Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

What discounts does the AMA need to get rid of?

AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Youth
1.25%
Senior
32.50%
Youth and Senior
7.50%
The AMA needs to have more discounts for others.
6.25%
I think it's just fine the way it is.
42.50%
Family Discount
2.50%
Affiliate Discount
7.50%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

What discounts does the AMA need to get rid of?

Old 05-09-2007, 06:45 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default What discounts does the AMA need to get rid of?

So this question has been brought up a lot in this forum over the past couple weeks. Does the AMA need discounts, and should the AMA add other discounts for specific groups of folks that could benefit from them. So, I thought I would start this poll so that we could get a grasp on how much momentum such a petition could generate.

Thanks for your time and have a wonderful day!
50%
Old 05-09-2007, 07:59 PM
Stickbuilder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: What discounts does the AMA need to get rid of?

Chris,

Nice to see that you are back in the forums. I think that the AMA E.C. has probably done a feasability study on all the discounts, and they probably work just fine as they are. I did my 26 years in the Navy, and never thought of asking for a discounted membership fee. I had a junior membership, and it was not as expensive as was an open membership, and I could not wait to get old enough to change to an open membership. Why would we wish to do away with the discounts as they stand? They do serve a real purpose, and without them, we might lose someone who might design the next major breakthrough in our hobby. I, personally, am not willing to take that risk. I realize that I am sticking my head into the lion's mouth, knowing that he is hungry. I have a feeling that some of the usual suspects will be here in force, and will not rest until this thread is closed.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 05-09-2007, 09:30 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You forgot the family discount and the affiliate discount.

Then there's the $1,500 lifetime membership. I'm 31. If I plan to be an AMA member for the another 50 years, that'd work out to $30 a year. For someone younger, that might be as little as $25/yr. For an older fellow, maybe it's no discount at all. I'm sure some would suggest that an actuary be brought in to determine what each individual's lifetime membership cost should be, taking regular dues increases into account.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:08 PM
Hossfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I voted to keep the status quo. I am a life member which I got several years ago and I am 71 now. Didn't do it to save money. Did it for the STATUS! [sm=49_49.gif]

As I said elsewhere if I were elected to the AMA Pres. I would fight to get military times extended for those days they served in combat zones. Other than that I think everyone can afford AMA dues if they can afford model aviation. The mind is not set in stone there and that item is definitely open for review and rethinking.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:23 AM
JUGFLIER

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't think anyone has put the big picture together yet. I still have not seen a thread that looks at the possibility of what services or perks could be eliminated to bring the cost of AMA down to make it more attractive to all modelers. I have seen the numbers thrown around in here and don't know how accurate they are but it has been said that our insurance is on 8 to 10.00 dollars of our dues. What does the other 50 bucks pay for? Ptulmer raised this issue and now it has jumped to everybody getting a discount or not.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:46 PM
50%plane

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mike, thanks for the correction. Poll edited. I plan on the Life membership as well.

Have a great day!
50%
Old 05-10-2007, 04:34 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You forgot an option for "all"
Old 05-10-2007, 04:53 PM
abel_pranger

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: 50%plane

Mike, thanks for the correction. Poll edited. I plan on the Life membership as well.
Chris-

By all means the Affiliate membership should not be omitted. Affiliate members include U.S. military personnel and U.S. citizens temporarily living outside the U.S., its territories, or possessions. An additional $24.00 postage and handling is required for magazine delivery outside the United States (includes APO/FPO addresses). For Those 19 and Over as of July 1 Open Full $82.00, $58 for membership +$24.00 for magazine postage/envelope.
That's only slightly more than the token $79.80 (annualized) cost for those that take advantage of the Introductory Membership program discount.
Good catch, Mike.

Abel
Old 05-11-2007, 07:29 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JUGFLIER

I still have not seen a thread that looks at the possibility of what services or perks could be eliminated to bring the cost of AMA down to make it more attractive to all modelers.

Is this a troll???

This is discussed Ad Nauseum in here........
Old 05-11-2007, 08:47 AM
JUGFLIER

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No exeter its not a troll. This subject has not been discussed under those terms. They were discussed under what do i get for 58 bucks. I rephrased to why do i pay 58 bucks for this? then asked them to list what they didn't want to pay for.
Old 05-27-2007, 01:37 PM
flytheedge
My Feedback: (84)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I believe that if the AMA has discounts for both the youth and seniors, they should also have discounts for active duty military. There are so many benefits out their for military, I just don't think AMA has a good reason not to give active duty military a discount. Insurance companies, hotels, restaurants, auto dealerships, etc, etc, etc all give active duty military discounts or tax free benefits. Why SHOULDN'T the AMA give the military a break??? Especially when they're overseas fighting for all of us back here at home who we all, enjoy the many freedoms that they fight for, for example, getting to sleep nice and cozy out of the rain and elements in our nice comfortable beds.
Clinton
Old 05-27-2007, 03:51 PM
50%plane

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Extra_230-RCU

I believe that if the AMA has discounts for both the youth and seniors, they should also have discounts for active duty military. There are so many benefits out their for military, I just don't think AMA has a good reason not to give active duty military a discount. Insurance companies, hotels, restaurants, auto dealerships, etc, etc, etc all give active duty military discounts or tax free benefits. Why SHOULDN'T the AMA give the military a break??? Especially when they're overseas fighting for all of us back here at home who we all, enjoy the many freedoms that they fight for, for example, getting to sleep nice and cozy out of the rain and elements in our nice comfortable beds.
Clinton
This topic has been discussed here recently. This poll is more about discounts being removed instead of adding more. As far as the military goes, if the AMA wants to have a discount, let them, but don't pressure them into it. From a monetary basis, there is no real reason.

50%
Old 05-27-2007, 07:33 PM
decay

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

I voted to keep the status quo. I am a life member which I got several years ago and I am 71 now. Didn't do it to save money. Did it for the STATUS! [sm=49_49.gif]

Yea ,theres a lot of status that comes with a life membership. I hear , with one and $4.00 you can get a cup of coffee
about any where in the country 24-7. Unless you have discount status, then its cheaper but they water it down.

AMA should water down some of their discounts, not offer as much to discounted members.
Discounts dont pay the bills!!
Old 08-11-2007, 04:49 PM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

In the Pres's perspective I believe that Dave was saying they're going to revoke the senior discount???? I'm surprised that we haven't heard anyone talking about that... Maybe I missed it to though...
Old 08-11-2007, 05:25 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: MikeL

You forgot the family discount and the affiliate discount.

Then there's the $1,500 lifetime membership. I'm 31. If I plan to be an AMA member for the another 50 years, that'd work out to $30 a year. For someone younger, that might be as little as $25/yr. For an older fellow, maybe it's no discount at all. I'm sure some would suggest that an actuary be brought in to determine what each individual's lifetime membership cost should be, taking regular dues increases into account.
Do the math. Invest the $1500 in a CD @ 5% and you get $75/yr., more than enough to cover you $58 membership and any increases in the foreseeable future. Those that sign up for life are benefactors of the AMA. Good on them.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:28 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Duplicate post
Old 08-11-2007, 08:44 PM
Jim Thomerson

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think the senior discount was put in on the assumption that seniors generally have less income. In my case that happens not to be true so ditching the senior discount is fine with me personally . I also think being poor, either permanantly or in the short term, is more spread among all adult age groups than it was some years ago. So thinking that seniors particulaly need help may no longer be valid. It looks like the proportion of seniors will continue to increase. My suggestion would be to do a little figgerin' and eleminate the senior discout and at the same time lower all dues a smidgen so that there was a projected slight increase in total dues income. Maybe throw in a small discount for members who sign up for two years rather than one.

One discount not mentioned is the 50% discount for CD's who CD a contest during the year. This was reduced several years ago from a 100% discount. I am, probably irrationally, irritated by this decision. In the discussion was the argument that some CD were cheating in one way or another to get the discount. So we were all hit with a 50% dues increase, which I took to be an insult. If the real problem is financial, eleminate the whole discount. OK fine, but I took it to imply that I was likely cheating, so slap my wrist. If you have never CD'd a contest, trust me that the cost in time, effort, and sometimes irritation, is much more than a year's dues. I still do it to support my fellow modelers, but not to support the AMA.