AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Member Voice in AMA

Old 05-02-2007, 11:34 AM
abel_pranger

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Member Voice in AMA

The AMA EC met 21 Apr, and today (2 May) the Motions are still not posted on the AMA web site. Nothing unusual about that, it has become SOP. Without knowing what the major issues being considered are until after they have been acted on by the EC, the rhetoric about AMA being 'our' organization is lacking in substance. As in the past, if there is dissatisfaction expressed over some action(s) the EC has taken, the reply will be 'We represent you the members and are always open to your inputs. Why didn't you let us know what you wanted?' I wonder how other members feel about this, and particularly those that will run for office this year.

Abel
Old 05-02-2007, 12:43 PM
SSRCCPREZ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Member Voice in AMA

Well Abel, I guess the first thing to address is what do the by-laws state the executive board has for time in publishing or making public the minutes of each meeting... If they are allowed 14 days, than they are well within their by-laws. If the By-laws do not specifically state a time frame, than that would be the first issue to address.
I can tell you that generally speaking membership of any organization is RE-active and rarely PRO-active. It is far easier for a membership to complain or be opposed to what actions have been taken (re-active) rather than intelligently and with brevity communicate to the right peope what the membership would like done (PRO-Active).
Before we start chuckin more disastisfaction staones at current or hopeful exec board members lets determine if there is a by-law that they are adhering to or violating.

SSRCCPREZ
Old 05-02-2007, 01:08 PM
abel_pranger

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Prez, I'm concerned about what is right, not what the by-laws state. The AMA by-laws have fallen by the wayside, to be superseded by standing rules. I don't see that changing anytime soon. Incorporating standing rules into the by-laws would require a vote by Leader Members, and they have not been allowed any more voice in AMA governance than the general membership has, except as a qualifier for running for AMA office. Do you know when was the last time an issue was presented to LM's for consideration and vote?

Abel
Old 05-02-2007, 01:30 PM
SSRCCPREZ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Abel, I understand and agree with your concern with what is right,however standing rules and By-laws in this type of setting are what is right. Havin said that, Right is a loose term. My point was a change in standing rules and by-laws that they are NOT violating is different than a willful violation of said by-laws. The Exec board of the AMA is held to and given their powers by those By-laws, as is the case with most exec. boards at local clubs etc.

Believe me, I am not arguing with you, I am in FULL agreement, what I am after here is if this is an issue of a vote to change rules or a violation. the difference in the two is great and puts this issue in seperate lights.

SSRCCPREZ
Old 05-02-2007, 02:18 PM
abel_pranger

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Prez-

Whether there is a need to change the rules or correct a violation, in either case the action(s) address solution(s). Before talking about solutions, there needs to be a recognition of the problem(s). My question was "Is there a problem?" Can we agree on that and discuss scoping the problem (if any) first? Seems we are in agreement that something doesn't seem right. I'm not going to quibble over narrowly defining 'right.' What I mean is what the members that desire to have some measure of control, in a democratic way, in their organization want. If 'right' doesn't fit, give me a better word and I'll edit my opening post to substitute.
"...........of the people, by the people, for the people," some famous words that most Americans express a strong belief in. It is the word 'by' in that phrase that I wonder if AMA leadership and members think important.

Abel
Old 05-02-2007, 02:50 PM
SSRCCPREZ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Agreed, I just want to be sure we are not making something out of nothing. If we are not getting the information in a timely manner because it has never been made an "issue" in the past or is there a more nepharious reason. Issue is there is something just not correct with witholding information from those who one is supposed to represent.
I cannot believe Hoss has not jumped in here yet.....HOSS..HOSS..We're beatin up the Exec. Board...get Over here!!! (j/k)
Bottom line a week is enough time to get the information typed proofed, and posted. I think I am going to call the AMA and see what's going on. Want me to report back what I am told?
Let me know.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:42 PM
Hossfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: SSRCCPREZ

Agreed, I just want to be sure we are not making something out of nothing. If we are not getting the information in a timely manner because it has never been made an "issue" in the past or is there a more nepharious reason. Issue is there is something just not correct with witholding information from those who one is supposed to represent.
OH BUT IT HAS!. Within the past years of posting such on a web site, the increased time between the posting of the minutes of a meeting and the number of items of significance, especially those screwing the membership, have historically been directly proportional. I have brought that topic here a number of times. The most significant one was when AMA purchased the Trade Show from the Northrops. They did not wish to release that little tidbit. It has been rather funny.

I cannot believe Hoss has not jumped in here yet.....HOSS..HOSS..We're beatin up the Exec. Board...get Over here!!! (j/k)
Bottom line a week is enough time to get the information typed proofed, and posted. I think I am going to call the AMA and see what's going on. Want me to report back what I am told?
Let me know.

Sorry, but this is my slow time. Had a meeting this AM and things are going fairly better than I expected with my cataract surgery this past Friday plus my neuralgia problem seems to be doing better, so I was not on the confuser this AM except with my pool man. His bill to replaster my pool at $6000.00 did generate another migraine.

Anyway I did present you the Agenda a while back:
>>>New Stuff for Your Efforts; - 4/9/2007 11:10:51 AM <<<<
That was all there was to contact a DVP about prior to EC action. Now whatever comes up in the meeting is always something that has to be fixed after the fact. That happens. I have recovered a few items that the EC really went overboard on. It just take a a little "_ell raisin' ". Some times I win, sometimes I lose, sometimes I get rained out. One cannot be meek when fighting commies!! I certainly have made NO INROADS on this MA thing yet! But "Tomorrow is another day."

When I was a DVP the #1 problem -- no one had computers back then, '79-82, -- no one else seemed to come to the meetings prepared. I spent 2 weeks on layovers reading and reviewing everything I could get, plus a couple days prior to going to the meeting, plus reviewing on the trip out to wherever the meeting was. I studied and knew about every subject to be discussed, every subject discussed within the past 2 years, and conversational about every subject within the past 10 years of council meetings. Up until I retired, I visited a few EC meetings. I received the impression that little has changed there.

So for all, it is the same in whatever item one is trying to discuss. When one person has no conception of the subject material and the other has to retrain that one then very little discussion is accomplished. Go try to talk with any DVP and pick a topic from some EC meeting of 6 months ago or more. Bet you a 6-pack he will not have a clue what you are talking about! [&o]

Old 05-02-2007, 03:49 PM
Jim Thomerson

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I see that the AMA will hold a membership meeting at the Joe Nall Fly-in.

In my department, our working papers stated that an agenda had to be posted x days before a faculty meeting, else there would be no meeting.

I was department chair under one Dean who posted the agenda for the Chairs' meeting well in advance, and with another who would not post agendas. Quite a difference in how the meetings went.

I wonder how early the EC receives the agenda. Seems to me I recall our VP asking for member input on a coming agenda item.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:14 AM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Abel,
I could really care less what the EC does or does not do or how they run it-maybe you need to run for a elected position and make changes if you have such contempt for those that were elected by the membership.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:49 AM
SSRCCPREZ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Plane Jim, I do not think Abel has "contempt" for the EC, but does,as a member, expect accountability and transparancy. I see Abel only asking the question as to wether or not anyone feels that there is something fishy with the length of time between the meeting and the publishing of the minutes and how complete they may or may not be. I would hardly cal this CONTEMPT!! He wants clarity.

Let's be careful the words we use in interpreting one's post.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:52 AM
abel_pranger

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thank you for sharing that with the class, Jim.
I have decided not to run for a elected position, as it appears the field will be well filled with qualified contenders for the position of most interest to me in the next election. I'm now trying to decide which of them will deserve my vote.

Abel
Old 05-03-2007, 11:23 AM
Hossfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: PLANE JIM

Abel,
I could really care less what the EC does or does not do or how they run it-maybe you need to run for a elected position and make changes if you have such contempt for those that were elected by the membership.
SSRC: "Let's be careful the words we use in interpreting one's post."
Re: SSRC and intrepretation: Plane Jim: You say you could "....care less what the EC does or does not do..." I intrepret that to mean that YOU, therefore, do care SOME or more since you say you could care LESS. On the other hand I believe from your context you use a phrase originated by someone somewhere without a clue of the English language, and passed on by those with the same understanding of such language. Those persons also may be the same ones that pass the sound "irregardless" which while given some credit as nonstandard and humorus as a word, it definitely is not considered a complement to the user.
Therefore I interpret that you actually mean that You JIM, COULD NOT CARE LESS. Am I correct in my intrepretation?

Unfortunately Jim, every day in all our modeling affairs we observe how those that "....could NOT care less..." create problems for all active modelers from the school yard fliers to the paid professionals doing the airshows for Great Planes, Hobbico, Horizon, ETC. You folks are definitely in the majority. Again it's unfortunate in this case, because our specific minority certainly doesn't attract much attention. [&o]
Old 05-03-2007, 10:20 PM
PLANE JIM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think Abel and Horrace must be right, so I better just listen.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:10 PM
jrjohn
My Feedback: (24)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think a lot of people are starting to quesiton how the AMA is run where all the money goes and why. I have a question. Does anybody know of a club or clubs that do not belong to the AMA and have purchased their own insurance from a private carrier?

Thank you

John
Old 05-04-2007, 10:54 PM
PLANE JIM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I know of no clubs that are not AMA, we have just lost our lease in NE Houston and now are in the search of leasing another field, The first thing that the landowner asked "Does your club have any liability insurance?", I am unaware of any clubs that operate without AMA affiliation, we also having been speaking with the local government and they were also inquiring about insurance coverage. We have a member of our club that owns 65 acres which is located fairly close to another rc field in the area (1.4 miles) that has offered to the club for $100.00 per year, but he will require everyone to be a AMA member which is ok I guess, we formed a committee tonight to take the lead and move forward.