Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Why no AMA discount for active military?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Why no AMA discount for active military?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 04:56 PM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why no AMA discount for active military?

I noticed that on the AMA website, they proudly tout that they are "... In support of those serving to protect our freedom." Ok, I suppose there's some nominal value in making a statement, but I'd ask if they back it up with action.

Anyone else out there think that AMA should demonstrate their "support of those serving" by offering membership discounts to active duty members of the U.S. military services and activated reservists?

Seems like a no-brainer if they mean what they say.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:18 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Default RE: Why no AMA discount for active military?

I could understand a discount if there was a profit to be made-but as I understand AMA is not for profit. I do appreciate the providers of freedom for us. My nephew is in Iraq at this time and I would gladly buy him AMA membership if he so desires, I am keeping his airplanes ready and they fly nice (just kidding).
Old 04-25-2007, 06:21 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: franklin_m

I noticed that on the AMA website, they proudly tout that they are "... In support of those serving to protect our freedom." Ok, I suppose there's some nominal value in making a statement, but I'd ask if they back it up with action.

Anyone else out there think that AMA should demonstrate their "support of those serving" by offering membership discounts to active duty members of the U.S. military services and activated reservists?

Sounds good to me as soon as they add on a special assessment to those that are of military age and qualified but refuse to volunteer and especially any that are not currently employed in a productive job or is on unemployment or welfare.

edit: spelling
Old 04-25-2007, 06:28 PM
waross

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a Proud Patriotic American I support no fees for active military personnel. And if the rest of us have ot add a dollar or two onto our fees so be it. Thanks to all those who serve. I just wish as a law enforcement officer we had more ability to shoot back. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK ALL YOU PROTECTORS OF FREEDOM!!
Old 04-25-2007, 07:15 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: waross

As a Proud Patriotic American I support no fees for active military personnel. And if the rest of us have ot add a dollar or two onto our fees so be it. Thanks to all those who serve. I just wish as a law enforcement officer we had more ability to shoot back. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK ALL YOU PROTECTORS OF FREEDOM!!
I'm with you, waross. We subsidize dues for the kids, and for the elder members. Seems only fitting to do so for those that deserve it most. Hey AMA - how about at least waiving membership dues for one active military for every six members eligible for the discount that opt to pay full fare? That results in no impact on net revenue flow.

Abel
Old 04-25-2007, 07:17 PM
franklin_m

Looks like I've stirred the pot a bit. Great! Like the exchange of ideas.

FYI, there are many "for profit" organizations offer discounts for active duty military, so there's ample precedent. For a number of years now Sea World and other Anheuser-Busch parks have offered free admission for active duty and some number of family members (four I recall). Squaw Valley lets active duty military ski for free; the Caesars Pocono Resorts in Pennsylvania, Cove Haven, Paradise Stream, Pocono Palace, and the family resort Brookdale offer a 50% military discount Sunday thru Thursday and a 10% discount on Friday and Saturday to Active Duty and Retirees; Royal Caribbean Cruise is offering military discounts on many of their cruises for Active Duty military and retirees on many of their cruises; Sandals Resorts in Jamaica, Antigua, St. Lucia and the Bahamas now offer 20% discount for Active Duty military; Home Depot offers military discount every Veteran's Day; just to name a few.

Will be interesting to see if AMA puts action behind the words.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:28 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Why does the AMA need to offer such a discount? We get a lot for what we pay for. The AMA is supporting the freedom to fly model aircraft. When I want to go and fly, I can because of the AMA. How are they not "In support of those serving to protect our freedom"?

50%
Old 04-25-2007, 08:05 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Active duty in a war zone today, is risking getting blown up, so WE can play with our toy airplanes in peace.

The rest of the statements do not matter.

Or should we give membership only when they are killed ??

Cyclops
Old 04-25-2007, 08:48 PM
franklin_m

50% makes the point about why offer the discount for military. Ok, that's fine, but logically unsupportable as long as they offer discounts for other groups and yet display the "In support of..." thing on the website. If AMA doesn't want to offer disount to military, then so be it. Then stop insulting the service of the brave Americans with the website display that is nothing more than a few characters in HTML code with nothing meaningful behind it.

Actions speak louder than words - discounts for seniors; nothing but words for military.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:14 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

50% makes the point about why offer the discount for military. Ok, that's fine, but logically unsupportable as long as they
//snip// Actions speak louder than words - discounts for seniors; nothing but words for military.

By all means correct me if I'm again wrong, however before you jump on 50% too much, isn't 50% now on active military duty?

And franklin_m while I have no problem with your thoughts at all, may I ask how many years have you spent on active duty and how many years combat ready status? How many years working at AMA events, serving club positions, events, and still paying dues?
Sure it would be great if AMA could do something for the serviceman. However if AMA raised your dues a $ to pay for it, just who would be the first to gripe?
There is another thread here Ping and Ming about what do you get for $58. No one is ever satisfied. Everyone thinks THEIR dues should be PAYED by SOMEONE else. [:@]
Old 04-25-2007, 09:40 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: PLANE JIM

I could understand a discount if there was a profit to be made-but as I understand AMA is not for profit.
That's right on the money.

When I wore the uniform, I did it for three reasons. I loved my country, I felt the need to serve my country, and I felt I'd be a better citizen for having served. I didn't do it to get discounts from anyone, and I didn't do it to save the sales tax on my cigarette purchases. I never asked anyone to give me a discount, and I never told anyone who said they were proud of me or that they supported me that their kind, heartfelt words weren't enough. I certainly never asked them to put their money where their mouth is, just for having the gall to appreciate what I was doing.

These sorts of self-serving requests are shameful. Why did you join the service, franklin_m, and why are you asking for handouts? Show some pride, acknowledge the sentiment, and move on. Above all, don't try to shame an organization for being willing to publicly say thank you. Should you take advantage of discounts when freely offered and given? Of course. To ask for one, however... where is your pride?!
Old 04-25-2007, 09:54 PM
binky99

ORIGINAL: MikeL

ORIGINAL: PLANE JIM

I could understand a discount if there was a profit to be made-but as I understand AMA is not for profit.
That's right on the money.

When I wore the uniform, I did it for three reasons. I loved my country, I felt the need to serve my country, and I felt I'd be a better citizen for having served. I didn't do it to get discounts from anyone, and I didn't do it to save the sales tax on my cigarette purchases. I never asked anyone to give me a discount, and I never told anyone who said they were proud of me or that they supported me that their kind, heartfelt words weren't enough. I certainly never asked them to put their money where their mouth is, just for having the gall to appreciate what I was doing.

These sorts of self-serving requests are shameful. Why did you join the service, franklin_m, and why are you asking for handouts? Show some pride, acknowledge the sentiment, and move on. Above all, don't try to shame an organization for being will to publicly say thank you. Should you take advantage of discounts when freely offered and given? Of course. To ask for one, however... where is your pride?!
Very well said MikeL........
Although I have not served in the military and I am very proud of those that do........I am in law enforcement....and I ask for no breaks, discounts etc. because of my job. If a business wants to give me a deal for being out there...then so be it. I don't ask for a break, seek it out or anticipate them giving me a break.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:10 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As a veteran, I could not agree more with MikeL. If the AMA, or for that matter any organization wants to offer a deal of some kind for our military, then more power to them, but to expect such a thing is wrong. Dave
Old 04-25-2007, 10:18 PM
50%plane

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

50% makes the point about why offer the discount for military. Ok, that's fine, but logically unsupportable as long as they
//snip// Actions speak louder than words - discounts for seniors; nothing but words for military.

By all means correct me if I'm again wrong, however before you jump on 50% too much, isn't 50% now on active military duty?

And franklin_m while I have no problem with your thoughts at all, may I ask how many years have you spent on active duty and how many years combat ready status? How many years working at AMA events, serving club positions, events, and still paying dues?
Sure it would be great if AMA could do something for the serviceman. However if AMA raised your dues a $ to pay for it, just who would be the first to gripe?
There is another thread here Ping and Ming about what do you get for $58. No one is ever satisfied. Everyone thinks THEIR dues should be PAYED by SOMEONE else. [:@]
Well said Hoss! You got it right, I am active duty.

Franklin_m, thank you for your thoughts, but I don't need a discount. Thank you for paying your tax dollars so that I can have such an awsome job! It's because of you that I can serve. It's because of you that I can proudly wear my uniform. I have everything that I need. It's a privilege that I can fly my model aircraft. The AMA does a great job protecting my freedom to fly RC. $58 is not to much to ask.

Have a wonderful day!
50%
Old 04-25-2007, 11:34 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

FWIW Hoss, it wouldn't be me. I'm not eligible for any of the discounts offered by AMA for membership, but I'd match the contribution of anyone that foregos the discount with an equal increase in my dues, if applied to this purpose. I know none of them are asking for it. That doesn't matter to me, and if acceptance of the offer if made available is rejected by some due to pride, I will very well understand that too.

Abel
Old 04-26-2007, 08:14 AM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well if I had a choice between a grant to someone for education or grants to USA servicemen and women.

USA service people getting killed deserve first refusal at, " extra money " projects that dues are spent on.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:17 AM
franklin_m

Wow, interesting to see the turnaround. But I think folks are missing the point. Concentrate on the disconnect between what AMA says and what AMA does.

If they're going to advertise that they are "... In support of those serving to protect our freedom" on their website, then they need to actually DO something for those that fit the criteria. If they don't want to DO anything, then I'm ok with that, but I think it then only appropriate that the remove the statement from their website...since it's meaningless w/o action.

FYI, look at the pay tables, and concentrate look hard at the junior enlisted grades, folks whom make up the majority of the force. These kids are doing it for pride, but we're not paying them all that well either. Would be nice to slip them a bene or two here and there. Might keep some of them spending their money on healthy activities instead of less healthy activities. Also, unlike years ago, much more of our force is married than before, stretching budgets even further.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:39 AM
50%plane

Wow, interesting to see the turnaround. But I think folks are missing the point. Concentrate on the disconnect between what AMA says and what AMA does.

If they're going to advertise that they are "... In support of those serving to protect our freedom" on their website, then they need to actually DO something for those that fit the criteria. If they don't want to DO anything, then I'm ok with that, but I think it then only appropriate that the remove the statement from their website...since it's meaningless w/o action.
You're missing the point Franklin_m. The AMA IS " In support of those serving to protect our freedom." They do a lot!! Maybe not what you, Waross, Abel, and Cyclops want to see, but they do! The AMA protects my Freedom to fly my models. They played a huge part in securing the 72MHz band and are working hard as 2.4 GHz takes center stage. The list is very long. I don't feel the need to turn this into Ptulmer's thread, but if you want more info, check it out here:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5762144/tm.htm

FYI, look at the pay tables, and concentrate look hard at the junior enlisted grades, folks whom make up the majority of the force. These kids are doing it for pride, but we're not paying them all that well either. Would be nice to slip them a bene or two here and there. Might keep some of them spending their money on healthy activities instead of less healthy activities. Also, unlike years ago, much more of our force is married than before, stretching budgets even further.
With all due respect, have you ever been in the military in these junior enlisted grades? If not, then you have no idea of what you're talking about.

Have a wonderful day!
50%

(edited to add link to Ptulmer's thread)
Old 04-26-2007, 09:14 AM
P-51B

ORIGINAL: abel_pranger

I'm with you, waross. We subsidize dues for the kids, and for the elder members. Seems only fitting to do so for those that deserve it most. Hey AMA - how about at least waiving membership dues for one active military for every six members eligible for the discount that opt to pay full fare? That results in no impact on net revenue flow.

Abel

I agree with this, with the following change. Get rid of the elderly discount and student discount. The elderly have worked enough to be able to afford it, and the kids are subsidized by their parents, who, if they can afford to pony up the $600 to get into the hobby should be able to afford more than $1.00 for membership fees.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:26 AM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: 50%plane

You're missing the point Franklin_m. The AMA IS " In support of those serving to protect our freedom." They do a lot!! Maybe not what you, Waross, Abel, and Cyclops want to see, but they do! The AMA protects my Freedom to fly my models. They played a huge part in securing the 72MHz band and are working hard as 2.4 GHz takes center stage. The list is very long.
Securing the 72 MHz band happened many years ago. Hoss can relate the scope of the "huge part" AMA played better than I. The "working hard" re 2.4 GHz appears to be on the part of the TD alone, and amounts to an endorsement of what was done by vendors to the hobby completely apart from AMA promotion or involvement of any kind. If this is "The AMA in support of those serving to protect our freedom," it is at best incidental that active military might benefit, and no more substantive than my placing a "Support Our Troops" sticker on the rear bumper of my pickup truck.

Abel
Old 04-26-2007, 09:42 AM
ptulmer

I certainly wouldn't mind paying a bit more to subsidize lower rates for those in the service. It shouldn't be used as an excuse to increase revenue, though. I don't see a disconnect between what they do and say, either. You can support someone with actions or words, or both. It would also be good PR for the AMA. Oops, they'll never go for it then.

Seriously, the reason it's a good idea is that people always like to know their actions on our behalf are appreciated. While words are nice, money is better. Just ask my wife when it's time for me to apologize again. What dollar value can you put on that feeling someone gets when they realize that their hard work has just been recognized. It's probably the best feeling a guy can ever have.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:52 AM
50%plane

ORIGINAL: P-51B

ORIGINAL: abel_pranger

Abel

I agree with this, with the following change. Get rid of the elderly discount and student discount. The elderly have worked enough to be able to afford it, and the kids are subsidized by their parents, who, if they can afford to pony up the $600 to get into the hobby should be able to afford more than $1.00 for membership fees.
I think that the senior and student discounts should stay. When I started into RC I was able to take advantage of the $1 membership fee. If it weren't for that, I probably wouldn't have continued with RC. As a kid I didn't realize the big picture. I loved buying RC stuff, but the AMA seemed like an pointless thing to spend my money on. I've never been subsidized by my parents and would likely have found something better to spend my money on.

As far as the Senior rates, my grandparents pay a lot on medical bills. I would hate to see my grandfather(who introduced me to RC) give up the hobby because it was too expensive.

Have a great day!
50%
Old 04-26-2007, 09:52 AM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

If a person's concern is junior enlisted members with a family, then you'd best start subsidizing their airplanes for them, too. Not too many of them can drop $500 to get started. It's not the $58 AMA fee that's the hurdle.

My question, then, is this. franklin_m, how many AMA memberships for servicemen have you paid for? I certainly hope you're not just saying someone else should do something, as you seem to think that words alone are hollow gestures. Tell us about the models you have donated and about the specific soldiers/airmen/seamen/Marines you've donated them to. I'm curious to hear about it.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:54 AM
franklin_m

Interesting that to push for a quality of life improvement for my troops requires me to justify that I've been one. In fact, yes I have. Reached E5 before I switched over to the officer side. Now, 21+ years later, with over 100 green ink entries in my logbook from three conflicts, two little things with "V"s on them, I'm responsible for almost 7000 of them plus their families. I'll be honest, they're strapped for money. Most families work two jobs just to make ends meet. Our relief organizations are providing support at record levels already this year, despite a much smaller total force. Troops are turning to payday lenders, high interest loans, and sub-prime borrowing just to get ahead. Child care costs for these young families are skyrocketing, and most live paycheck to paycheck. I've got more facts and supporting documentation than I know what to do with. And, oh by the way, I've buried three in the last 12 months.

I do not see how, in good conscience, AMA can say that they are "In support of those serving to protect our freedom" yet offer nothing in the way of a discount -- when they offer discounts to other groups instead.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:02 AM
franklin_m

Some asked what I've done in support of AMA -- well, was working to establish a flying field -- something AMA needs badly. Quite honestly, AMA's reluctance to offer discounts is starting to weigh on my personal willingness to expend any more time and effort to go down that route. As for individuals, have not paid for any memberships -- so you've got me there. I guess that makes all the other points invalid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.