Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

They're Posted !

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

They're Posted !

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 11:20 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default They're Posted !

Web Site; Academy of Model Aeronautics

http://www.modelaircraft.org/0407ecmotions.asp

AMA Executive Council
Meeting Motions/Acclamations
April 21-22, 2007
Muncie, Indiana

MOTION I: Moved by M. Smith (IX), seconded by C. Bauer (VI) to separate into two requirements in the AMA Leader Club Award program, that a club must have been an AMA Chartered Club for a minimum of five years; and club membership is open to all AMA members and is not limited to a certain number (closed membership).
MOTION passed: 12-Y; 1-Abstention (NAA)

MOTION II: Moved by T. Stillman (V), seconded by M. Smith (IX) to allow the District Vice President to waive any one of the six absolute requirements.

MOTION III: Moved by M. Smith (IX), seconded by T. Stillman (V) to authorize the Executive Director to hire someone to make a study of why and where the water is leaking in the HQ building.

MOTION IV: Moved by T. Stillman (V), seconded by B. Nelson (XI) to authorize Headquarters to implement a host/hostess program.

MOTION V: Moved by A. Argenio (I), seconded by B. Brown (III) to designate a new park flier field with Spread Spectrum use only. No major development will be made to this site without consultation with the Property Committee. Mowing will be done to establish a runway.

MOTION VI: Moved by J. Rice (VIII), seconded by T. Stillman (V) designated sites not in conflict with an organized event will be available for open flying on Spread Spectrum.

MOTION VII: Moved by B. Teague (IV), seconded by J. Rice (VIII) to approve an upgrade to the electrical service in the production area.

MOTION VIII: Moved by M. Smith (IX), seconded by T. Stillman (V) approve the purchase of a vehicle to transport the host/hostess.
MOTION passed: 11-Y; 1-Abstention (NAA) (District IV VP not in room at time of vote)

MOTION IX: Moved by D. Mathewson (II), seconded by T. Stillman (V) to accept the recommendation of the Insurance Committee to approach our insurance company to modify language in the Westchester General Liability Policy to provide primary general liability protection to officers of AMA Chartered Clubs in good standing for vicarious liability for the actions of others.
*Note: This additional coverage is for the five officers listed on the club officer sheet, i.e. President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer and Safety Officer (coordinator), this is assuming that one of the above officers is also named as the contact person for that club.

MOTION X: Moved by D. Mathewson (II), seconded by T. Stillman (V) to accept the recommendation of the Insurance Committee to add language to the Westchester General Liability Policy to extend liability coverage to AMA Special Interest Groups in good standing equivalent to that which is provided AMA Chartered Clubs.

MOTION XI: Moved by T. Stillman (V), seconded by J. Rice (VIII) to remove the requirement of the declaration of a disaster for the Club Disaster Assistance Program.
MOTION passed: 12-Y

MOTION XII: Moved by B. Teague (IV), seconded by R. Hanson (X) that the Executive Council requires written Air Show Team Program proposals for review and will determine whether funding will be made available.
MOTION passed: 10-Y; 2-N (VI, IX)

Email vote:
It was approved by acclamation to change the date of the April 2007 Executive Council meeting from April 28-29, 2007 to April 21-22, 2007.

Approved by Acclamation:
It was approved by unanimous acclamation to approve the January 15, 2007 Executive Council meeting minutes.

It was approved by unanimous acclamation to send a Letter of Appreciation to Vicki Barkdull for her service.

It was approved by unanimous acclamation to approve capital expenditures for the purchase of a gator and a trailer.

It was approved by unanimous acclamation to accept the report of the Flying Site Grant Committee.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:20 AM
Jim Thomerson

Default RE: They're Posted !

How big a gator they gona get?[
Old 05-06-2007, 09:10 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the e-ticket prototype field idea, very hip.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:43 AM
Tommy_Gun

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There were some interesting motions and votes there.

I personally would like a better understanding of motion # IX.

Thats #9 for you 7EE+ gamer types.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:47 AM
abel_pranger

Yes, and good to see the new blood in the EC doing the kinds of things we expected of them. This appears to me the most productive EC meeting in years.

Abel
Old 05-06-2007, 11:13 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: Tommy_Gun

There were some interesting motions and votes there.

I personally would like a better understanding of motion # IX.

Thats #9 for you 7EE+ gamer types.
"Policy to provide primary general liability protection to officers of AMA Chartered Clubs in good standing for vicarious liability for the actions of others."

Vicarious liability is most common for parents responsible for their minor children.

Meaning if the safety officer knowingly allows or approves someone to do something which is known to be unsafe, that officer could be vicariously liable if someone else but the safety officer hurts or damages something as a result of his approval.

Sounds like the ama wants addt'l coverage for officers, but only in good standing. This motivates the clubs to put the right person in each position of the officers and increase coverge for a job well done.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:19 PM
abel_pranger

It has been discussed here within the pasts year; a search on D&O coverage should find it. I think J_R raised the topic. Kudos to the Insurance Committee for acting to enhance the value of the coverage provided to clubs. A very positive change in course - I've become inured to seeing ever more exclusions to reduce risk to the insurer(s) that we insureds buy insurance to cover, and to enforce AMA policy (and even just Dave Brown policy) by removing from insurance coverage member's activities they don't approve of.

Abel
Old 05-06-2007, 06:27 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

MOTION IX: Moved by D. Mathewson (II), seconded by T. Stillman (V) to accept the recommendation of the Insurance Committee to approach our insurance company to modify language in the Westchester General Liability Policy to provide primary general liability protection to officers of AMA Chartered Clubs in good standing for vicarious liability for the actions of others.
*Note: This additional coverage is for the five officers listed on the club officer sheet, i.e. President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer and Safety Officer (coordinator), this is assuming that one of the above officers is also named as the contact person for that club.

BOY I thought we already had this!!
Old 05-06-2007, 06:30 PM
JUGFLIER

I saw a few bones but not a real shift of any type. My first impression was "is that all?" But if you break it down there is a few things in there. My next question is "Does the AMA executive council conduct ALL business of AMA?" With all the wrangling in here and the desire to see various shifts in direction, will we see that coming out of the executive council or somewhere else?
Old 05-06-2007, 06:41 PM
JUGFLIER

MOTION IV: Moved by T. Stillman (V), seconded by B. Nelson (XI) to authorize Headquarters to implement a host/hostess program.

MOTION VIII: Moved by M. Smith (IX), seconded by T. Stillman (V) approve the purchase of a vehicle to transport the host/hostess.
MOTION passed: 11-Y; 1-Abstention (NAA) (District IV VP not in room at time of vote)

It was approved by unanimous acclamation to approve capital expenditures for the purchase of a gator and a trailer.

MOTION III: Moved by M. Smith (IX), seconded by T. Stillman (V) to authorize the Executive Director to hire someone to make a study of why and where the water is leaking in the HQ building.
MOTION passed: 12-Y; 1-Abstention (NAA

Would a plummer do?

This looks alot like the legislation by congress, just full of pork with a few bones for the constituency while we make ourselves comfy. What is the hostess for? And the car?
Old 05-06-2007, 07:28 PM
abel_pranger

Jug-

I'll take what we got, and mainly because I do see a shift (may be a fluke, maybe it will be sustained, one can hope) to actually representing the members, vs. the circle-the-wagons mindset to keep AMA treading water that has prevailed for years. Unfortunately, yes, the EC conducts all the business of AMA (except when DB goes over, under, and around them to push his own agenda), and that was the gripe behind a question I had in a contemporaneous thread about getting Motions distributed in a timely manner. There are 3 months between EC meetings, and Motions/action items are not all dreamed up the day before a meeting. We should be seeing them well before the EC meets, so we can let our DVPs how we feel about issues being considered - before they are dissed or acted on. That's representative governance, and we should at least have that. Direct democracy would be better - but after 11+ years of dictatorship, representation will do in the interim, IMHO.

Abel
Old 05-06-2007, 10:45 PM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: JUGFLIER

MOTION passed: 12-Y; 1-Abstention (NAA

Would a plummer do?

This looks alot like the legislation by congress, just full of pork with a few bones for the constituency while we make ourselves comfy. What is the hostess for? And the car?

http://www.modelaircraft.org/host_hostess.asp

AMA Seeking Volunteer Host/Hostess
(Added 5/4/07)

The Academy is reaching out to membership in a new way in 2007! Keeping watch over the 1,100-acre International Flying Site in Muncie Indiana, is a formidable task. Borrowing a very successful page from the National Park Service and many state park programs, the Academy is seeking retired volunteer couples to participate in our volunteer program as flying site hosts.
Requirements for this position are very simple:

Most (sic) possess a love of all aspects of model aviation. (Really, I copied it -- I do not know what "Most possess..." means)
Own an RV suitable for 30-day stays.
Have outstanding people skills and a willingness to represent the AMA in a positive manner to fellow members and guests.
Willing to live onsite for one month during the season (April - September).
Follow all flying site rules and guidelines.
Familiarity with model aviation and flying sites norms and customs a plus.
The Academy will provide volunteers with the following:

Camping site with full hookups.
Transportation for use on site.
Cell phone for AMA use.
Caps and golf shirts with AMA Host/Hostess designation.
Store discounts.
Duties will include:

Helping members and visitors visiting the flying site.
Helping ensure that AMA safety code is observed on the flightlines.
Helping check in/register members and visitors at the camping sites.
Communicating with AMA staff on conditions of flying site.
We are seeking two host/hostess couples for each month of the flying season. This buddy system would allow a sharing of responsibilities while covering the site most days of the week. If you would like to apply to become an AMA Host and Hostess, contact Mary Hurn at [email protected]. Because of the nature of this opportunity, we are asking for couples only. To download an application in PDF format, click here.

These positions are not available to any AMA employee or official, either past or present.

Have an email in about this one. Waiting for clarification. Seems a bit ludicrous to restrict previously elected or appointed officials from VOLUNTEERING for this chore. They would know a _ell of a lot more about the activities than the average Joe off the street. Now I could understand that no person should be a Host while being an active candidate for an office but a past official, that is typical EC -- in my opinion -- and my typical EC opinion is well known. [>:]
Old 05-07-2007, 09:47 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

<snip>
These positions are not available to any AMA employee or official, either past or present.

Have an email in about this one. Waiting for clarification. Seems a bit ludicrous to restrict previously elected or appointed officials from VOLUNTEERING for this chore. They would know a _ell of a lot more about the activities than the average Joe off the street. Now I could understand that no person should be a Host while being an active candidate for an office but a past official, that is typical EC -- in my opinion -- and my typical EC opinion is well known. [>:]
Well Hoss, I remember when you and Pharaoh had some differences of opinion regarding whether there should be provision made for some RV sites with hookups at the site of his Great Pyramid. Could it be that he has remembered you in a lucid moment?

Abel
Old 05-08-2007, 09:59 AM
Hossfly

Guess they wish to keep the Limbo pole out there:

In any case I rather feel such item is really a positive program and definitely a good way to get some volunteer help into the Muncie factor without a lot of cost. If not otherwise hindered, I would love to do so, however the couple thing is a badie because my little Mama ain't gonna' do that no way no how -- not leave the little gran' baby that long.

>>>>>>>

"While there was no time limit put in the authorization of the Host Hostess program in regards to "past" the intent of the statement was to let the membership know that the volunteer positions (and free full service camping sites) were not being set up for the convenience of the EC, staff or others. If a DVP of 25 + years applied, we would review their application in the same light as any other application. It is hard to say a DVP or other officer has to wait X number of years before they could apply. If any thing we wanted to err on the side of caution as how this would be perceived by the membership."

Jim

<<<<<<<<