AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

After u are gone 2

Old 04-20-2007, 06:47 AM
henryj

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default After u are gone 2

MA Columnist Dave Robelen
(Added 4/19/07)

David Robelen, author of Model Aviation's "Micro-Flying" column passed away on Saturday, April 7, 2007.

Dave started his NASA career in October 1958 on the day NACA (National Advisory Committee on Aeronautics) ended and NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration) began.

He graduated from the NASA Apprentice school and served as a machinist and instrument maker in the organization that would become the Fabrication Division. He transferred from the Instrument Construction Section into the Operations Support Division in 1976 and worked in the Dynamics and Stability Branch at the 30- x 60-Foot Full-Scale Wind Tunnel where his knowledge and skills in model aviation were very important.

Dave received many Tech-Brief Awards and at least one patent on work he had done for NASA. He retired from NASA in March 1995 and he and his family moved to Farmville, Virginia, where they bought a small farm.

Dave was a longtime aeromodeler and has published many construction articles for national magazines. He authored a by-monthly column for Model Aviation and moderated an electronic bulletin board.

Dave had been the Chairman of the AMA Electric Contest Board since 2002. He was the first person to be admitted into the National Indoor Remote-Control Aircraft Council Hall of Fame and was one of the most respected indoor and micro RC modelers. He will be missed by his many friends and family.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:21 AM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: After u are gone 2

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and many friends.

50%
Old 04-20-2007, 10:40 AM
SSRCCPREZ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

May all our resume's be half as awe striking.
Thoughts and prayers to those who knew him best and will miss him the most. May they find comfort in his life, solice in his deeds and comfort in his love for those around him.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:46 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

At some time during my tour of this hobby I plan to build one of his plans. When I saw his article in MA this month I gave him a moment of reflection.
He was a contributor and good example of what many of us would like to be remembered as.[sm=sleeping.gif]
Old 04-20-2007, 01:26 PM
henryj

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We are here for a relatively SHORT time....

It really is our actions and deeds that count....

If one is "LOW LIFE" so be it......
Old 04-20-2007, 04:04 PM
Hossfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nice words and an OUTSTANDING CHOICE of a subject title for the thread, henryj.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:04 PM
w4sm

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What an incredible loss! Although I haven't seen Dave for many years, I was there near the beginning of his modelling career and had recently been in e-mail contact with him

In the late 1960's I was a teenager growing up in Hampton, Va. My dad worked for NASA at Langley field and took me there to fly my first "build it yourself" RC model, an 049-powered Goldberg Cessna, rudder only, using an escapement and a Lafayette super-regenerative receiver..... one click right, two clicks, left. Man, that takes me back! Since the receiver was super-regenerative, no one else could fly while I did! Before long, I met this amazing guy at the Langley club field who could fly anything, built almost all his planes from scratch, usually his own designs, and could always be counted on for help.... that was Dave Robelen. He was then about 28 years old, skinny as ever, and the absolute pinnacle of RC knowledge and skill. I was one of many Dave helped to fly and fall in love with this hobby. He let me visit his home workshop where I met his first wife Diane and their newly born son, and he took me to a wonderful model field at West Point, north of Hampton, where I met his dad, Horace. On one of my visits to Dave's home, I was the absent-minded teenager and forgot to lock the gate when I left. The dog escaped, and I think it took Dave and Diane all night to find him. I'm sure Dave was REALLY IRRITATED with me, and I was mortified when I heard what happened. As I recall, though, all he did was smile at me and say, "Try to remember to lock the gate next time. It took a little while to find the dog."

I still have a few items of Dave's that I purchased MANY years ago at SEVRCG auctions. One is a small storage box with a hand-stamped brass plaque that says, "D.B. Robelen" on it in neat letters. Unfortunately, I had several of his tiny models that were destroyed in a house fire in 1973.

Dave was ALWAYS pushing the edges of modelling. Even back then he was experimenting with micro-flight, flying tiny 010-powered 1 and 2 channel RC models whenever the winds were calm enough to allow. I recall a tiny, absolutely beautiful CO2 powered engine that he designed and built himself. The machining tolerances and finish on that little engine were absolutely amazing!

I moved away from Hampton, went to college and dropped out of modelling for about four years. When I got back in, I started by scratch building one of Daves's Pronto's and worked my way up to flying RC pattern. Dave was occasionally a judge of my flying... he was TOUGH but fair!

When I stopped flying pattern in the mid-1980's, I dropped out of modelling completely for about 20 years and lost touch with Dave. A couple of years ago, I started flying electric planes and helicopters in my backyard, started reading Model Aviation again, and there was Dave! We exchanged a few very nice e-mails, and I had planned to drive down to Farmville to visit him on a sunny day when we could do some flying... unfortunately, it didn't happen.

For some strange reason, a couple of weeks ago I started thinking about visiting Dave and tumbled upon the post in this group regarding his hospitalization and then a few days later his death. What a tragedy! I always figured Dave would live forever. He was only 67 years old, skinny as ever, had no unhealthy vices and his father lived to be quite old. I guess it's true that the good, they die young. Dave Robelen was the genuine article. There will never be another just like him. Everyone who knew him is richer for the experience. Like most of us, I've lost my share of friends and acquaintances from my youth. They all hurt. What's amazing to me, though, is how vivid my memories are of my time with Dave 40 years later. My memory isn't that good.... he was THAT impressive!
Old 04-20-2007, 04:24 PM
Mode One

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This seems a little more reverent then the first. I hope it will stay that way! I had a great friend whom died a few years ago who was a flying models pioneer. Flew control-line from the 40s to late 60s when proportional came into being and through a control line buddy, was infected with the R/C bug. He wasn't famous; but, flew CL in the Nats several times and met some of the famous, before they were! He was my mentor, my oldest son's mentor and is sorley missed! My guess is there are several hundreds of people like this, whom were R/C buddies of us older guys whom are gone. Maybe they were WW 2 vets, whom I heard several years ago were dying at the rate of one thousand per day!
Old 04-20-2007, 07:21 PM
SSRCCPREZ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Funny, I never knew the gentlemen, but have met several just like him at tiny patches of well manicured grass where hand built toiled over creations hovered and zipped overhead. A oment out of our lives a kind word or gesture is never forgotten, most last a lifetime.

What I have actually found is that in this little obsession of ours, we have made it so AMA actually stands for Awe-inspiring Members Association.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:28 PM
SSRCCPREZ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

O.k. so I just had my $% birthday and although I am absolutley a young guy, this birthday seemed to hit me kinda hard. My knees dont feel that great, my back, well, I have a bad back, and I am very very young...although I feel old. I have grey hair in places frankly I do not want it. I have one too many and the next day I am worthless. My body is showing signs of it's age.
I was up late last night thinking of this post.....wondering what will anyone say about me when I am gone. What do I want them to say about me when I am gone.....
I guess things like"im beeter for having known him" or "he always did it his way I gotta respect that" or "he''ll be sorely missed things wont be the same". However these are all cliche. I think now that I have 30 years or so until I consider retiring, yes I am not that old, but I look around and think things were not like this in my day. MY Day. I guess I never thought I would have a "my day" thought,but I do. People were nicer when I was younger, more patient helpful,thoughtful, friendly. Not like today...except for R/Cers. Chances are things I do at our club will never grace the pages of MA or any othe rpublication. Any model I buiold will never make it on the cover or inside the magazine, unless I submit it in the reader's section. Actually in an odd way I am uncomfortable with any praise that I receive or am do. I think I would just rather everyone I help pay it forward. I would love for that to be my legacy. If I by chance did something to soemone that they appreciated I hope that in thanks to me they do something for someone else. Maybe this is weird I don't know. What I do know is that I am another year older, another year wiser, and I am starting to think NOW about all the changes I would like to make in myself and the community around me.