Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Why Bob Upton should be inducted into the Hall of Fame

AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Why Bob Upton should be inducted into the Hall of Fame

Old 05-05-2007, 09:55 PM
MVVS ENGINES
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Why Bob Upton should be inducted into the Hall of Fame

We lost a legend. Bob Upton passed away.

There is absolutely no doubt Bob Upton should be in the AMA hall of fame. He was a modeler's modeler, a dear friend, and the most genuine modeler of our time.

It is simple why Bob should be in the Hall of Fame, he has built more airplanes in his lifetime than any other modeler I know of in the entire world. He designed kits, scratch built kits, and built every type of airplane I know of...from Full Scale airplanes to Scale RC, Free Flight, Control Line, FunFLy, Electric, 3D, Paper, Foam, you name it, he has built and flown it!

We miss you dearly ol' friend, you've been in my Hall of Fame since the day I met you! We love you Bob and will see to it that you are inducted into the Hall of Fame, I'm just sorry we didn't do it while you were still with us. Save us a spot on your building board up there, I hope they have all the tools you need! Modeling will never be the same without you.

The day he had a stroke he finished the final coat of an airplane....he flew a kite with his grandchild.
Flying was a part of Bob. Not only could he build, but he could also fly like the wind. He flew everything he built.

We lost a Legend, let's not forget him. Put him in the AMA Hall of Fame. It's obvious Bob deserves the Hall of Fame.

I urge you to tell your story about Bob to the AMA and get him inducted into the Hall of Fame.

Respectfully,
Robert Kozak

You can see a picture of Bob with a few of his planes here: http://morrishobbies.com/gallery/warbirds/DSC01306
Old 05-05-2007, 11:33 PM
ICE 32 ICEMAN

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Why Bob Upton should be inducted into the Hall of Fame

Robert Kozak's (owner of Morris Hobbies) brother MARK owned and operated JUST HOBBIES up until several years ago in The Woodlands, Texas. This was a haven for modelers in the North Houston area. We were all lucky when Bob Upton came to work there after his retirement. He was always working on a project in his spare time at the shop or at his April Sound home shop. When you came into the hobby shop he'd always drop what he was doing to help you and then take extra time to talk you through the finer points of making your project better.

Kids were his specialty! More than once he'd take some kid under his wing and give him some sort of something to work on. He'd always prod a kid to do something better with him/herself. There was always that school project mousetrap car or some other school project that was a pain in the rear for any other hobby shop to deal with but he'd take it on in a way that made the kid stop and think and then DO the project himself. I can remember more than one smart-alec kid that always had a "better" way of doing the project but invariably would become stumped. Bob would always come back in a firm but gentle way and show the kid the error of his ways! He'd learn from his mistakes and go away a better person.

While working at JUST HOBBIES there came a time that advertising was going to have to come into play and pump up sales. Kevin Fotorny used his camera and computer wizardry to make a commercial that opened up new avenues for the shop. In the commercial a grandfather played by Bob would answer his grandson's question of "When can we go flying, Grandad?" Over a period of time the Grandfather and his grandson (played in the commercial by my son) would eventually build a quarter scale Stearman. This was one of Bob's masterpieces and is still mentioned among modelers all over the Houston area. This bird was gorgeous! When the time came in the commercial to pass the transmitter to his "grandson" for his chance to fly the Stearman, Bob handed the transmitter over to my then eleven-year-old son. Kyle flew his Stearman for a good four or five minutes while various shots were filmed. While this was probably excruciating for Bob to hand over the controls to an eleven year old pilot, he found himself at ease within seconds. Probably getting to fly the Stearman was a huge honor for my son but even more rewarding for him was the handshake, hug and job well done from Bob after the plane was landed.

It was my honor to know Bob Upton for about sixteen years. During that time we flew together on many occasion and visited in each other's homes and shops. His creations were fabulous. His mind was keen. His ideas made you want to know more about him. A day or so after he died, I got an e-mail saying a fellow modeler had "Googled Bob Upton." I decided to do the same and was simply astounded at the information about this man! In our conversations through the years, he'd drop names of modeling icons he'd known. When I read framed letters from some of his best modeling friends on his shop walls, I knew this guy was the "real deal!" These were close, personal friends...... Cliff Weirick, Phil Kraft to name a couple. He was a master modeler. A nice guy. A great friend to all he came in contact with. Others of you will come forth with your stories. One by one we will all ask you to do what is necessary to ask the AMA to consider this great man of modeling to be considered for induction to the AMA Hall of Fame. I really look forward to flying with you again, my friend!
Happy flying to you Bob......
Terry Foote
Conroe, Tx
Old 05-06-2007, 12:14 AM
Hossfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello Terry:

That certainly makes for a sad day. Bob Upton was a Master of Masters and a gentleman's gentleman. A sad day for us all as he will be sorely missed. Sorry Robert and Mark, it's not so much your Hobby Shop that I missed but the visits with Bob were the big miss when the store closed.

Terry, the form for nomination to the Hall of Fame is http://www.modelaircraft.org/PDF-files/152.pdf. I think the nominations are due in Feb/Mar. That needs a check-out at AMA. It requires a lot of work. The Committee is listed in the AMA Members Only Section.
The nomination is good for 3 years and can be updated each year. I have nominated 3 persons over some 20 years. 2 were inducted on the 2nd time and 1 was passed over 3 times. SAD! Runs a big warbird show just west of here each Sep. U-no-who.
You know Jerry Nelson of Nelson water-based paints. He would be a great reference for getting Bob in the HOF. Maybe Robert should give him a call.

So sorry for all Bob's relatives. Gentle Winds West and Rest in Peace, Friend.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:04 PM
ICE 32 ICEMAN

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Horrace,
Thanks for the kind words. I can assure you there are tons of people working on it as we speak. I saw people at that memorial service with tears in their eyes. (I was one of them.) There is just a huge void without Bob. It feels kinda weird knowing his home phone number and now you can't just pick up the phone and call him. We'll give Jerry a call in our quest to see this through.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 05-07-2007, 09:01 AM
TMK060

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bob Upton (along with Gene Dobesh) taught me to fly several years ago. That I would have this level of expertise available was an honor. All of this was done in the service of the sport and genuinely being a caring soul. I support Bob Upton's nomination for The Hall of Flame!

Thomas M. Kozak, Ph.D.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:55 PM
MVVS ENGINES

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

To read Bob Upton's Autobiography presented for AMA Hall of Fame review go here: [link=https://www.modelaircraft.org/museum/bio/Upton.pdf]https://www.modelaircraft.org/museum/bio/Upton.pdf[/link]