is a long time until the members get to vote for their AMA VP in the early fall of 2004 it is not to early to start studying the possible candidates. The incumbent is guaranteed a spot on the ballot, and can only be kept of by a 3/4 vote of the EC - a very unlikely chance if history is any indication.

I think as a start it would be good to review the campaign statements made by the opposing candidates in the last District V election.

Campaign statement made in 1998 election for District V VP [MA November 1998]
Jim McNeill (incumbent), Birmingham, Alabama.

Jim McNeill, B'ham, AL, AMA #L,2. I have the most experience, 25 years m the Council. I have held every office except Pres. AMA is a service organization formed to help you enjoy the hobby of model airplanes and have fun. AMA works with the FCC to provide you with frequencies; with insurance companies to protect you and your clubs and your field owners; and works with you to help you get and keep flying sites.
I travel constantly to your Fun-Flys, Contests, Club Meetings, etc, to expose myself as your AN4A representative. My Dist. Web Page is: http:\\www.scott.net-ama. On my Web I try to show as many clubs as I can. At Fun-Flys I try to take pictures of the people in preference to the models. Then I highlight the contestants, CDS, officials, family members, spectators, in the magazine. To me every member is equal. Famous ones, new members, FF, CL, RC, all are the same to me. I have always reported to you the mysteries of Council meetings and you know Ns is true.
I am provided with an annual District Budget fed by your dues money. In spending it I try to be a river to my people. I mail out videos, booklets, Rob'ts Rules books, etc, all free.
This is a fun thing for me. Both of my opponents in this race are fine people. I think whomever you select you will get a good representative.

TONY STILLMAN

My qualifications: As life long modeler I have participated in free flight, control line, combat, R/C sport flying, R/C pattern, Scale, Giant scale, and the SAM championships. I have been an active contest director annually since 1976. I have directed local, national and world championship contests. In 1995 I was elected and served 4 years as president of the National Society of R/C Aerobatics. I was F3A team manager at the world championships in 1993, 1995 and 1997. Currently I am serving as Frequency coordinator. I have worked with almost everyone in the competitions department, the rules committee and operations in Muncie. I have an excellent relationship with AMA staff, officers and officials.

My plan to improve AMA and district five follows: By truly representing modelers of our district, I will make your voice heard in Muncie. Our district modelers need more input into the AMA council. I can make this happen. I will seek committee membership and assume my share of work and responsibility. Your voices will be heard through me at council meetings. Every Associate Vice President I appoint will come to you for input, will visit you, your club and flying field, then discuss any club problems with your officers. Twice each year they will report to me at a meeting of all Associate VP’s. Information gained from them will help me to truly represent you in Muncie.

Only with your help can all these things be done. I am qualified, able and willing to represent you and our district in Muncie. I have the contacts and friends there to help me do the job. With your support and YOUR VOTE I can bring these good things to you.

Study the issues, become an informed voter in District V to make a difference in 2004.
Old 02-13-2003, 05:57 PM
klhoard
My Feedback: (10)

Red,

What an appropriate way to start this thread. Right now the majority of people looking at this fall into two camps: those opposed to Mr. McNeil, and those who are undecided. We have to create a third camp, those who support Tony Stillman. Tony just started posting here on RCU, and this is a great place for the undecideds to ask him questions directly and begin building a following. There will be some undecided people who want to hear from both sides, and we have to provide them with every means to contact Mr. McNeil possible so they can make their own decision. I'm convinced that Mr. McNeil himself can be one of the biggest resources to this campaign if we can get him to participate. If he won't participate, then the undecided people need to be gently shown that so they can make their own decision regarding who should represent them.

Once they have made their decision, we need to educate them on how to make their voice heard. We need to let people know how many votes were destroyed in the last election and why.

In the end, our goal is to motivate as many people as we can to take the 10 seconds required to remove their ballot from their December 2004 Model Aviation magazine, mark Tony Stillman's box, and put it in their mailbox SEPARATE from their renewal form, by the deadline date.
Old 02-13-2003, 06:06 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What were the numbers from the last election?
Old 02-13-2003, 10:59 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

Originally posted by EASYTIGER
What were the numbers from the last election?
District V
Jim McNeill 2065
Manny Sousa 804
Ton Stillman 1985
Total 4854

Total members in D-V eligible to vote - aprox. 20,000

Red S.
AMA 951
District V - working for quality in leadership.
Old 02-13-2003, 11:06 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VERY close race. What do people not like about McNeill? What are the complaints?
Old 02-13-2003, 11:44 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by EASYTIGER
VERY close race. What do people not like about McNeill? What are the complaints?
It would save time, effort and a whole lot of space to state what there is TO LIKE about the man.

I first met JM in Jan. 1979. He seemed to be very likable and to have a neat sense of humor. Since I do not like to go against my first impressions, I kept giving JM the benefit of any doubts. I still have scars of the knife-in-the-back that kept coming for the next 3 years.
Slow learner, but I did learn and I haven't forgotten.
Best of luck to those in D-5. But Red knows that JM has a deep hat just full of rabits, and he knows just when and how to pull 'em out. The D-5 gang should also play Load the Ballot. Load the ballot and if needed, start a mass write-in campaign for several others.
If one should get elected that actually does not wish to serve, then Bylaws Art. X, Section 2 provides the method to get a chosen one into office.
Old 02-14-2003, 12:19 AM
klhoard

Easytiger,

I think that the easiest way to put this is that alot of the basic AMA services that the District Vice President is supposed to provide are not being provided because the organization that is supposed to be there is broken.

The most glaring one is the position of Frequency Coordinator. This position is one the directly relates to the safety of the model airplanes and the people at your flying field. The Frequency Coordinator position remains unfilled because the last one - Mr. Stillman - decided to run against him in the election. This decision to remove Tony Stillman had nothing to do with his job performance clearing up radio safety problems at clubs, but because he decided to run against him for his job.

Another obvious problem is the one of Assistant Vice Presidents (AVP). The AVP is your local "go-to" guy concerning issues relating to the AMA. There are over 20,000 modellers in District V - obviously way more than one person can communicate with. So. . . the AMA bylaws allow - no, they require - the District Vice President to appoint AVP's to communicate with the membership. Not only do these AVP's represent the different regions of the District, they represent the differnt TYPES of flying. Say a control line club is having problems, but Tony Stillman has never flown control line before. . . no problem. . . he picks up the phone and calls his Control Line AVP and puts him on the job. Same for Free Flight, Pylon, Helicopters, or paper airplanes.

The current AVP's in District V have nothing to do with modelling activities. Every past AVP that has shown the slightest inclination that they MAY support a challenger was immediately removed from their post. Once again, these AVP's were not removed because of their inability to do the job, but because Mr. McNeil viewed them as a threat to his position.

Basically, the complaint that most people have is the breakdown in AMA services for District V that our dues money is supposed to be providing but is not because this man is jealously holding onto his position for personal reasons. After the last election he went out of his way to send gloating messages to the people that ran against him. Not once did you hear him say - "Thanks voters of District V, I'm going to do my best for you during this term" All we get are more photographs each month in the AMA magazine.

Most modellers aren't aware of the services that they are missing out on because Mr. McNeil has been in office so long that they have never had them. Also, once you get past the local club structure, the majority of modellers don't care what happens with their dues money until their field is threatened. We have a big education job ahead of us to get the word out so people will know what they COULD have in this District and that it will only take them 10 seconds of effort to get it.

The truly sad part of all of this is that the District VP job is not even a paid position. The only payment is that his travel expenses are reimburses by the AMA, so he can travel around the Southeast and take photos of people's airplanes and make comments wondering how they fly. The modellers of District V are owed so much more than this.

The President of the AMA cannot remove Mr. McNeil from office - that would be like the President of the United States trying to fire a member of Congress. The only people that can remove Mr. McNeil from office are the modellers of the Southeast in the next election in December 2004.
Old 02-14-2003, 01:16 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned

Keith mentioned the AMA services an AMA VP and his AVPs should provide.

I would like to share with the group what another challenger, Norm Deputy ran into in his campaign.

Norm, in case you don't know ran against for District V VP in 1998.

Norm is also one of the movers and shakers responsible for the Perry Swap meet, one of district V's premier modeling events. Hardly a person you would say has no leadership ability.

He was defeated even though McNeill played his usual 3rd candidate card by having his buddy Jim Weems run, he also had Mr. Russell Mobley nominated, but he didn't make the cut as Deputy had by far the most signatures on his nomination.

The results of that election were.

District V *Jim McNeill 1,819 J
Jim Weems 343 (later made an AVP as was Mobley)
Norm Deputy 754
Total votes cast 2,993

This is the first election where the threat of e-mail communication between the membership and web pages came into the equation.

Deputy's campaign was met with the full thrust of McNeill's offensive as is shown in the following letter posted by McNeill.

4/28/98

From the Dixie Aeromaster Inc. Newsletter
William W. Atkins
467 W. Seminole Rd.
Byron, GA 31008

A Rebuttal
by Jim McNeill, District V Vice President

1998 is an election year for the AMA District 5 Vice Presidency. I currently hold the office. I am running for re-election.
A few weeks ago a Mr. Norman Deputy announced his intention to run also. Curiously, he mailed all of my Associate Vice Presidents a package asking them to nominate him for the office. Contained in the package was a spoon-fed pre-worded nomination addressed to the Nominating Committee. Also an envelope with a 32c stamp on it pre-addressed also. All the Associate VP had to do was follow instructions. 1) sign it; 2) include his or her AMA number; 3) mail it. I have 4 of these in front of me now. To contained the same wording as the one appearing in your DIXIE AEROMASTERS NEWSLETTER now. Only one nomination is necessary. This is all very new. Anyone experienced in AMA matters knows the relationship between a Dist. VP and his Associate Vice Presidents is generally based on trust and a long friendship. At first blush I decided to stay out of it and let Deputy run his own business. Now, however, he has changed his story and has become bolder. For me to remain silent is an error.
In his pitch he says: “we as a group, do not communicate very well with each other, and we as AMA members, feel that we are very far removed from the District Vice President, Associate Vice Presidents, the AMA Executive Council and the policies they make on our behalf.” My response to this is: RUBBISH. POLITICS. Politics at its lowest level. You, the member, are not very far removed from me, and I am not very far removed from you. In each issue of your Model Aviation magazine I have my address, my phone number, my FAX number, my E-mail [email protected], now my own WEB PAGE. http://www.scott.net/~ama. I am starting a District Newsletter to all editors, exchange, and contacts of the 318 clubs in my District.
This last go-around I have been your Dist. VP for 25 years. After each of the previous 33 council meetings, I have immediately reported to you in your magazine exactly what happened, the motions etc., and how and why I voted as I did. Go back and check your old magazines. I am the only Council member who has done so. I have stopped this practice, it is no longer necessary. Today we have a fine new President and very experienced Executive Director, so now Hdq’ers publishes in detail the minutes in the next issue. This was not the practice when I take office in 1990. Some of you may recall the national furor that erupted when I reported the proposed land purchase in Visalia, Cal, using AMA dues money. Let me make my point in another way. For several years I have given away AMA Rule Books, Booklets on Flying Sites, videos for acquiring flying sites, videos for club entertainment at meetings, books of “Roberts Rules of Order”. I have mailed out free hundreds of these items. Not one single time has any members complained I was slow in mailing or to quote Deputy “very far removed.” I am as close to you as your telephone, or your FAX machine, or your computer, or your mail box.
Deputy’s mention of a WEB PAGE for the District is excellent. I already have one. I am scanning newsletters to show them on the WEB. Currently I have 10 megs and more if I need them. My secret plan is to show 1 page for each of the 318 clubs in my District that want me to. I will group them by states.
Mr. Deputy’s credentials in his statement appear quite impressive. He says:

NORMAN DEPUTY
LEADER MEMBER SCIENTIFIC
LEADER MEMBER ADMINISTRATIVE

He is indeed a Leader Member but he has not told you how long he has been a Leader Member. He became a Leader Member March 18, 1998. Last month. When Hdq’ers received his first nomination from James Duckworth on March 17 (dated 3-10-98) he was not yet a Leader Member. He became one hours later. Also he states: “...an avid model enthusiast for 10 years...” I’m sure he’s telling the truth here but he does not say how long he has been an AMA member. He joined AMA on June 10, 1991. He has been an AMA member for 6 years and 10 months.
I have been an AMA member since its inception. In 1939 I was told to stop painting NAA & my membership number on the right upper wings of my models and henceforth put AMA & the number instead. The American Academy of Model Aeronautics had dropped the American word off and was now Academy of Model Aeronautics. I had been a member of NAA for years before then. I have been on AMA’s Board of Directors, its Council, for 25 of the last 27 years. Longer than anyone else in AMA’s history.
If Norman Deputy accesses to the office of Vice Presidency of District V I hope he treats you better than he has treated me. Last Fall he called me on the phone and requested I put an AMA booth in the then forthcoming Southeastern Model Show at Perry, Georgia. I then got in my car and drove to the Georgia Aircraft Modelers Assoc. club meeting in Warner Robins where Deputy was the Club Secretary Treasurer. I offered an AMA booth etc., never at ant time did he as Show Coordinator offer ANY pledge of assistance from any members of his club to help AMA. He said they would all be busy. A very distinguished old-time FFer offered to help but is in poor health. I sent one of my Associate VPs to monitor the booth, drove over myself to see. Whammo!!! SURPRISE!!! The AMA display wasn’t in the main room at all where all the action was taking place. It had been sullied off into a side building. I didn’t understand at the time but I understand now. As a direct result of the manner in which Norman Deputy treated the Academy of Model Aeronautics at his Perry Show a committee of 3 has been developed here in Birmingham and are creating a Model Show beginning in Jan or Feb of next year in the old Fairgrounds buildings. One of these halls is 3 times the size of the Perry, Georgia one.

My grateful acknowledgements to your fine Club Editor Mr. Bill Atkins and your fine Club President Mr. Jim Harris in allowing me this rebuttal.

copies; All of my Associate VPs.

File and don't forget!

Red S.
AMA 951
District V - lets bring it back to life.
Old 02-14-2003, 01:26 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned

Default Follow up to McNeill's rebuttal

There were a number of follow up's to Mr. McNeill's rebuttal.

Here are a couple from some that were closest to the issue.

From Tom Rhodes
Note: Tom Rhodes is a professional web site designer

After Reading the “Rebuttal” by Jim McNeil to Norm Deputy announcing and campaining for Dist V VP I had to say a few things. Norm Deputy has been nominated for AMA Dist V VP, He has announced he is running and solicited support from the AVP’s in his district. Put a web page with a campain statement, and in general has started a clean campain for the AMA District V VP. Norm is actively seeking the AMA District V VP position. Upon seeing some compition Jim McNeil has made a personal attack against Norm. I find it appalling that he would stoop to such petty negative politics. Jim was also a little liberal with the facts in his “Rebuttal”.

Jim Said - Not one single time has any members complained I was slow in mailing or to quote Deputy “very far removed.”

It took several people incuding myself over 6 months for him to even consider doing anything with the internet. His web page has just now gone up. I called him and sent him many letters over months to get him to say what if anything he planned for District V on the internet. Several emails, faxs, and phone calls to him went Ignored, and he even made dispariging remarks about myself and others because we were pushing him for some kind of action or at least his stance on the District V internet presence. It took requests on other VP’s to get Jim to respond. Jim will answer requests and send info as long as it doesn’t require him to think or make stand on an issue. Otherwise he has and will ignore you in hopes that you will go away. Some of you may remember the monthly letters to Jim I put on the District VIII email list last year He was brought into the information age kicking and screaming. He had actually dropped doing anything on the net untill Norm’s nomination for VP.

Norm may have just become a “Leader Member” but he’s obviously a leader in model aviation. Look at his resume at his web site. He’s only been in AMA a little more than 6 years. He’s been active for that 6 years. The question is does Jim have 30 years of experience or 1 year of experience 30 times? Jim doesn’t fly anymore. His only activity is AMA VP. That might be good but he doesn’t really do anything and if anyone does or says anthing critical of any of actions or decisions he takes it as a personal attack. Dissagree with him or question one of his decisions and he fears that you’re out for his job. Norm Deputy really is out for his job, so Jim is attacking the man and stretching the facts on the communication issue. Jim is a nice guy but he’s not a leader, he doesn’t campain for our District but appears to look out for his position as an AMA VP and not look out for the AMA members of his district. He’s the consumate AMA politician holding his position longer than anybody in AMA history.

I offered to help and publish and AMA District V web site with links to all the clubs in the district. Put up Club Newsletters, and put up Jims notes and information a year ago. I even got a IP to donate the server space for the site. Jim didn’t know what I was offering, and told me he didn’t think it was a good idea. He’s changed his tune and it’s now “Jim’s Secret Plan”. ….Tom Rhodes AMA531770 [email protected]

A District VP Wakes Up

Well I guess we all know now what it takes to wake up a District Vice President. Just challenge their hold on the position. In my association with AMA, and since I am not running I will not bother you with letter and verse of how many years that is, this is the fastest action I have seen on the part of any District V VP, regarding anything. Incidently where did Jim McNeill get the information regarding the where, when etc of Norm Deputy's association with AMA? I wonder if this information regarding McNeill's "history" would be available to anyone. Who cares? Right now we need an active administrator with a desire to become involved in the administration of the hobby and one who can provide the membership with a positive forward looking agenda. We already have an administrator who has sat on the position currently for 8.25 (?) years, but who has resisted coming into the current computer age, and who insists on pointing backwards to the things he has done, but has no statement indicating what he is going to offer in the future. Maybe that is a little hard, because Jim does indicate he has a "secret plan" to put all newsletter front pages on his web site.

Several things in Jim's rebuttal require a response. I detected some concernment in the rebuttal letter due to the fact Norm notified all 17 or so of Jim's AVPs ( whose relationship is "based on trust and a long friendship) of his intention to run for the office. What a better way to start your association with the membership than to notify all the associates of your intentions, and include a self addressed envelope for their convenience. Jim explains it as "this is all very new." Bingo, perhaps Jim just got his first clue as to a great way to service your constituency "convenience." In the rebuttal Jim indicates that 4 of his AVPs forwarded the info Norm sent them to him. This indicates the 4 did not desire to nominate Norm. Jim needs to not worry about the four, but think of the other 13 that may have some desires for a change in District V.

Jim goes off in the rebuttal about Norm's statement that "we do not communicate very well with each other" as rubbish, and then indicates his address on the Model Aviation District V page as his communication tool with the membership. I'll let someone else determine which of the two statements are "rubbish." Jim's web page did not exist several weeks ago when Norm wrote his concerns regarding communication amongst AMA people. Norm has had a web page up and running for about 2 years now and has been communicating and interacting very well through this medium with club members, interested modelers and others for these many years. Probably a very good indication of what we can expect from him in years to come.

In the rebuttal letter Jim wimpers about hoping that Norm will treat "you better than he has treated me," this in regard to the AMA display at the Southeastern Model Show. This display was in my bailiwick at the show, an Norm was very busy with many other duties. Norm made the initial contact with AMA, was told that District V VP should handle it. Norm then made contact with Jim, and all subsequent actions concerning the display were made by me. After several calls by me to Jim, to an AVP etc, the display was shipped to Norm's home address. Now as to the placement of the display, it was not "sullied off into a side building," but placed in the Conference Center, a multi-million dollar media building, used by the Agri-center complex for conferences of all types. Along with the AMA display, the building contained an IMAA display, Southern Scale Warbird, Senior Pattern, and Peach State Quarter Scale displays. While this building did not garner the traffic we hoped for, it was the first year for this arrangement and understandably we will have more exposure for these displays in the future. Now as to this business of "I then got in my car and drove to the GAMA meeting" OK that is a true statement, but next comes "never at anytime did he as show coordinator offer any pledge of assistance from any members of his club." Wrong, at that stage of the planning contact had already been made to have the AMA display, a lease paid on the building for the display etc, all of which was accomplished by "members of this club." Further the display was taken to the Agri-center by Norm, and I set the display up, positioned it and directed the AVP who was to handle it to the area. Jim was at the show, I spoke to him myself in the main building, and if he had so much as mentioned any concerns about the display, I feel sure we could have and would have brought our full attention to the problem. Several times during the show I asked the AVP if Jim McNeill had come to the display, and to the best of my knowledge Jim did not visit the display, or even enter the "sullied off " building.

Now about the meeting with our club. Jim was certainly pleasant enough, but through the evenings discourse, it became perfectly clear to me that Jim has been at the job of District VP long enough, and we need some new thoughts put to the problems of AMA. At one point I asked Jim "If there was any possibility of AMA getting out of the insurance business," and his demeanor immediately took on a defensive nature, and he seemed to bristle at the idea. Answering that there was absolutely no possibility of AMA getting out of the insurance business, adding that AMA had always had insurance. My impression based on this and other responses that evening has led me to believe that much of Jim's thinking and planning hinges on things in the past. Perhaps that is not so bad until you figure that the current communication age is changing so many aspects of our lives, and that we had better have a capable, forward looking person in position to deal with these changes...........Jim Duckworth

File and remember in 2004.

Red S.
AMA 951
District V - the district with a need.
Old 02-17-2003, 02:11 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

A district that is all it can be.

Ironic that District V was the first one or at least the first one that appointed an official "Computer Technolgy Coordinator" as announced in the District Report in MA a during 1999. Unfortunately the reason for the appointment did not reflect any interest in improving the communications and services to the district.

Sent: Monday, October 04, 1999 11:37 AM
To: '[email protected]'
Cc: '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'
Subject: District V computer Coordinator

Dear Mr. Haught.

Please remove me as the District V Computer Coordinator from any future publications of Model Aviation. I accepted this make believe position because the position afforded me free AMA membership. It has resulted
in a dozen or so calls by AMA District VP Jim McNeil for computer help, and one call from a member who wanted help in getting an adventure game to run. I'm more than happy to help Jim McNeil with any computer question he has or may have in the future but I cannot continue on in this position because I cannot afford my professional reputation as a computer specialist be associated with the dismal use of information services by District V. Jim McNeil was pushed by his membership to start using the internet and email. He as done so reluctantly. He has
failed to take advantage of it's ability to communicate with his constituents or my recommendations. He had a free service that provide an email forum for District V and stopped support of it for political reasons. He has obviously shown that he only wants his constituents to receive the information he wants and does not want active discussion
with the members of district V. I can no longer allow my name to be associated with him.

Thank you

Tom Rhodes AMA5317709 Blvd.Beverly Hills, FL 34465 ph. 352-527-0674
email: [email protected]

cc: Jim McNeill, Dave Brown

Then we have a VP that is striving to make his District and the AMA all it can be. Visit the D-II web site http://www.amadistrictii.org and then jump over to the pathetic excuse for the District V web site http://www.modelair.org/ orchestrated by Mr. McNeill and ask yourself why.

Red S. AMA 951
District V - Is our district all it can be?

----- Original Message -----
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Sunday, February 16, 2003 9:34 PM
Subject: District 2 Website

> Hi everybody,
> If you haven't visited in a while, swing by and take a look at the revamped
> AMA district 2 Website. New Webmaster, Doug Crawford, has worked wonders on
> our site in the one short week he's been working on it. Our aim here is to
> make our district website a place where someone will be able to find any
> information they're looking for regarding District 2.
> On the club pages, there are now email addresses and website links to all
> clubs that provided this info. We have linked to Bill Lee's, District 8
> Webmaster, club locator system. If you haven't tried this feature yet, give
> it a shot. It's really slick. And... we have a new District 2 Event
> Calendar. Our calendar operates and is laid out similar to the AMA
> Competition Calendar. The major difference is that members can interactively
> enter their club events. Try it out by entering your upcoming club
> functions. Go to our website at http://www.amadistrictii.org, click on
> "District II Calendar". Highlight the date of your event, click on the
> "plus/minus" sign by the date, enter your event information, and hit submit.
> Doug has other changes he plans on making in the upcoming weeks. If you
> have any ideas or suggestions on how we can improve the site, drop Doug an
> email using the "contact the webmaster" link on our homepage.
> Thanks for taking a look,
> Dave
>
>
> Dave Mathewson
> AMA Vice President, District 2
> 7271 State Fair Blvd.
> Baldwinsville, NY 13027
> 315.727.4275
> 315.635.1039 (Fax)
Old 02-18-2003, 06:21 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

Default Do these AMA numbers tell us anything?

District V membership numbers from AMA headquarters.

As of January 31, 2003

District V 20,243

As of 8-31-02 (last year end membership)

District V 25,645

Red S. AMA 951
District V - Is District V all it can be?
Old 02-23-2003, 02:51 AM
Sense963

I just saw our putrid Dist 5 website. It's an embarrassment. I also shot Uncle Jim a quick email which I'm sure will be promptly ignored. I plan on trashing this goon to my whole club and including messages for change within our newsletter. I have yet to hear one (corroborated) positive thing about JM. I get the feeling good ol' boy politics and favors are winning at the expense of the district. I've never been involved in AMA leadership before, but a quick informal poll of anybody who's been in this District for any length of time will soon tell you our VP is out of touch, ineffective, and not giving us the service for which he has been elected. I'm completely ready for a change and deeply regret not getting involved in the last election. I fully share the blame for the last outcome and am committed to doing everything I reasonably can to ensure the NEXT outcome is decidedly different.
Old 02-23-2003, 05:08 AM
klhoard

Have you signed up for the District V mailing list yet?? It is owned and run by Red Scholefield, and Mr. McNeil chooses not to participate. It's also a great place to advertise your club events to other flyers in the southeast.
Old 02-23-2003, 11:35 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned

Originally posted by Sense963
I just saw our putrid Dist 5 website. It's an embarrassment. I also shot Uncle Jim a quick email which I'm sure will be promptly ignored. I plan on trashing this goon to my whole club and including messages for change within our newsletter. I have yet to hear one (corroborated) positive thing about JM. I get the feeling good ol' boy politics and favors are winning at the expense of the district. I've never been involved in AMA leadership before, but a quick informal poll of anybody who's been in this District for any length of time will soon tell you our VP is out of touch, ineffective, and not giving us the service for which he has been elected. I'm completely ready for a change and deeply regret not getting involved in the last election. I fully share the blame for the last outcome and am committed to doing everything I reasonably can to ensure the NEXT outcome is decidedly different.
This is what is needed, GET INVOLVED!!! Study your AMA Membership Manual http://modelaircraft.org/templates/a...Memanual03.PDF and see what the duties of the VP are, then decide if these obligations are being met by the incumbent. Review the past minutes of the AMA Executive Council http://modelaircraft.org/templates/a...AEDDC7E1B5F9AB - see what your AMA District VP has contributed in the way of motions to enhance the AMA and its value to the membership. Visit other District web sites and see if yours is one the members in your district can be proud of. Read the District Reports in Model Aviation-does your VP give full contact information for all his AVPs frequently. Check the AMA web site http://modelaircraft.org/templates/a...AEDDC7E1B5F9AB - has your AVP given mail and e-mail addresses for his AVPs?

81 votes . . . . a few votes at a time as individuals wake up and see what has been going on and decide they have had enough, this is all it will take to get District V back on track to be all it can be.

Red Scholefield
AMA 951
Leader Member/CD
Old 02-23-2003, 03:17 PM
Sense963

Default link

As a follow up, my email to JM came back undeliverable. Can't see any reason why in the failure notice. That link for the DistV mailing list is a bear to get on...what's the right address??
Old 02-23-2003, 04:26 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

Default Re: link

As a follow up, my email to JM came back undeliverable. Can't see any reason why in the failure notice. That link for the DistV mailing list is a bear to get on...what's the right address??

McNeill apparantly dropped his address [email protected] and now has only [email protected] and [email protected]

Check the header on the undeliverable message if you used either of these. He has something set up to bounce messages from those he doesn't want to hear from. It appears to be a manual function as it can take several days for the undeliverable message to appear, and in the headers is "via [email protected]" or something to that effect.

To get on the District V e-mail list you have to sign into http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amadist5/

or send message to:
[email protected]

or send message to:
[email protected] and request to be subscribed.

Red Scholefield AMA 951
AMA District V list owner
Old 02-23-2003, 08:31 PM
klhoard

Sorry Brent,

I'll fix my signature block to make it more clear. . .
Old 02-23-2003, 09:40 PM
Sense963

Cool...much better, Keith. I didn't know if it was a web address or what. Hey, do me a favor. We have a Swap Meet here in M'boro 3/8... Any way you can spread the word? Can't remember if I had mentioned it or not, but we're not competing with the Perry Meet, and looks like we could use some publicity. Details at www.mprcf.com
Let me know if YOUR club has anything: fun fly, combat, whatever, and we'll be more than happy to advertise for you. Another item, I had my prez (or having) put a message on our website. I'd like to use your phrase "Leadership, Not Incumbency" if that's OK...
Old 02-23-2003, 10:31 PM
changed
Banned

I have been in this hobby for 20 years, and have never met Mr. Mcneill. I see his column every month and wonder if he will ever visit our club's events. It sounds like we need a much younger vp, one who is not afraid of change! I have recently been elected to the office of president of my club, and without the advice of my fellow club members, I would not succeed. I'm sorry, but I just have to ask: what does the ama really provide for us? I know we get insurance and a magazine, but is the insurance really that great? I'm not attacking anyone just asking for opinions.
Old 02-24-2003, 02:35 PM
BillHarris

We have a Swap Meet here in M'boro 3/8... Any way you can spread the word?... Details at www.mprcf.com
Welcome aboard!

RCU has a forum for club event announcements:

"Events, Shows and Fun Fly's - Airplanes"

just down the hall...
Old 02-24-2003, 04:44 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I have a poll to vote on the incumbent or the primary contender for District 5

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...83&forumid=211]
Old 03-02-2003, 04:51 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

Default Mc Neill Limbo

The McNeill Limbo - how low can he go?

If you drop in to McNeil's web page,

http://www.modelair.org/assoc_vp/Arculis/index.htm

The picture report of the RCRC Pattern Meet last September seems to have dropped a couple of winners. First Place in FAI and 6th place in Masters Class are missing.

If you take a look at the RCRC web site
http://www.rocketcityrc.com/events/2...ern/main5.html

You will find that the winner of the FAI class was none other than Tony Stillman, and the 6th place in Masters Class was Lamar Blair.

Is this the kind of representation District V members deserve?

Red S.
AMA 951
Leader Member/CD

Clean up District V - VOTE TONY STILLMAN IN 2004
Old 03-02-2003, 07:57 PM
Sense963

I know where Stillman stands in Jim's book, but who is Lamar Blair? If he was omitted because for stricktly personal reasons, then I'm more than a little aghast. Don't know if you knew, Red, but Jim called my house a couple of times last week trying to reach me to allay my aprehension about some of the issues currently enshrouding Dist. V. Tried to bully my wife into giving him my new work number and she wouldn't do it. Jim said he's got a problem with a business owner taking elected office in his own region. Does the name Dave Brown mean anything here??? I view this latest bit of high school treachery (the contest results) as just that. High School. Juvenille. This little act confirms any last doubts I may have had about JM. I am writing him to give him fair opportunity to defend himself.
Old 03-02-2003, 11:36 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

I know where Stillman stands in Jim's book, but who is Lamar Blair?
Lamar Blair was an AVP under McNeill. He also did a fine job with the District V web page until McNeill saw a technical article on frequency matters written by Tony Stillman. He had a fit and fired Lamar and set up his present web page.

The more you learn about McNeill the more you wonder how he ever hung on to his position as VP for 27 years.

Red S.
AMA 951
Leader Member/CD
Old 03-05-2003, 10:39 PM
bearcatf8
My Feedback: (4)

Default District V

Just got back from the largest model happening in Dis. V and I didn't see The District V VP there ,nor did I see a booth on AMA. You would think that such a large gathering of the membership that some kind of Q & A with the head of the district would have been there. This might clear up some discrepancies some people may have on who they may vote for in the next election. Well we still have another year to debate that. Lets vote on a new begining for Disc. V Vote Tony Stillman

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.